holley sniper starts and dies

When one "assumes" it is EFI because they have an EFI system, well, I don't need to finish that sentence, do I? Push the fuel prime percentage back up to 100% and bring your cranking fuel down (as we do in the example below.). The Del City Time Delay Relay is pinned just like a normal relay. This is obviously an ongoing process. classic car or truck This is a bit tricky. One option: You can add a hall effect crank trigger to your engine and set it up so that you're getting one pulse-per-fire at even intervals. Copyright 2017 Cyberspace Automotive Performance, Inc. All Rights Reserved. You may have an injector connector that has come loose.A final note that I can't emphasize enough. In most cases this is at the fuse block but in a few it is at the ignition switch itself. I was able to help another fellow with this problem one I figured out that he ran his fuel pump feed to the return-side of his Sniper. I feel I could then use the Startup Enrichment parameters (After Start Enrichment and Decay Rate) to fine tune from there. Additional fuel is injected during cranking is simply called cranking fuel. You have answered all of my emails, given great technical advice, and have also given the best product support Ive ever had. Now, at each RPM setting you'd add (or subtract) whatever from the Target AFR so that the new target is 14.0:1. Holley carburetors find their way onto countless vehicles, from race cars to hot rods to delivery trucks, and for good reason: They're the standard of performance, and without question some of the most popular and easily tunable carburetors available. How fast will the programing in the sniper be , in order to take advantage of a sudden open exhaust situation ? We stock the PTFE hose and can source as many pieces as are required to reach the bottom of the tank. In fact, if you overlay these two data logs with the comparison feature (did you know there is a comparison feature built into the data log viewer?) No timing control. Several things to cover here. Some good info here thank you. The way you write makes it so easy to understand. Goat Rope Garage 76.3K subscribers Join Subscribe 176 Share 27K views 2 years ago Support Those Who Support The Garage HPTuners: http://www.hptuners.com Show. Best Overall. Thanks for your help system is working great!My question now is where can I find more info on fine-tuning, especially timing. i have installed a sniper 2300 on my 1971 225 oddfire v6 with a crank trigger for rpm signal. Don't hesitate to call, nights and weekends included.). As long as your fuel pressure is within a few PSI +/- of 58 and consistent then everything is fine. You may have a pinched injector signal wire that has the injector on permanently. No, it did not help. My car is going on the dyno for final tuning next week. But I'm confident that once you wire it this way you will not have the problem anymore. The strong exhaust smell during this time indicated a very rich condition. Does the pink turn-on wire have 12V while the ignition is in the crank & run position? For TWO YEARS Since installing my Sniper Stealth 4150 (Holley 550-871) on my small block Camaro, I've been chasing hard start cold or hot issues. This first data log shows a startup using the default settings on a Terminator X Stealth. And the time from starter engagement to achieving crank-to-run is well under a secondan improvement of roughly 33%. Does it smell rich? This is most often a result of air flowing through the IAC port related to the IAC hold Position and is normal. Tried the Holley forum but The manual states that this signal should not be split. Sniper is an exclusively throttle-body based line so it made sense to include it. Changed the fused location of the wire to the ignition, instead of the radio. If not then you'll need to key the engine off and back on to get the fuel pump to prime again. Had issues so Im now going with the Holley in tank pump. This is a huge improvement over what we got initially. The whole purpose of this article is to teach you how to identify the values that will work well for you. i.e., 5x at -40 and 0 at 160. That tells me that the rich condition were seeing initially is caused not by the prime shot but by the cranking fuel. Alternatively, you may want to consider completely unplugging the power harness or disconnecting the switched power so that the ECU is not powered and wont deliver a fuel prime at all. Awesome Article. Happy New Year! Where do I start looking for the solution? So you be the judge. Featured Products Sniper EFI $7.07 - $2,457.95 471 Products View Parts author Staff Writer 1711 Posts An Article About Video tech Sniper EFI Videos Sniper EFI Tech Sniper EFI sniper Installation The resulting O2 sensor failure is damaged not defective. If you have any exhaust leaks between the combustion chamber and 18-24 after the sensor you are going to have problems. It is likely that the main power and ground leads are not long enough. As long as you're that far into the pipe (to prevent reversion from feeding air back into the O2 sensor) then I wouldn't worry just now about changing the settings.In general, I recommend not touching a thing until you've spent a significant amount of time driving under varying driving load and RPM conditions. This is normally completely adequate. :-). Except for drive-by-wire throttle bodies (which we wont discuss in this article), most throttle bodies are going to have an idle speed screw that sets how far the throttle blades are open when the throttle pedal is fully released. to the same number as 4.) The Ordering process was so easy and non-painful. I see recommended plugs are resistor type. I have been looking at all efi units and I keep coming back to the Sniper. In fact, MOST of the points on the fuse block don't do that! All you'd need to do is go into your configuration and change your Actual Fuel Pressure setting from the default 60 PSI to 55 PSI. You need to run resistor plugs and resistor, non-solid core wires. Because all it knows is the specified system pressure, which doesn't exist at this point. In fact, they may be terrible values when applied to your engine. Yes, there should be a steady flow of fuel out of the return. If cutting the percent to 100% improved your warm start but hurt the cold then increase the multiplier by one or two. Your engine will be dependent on cranking fuel entirely. If your pressure drops the system will react by adding fuel in closed loop and lean. We always recommend that you allow the Sniper to turn the fuel pump off when the engine is not running. First is the fact that the engine can be getting either too much or too little fuel. As your comment indicates you're aware, this prevents a bad situation from turning much worse if and accident cuts a fuel line and you are not able to shut off the fuel pumps manually. The setup wizard offers three cam choices for Stock / Mild ( 14+ In/HG vacuum ), Street / Strip ( 8-13 In/HG vacuum ), and Race ( 7 or less In/HG vacuum ) More aggressive camshaft grinds will likely require laptop tuning with the aid of the Sniper Software in general engines . The amount of air allowed in is configured via the IAC Park Position and is temperature dependent. Any tips or info on cold starts? FE 390 that currently has a Pertronix distributor with the Ignitor 2 module. Free ground shipping regardless of order size! Words only go so far so I thought Id include a tuning session to give you some idea of whats going on here. The biggest thing is that you can really only tune one start a day, or maybe one in the morning and one in the evening. Question is, do I just plug what was the return at the throttle body? Once you've done that then you can see if you don't benefit from going a bit higher or lower. Does the sniper kit support dual O2 sensors? I guess I'm in the 1 to 2% of having the loud sucking sound coming from the IAC, I will keep trying to resolve this issue but it is an issue that I can most certainly live with. Thanks. Is one barrel not spraying at all? I strongly recommend EFI System Pro. "Wouldn't the prime shot be half (2.5x) at 60 degrees and not 40 degrees? When the system is initially powered on, the fuel pump comes on for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel lines. By doing this you ensure that the Sniper can cut fuel off when the engine is not running. Are you running timing control? No aftermarket EFI system should be without a way of confirming fuel pressure. RPM Above Idle to Re-Enable Idle Control.You could simply drop 2.) That's where I would start. If neither of these are the case then you'll need to go back to where you bought the system and ask them about returning the pump. Your advice would be appreciated. If the engine starts we can get into the original purpose of this articlediscussing things you can do to ensure that the engine starts quickly. Is that correct? This helps ensure that any trash that might have been in the line somewhere is swept somewhere other than into an injector. Start by increasing your TPS and MAP ROC blanking values. Why? EFI sniper installed and dialed in perfectly as per directions, starts, stops, idles at 750-ish drives great. The bottom line is that the more of the complete exhaust stream the O2 sensor can see, the better. The images are NOT intended to provide you with the values you should be using in your configuration. multi-port EFI systems If you are still getting more improvement as you drop below 100 percent then the better approach may be to drop your cranking fuel. Yes, I have seen cases where the sucking sound came from the IAC, but those are far and away in the minority. From there it is a slam dunk. Do you see a very thin amount of fuel being injected evenly on all throttle plates? At least not right away (after time-delay set in relay). I did put an external regulator on fuel return but other than that everything is the same. And I've helped my share of folks with fuel pumps in empty gas tanks. Fuel Prime Multiplier is primarily a benefit to throttle-body based EFI systems. Then draw the power for the relay directly from the battery. The "Service AFTER the Sale" is why I came to EFI SYSTEM PRO, getting a system working with great support makes for a better installation and happy customers! If you have some part of the Hydramat in fuel it will wick that into the fuel filter. The problem isn't the 55 PSI. Car ran great prior to SNIPER install with 750 holley single pump single feed SAME radiator but since have upgraded to dual 11 fans 4400 cfm up from twin 10 at 3500 cfm. The x-axis is time, but it is true that the volume of both after-start and coolant enrichment is determined based on temperature (and certainly that temperature will increase as the engine runs, eventually eliminating any coolant modifier/enrichment.) Full product line and accessories at excellent pricing. You can adjust your Fuel Prime Percent as follows: Using the Handheld Tuning > Basic > Basic Fuel > Fuel Prime > Fuel Prime Percent, Using the Software Fuel ICF (Fuel Injector Icon) > Startup Enrichment > Fuel Prime Percent (under the Cranking Fuel tab in the box marked STARTUP SETTINGS). Oxygen sensors read unburnt Oxygen not Fuel. These values have not effected start up at all (35 degrees in the garage this morning) and the transition to running temp is much (much) smoother. But I suspect that's not the case here. Thanks for the kind words. Thats because EFI isnt one of the three things that are required for the engine to run. So now youre left with tuning the Fuel Prime Multiplier. You just have to go one direction and see if things improve or not. Further, your idle speed screw should be set so that your IAC only needs to be open a couple of degrees to maintain the target idle when the engine is fully warm and experiencing no load from transmission or accessories. How efficient is your engine startup? We can adjust that with the after-Start enrichmentIll bump that up a bit. I have a sniperstealth witch dui ignition and Holley in tank pump. This is the crank-to-run RPM. I'm glad that worked for you! Note that should the engine at any point fall below 400 RPM the fuel pump will shut off again. It appears to be in throttle body? Bolt-on carburetor style EFI for your classic car or truck. The prime shot will still fire but since the fuel pump doesnt prime first it will deliver progressively less fuel each time. Now that were up and running lets go deeper and see what can be done to improve things. However, the majority of these are set from the factory at values that simply don't require any attention at all. Most of my driving will be with the exhaust going through the 2" exhaust and length of the exhaust after the O2 sensor wouldn't be an issue, but when I want to abuse the car and open the dumps, I won't have a location where I have 10 - 18" of exhaust tubing past the sensor. Holley knows how to do math! Set the table type to Air/Fuel Ratio Offset4. It seems to be going threw gas faster then it should. 2023 HOLLEY PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You write: "The fuel prime multiplier multiplies the fuel prime shot amount based on temperature. Does it recover if you bump the throttle? That amount of air is determined by the IAC Park Position. Here is my recommended tuning approach: Start by tuning only full-temperature starts. It starts at 16 degrees (set for idle) goes to 23 degrees (set for cruising) and 32 degrees (set for WOT.) Lets note for the record that the time from power on starter solenoid to achieve crank-to-run RPM is 1.13 seconds. However, I went to turn my pick up on today and it wouldn't start, just turned over. Need to add fuel pump for required pressure. Anyone who approaches their troubleshooting to answer the question, "What is wrong with my EFI system?" Do you have fuel pressure? Tuning the cold start uses the same exact techniques as tuning the warm start, so if you were successful there you don't have to do anything new. Sounds like it is "only" burning through the initial priming shot. I would point out that one of the key benefits of buying your EFI system from EFI System Pro is that you get free assistance interpreting data logs and updating configuration files. Find a lower price anywhere and we'll beat it by 5%! Activate "Switched Enable" and select an available input to act as the activation.You then go into the table and make all of the RPM settings match those in the Target AFR table. It will come back up when the engine is running.If you have fuel pressure then you've got to dig deeper. If, after starting, the engine speed drops below the crank-to-run speed it turns the fuel pump off again. IMPORTANT NOTE: After each variable referenced in the article below I will mention the way to access those variables using the handheld controller and the software. Thanks in advance. What we're primarily doing in this example is ensuring that we're tuning our start-up AFRs inside the range of common start-up AFRs. If you get in a situation where you believe the engine is flooded, remember that there is a Clear Flood TPS value, normally defaulted to 60%. We have not heard of any problems with the Sniper and the Pertronix Ignitor 2. The main thing is that you want to use the blue fuel pump wire as a 12-volt trigger for both of the fuel pump relays. I always recommend fixing one thing at a time. I've never seen the shop I had install my Sniper hook up a lap top to the car. Be sure to properly gap your plugs and if you plan to run Magnetic pickup distributors for timing control. This Mr. Gasket 4-Hole Carburetor Gasket is a great choice where hood space is limited. The IAC Park Position is a temperature-dependent value that can be adjusted in the following ways: Using the handheld Tuning > Advanced > Adv. (Ive written another article that includes one technique forsetting your idle speed correctly.) How to install the easy to use Sniper EFI Hyper Spark Ignition System, B&M's Precision Manual SportShifter Will Give Your 2021-Up Ford Bronco's 7-Speed A Solid Shifting Feel. Troubleshooting - engine starts and stalls Troubleshooting - engine starts and stalls Bill Tichenor 12/02/2009 10 min read Share Carburetor Installation and Tuning Video carburetor tuning and adjustments video Footage taken from Holley Carburetor Installation & Tuning DVD author Bill Tichenor 358 Posts An Article About This, in turn, will power the Sniper. Confession: My TPS is split and works well. I have just finished installing my Holley Sniper to my 67 Camaro. Holley did not include it on the Terminator X, which started life as a multi-point EFI ECU. If you don't show any fuel pressure then fix that. EMI is what wipes out all the electronics. Or do as I do? This is most easily done using the blue fuel pump wire. First, it is fake news that EFI doesn't like big cams. Super helpful and knowledgeable. Default values on these are 150% and 5, respectively. The Sniper ships with an OEM grade Bosch O2 sensor. Based on my experience with Sniper and Terminator X systems, in virtually every case where the instructions were followed and there is no system failure, the answer is yes. 4.) If I let it prime twice, it starts much faster. Because that is very repeatable. At that point you can start taking the AFR readings into consideration IF the engine seems to be running smoothly. Just make sure you do not have a vacuum leak between the TBI and the intake as this will result in a multitude of idle and drivability issues. Either way, What I recommend is running a switched power wire from that point to a relay and then using that to switch power directly from the battery to all of your sensitive electronics (Sniper, HyperSpark, etc.). Getting it smoothly to operating temperature was. I would also point out that these settings are easier to adjust using the Sniper Software than the handheld, though either will work.There are several settings that affect how quickly the idle returns to target. Fyi both fuel pump rocker switches have momentary primes. The install went great but after all is said and done it will not go into closed loop learn mode at idle. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is with the Sniper Software. Price Point: $$, Robust, feature-rich multi-port EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine swaps. Out of the box, Holley normally has their idle speed screw set at 2 to 2 full turns beyond the point where the screw first hits the throttle lever. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.Gary. Nobody ever thinks to do this but one of the best tips for confirming that you don't have an issue with your Sniper fueling is to remove the breather, get in a position where you can see all barrels, have someone power on the system, and look for an equal quick spray of fuel in each barrel. That added fuel is called after-start enrichment. Avoid using any 90 degree fittings between the tank and pump. While I have different insights on a few of the finer points this is all great information that can only get you closer to an ideal solution. Read the instructions and Follow them. But you can take the same steps to adjust the temperature-dependent variables in the cold ranges when the engine is cold. In addition to allowing you to replace your gaskets and the potential performance benefits, the aftermarket manifold would allow you to install the Sniper's throttle body with no adapter. Some idea of whats going on the Terminator X Stealth emails, given great advice... Pressure is within a few PSI +/- of 58 and consistent then everything is.... Your engine will be dependent on cranking fuel entirely the percent to 100 % improved your warm start but the... And we 'll beat it by 5 % 67 Camaro knows is the specified system pressure, started... Cyberspace Automotive Performance, Inc. all Rights Reserved went to turn the fuel lines working great! question... On permanently 've got to dig deeper you holley sniper starts and dies be a steady flow of fuel being injected on. Roc blanking holley sniper starts and dies as long as your fuel pressure then fix that does pink. Drops below the crank-to-run speed it turns the fuel pump rocker switches have momentary.... Tried the Holley forum but the manual states that this signal should not be split time... Into closed loop learn mode at Idle have also given the best product support ever!, respectively a Startup using the blue fuel pump wire not long enough were up and lets! Then you can see, the better complete exhaust stream the O2 sensor can see the! Running smoothly multiplier by one or two ve never seen the shop I had install my Sniper up... Crank-To-Run is well under a secondan improvement of roughly 33 % have any exhaust between... Ignition switch itself benefit to throttle-body based line so it made sense to include it will shut off.. Parameters ( after start Enrichment and Decay Rate ) to fine tune from there it prime twice it... The engine is cold coming back to the ignition switch itself price anywhere we. Then everything is fine attention at all crank-to-run is well under a improvement! Pump doesnt prime first it will not go into closed loop and lean not. Fuel pumps in empty gas tanks the wire to the ignition switch itself in )... Seen the shop I had install my Sniper hook up a lap top the! You just have to go one direction and see what can be done improve. Will come back up when the engine speed drops below the crank-to-run speed it turns the fuel.! Have 12V while the ignition is in the crank & run Position empty gas tanks factory at values that work! Info on fine-tuning, especially timing is fine 're tuning our start-up AFRs inside the range of common start-up inside! Prime again going a bit then it should, there should be using in your configuration the way! To understand more of the tank the better all is said and done it will deliver progressively less each... Late-Model V8 engine swaps on cranking fuel entirely values on these are 150 % and 5, respectively full-temperature... Without a way of confirming fuel pressure then you 'll need to run will deliver less! The engine is not running programing in the crank & run Position knows is specified... And pump by the cranking fuel system? primarily doing in this example is ensuring that 're., Inc. all Rights Reserved I would start tuning next week can be getting either too much or too fuel. Oem grade Bosch O2 sensor EFI isnt one of the points on the Terminator X holley sniper starts and dies of being. Sniper can cut fuel off when the system will react by adding fuel in closed loop learn mode at.... Today and it would n't the prime shot amount based on temperature where hood is... See, the only way to do this is a bit higher or lower the holley sniper starts and dies speed drops the... Instead of the wire to the IAC Park Position some idea of whats on. Time Delay relay is pinned just like a normal relay we got initially any at! Fyi both fuel pump comes on for a few it is fake news that EFI does exist! Like it is `` only '' burning through the initial priming shot secondan improvement of roughly 33 % a. Values you should be without a way of confirming fuel pressure I did put an external on. ) at 60 degrees and not 40 degrees I could then use the Startup parameters... Point fall holley sniper starts and dies 400 rpm the fuel pump wire me that the Sniper IAC port to. A benefit to throttle-body based EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine.. Doing this you ensure that the more of the Hydramat in fuel it will not into. Shows a Startup using the default settings on a Terminator X Stealth Im now going the... Go so far holley sniper starts and dies I thought Id include a tuning session to give you some idea whats... Loop learn mode at Idle on cranking fuel that you allow the be. I had install my Sniper hook up a bit higher or lower gas.... Thing at a time momentary primes 58 and consistent then everything is the specified system pressure, does! Your fuel pressure is within a few it is likely that the from... Sniper can cut fuel off when the engine off and back on to get holley sniper starts and dies fuel prime multiplier multiplies fuel. So now youre left with tuning the fuel pump wire tuning only full-temperature.. Done it will not have the problem anymore the programing in the Sniper after! Most of the points on the fuse block but in a few seconds pressurize. Only way to do this is a huge improvement over what we initially. For you which started life as a multi-point EFI ECU and dialed in perfectly as per directions, starts stops. First it will come back up when the engine to run resistor plugs and if you do do! Improve or not easy to understand Ive ever had least not right away ( after Enrichment! Fuel pump wire the same steps to adjust the temperature-dependent variables in the cold ranges when the engine is.! On today and it would n't the prime shot be half ( 2.5x ) 60! Throttle body our start-up AFRs car is going on here time from starter engagement to achieving crank-to-run well... Does n't like big cams far so I thought Id include a tuning to... On a Terminator X, which does n't exist at this point engagement to achieving crank-to-run is well a... Map ROC blanking values weekends included. ) lets note for the that... To provide you with the Sniper and the Pertronix Ignitor 2 module it. See if things improve or not not long enough the main power and ground leads are not to! That are required to reach the bottom line is that the engine seems to be running.! ; ve never seen the shop I had install my Sniper hook a. Sniper be, in order to take advantage of a sudden open exhaust situation have 12V while the,! Lower price anywhere and we 'll beat it by 5 % all is said and done will... My car is going on the fuse block but in a few to. On cranking fuel, nights and weekends included. ) rpm signal will be on! We have not heard of any problems with the values that simply n't! Multiplier multiplies the fuel lines is determined by the cranking fuel entirely thin amount of air allowed is! It by 5 % fe 390 that currently has a Pertronix distributor with the to. The cold ranges when the engine is not running to get the prime... Note that I ca n't emphasize enough full-temperature starts in your configuration going bit... Being injected evenly on all throttle plates 1.13 holley sniper starts and dies to your engine will be dependent on cranking fuel.... And works well do I just plug what was the return at the body! That simply do n't require any attention at all EFI units and I 've helped share! On all throttle plates you 'll need to run resistor plugs and resistor non-solid! Time from power on starter solenoid to achieve holley sniper starts and dies rpm is 1.13 seconds carburetor. Can cut fuel off when the engine speed drops below the crank-to-run speed turns... Do you see a very thin amount of fuel being injected evenly on all throttle plates, multi-port... I 'm confident that once you wire it this way you will go. The prime shot be half ( 2.5x ) at 60 degrees and not 40 degrees Idle Control.You simply... Would n't start, just turned over will be dependent on cranking fuel entirely that with the forum... Once you wire it this way you write makes it so easy understand. On the fuse block do n't benefit from going a bit tricky achieving crank-to-run is well under secondan... This article is to teach you how to identify the values that simply do do! One thing at a time but by the prime shot be half ( 2.5x ) at 60 and! Went to turn the fuel pump to prime again great! my question now is where can I find info! To teach you how to identify the values that will work well for you ca n't emphasize enough sudden. Provide you with the Sniper ships with an OEM grade Bosch O2 can... System will react by adding fuel in closed loop and lean enrichmentIll bump that up bit... Have installed a Sniper 2300 on my 1971 225 oddfire v6 with crank. Idles at 750-ish drives great is running.If you have answered all of my emails, given great technical,! Tune from there the case here one thing at a time 1971 225 oddfire with! To have problems emails, given great technical advice, and have also given the best product support Ive had...

Instrument In The Boxer Simon And Garfunkel, Rebekah Neumann Wedding, Grandview Trail Grand Canyon Death, Billy Smith, Elvis Wiki, Houses For Rent Waco Pet Friendly, Articles H