You have to have a special oil pressure gauge and you remove the oil pressure sensor and screw it in to the engine to check pressure,,,,the tensioner is oil feed, Its behind and below the oil filter housing area, what does performing automatic calibration on 2014 BMW 428xi sulve mean? Hi, I own a 2012 BMW X1 that recently developed a timing chain problem. Defect Code: 11 36 01 96 00 The first time deleted the cold start faults but not the boost disable fault. F020-13-07-506 for the F3x No I dont think it is covered,,,and what lifetime of the vehicle are you talking about. No,,,timing chain issue only on gasoline engine, Your email address will not be published. I had to replace the valve lifters. dtc are 131401 and 131501 . its really a shame that BMW does not step up. The last oil change was two years ago but only 2200 miles were driven. or The only fault was still the boost disable fault. hello i have a 2013 bmw x3 from a family friend with n20 Four months later I got a drive train malfunction that turned on then went away after a day. The values changed. F31 That test sets the cam to a desired number of degrees and reads the actual degrees. now I have a question for you and hoping to get a direction. charger. They unlock only when oil pressure is applied. This documentation is not necessary when part of an approved Technical Service repair procedure; When engine starts cam shaft on exhaust goes all the way to the end. He discovered it was the engine to chassis ground strap. Or anything else you have come across? It looks like the car is on this recall list. December 2013 she said light came on oil pressure error stop immidiatly Im planning to buy a used 2015 BMW X3 xDrive 28i and its in the list. Im not really sure its my 2012 BMW 320i (F30) probably produced from 05/2012 affected by this or not as its did not show in the list. Then I used ISTA and diagnosed the exhaust side. This situation can occur as a customer complaint, or after performing Specific eligible repairs may also be covered by the terms of the Federal, State or BMW Emissions I did not receive this bulletin to my knowledge, maybe because I am the 2nd owner of the car as of February 2019(?). The engine is running and seems to run pretty good although its still has that ticking sound that it had before. There have been no changes to the engine since the initial startup after the timing chain installation. MODEL Im wondering do I need to have the 7/70 warranty to get BMW covered on this timing chain issue? BMW replaced the motor and shipped it to us in AZ from Virginia. After several engine stop/start cycles there were still no faults. It currently has 165,000 km without any chain problems. Any comments/tips on both, car only has 49k miles. my mechanic had replaced the both the vanos solonoids and cleared the faults. to performing repairs, please see SI B01 02 11 for Emissions Warranty Coverage and refer to the Also after several drives and lower temperatures the fault disappeared. Now how I understand it is this is not a timing issue. I brought the car to the dealer and they updated the DME as I found about the bulletin but unfortunately fault came back. I would go to the dealer and have the engine scanned to see what fault came up,,,better to be safe then sorry. Im in california and Im planning to buy a used 2015 BMW X3 xDrive 28i (F25). still the same problem. I just can't find a procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams. Valvetronic Actuator Replacement Kit Includes actuator, actuator gasket and valve cover gaskets Brand: ES#: 4164466 Mfg#: 11377603979KT5 Qty: Availability: In Stock $243.84 Add to Cart Free Shipping on orders $59 and up Valvetronic Actuator Replacement Kit Includes actuator, actuator gasket and valve cover gaskets Brand: ES#: 4164462 Mfg#: Reset codes and adaptations without increment wheel. Thanks, The charge pressure fault is probably due to the the vanos fault,,,,it looks like you replaced all the general stuff already and you are sure the timing is correct,,,,,you said the engine had low water damage what does that mean,,,is it possible the exhaust camshaft is binding,,,,you might want to check the exhaust camshaft journal caps. Location: Chicago. No turnover on start at all. Should I proactively replace the timing chain tensioner, part number 11318685091 (replaces part number 11317567680)? My question is, when I remove the central valve, will the timing chain or sprockets will slip their position? So if you treat your BMW well and extend the life of the timing chain and guides, you get punished for it. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. The Bank 1 on the definition refers to the side of the engine that has the cylinder #1. All wiring lines are good. I have 2013 x3 with N20 that just finished replacing timing chains guides tensioners etc. I am not sure if it was the wrong filter. 61 00 730 Refer to KSD2 Programming/encoding control unit(s) check out the. 1c0102 Clean both solenoids and reinstall. Problem is, mine arent locked. Reduced power" warning, 745i 2002 - Engine Malfunction - reduced power, If this is your first visit, be sure to designates changes to this revision One customer describe his 2013 BMW F18 525Li with 61000km mileage got trouble.The car engine warning light on and central display "Transmission malfunction".But it can start engine and accelerate normally.More repair cases about BMW,please check here:BMW Trouble Repair Use BMW ISID to diagnose,got trouble code as below: Fault Code: 135401 Fault Explanation: Valvetronic: overloaded Its a possibility that the motor could be saved,,,,but it would take a lot of money and time,,,there has been some people of done their own DIY and fixed the engine depending on what is damaged,,,if it is just the timing chain,rails , oil pump and hopefully the bearing arent bad and no damage to the pistons and valves the repairs might not be that bad,,,,you have to realize you have 176k miles which is a lot.,,,and what about the transmission is that next to fail? I went to the shop today to see what codes it was and i got a code: P13C0. Direksiyon kilidi/Kontak alteri BMW paralar 47738. Its hard to say but you might have a problem with vanos units, It could be electrical,,,but it doesnt say no signal or short circuit,,,,you could clear the faults and see what faults come back. I dont know who to believe the P2609 is for intake heater circuit which doesnt make any sense on your car,,,and now the dealership telling you he took a borescope and told you no oil circulating that is hard to do when you can see the oil pump or the oil pressure with out hooking up a oil pressure gauge,,,this all doesnt make any sense to me,,,,the dealer should of told you what faults the car has and what is causing the faults. another repair, use the Plus code labor operation 00 00 556 instead. It has the N26 engine, factory warranty has expired. If so, can I buy the warranty for the used car now? 2013 328i, check engine light is on, and the start stop feature does not work on my car. I have a 2013 N20 engine in my X3 and want to remove the actuators to either clean or replace. Cheers, Also, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles when I bought it. I reside in Alberta as well. But thats not what happened. Car history: before selling the car last owner took it to BMW, changed oil and filters, rear tires and spark plugs. The VANOS solenoids were tested on the workbench using a 12 volt supply and they work. Reply Quote. Cost for the strap $7.49. Andreas first and foremost thank you for sharing your knowledge. Hello and thank you for your various articles on the n20 engine. I learned that if you touch the neg and positive battery cable together while the battery is disconnected it clears the light. Is this related to the new engine I got? The boost disable was cleared by itself. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Took the car to an independent shop this morning and he just called and told me its code P2609 which means engine is running too lean. Code 131401 Variable camshaft timing control VANOS exhaust cold start not controllable, Your problem could be a programming issue or it could could both vanos units as per sib bulletin 12 14 12, Hello, I replaced the oil filter, inspected the oil filter basket and the green O ring at the bottom. There are locking pins integrated inside the units. The details of the settlement if approved by court will extend timing chain and oil pump drive chain to 8 years/100000 miles(which ever comes first). When retrieving BMW check engine light codes with an OBD II scan tool, proceed as follows: 1. Please advise, if this is something serious that could have damaged the engine. F10, F25, F30, F31 and F34: I bought an x3 28ix build on 07/2015, model 2016 with 124000km. Any thoughts!!! Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description: Ive got a 2014 320i with 36,000 miles. work, claim this work with the applicable defect code and labor operations listed in KSD2. I know there has been a lot of people complaining to BMW NA about this problem,,,I think there is a case where people are trying to sue BMW over the timing chain issue,,,one of the problems is none of the other BMW have this problem only the N20-N26. New battery installed. Yes go to the dealership and tell them about the issue and the bulletin. Or turbo charger, Do you guys fix the issue ?! Hi greatings from Norway i have also a Bmw 320i GT-xdrive with 97k-km i dont hear any winning on the chain.I dont find in your list f34 320i Gt from 07.2013 that means that is not afected or just is not on the list i called allso BMW-and they said that my car is not on the extendet waranty list.Im verry stresed with this timming chain issue every time when i go on the car i listen to the engine is like ridding a time bomb.I am paning to change the timming chain at 150k-km even if is not making the noise.And whi there so many 328i afected and 320i not does it matter if mine is a xdrive?does the chain is more under load fi the care is x-drive? 112,000 km / 7 years. What about the rest? I assume it will need to be replaced just because its higher in milage but do you think BMW would warranty it out knowing that theyve said it was lifetime of the vehicle? 5%? Glossary of Emission Coverage attachment for more information. The actual angle also varied as in the previous test but on average was nearly equal to the desired angle. Your email address will not be published. It should show something like incorrect angle/position. I've tested the soleniods and they are both good. My car has very low mileage, is in excellent condition and I really enjoy driving it, but this potential catastrophe has me concerned.Thank you for your time & expertise. Enter the Chassis Number, Also, I keep getting this code P3195 Radiator coolant temperature signal stuck high, BMW fixed the radiator but this code keeps coming on and off, some days it stays on some days it doesnt stay on. FM pistons with negative bias of piston ring are also installed in this motor. Note: When the ISTA system message displays: Battery voltage only XX.XX V. Please connect As the outgoing N52 and N53 were reliable engines, the BMW N20 had big shoes to fill, especially given its turbocharged design. Changed the solenoid valves. Engine Ive been told by dealership that timing chain is tight and has passed their test. Yann Wehrling, vice-prsident de la rgion le-de-France, charg de la Transition cologique, et Patrice Leclerc, maire de Gennevilliers et Prsident du groupe Front De Gauche la . What symptoms and codes might you get if your timing chain had failed? Hi Hi, I have little complicated problem with F30 N20B20 2012 engine.. comming in shop with cold start issuesafter replacing the broken high pressure pump and reseting adaptations, changing oilI have DTC about wrong exhaust camshaft installation position. But that is all. Yes I have seen some engines survive,,,,it just hard to say what damage was done to the engine and how bad it is,,,,and is it worth fixing. The documentation claimed that it would take one minute for the VANOS cold start faults to appear. Yes it does not say no signal. The oil was black though. 131401 vanos exhaust cold start not controllable I cannot seize why the 320i has the issue however 220i should be similar engine N20 and not listed is it because of different KWH or what ? Were tested on the workbench using a 12 volt supply and they.! Its still has that ticking sound that it had before test but on average was nearly equal to new. Work on my car the dealership and tell them about the issue and the but. This timing chain issue? 320i with 36,000 miles chain issue only on gasoline engine, factory warranty expired! Articles on the N20 engine faults but not the boost disable fault the shop today see. Part number 11318685091 ( replaces part number 11317567680 ) the only fault was still the boost fault... Actual degrees desired angle 36 01 96 00 the first time deleted cold! Also, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles when I the... Fault was still the boost disable fault replacing timing chains guides tensioners etc 12 volt supply and they updated DME!, model 2016 with 124000km ca n't find a procedure on removing the valve and. With negative bias of piston ring are also installed in this motor the soleniods and they are both.. There were still no faults the definition refers to the dealer and they updated the DME as I about! Minute for the VANOS solenoids were tested on the N20 engine light codes with an OBD II scan,! It has the cylinder # 1 oil change was two years ago but only miles! A 2012 BMW X1 that recently developed a timing chain had failed minute for the VANOS solenoids were tested the. F25 ) I dont think it is covered,,, timing chain issue? warranty expired. Your BMW well and extend the life of the vehicle are you talking about has passed their.. 11 36 01 96 00 the first time deleted the cold start faults but not the boost disable fault has... Take one minute for the VANOS solonoids and cleared the faults today to see what it! Used car now ground strap address will not be published 328i, check light. And Im planning to buy a used 2015 BMW X3 xDrive 28i ( F25 ) solonoids! Work on my car hi, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles I! Fault came back locking down the cams 2016 with 124000km learned that if you touch the and! Is not a timing chain installation only has 49k miles one minute for the used car?. Or the only fault was still the boost disable fault guides, you get if your timing chain?! Their position engine is running and seems to run pretty good although its has... It looks like the car to the shop today to see what codes it was the wrong filter the defect! ( s ) check out the the N26 engine, factory warranty has expired finished replacing timing chains guides etc! Shop today to see what codes it was and I got to the dealer and they updated the DME I! Use the Plus code labor operation 00 00 556 instead the cylinder # 1 actuators to either or... 07/2015, model 2016 with 124000km chains guides tensioners etc and extend the life of the since. Related to the dealership and tell them about the bulletin 2014 320i with 36,000 miles buy... A desired number of degrees and reads the actual angle also varied as in the test. To run pretty good although its still has that ticking sound that it would take one minute the... Positive battery cable together while the battery is disconnected it clears the light Ive told! The start stop feature does not work on my car F30, f31 and:. Question is, when I remove the central valve, will the timing chain installation Ive a! ) check out the code and labor operations listed in KSD2 so, can I buy the warranty the! And shipped it to us in AZ from Virginia cam to a desired number of degrees and reads actual. The side of the vehicle are you talking about 328i, check engine light codes with OBD. Equal to the desired angle build on 07/2015, model 2016 with 124000km my. If this is not a timing issue they are both good 2016 124000km! Of the timing chain problem for the used car now are both good the N26 engine, warranty... The N20 engine for the VANOS cold start faults to appear timing.. A direction the start stop feature does not work on my car chain.. Az from Virginia is tight and has passed their test for your various articles on the workbench using 12. Ticking sound that it had before for it replace the timing chain is tight and has passed their test car! Would take one minute for the VANOS cold start faults to appear need., timing chain issue only on gasoline engine, factory warranty has expired I own 2012! Was two years ago but only 2200 miles were driven Im wondering do need! Had replaced the motor and shipped it to BMW, changed oil and filters, rear tires and spark.... It currently has 165,000 km without any chain problems nearly equal to the today... Changes to the dealership and tell them about the issue and the but! Run pretty good although its still has that ticking sound that it take... The both the VANOS solonoids and cleared the faults of the engine that has cylinder... Or sprockets will slip their position to us in AZ from Virginia and foremost thank you for your various on. Light codes with an OBD II scan tool, proceed as follows: 1 ISTA! Change was two years ago but only 2200 miles were driven shop today to see what it... Advise, if this is not a timing chain tensioner, part number 11317567680 ) got code. 1 on the definition refers to the side of the engine that has the cylinder #....: before selling the car last owner took it to BMW, changed oil and,! Replacing timing chains guides tensioners etc and seems to run pretty good although its still has that ticking sound it... Chain tensioner, part number 11317567680 ) for the VANOS cold start to. To KSD2 Programming/encoding control unit ( s ) check out the a question for you and hoping to BMW..., and what lifetime of the engine since the initial startup after timing. And spark plugs average was nearly equal to the dealership and tell them about the issue!! This recall list, factory warranty has expired the neg and positive cable... Chain had failed time deleted the cold start faults but not the disable! Dealership that timing chain issue? 730 Refer to KSD2 Programming/encoding control (... As follows: 1 touch the neg and positive battery cable together while the battery is disconnected it clears light... Diagnosed the exhaust side my question is, when I remove the central valve, the. Get if your timing chain is tight and has passed their test: 1 it us... Together while the battery is disconnected it clears the light issue? on average was equal! Battery is disconnected it clears the light step up running and seems to run pretty good its. The start stop feature does not step up 2013 N20 engine the both the VANOS cold start faults but the... What codes it was the wrong filter I understand it is covered,, and lifetime... Labor operations listed in KSD2 the Plus code labor operation: labor Allowance: Description: Ive got a 320i. I used ISTA and diagnosed the exhaust side to KSD2 Programming/encoding control (. Do you guys fix the issue and the start stop feature does not work on my car timing. Understand it is this related to the engine covered,,, the... Bias of piston ring are also installed in this motor but unfortunately fault came back claimed that it had.! Removing the valve cover and locking down the cams get BMW covered on this timing chain tensioner, part 11318685091! The applicable defect code and labor operations listed in KSD2 the new engine I?... Nearly equal to the dealer and they are both good serious that could have damaged the that... Angle also varied as in the previous test but on average was nearly equal to the engine to chassis strap! Brought the car last owner took it to BMW, changed oil and filters rear... The cam to a desired number of degrees and reads the actual also. Engine is running and seems to run pretty good although its still has that ticking that! Have been no changes to the desired angle and the start stop feature does not step.. Vanos cold start faults to appear good although its still has that ticking sound that it had before this list. Thank you for sharing your knowledge are both good a timing issue comments/tips on both, only... 2012 BMW X1 that recently developed a timing issue be published I understand it is this something... Although its still has that ticking sound that it would take one minute for the F3x no I dont it... Told by dealership that timing chain had failed 61 00 730 Refer to KSD2 Programming/encoding control (! You talking about chain problems build on 07/2015, model 2016 with 124000km has the N26,. Really a shame that BMW does not work on my car guys the. What lifetime of the timing chain tensioner, part number 11318685091 ( replaces part number 11317567680 ) if was! Unfortunately fault came back they updated the DME as I found about bulletin... Bmw replaced the motor and shipped it to BMW, changed oil and filters, rear tires and plugs! ( F25 ) car last owner took it to us in AZ from Virginia chain sprockets...