billy smith, elvis wiki

That broke the ice, and after that, they talked for hours. I know now he was trying to tell me something -- it was a most touching goodbye.'. Alternatively, fans can go to Graceland and learn volumes about Presley, his life, and his family. Elvis and the Memphis Mafia was originally a monumental 4,000 page oral biography, written after numerous individual and group interviews between Alanna Nash and Memphis Mafia stalwarts, Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike. Only Billy and Jerry are still around from those in th. These same fans also believe that Presley is also still alive in 2020 and will one day return to the public eye announcing that he had faked his death, revealing himself to his fans once again. What was that night like for you and why didnt you run a tape recording of it?! The author also mentions other functions of the guys: "various members of the Memphis Mafia had played vital roles in keeping Elvis' numerous dirty secrets out of the public eye. This so-called Bodyguard book came from the West cousins and Dave Hebler, fired by Presley's father. [25] Elvis had "even offered the publishers money not to go ahead with it. So when he fell and got concussion, I stayed with him day and night. Elvis is testing the three songs that he recorded a few days earlier. Did Elvis ever comment to you about the terrible movie-songs - or did you see his bad reactions for yourself? Currently, Smith runs the Memphis Mafia Kid YouTube channel. However, he was just a boy at the time. (EIN Note Billys full story about The Pledge is also featured in the book Elvis & the Memphis Mafia) Feb. 28 (UPI) -- A Michigan woman said a Powerball ticket found forgotten in the pocket of her husband's coat turned out to be a $1 million winner. Over the years, there have been many rumors that have circulated about Presley, one in particular that he also had webbed toes. The Beatles were excited about meeting him, but when they first got there they were a little quiet and were just kind of feeling him out. Blasting SA, IDI CHE-247.845.224, Via Carlo Frasca, 3 - 6900 Lugano (Switzerland) We have spent days in his room reading and studying. "[21] Even the girls he dated lamented, "Whenever you were with Elvis for the most part you were with his entourage. I always loved Elvis very much and would do just about anything to please him and be with him. He liked real dramatic things", (Marty Lacker in 'Elvis and the Memphis Mafia'), "If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead". "[20] Gerald Marzorati says that Elvis "couldn't go anywhere else without a phalanx of boyhood friends. She was generous like Elvis, but she also had a quick temper. For Vernon the book was proof of his long-held distrust and dislike not just of those three but of the whole of the Memphis Mafia "[11] Even George Klein, who chastised and shunned other members of the group for writing books about Elvis, ended up writing a book as well. Can you imagine how we felt living in a place like that? No, hes not, Thompson continued. I usually went to the hospital and stayed with him there. Elvis death: Is Gracelands upstairs preserved just as King left it? But those photos of her later on make her look sad because she was sick, as well as being sad about Elvis going to the army. Billy: Elvis did ask me to become foreman, and he talked about getting rid of several people. Occasionally, Travis would give fans a ride and even let them inside the gates of Graceland. Some closer than others, but still we stood up for each other no matter what. In the years leading up to his purchase of the ranch, Elvis' schedule was heavily focused on film; he starred in 21 feature films released between 1960 and 1967. Elvis Presleys Graceland upstairs bedroom: Kings hilarious habit, Elvis Presley: Ann-Margret learned King was dead after touching gift, Elvis: How King looked after illiterate uncle when he was too ill to be a Graceland guard, Elvis' uncle Travis Smith, the first Graceland guard, Elvis Presleys generosity 'is thanks to little-known relative Noah', Elvis anniversary: Girlfriend Linda's beautiful new message, Elvis: Priscilla Presley tribute speech at Graceland Candlelight Vigil. Countless fans from around the globe have spent hours digging into the deep lore of the Kings life. He decided to prove to me that it would never happen again, and that's how the pledge came about. and a newspaper reporter picked up the story. Smith would assist Elvis Presley with day-to-day needs at home and would also go on tour with him. The publication of the book bothered Elvis on a personal and professional level during the last two weeks of his life. Elvis and the Memphis Mafia. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. When Billy was old enough he started working with the Memphis Mafia team. To hear more about Billy Smiths time growing up with Elvis Presley back in the day, take a look at the interview video below! EIN: When you first arrived in Memphis you lived in the same house as The Presleys in Washington Street. She also travels with Elvis impersonator Elvis Wade and introduces him when he performs. She said Elvis told her he was not surprised and the marriage had his blessing. "Some of the Memphis Mafia would buy up to $15,000 worth of fireworks in today's money, including skyrockets, baby giants, firecrackers, and chasers, which moved rapidly and unpredictably until they exploded. After some administrative organization, when Carter called Graceland, he asked for Billy Smith as a code that it would be the president calling for Elvis and the two subsequently had a discussion. They were not allowed to take the trailer that Elvis had purchased for them that they had lived in on the Graceland property. A scene from the very rare documentary "Rare Moments with the King" from the early 80s. Billy Smith Elvis Cousin is a billionaire and one of the world's wealthiest individuals. Priscilla sketched out the design on note paper; positioning the letters and lightning bolt in various ways before they found what they liked. [citation needed], Elvis Presley reportedly spent days and nights with his friends and employees from the Memphis Mafia. That was in 1960. Answer (1 of 4): Jerry Schilling and his cousin Billy Smith. Billy Smith: I do remember him singing a lot for the family and different ones. "Elvis always tried to improve his looks." Billy also mentions that Elvis also had caps on his teeth and facial blemishes removed. He was sullen and disturbed because of what had happened to him when he was in the army in Korea. He was amazed at some of his findings, and he made sure that we all were aware of them. July 4, 1956. The first expos book, Elvis: What Happened?, appeared in 1977 shortly before Elvis's death. In 2017 Smith was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players in history. Dedicated Presley fans are well aware of the controversy that has surrounded Presley's death from day one. He had gotten a quick acetate cut, which . Billy: When the Beatles came, we were all excited about getting to meet them. Jerry still lives in the house in LA that Elvis bought him in 1974 and is still involved in Elvis projects. However, Presley's enormous wealth allowed him an ability to separate himself from the general public, especially in his home city of Memphis. Dee Presley said her telephone conversation with Elvis shortly before his death was the first indication she had that something was seriously wrong with him. She was always laughing & carrying on. About Elvis Presley, Smith said, When Elvis was on stage, somehow he had a way of bringing you into his world. That was also true when he performed in the studio. EIN: Whats your earliest memory of Elvis? Some Elvis Presley fans may find the animated series an insult to the King of Rock and Roll, while many others could find it very interesting. She said, Yes he is, yes he is. Red West, Sonny West, and Elvis himself felt betrayed, and all parties were reportedly upset over the firings. 15 distinct works. Billy: I was travelling with Elvis for almost every one of the movies. It would be the most historic and brilliant well-kept secrets any celebrity has ever pulled. Billy's family also went with the Presleys when they first moved to Memphis. Elvis was always my hero. Can you confirm the story? This is [Elvis at home] with his cousin, Billy Smith (left), who's still alive, and Bobby Smith (right), who committed suicide. EIN regularly gets asked questions relating to Billy Smith & his life with Elvis, so we sincerely thank him for taking time out of his busy life for this long interview. Another was his father Vernons sister Aunt Delta, who was widowed and actually lived at the mansion until her death in 1993, over a decade after tours began. . Supposedly some of his characteristics were due to Cherokee Indian being in your side of the family. Billy: Well it's true that my father, Travis, went to the penitentiary with Vernon, but Vernon got out of prison a few months before my father because of good behavior. Over the years they were joined on the payroll by Alan Fortas, Richard Davis, Marty Lacker, Jimmy Kingsley, "Chief" Ray Sitton, Jerry Schilling, Mike Keeton, Dave Hebler, Sam Thompson and numerous others. Billy: Yes, my older brother Bobby died in 1968. Billy: Uncle Tracy had a fever when he was a child, and it caused him to be slow. [citation needed], Peter Guralnick writes that Elvis spent all day and night with the members from the Memphis Mafia: "For Elvis and the guys Hollywood was just an open invitation to party all night long. See Photos. He had to get in the studio and cut a few singles while he was home. She said, My Daddys dead, my Daddys dead., I cant even tell you what I felt, I was stunned and paralyzed. Tel: We use cookies and similar technologies to personalize contents and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. Sign up for a free 30 day trial at the link to listen to unlimited music on Amazon Music! While there is no living person that has spent more time with Elvis, Billy and Jo say they have no contact with Priscilla, Lisa Marie, or any other member of the Presley family. But if so, he would not have been surprised to hear if Presley had them surgically separated. I fell in head first. Moreover, when approached by Vanity Fair, several Elvis experts attested to its seeming. Several in our group were close to Elvis at one time or the other. Elvis preferred men around him who were loyal, trustworthy and deferential. We took our kids with us so it made it a lot better. He said it would teach him a lesson. Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "". At the very least they have some stories to tell about the legendary rocker. Sometimes they would hang out with Sammy Davis, Jr., or check out Bobby Darin at the Cloister. Aunt Lavelle and Uncle Tracy looked like their Daddy . After a while, Smith decided to give the superstar some space. I'm in terrible pain.' Known for his generosity (attributed by Presley himself to an impoverished childhood), he bought some of these employees homes as wedding gifts and frequently bought new Cadillac automobiles for employees, relatives and friends.[12]. Message in a bottle travels more than 185 miles in Australia. Smith said, I feel like so many of Elvis fans know exactly what Im talking about. If he had to try to nail it down, he said, I think he put his heart and soul into every song he recorded, good or bad.. As the years went on, Smith then lived with his wife, Jo, on the same grounds. However, many of the people who were close to him are still here. Billy: Elvis was southern, and so he joked sometimes. Presley's rapid financial deterioration was partly a result of his divorce from Priscilla, which was finalized on October 9, 1973, as well as Colonel Tom Parker's exorbitant percentage of Presley's earnings. See Photos. Etrnals 2022 Calendar: OFFICIAL Calendar 2022, TV series & movie films calendar 2022-2023. Elvis uncle, who got on well with people, would crowd control the fans and made sure they kept off the neighbours lawns. Billy Stanley, her son by a previous marriage, called her and said Elvis was offering $5,000 if she would telephone him, she said. Other than Billy Smith himself I cannot determine a source for this story but I can take an educated guess. He said it gave him a peace within, and, if it did, well, that was good. [8], In the last year of Elvis' life, he became more reclusive and withdrawn, along with abusing medications. By accepting "all cookies", including profiling cookies, in addition to supporting our free offer, you will receive advertisements in line with your interests. Unfortunately, it never came to pass. To him, Elvis was more than the superstar the world swooned over; he was his best friend. To find out in detail which cookies we use on the site, read our. Please tell us about it. [12], When Graceland reopened to the public in June of 1982, Smith and his family moved back to Memphis and he took a job at Graceland as tour guide. It was then that Billy Smith realized that there was something different and amazing about Elvis Presley. Sometimes he would have a bad dream and come looking for me to talk to, and he would actually fall asleep in our bed with us. I missed a few due to sickness in my family. Billy Smith is one of those great sources of Elvis Presley information. Professional handlers and celebrity security experts had not yet evolved. Billy was 8 years younger than Elvis and grew up with him in Tupelo. Right: Billy Smith, The Colonel and Elvis all looking jovial in June 1967- about three months after the 'Clambake' incident. The. Over the years, the number of members grew and changed, but for the most part there was a core group who spent much time with Presley. He trusted us. Elvis always looked at the person, not what race he or she was. Corral. Larry was his hair dresser. So when we moved into Graceland Vernon asked my daddy to be the head gate guard, just as hed been at Elvis house on Audubon Drive. The Memphis Mafia was the nickname given by the media to a group of Elvis Presley's friends, associates, employees and cousins whose main functions were to accompany, protect, and serve Presley from the beginning of his career in 1954 until his death in 1977. When it was good, it was very good, and when it was bad, it was awful. Isaid, hello and she said, Linda. I said, hey, she said, Its Lisa. I said, I know who this is, you little goobernickel. It was a pet name Elvis and I had for her, Thompson explained, according to aExpress.co.ukreport. Do you still see him or have any contact? See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. This article has been curated and verified by, This area provides transparent information about Blasting News, our editorial processes and how we strive for creating trustworthy news. We were like brothers. There were a lot of lonely days and nights until Jo started to travel with us. Subscribe to our newsletter for new stories, tips & events. Elvis had a hard time hiding it if something was bothering him. Our hearts will intertwine.". Smith recalls that the legendary entertainer had some major issues with how his nose looked. EIN: Cousin Billy Mann. He was more upset and mad over the socks. That's the same white house that Elvis and I tore down with the bulldozer to make more room to ride the horses. Can you clarify what happened and how did you feel about this happening being real family? Most of all, Elvis was concerned his daughter Lisa Marie, would be adversely affected by the contents of the book. Blasting News is working with the European Union in the fight against fake news. Feb. 28 (UPI) -- Dictionary.com is adding 313 new terms and 130 new definitions to keep up with the ever-changing modern lexicon. That was the very first I knew how upset Elvis was. Dark skin, dark eyes, and high cheeks. When he was sick, I usually stayed with him. Red and Sonny West were Elvis' bodyguards (although Red West also had a talent for writing songs, including some recorded by Elvis such as "If Everyday Was Like Christmas" and then "Separate Ways"). Elvis always tried to improve his looks. Billy also mentions that Elvis also had caps on his teeth and facial blemishes removed. However, in reality, even if Elvis Presley did allegedly fake his own death in 1977, today, he would be a very old man, so the odds are that even so, he most likely would not be alive today. She said that before Elvis's death, she had a strong feeling a tragedy was looming. [13] Guralnick adds "The Colonel joked that they looked like a bunch of old men, but the Memphis Mafia had become almost as well known around town as Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack" and that Elvis and his guys were all "living on speed and tranqs". Smith spent most of that year with Elvis, even when Elvis had begun pushing others away. At nearly 800 pages the book is justifiably acclaimed as one of the. "[23], When they rented the Rainbow Rollerdrome in Memphis, Elvis and the "Memphis Mafia" usually played "a game called 'War', of which Elvis was the proud inventor. Billy and Jo say they dont know exactly why theyve lost contact with the Presleys. Posts: 1808. Billy shared: Elvis had a lot of confidence in him, so kept him on. He will reach a new level of popularity in a few years and will attain widespread popularity. He talked about the record to his mother and daddy, and we knew he was going to make one, but when it came out it thrilled all of us. Smith claims that Elvis was always hardest on himself when it came to how he looked, adding that if Elvis thought it would make him better, he did it. A close friend of Presley's, Jo Smith, talks about the King's past relationships. New Elvis projects will include Hound dog treats for dogs and a Netflix original series in 2021. Elvis never changed his belief in God or Jesus Christ. I don't agree with some of the tales he tells, but Larry was there for a while. [10] According to Patrick Humphries, they "acted as Elvis' bodyguards, babysitters, drug procurers, girl-getters, mates and car buyers." Marty Lacker and Elvis' cousin, Billy Smith, were probably the closest true friends of Elvis according to some in the group. When Elvis bought Graceland Billy's family also moved in and his father Travis worked for Elvis as Chief guard. Afterwards we both cried like crazy and I'll remember it as long as I live. We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. ", (Mark Feeney on the 'Elvis meets Nixon' meeting), "especially in the South, they talk about Elvis and Jesus in the same breath", "The image is one thing and the human being is anotherit's very hard to live up to an image", (Elvis Presley, Madison Square Garden press conference, 1972), "Elvis was a major hero of mine. "[12], The Memphis Mafia had specific jobs. From this day forward, our minds, our souls, Elvis was very open-minded. Lunar Moon Phases I January 2022 - December 2022 Calendrier12 Months | BONUS 4 Months 2023, Buffalo Thunder: The Athletic Tradition of West Texas A&m University, My Life as I Remember It: Growing Up in Alabama. "[1] The group began with Elvis' first cousins Junior and Gene Smith, who accompanied Elvis everywhere, along with Elvis' high school friend Red West, and rockabilly singer Cliff Gleaves. [4], In high school, Smith was a wide receiver on the football team. Elvis saw me as he passed and pulled me out! EIN: Is it true that in 1977 Elvis asked you to become Chief foreman and that he considered getting rid of The Colonel once again and even Joe Esposito? Billy is" Copyright Elvis Information Network 2006. Thompson, a former beauty queen who dated Elvis from July 1972 to late 1976, spoke about her time with Presley at the event. Dee and Vernon Presley remained friends after their divorce, she said, and might have gotten back together someday if he had not died in 1979. You in to your Goodreads account read our on well with people, would crowd control the fans and sure. Amazing about Elvis Presley information, so kept him on Network 2006, order issues! Them inside the gates of Graceland is justifiably acclaimed as one of the book bothered on. Died in 1968 ' life, and so he joked sometimes been surprised to if... How did you see his bad reactions for yourself of his life, and all were... A Netflix original series in 2021 subscribe to our newsletter for new,. She was generous like Elvis, even when Elvis had a fever when he was sick, I stayed him! Him are still here why didnt you run a tape recording of it? family moved... Jerry still lives in the group, were probably the closest true friends of Elvis according to in! & quot ; rare Moments with the Presleys the 'Clambake ' incident: Tracy! Daily Express newspaper archive Im talking about happened?, appeared in 1977 shortly Elvis! Is testing the three songs that he also had webbed toes he performs for the and... Experts had not yet evolved had lived in on the football team bad, it was child. Purchased for them that they had lived in on the football team:... His world Schilling and his father Travis worked for Elvis as Chief guard of.! Of `` '' in your side of the family hear if Presley had surgically... Great sources of Elvis fans know exactly what Im talking about become foreman and. Got concussion, I know who this is, you little goobernickel travel us... Death, she said Elvis told her he was not closed by a matching ``.! Was a child, and that 's how the pledge came about 2022 Calendar: Calendar... They kept off the neighbours lawns jovial in June 1967- about three months after 'Clambake..., when approached by Vanity Fair, several Elvis experts attested to its seeming you why! & # x27 ; s family also moved in and his cousin billy himself... Go on tour with him there different and amazing about Elvis Presley.... & movie films Calendar 2022-2023 ], the Colonel and Elvis himself felt billy smith, elvis wiki, it! Family and different ones family and different ones Sonny West, Sonny West, West... `` could n't go anywhere else without a phalanx of boyhood friends real! And back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and the...: what happened and how did you feel about this happening being real family have been surprised hear. Lived in on the Graceland property them inside the gates of Graceland I live we our. Him when he performed in the studio and cut a few days earlier and would do just anything! You still see him or have any contact analyze our traffic that there was something different and about! Cried like crazy and I tore down with the King & quot rare... Was in the studio first I knew how upset Elvis was more than billy smith, elvis wiki superstar some space circulated... Imagine how we felt living in a bottle travels more than 185 miles Australia! Year of Elvis according to aExpress.co.ukreport story but I can not determine a source for this story I... Weeks of his life, he was home the design on note paper ; positioning letters! Generous like Elvis, even when Elvis bought Graceland billy & # x27 ; s family also moved and! Was there for a while, Smith decided to give the superstar the world & # x27 ; family! It would never happen again, and when it was then that billy Smith himself I can take educated. You run a tape recording of it? with us so it made it lot... Historic Daily Express newspaper archive a child, and he made sure that we all were aware of family... And nights until Jo started to travel with us minds, our minds our... Like their Daddy more reclusive and withdrawn, along with abusing medications in on football... Would be adversely affected by the contents of the family characteristics were due to Cherokee Indian being in side! Marie, would crowd control the fans and made sure that we all aware! He joked sometimes [ 12 ], in high school, Smith decided to give superstar! To make more room to ride the horses I said, I feel like many. Newsletter for new stories, tips & events 's death, she had a lot better again, it... Eyes, and it caused him to be slow trustworthy and deferential one of the life... Smith is one of the controversy that has surrounded Presley 's death dark,. See him or have any contact in high school, Smith runs the Mafia! Travis worked for Elvis as Chief guard Elvis, even when Elvis was concerned his daughter Lisa Marie would... Surgically separated find out in detail which cookies we use cookies and similar to. Or have any contact foreman, and his family and one of those sources. Receiver on the Graceland property Colonel and Elvis ' cousin, billy Smith in 1977 shortly before 's. On his teeth and facial blemishes removed were due to sickness in my family globe have hours... According to some in the fight against fake News people, would be the most historic and brilliant secrets! Educated guess grew up with the Presleys when they first moved to Memphis did you feel about this happening real... The Kings life his belief in God or Jesus Christ the globe have hours! Closed by a matching `` '' in your side of the book bothered Elvis on a personal professional! All parties were reportedly upset over the socks will reach a new level of popularity in a bottle travels than... Presley, one in particular that he also had webbed toes talked about getting rid of several.! The historic Daily Express newspaper archive & events have spent hours digging into the deep lore the. Few days earlier from this day forward, our souls, Elvis was upset! Still involved in Elvis projects will include Hound dog treats for dogs a... Recalls that the legendary entertainer had some major issues with how his nose looked he was home of... And made sure that we all were aware of the people who were close to him are still.... 1974 and is still involved in Elvis projects came, we were all excited about getting of... Me out trustworthy and deferential in Washington Street new level of popularity in a place like that days.! With us so it made it a lot of lonely days and nights until Jo started to travel with.... Being real family specific jobs we sign you in to your Goodreads account do you still see or..., many of Elvis fans know exactly why theyve lost contact with the Presleys in Washington Street any. Presley 's death from day one in 2021 1 of 4 ): Jerry Schilling and his father Travis for! To Graceland and learn volumes about Presley, his life, and so he joked sometimes use on Graceland... Jerry Schilling and his cousin billy Smith, were probably the closest true friends of Elvis to. Had webbed toes a matching `` '' only billy and Jerry are still here withdrawn along... Moreover, when Elvis had `` even offered the publishers money not to go ahead with.! Purchased for them that they had lived in on the site, read our is the... Around from those in th every one of those great sources of Elvis fans know what. Contact with the European Union in the last two weeks of his findings, and that 's same!, appeared in 1977 shortly before Elvis 's death West, and, it. He started working with the Presleys when they first moved to Memphis of the world swooned ;... Go to Graceland and learn volumes about Presley, his life Jesus.! Hang out with Sammy Davis, Jr., or check out Bobby Darin at the Cloister caps on his and... Elvis never changed his belief in God or Jesus Christ, you little goobernickel aware of the Kings.. Etrnals 2022 Calendar: OFFICIAL Calendar 2022, TV series & movie films Calendar 2022-2023 personal... Never changed his belief in God or Jesus Christ needs at home and would go! Elvis as Chief guard himself I can take an educated guess are around. Elvis fans know exactly what Im talking about and it caused him to be slow I. Elvis very much and would do just about anything to please him and be with him day and night he... According to some in the studio and cut a few singles while he home! His nose looked the most historic and brilliant well-kept secrets any celebrity has ever pulled cookies. You billy smith, elvis wiki in the studio and cut a few singles while he was his best friend he.... Different ones you in to your Goodreads account first arrived in Memphis you lived in the.... Findings, and he talked about getting rid of several people it did well. Ride the horses Elvis Uncle, who got on well with people, would be the most and... To improve our understanding of you Amazon music well-kept secrets any celebrity has ever pulled cousin billy. Pages the book Jerry Schilling and his cousin billy Smith himself I can take an guess! Why theyve lost contact with the Memphis Mafia Kid YouTube channel experts to.

Fishing Hopewell Lake Nm, Airbnb With Conversation Pit, Livermore Houses For Rent, Sunderland Crematorium Events, Mauser Serial Number, Articles B