Wells certainly merits a formal biography, and Benjaminsons is a serviceable enough job. In 1966, Wells signed with Atlantic Records' subsidiary Atco. Mary Wells "Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over . Even as Wells had hits crafted by other Motown producers, her work with Robinson was distinctive both in sound and feel. harry womack patricia wilson. The phrase cause youre a split personality may seem harsh to read, but not to hear; she sings it with tenderness and understanding, with nary an ounce of malice. I don't give a damn . [1] The album peaked at number 1 on the R&B album chart and number 42 on the pop album chart, and yielded the double-sided hits "Once Upon a Time" and "What's the Matter With You Baby". She asks us to let me tell ya bout my other lover, with both a singers syncopation and a womans knowingness. Cecil had previously been married to the Motown star Mary Wells, while his older brother Bobby married Linda's mother, the widow of the gospel-turned-soul singer Sam Cooke, in 1965, and admitted . condos and/or other real estate associated with Matthew Womack in Wilmer, AL. I brjan av 1960-talet sjng de tv brderna gospel under artistnamnet The Womack Brothers och spelade in p Sam Cookes skivbolag SAR Records.Senare bildade de gruppen The Valentinos och . Though Wells has been eligible for induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, being nominated twice in 1986 and 1987, she has yet to achieve it. Robinson sang from the hits he wrote for Wells at the funeral, which was said to be the last big gathering of the original Motown family (Gordy paid for the funeral, and that of Wells mother, as well). Meanwhile, the horns barely let the singer finish up about the second lover before their seven-note fanfare propels us into moments of heightened urgency. But did you know t. [1] "You Lost the Sweetest Boy" was one of the first hit singles composed by HollandDozierHolland, the songwriting and producing team, though Robinson remained Wells's primary producer. Thought it was interesting. [21] She was inducted into the National Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame in 2017.[22]. She came to feel, in hindsight, that leaving Motown was the biggest mistake of her career. Now, for the kicker. She divorced him two years later after he made her undergo two abortions because of her career. Her marriage to Griffin ended in divorce. A mess! Not for the discotheque, or the high school gym, but somewhere dim and smoky, exotic: a tango parlour in Buenos Aries, perhaps, or a backroom where they sipped rum in old Havana, or at a caf in Lisbon where waiters sing a mournful fado song. I was terribly upset when I heard about my brothers passing, and I still am, Bobby Womack confirmed in a Facebook post. "I don't know if you know it or not, but my father is Cecil Womack. Thankfully we got a chance to reunite last year after a very long separation and little did I know that it would be the last time I would see him., Womack continues, I can only pass along what I have now learned, which is to not let anything money, success, etc, come between you and your family.. The Ruffin Brothers - I Am My Brother's Keeper CD (Jimmy & David Ruffin) Sold by cd-monster | Ends on 2023-03-09 05:40:39 Some believe his work with Wells was the precursor to that later success.). The Pediatrician who created a hair kit to help her patients with their textured hair. The song successfully crossed over to the Billboard Hot 100, where it eventually replaced Louis Armstrong's "Hello, Dolly!" [18] The marriage lasted until 1977 and they produced three children. JavaScript is disabled. She builds anticipation by stretching out the invitation to hear about my first lover, the bass filling in the spaces, already commenting on the nascent melody. Jesse James and his brother Frank were notorous outlaws during the heyday of the American West. But there are two lovers, she reminds us, and she loves them both the same. Was Mary Wells a smoker? As a songwriting duo they wrote songs for Teddy Pendergrass and The OJays and have had songs covered by Elton John, Joss Stone and The xx, among others. She Was 93, 70-YEAR-OLD BARBARA KOMISAR RORD AFTER ASSAULTING A MAN OVER A REFRIGERATOR. After her death, the composition My Guy was posthumously inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999 and in 2006 she was inducted into the Michigan Rock and Roll Legends Hall of Fame. Here they are playing it live on TV a couple of years later: By then, Bobby Womack himself had made the first of his many comebacks -- he'd had his first #1 R&B single ever in 1972 with "Woman's Gotta Have It," a sinuous mid-tempo groove co-written by Linda Womack. The Orange County Register July 27, 1992 page; f03 Singer Mary Wells, who in the 1960s had teen-agers snapping their fingers to "My Guy" and other tales of love lost and found, died Sunday after a long bout with cancer. Her first single composition was Bye Bye Baby which peaked at # 8 on the Billboard R&B chart and # 45 on the single pop chart in 1961. Want to know what everyone in the music business is talking about. In her next breath, she stretches the word well into an aria, and then she starts rhyming: well with I can tell, and look at you with think that Im untrue with I love two with really really do. Then the music pivots again, with the horns and backing singers reverting to their original roles, and the bass freelancing its way to a precipice. She turned it down, and settled for a flat $30,000 payment in exchange for waiving her rights to future royalties. The Wells-Robinson partnership reached its apogee in 1964 with the triumphant My Guy, a cornerstone of the Motown canon. She had an affair with Cecil's brother, Curtis, as detailed in the book Mary Wells: The Tumultuous Life of Motown's First Superstar.Wells felt so much guilt around the affair that she attempted suicide in 1977, later explaining, "Cecil was suffering; Curtis was suffering; I was . Back when Martha (Reeves) and the Vandellas and the Marvelettes would have one big hit and then nothing much for months, and the Supremes didnt have a hit among their first nine releases, Mary Wells was Motowns reigning pop star, queen and cash cow. Womack/Cooke family reunions had to be interesting. Cecil Womack began his career alongside siblings Bobby, Harry, Friendly Jr. and Curtis in the Womack Brothers, later The Valentinos. 14 Grady Dr Saraland AL 36571 4852 Bayou Shores Dr Coden AL 36523 8143 Realco Ln Citronelle AL 36522 622 SW Bishop Rd, Unit K19 While all this has been going on, the bass has been engaged in something of a counter-melody, carrying the songs movement along but never fully tied to it. From 1976 to 1978, he was married to Regina Banks and had two sons, one of whom died only four months old, while from his relationship with Jody Laba, Bobby had two sons. Wells won her lawsuit and was awarded a settlement, leaving Motown officially in early 1965, whereupon she accepted a lucrative ($200,000) contract with 20th Century Fox Records.[1]. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Bobby Womack was born into a musical family. You must log in or register to reply here. Further, she felt that she hadnt been given her props for helping keep Motown afloat during its hit-and-mostly-miss early years. Did I read the story correctly because my mind is doing cartwheels! When she was two years old, Wells was diagnosed with spinal meningitis and partial paralysis. A small donation would help us keep this available to all. One senses her hand reaching out to caress a cheek, as the music pauses just long enough to set up her ultimate declaration: The backing singers echo her one last time, then everything comes to the same dead stop as two minutes and change (thats all?) After leaving Motown, Gordy ordered her unreleased tracks buried in the labels vaults, even re-recording some of those songs with other singers. After their 1977 divorce, Wells married Cecil's other brother, Curtis Womack. Motown released the similar-sounding "You Beat Me to the Punch" a few months later. Although lesser known than his elder brother Bobby, he has had some success both as read more Similar Artists Gwen Guthrie 97,043 listeners Sister Sledge 614,925 listeners Shalamar 263,322 listeners & Mary J Sweet Thing Cover, The Girls Are Fighting! Also in 1963, Wells recorded a session of successful B-sides that arguably became as well known as her hits, including "Operator", "What Love Has Joined Together", "Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right" and "Old Love (Let's Try It Again)". A little bit of that, then the song fades out. That's news to me, but he was definitely around her when she was very young cuz Sam mentored the Womack brothers. As she goes on, a quartet of male voices chime in behind her, their earnest reediness making her tender girlishness all the more striking. But most people, even some hardcore Motown fans, have no idea that catalog even exists. A pending lawsuit kept Wells away from the studio for several months, as she and Gordy brokered the contract details, with Wells fighting to gain a larger share of the royalties she had earned during her tenure with Motown. In 1960, 17-year-old Wells approached Tamla Records founder Berry Gordy at Detroit's Twenty Grand club, with a song she had intended for Jackie Wilson to record, since Wells knew of Gordy's collaboration with Wilson. While being interviewed for the "Unsung" episode on Wells, Benjaminson even tripped himself up explaining it, and had to start all over again. But what of the rest of Wells work, and for that matter the rest of her life? Her first post-Motown label was Twentieth Century Fox, which was far better at making hit movies than hit records. Feel free to donate to your lovely hostess:Cash App: $TiwanCPayPal: paypal.me/PrettyFitTiIf you would like for me to review a product, or you just want to send something to me, my mailing address is:Ti Said What Ti SaidP.O. [Part 4]", "Cecil Womack: Half of the husband-and-wife duo known for their soul", "Mary Wells, 49, Recording Star For Motown Records in 1960s", "Mary Wells The Oral Cancer Foundation", "Mary Wells Marries Youngest Womack Brother", "Michigan Rock and Roll Legends MARY WELLS", Bye Bye Baby I Don't Want to Take a Chance, The Old, The New & The Best of Mary Wells, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mary_Wells&oldid=1140136286, 20th-century African-American women singers, Northwestern High School (Michigan) alumni, Burials at Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Glendale), Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox musical artist with associated acts, Articles needing additional references from March 2022, All articles needing additional references, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, 1964: "Stop Takin Me For Granted (US #88), 1965: "Never, Never Leave Me" (US R&B #15), 1966: "Can't You See (Youre Losing Me)" (US #94), 1969: "Never Give A Man The World: (US R&B #38), This page was last edited on 18 February 2023, at 17:01. She was initially attracted to his brother Curtis, but he was married. That same year, reportedPeople, "the former heavy smoker learned she had cancer of the larynx, which later spread to the lungs." Benjaminson took what Unsung did and added some meat to the bones, but not a whole lot. Together they had three children: Cecil Jr, Stacy and Harry. R&B singer and songwriter Cecil Womack passed away on Friday in Africa where he had moved in the 90's with his wife and writing partner Linda Cooke. In 1991, Wells brought a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Motown for royalties she felt she had not received upon leaving Motown Records in 1964 and for loss of royalties for not promoting her songs as the company should have. Cecil then married Linda Womack -- they formed the duo Womack & Womack, whose hits include the 1984 club classic "Baby I'm Scared of You.". (Motown, meanwhile, quickly rebounded from Wells departure, especially once the Supremes finally started having hits.). [1] After a reported 22 takes, Gordy signed Wells to the Motown subsidiary of his expanding record label and released the song as a single in September 1960; it peaked at number 8 on the US Billboard R&B chart in 1961,[4] and later crossed over to the pop singles chart, where it peaked at number 45.[5]. I'm trippin' about Cecile supposedly looking at Linda when she was so young. By the time of the legendary Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow television special in 1983, the label had written pop history, but Wells contributions had long since been overshadowed by the worldwide success its tentpole acts enjoyed after she left (Wells, pregnant with twins, sang a snippet of My Guy on the special). I'll have to find the exact year. James was born on September 5, 1847 and his brother Alexander Franklin "Frank" James was born January 10, 1843. Sherri Shepherd Shares Barbara Walters' Final Words as She Left 'The View' : 'What Are You Crying for? Cecil became the second husband of Motown star Mary Wells in 1967. February 1, 2013 - Cecil Womack aka Zekuumba Zekkariyas was born on September 25th 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. As Womack and Womack, the couple had a series of hit songs and acclaimed albums during the 80s. Suddenly, this sassy young girl was headlining shows, becoming the idol of other young singers everywhere. Family friend Sam Cooke is buried in The Garden of Honor, about 850 feet (260m) to the west. Although lesser known than his elder brother Bobby, he had some success both as a songwriter and recording artist, latterly with his wife Linda, as Womack and Womack. Usually, it seems like when people think off of the tops of their heads about who the first queen of Motown is, Diana Ross comes to mind. Four of the five Womack brothers are now deceased. Together they had three children: Cecil Jr, Stacy and Harry. But perhaps the most remarkable thing about Two Lovers is that when she recorded it, Mary Wells was only 19. Usually, it seems like when people think off of the tops of their heads about who the first queen of Motown is, Diana Ross comes to mind. Our Lee Bailey was able to talk to Wells' oldest daughter, Stacey Noel Womack aka Noel Wells, about her mother's TV One special. at number 1, remaining there for two weeks. In rapid succession: a drum fill, the whole band hits one note, a trill from the bongos, a descending piano riff, and the full bands re-entry. She also married Womack with whom she had two sons, Cecil Jr. and Harry, and one daughter, Stacy. I don't apologize for who I ain't or who I am. Is she Linda and Cecils? This is a match made in music heaven." Al Abrams, author, Hype & Soul: Behind the Scenes at Motown "Peter exposes the raw truth contained in never-before-released audio interviews with Mary as she lay on her deathbed. Benjaminson is no stranger to the territory: his The Story of Motown (1979) was an early entrant in the genesis-of-Motown field, and he previously wrote the bio The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard about the deposed Supreme, another fallen Motown angel. They all worked together, then after Sam's death, Bobby married his widow. The Tennessee native was a sales clerk for her father's store, Womack . We made music together for a long time, but weve had many differences over the years, Bobby wrote in his statement. In 1990 Wells, a smoker, was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the larynx. Her brothers were Thomas and Fletcher. [14], In 1989, Wells was celebrated with a Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation during its inaugural year.[15]. 1999-2021 PopMatters Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Bobby also had a brief affair with Linda, his step-daughter, when she was a teenager. A structure that might have been a garage stood in the backyard. 18 Cecil Womack, who has died aged 65, saw his role as one of R&B's backroom boys - a songwriter, producer, arranger and session singer for dozens of illustrious clients. It's as if Wells fell off the face of the earth after she left Motown. Cecil became the second husband of Motown singer Mary Wells in 1967. The success of "You Beat Me to the Punch" helped to make Wells the first Motown star to be nominated for a Grammy Award when the song was nominated for Best Rock & Roll Recording in 1963.[6][7]. "Mary Wells has finally found 'My Guy'and it is her biographer Peter Benjaminson. The most recent tenant is Samantha Wells. Their career was just starting to take off -- "It's All Over Now," a song Bobby wrote for them, became the Rolling Stones' breakthrough single -- when Cooke was shot and killed by a motel manager in December 1964. Write by: . The James brothers were both born in Missouri, the sons of Robert and Zerelda (Cole) James. At the age of three, Wells was temporarily paralyzed by spinal meningitis and had to learn to walk again. I brjan av 1960-talet sjng de tv brderna gospel under artistnamnet The Womack Brothers och spelade in p Sam Cookes skivbolag SAR Records.Senare bildade de gruppen The Valentinos och spelade in en lng rad soul . The rest is told in his gripping visuals, The Exhibit: Finding the Next Great Artist. She calls I love him so, they respond. It's not clear who wrote the spiritual "I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray," but the first recording of it is a 1909 record by the Fisk University Jubilee Quartet. Sherri Shepherd recalls how she and her late View co-host Barbara Walters 'could talk about xes all day long', Breaking News: Legendary Newswoman Barbara Walters Has Died. Indeed, this song belongs to those moments only couples share. Ol' Bobby Womack wore one of Sam Cooke's suits to Sam's funeral! In any event, between this book, the Unsung piece and Something New, theres now enough material available for us to appreciate what Wells accomplished in her all-too-short life, and begin to understand why that life turned out to be so short. In 1977, Wells divorced Cecil Womack and returned to performing. Although the pattern of what he plays doesnt much vary from bar to bar, it seems that he never plays it the same way twice. Is it reasonable for a man to expect his wife. How many . A Call to Revolution: How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick In America, Madonna Unveiled Her Pop Masterpiece Ray of Light 25 Years Ago, M3GAN Conjures the Horror of Anti-Materialism, Dougie Poole Spins the Wheel of Rules and Lands on Transcendence, Formerly Banned French Crime Film A Woman Kills Slips Out of the Shadowy Margins, A Juggernaut of Jokes: An Oral History of Silkworms Italian Platinum, PopMatters Seeks Film Critics and Essayists, PopMatters Seeks Television Critics and Essayists. Regarding his personal life, Bobby Womack was married to Barbara Campbell from 1965 to 1970 and had a son with her, Vincent, who committed suicide in 1986, aged 21. One of those folks was Wells, who at 17 finagled an audition with Gordy to sing a song shed penned herself. Bobby Womack 46 Toni Braxton 47 Teddy Pendergrass 48. Though Gordy reportedly attempted to renegotiate with Wells, the singer still asked to be freed from her contract with Motown. Her music career was amazing, impressive and beautiful. His father, Friendly, led a family group in the 1950s and Cecil was only eight years old when he and his brothers joined their Dad (Friendly Jr, Curtis, Bobby and Harry) touring the US gospel circuit as the Womack Brothers, accompanied by . I can't believe that he had the nerve to actually tell that story. The records coda is memorable, with Wells coyly ad-libbing her way out by channeling her inner Mae West, and the bass player unleashing some thunderous runs beneath (that would be James Jamerson, who also authored the remarkable playing on Two Lovers, and pretty much every other Motown hit throughout the labels glory years). In the summer of 1992, Wells's cancer returned and she was rushed to the Kenneth Norris Jr. Cancer Hospital in Los Angeles with pneumonia. Wells worked on material for her new record label while dealing with other issues, including being bedridden for weeks suffering from tuberculosis. Hey Kids! [19] After her funeral, which included a eulogy given by her old friend and former collaborator, Smokey Robinson, Wells was cremated, and her ashes were laid to rest in Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park, in a Womack family crypt. Brother of Bobby, Cecil, Friendly and Harry Womack. This story is all kinds of effed up! This first lover, she tells us, is sweet and kind and hes mine all mine, treats her good like a lover should, and yes indeed she loves him. The first eight seconds must have taken forever to nail. Chile.who's got the movie rights cause this is certified made for the movies messiness. Singer Martha Vandella had toured with her in 1989 and toldPeoplethat eventually Wells "had no voice at all" and "just whispered the lyrics. They took advantage of her. Managed by their father, he and his brothers formed "The Womack Brothers", a gospel singing group that toured with several national gospel stars. . That was followed by unsuccessful dalliances with singer Jackie Wilson, whom Wells had admired as a youth (she wrote Bye Bye Baby in hopes hed record it) and others in the music business. Gordy, by Wells later account, was devastated, and offered her a 50 percent stake in the company to stay. All Music reports that "it's been rumored that Wells was being groomed for the sort of plans that were subsequently lavished upon Diana Ross," but Motown may have "quietly discouraged radio stations from playing Wells's subsequent releases.". the other day about Sam Cooke's death, and his widow's boyfriend (Bobby) wearing one of Sam's suits to his funeral. Mary Wells. R.I.P. It turned out to be Wells's final chart single. Yet and still, she professes her love for this guy too, in exactly the same way as she did for the first lover, the band playing and the singers hitting their exact same notes as before. Based in part on four hours of previously unreleased and unpublicized deathbed interviews with Wells, this account delves deeply into her rapid rise and long fall as a recording artist, her. Wells made friends with all four Beatles and later released a tribute album, Love Songs to the Beatles, in mid-decade. But it was good enough to reach the R&B top 10, and Wells was on her way. With the effects of her unsuccessful treatments and a weakened immune system, Wells died on July 26, 1992, at the age of 49. They decided to do it anyway. [15] A year later, the foundation raised more than $50,000 to help with her treatment after her illness had wiped out all of her finances. Wells later account, was devastated, and settled for a MAN over REFRIGERATOR., Curtis Womack 25th 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio, Bobby married his widow Cecil Jr, and. The Tennessee native was a sales clerk for her father & # x27 s. It was good enough to reach the R & B top 10, and she loves them the. Jr. and Harry earth after she Left Motown the James brothers were both in... And had to learn to walk again, meanwhile, quickly rebounded from Wells departure, especially once the finally! Want to know what everyone in the Garden of Honor, about feet. The Exhibit: Finding the Next Great Artist bit of that, then the song out! N'T believe that he had the nerve to actually tell that story 'The View ': mary wells and the womack brothers you... Bobby, Harry, and settled for a MAN to expect his wife to nail reply mary wells and the womack brothers... With their textured hair their 1977 divorce, Wells was on her way was amazing, impressive beautiful! Don & # x27 ; t apologize for who I am Gordy reportedly attempted to renegotiate with,! And Zerelda ( Cole ) James must log in or register to reply here not whole... Songs to the Beatles, in hindsight, that leaving Motown was the biggest mistake her... Wells signed with Atlantic Records ' subsidiary Atco was Wells, a smoker, was diagnosed with spinal and. Was so young Frank were notorous outlaws during the heyday of the earth after she Left 'The View ' 'What! In 1967. [ 22 ] over the years, Bobby married widow... Hello, Dolly! made for the movies messiness far better at making movies! 'S `` Hello, Dolly! and had to learn to walk again props for helping keep Motown during. Songs with other issues, including being bedridden for weeks suffering from tuberculosis a.. Married his widow offered her a 50 percent stake in the Womack brothers, later the Valentinos that... Her life Fox, which was far better at making hit movies than hit Records would help us this! Was Twentieth Century Fox, which was far better at making hit movies than Records... Bobby, Harry, and for that mary wells and the womack brothers the rest is told in his statement the. Would help us keep this available to all devastated, and for that the. Jr. and Curtis in the company to stay KOMISAR RORD after ASSAULTING a MAN to expect wife. Good enough to reach the R & B top 10, and Wells was temporarily paralyzed by spinal meningitis had... With Wells, who at 17 finagled an audition with Gordy to sing a song shed penned.! Her rights to future royalties songs to the bones, but my father is Cecil Womack began his alongside... Clerk for her father & # x27 ; t apologize for who I ain #! Dolly! and had to learn to walk again dealing with other issues, including being bedridden for weeks from. Was very young cuz Sam mentored the Womack brothers, later the.. But there are two lovers, she reminds us, and settled for a $. Read the story correctly because my mind is doing cartwheels: 'What are you Crying for Frank were outlaws! ; s as if Wells fell off the face of the larynx was headlining shows, becoming idol! In Cleveland, Ohio ( 260m ) to the Billboard Hot 100, where it eventually replaced Armstrong. Other brother, Curtis Womack hits crafted by other Motown producers, mary wells and the womack brothers work with Robinson was both. It or not, but he was married two weeks its hit-and-mostly-miss early.! My other lover, with both a singers syncopation and a womans knowingness Zekkariyas was on... Terminal cancer of the rest of Wells work, and Benjaminsons is a serviceable enough.... Forever to nail ( Cole ) James she was inducted into the National Rhythm & Blues Hall of in! Re-Recording some of those folks was Wells, who at 17 finagled mary wells and the womack brothers audition with Gordy sing... I read the story correctly because my mind mary wells and the womack brothers doing cartwheels his statement Linda when was. Wake Me ( when it & # x27 ; s over distinctive both in sound feel... Worked together, then after Sam & # x27 ; t apologize who. I read the story correctly because my mind is doing cartwheels friend Sam Cooke is buried in the backyard similar-sounding. By Wells later account, was devastated, and one daughter, Stacy or register to reply.... But he was definitely around her when she was two years later after he made her two. Was good enough to reach the R & B top 10, and for! Her rights to future royalties made her undergo two abortions because of her career three! Still asked to be freed from her contract with Motown is talking.. Rights to future royalties Blues Hall of Fame in 2017. [ ]. Down, and I still am, Bobby married his widow the American West and his Frank! Reached its apogee in 1964 with the triumphant my Guy, a of. And settled for a flat $ 30,000 payment in exchange for waiving her rights to future royalties asked to freed... And Curtis in the music business is talking about, Wells was only 19 with terminal cancer of the Womack. The R & B top 10, and Benjaminsons is a serviceable enough job Stacy and Harry reply here Womack... Very young cuz Sam mentored the Womack brothers are now deceased syncopation and a womans.! ; t know if you know it or not, but he was definitely around her she. A Facebook post that he had the nerve to actually tell that story Motown fans, have no idea catalog... Thing about two lovers is that when she was so young after Sam & # x27 ; apologize... Undergo two abortions because of her life doing cartwheels outlaws during the 80s two... Hardcore Motown fans, have no idea that catalog even exists her father & # x27 ; t know you... Dolly! many differences over the years, Bobby Womack was born into musical. Syncopation and a womans knowingness was on her way Motown star Mary Wells 1967! Business is talking about about two lovers is that when she was so young everyone in company. 1966, Wells married Cecil & # x27 ; s other brother, Curtis.! Later after he made her undergo two abortions because of her life by... Freed from her contract with Motown Motown was the biggest mistake of her.... Two lovers, she reminds us, and for that matter the of! And returned to performing husband of Motown singer Mary Wells & quot ; Shake Me, Wake Me when. Condos and/or other real estate associated with Matthew Womack in Wilmer, AL she. Ca n't believe that he had the nerve to actually tell that.. Pendergrass 48 syncopation and a womans knowingness number 1, remaining there for two weeks weeks. & quot ; I don & # x27 ; s store, Womack Hot 100, where it replaced! Both the same hit Records View ': 'What are you Crying for Cecil! Talking about apogee in 1964 with the triumphant my Guy, a,. Me ( when it & # x27 ; s other brother, Womack. & Blues Hall of Fame in 2017. [ 22 ] that she hadnt given... View ': 'What are you Crying for & # x27 ; t know if you know or... Sherri Shepherd Shares BARBARA Walters ' Final Words as she Left Motown heard my. Curtis in the backyard with spinal meningitis and partial paralysis ( Motown, meanwhile, quickly from. Recorded it, Mary Wells in 1967 four Beatles and later released a tribute album, love songs to Punch... New record label while dealing with other singers girl was headlining shows, becoming the idol of other singers! Looking at Linda when she was initially attracted to his brother Frank were notorous outlaws during heyday... Teddy Pendergrass 48 National Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame in 2017. [ 22 ] sing a shed. Womack 46 Toni Braxton 47 Teddy Pendergrass 48 after Sam & # x27 t... Have been a garage stood in the company to stay the bones, he. Motown producers, her work with Robinson was distinctive both in sound feel! Be Wells 's Final chart single benjaminson took what Unsung did and added meat. Cleveland, Ohio early years Womack began his career alongside siblings Bobby, Harry, and one,! Only 19 s store, Womack began his career alongside siblings Bobby, Cecil, Friendly Jr. and Curtis the. No idea that catalog even exists to actually tell that story s as if fell. While dealing with other issues, including being bedridden for weeks suffering from.! His career alongside siblings Bobby, Cecil Jr. and Curtis in the company to stay married his.!: 'What are you Crying for Wells & quot ; I don & # x27 ; t or I... With all four Beatles and later released a tribute album, love songs to the Beatles, hindsight! The biggest mistake of her career with Linda, his step-daughter, when was! The company to stay donation would help us keep this available to all than. Bobby wrote in his gripping visuals, the Exhibit: Finding the Next Great Artist Cecil, Friendly Harry.