seneca scott oakland mayor

100% remote. margin-bottom: 4px; a[aria-expanded=true] .fa-chevron-right { display: none; } position: relative; Were going to need to be mindful not to waste opportunities. } Youre referring to the rental registry thats being set up by the city? This was obviously a struggle: did they defund, did they not defund? .infobox {

} He lost in the general election on November 8, 2022. } The Roots are outgrowing themselves quickly. color: #6db24f; We have the OakHella festival on 8th Street between Campbell Village and Acorn, a street thats been one of the most bloody streets in Oakland when you count just how many people have died on it. I dont want to make too many assumptions about why people think there is an adversarial relationship. })(); See also: Ballotpedia's Candidate Connection. Sheng Thao is a daughter of refugees who has lived in Oakland her entire adult life. Sep. 4, 2022 6 UPDATE: Mayors Libby Schaaf and London Breed have picked a candidate in the Oakland mayor's race. .election_results_text { overflow-x: auto; .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { You want public schools to be reimagined or repurposed. And I can go on. Round 5 text-align: center; a.communitylink { color:black; font-weight:bold; } RELATED: Activist Seneca Scott announces run for Oakland mayor. .inner_percentage, .inner_percentage.Nonpartisan, .inner_percentage.Independent, .inner_percentage.Constitution, .inner_percentage.unknown { Beasley, who set down roots in The Lower Bottoms 60 years ago, creates massive, abstract metallic sculptures of majesty and soaring dignity; it was, I thought, a fitting location for . font-size: 5px; All Rights Reserved. We waste money in Oakland. Despite the Silesian Voivodeship's name, most of the historic . $('.collapse').collapse('hide'); He also said he is not dropping out of the mayor's race. Often the City Council doesnt feel like the city administrator is enacting the policies and laws theyve approved. background-color: #f9d334; } We have an expert and we pay him: the police chief. We need to attract more soccer. font-size:0.58em; } width: 100%; The garden. } border-radius: 6px; The neighborhood organizer said hell restore rule of law in Oakland and make the city more economically resilient. } var s = "640055b707964"; $('.hideResponses').on('click', () => { $('#emessage640055b707964').empty(); In recent years there have been several examples of tension between the City Council and city administrator. But that doesn't mean he was inactive. 3,716 votes (2.98%) My choice. width: 50px; width: 100% }

Im the only candidate pushing aggressively for a charter amendment for an accountable Oakland. So just to be clear, are you saying you feel like the police department financially hasnt been supported enough, and you would provide more support? .votebox_bp_logo { I would say dark horse, its more apropos. Second, we need more California Highway Patrol. Last year, he founded Neighbors Together Oakland, a nonprofit describing itself as a post-partisan organization of solutionaries who are active in being the change we want to see in our world, which filed a lawsuit against the city to try to force it to carry out its Encampment Management Policy, which determines how services are provided to homeless camps while also banning camping in most parts of Oakland. Along the way, hes gained endorsement from pro-police groups like the Coalition for Better Oakland. .inner_percentage { As a city we must overcome our monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness. Regarding the last budget written by the mayor and approved by the City Council with amendments, was there anything in that budget that you objected to or would have cut? height: 56px; position: absolute; He moved to Oakland in 2012 while working for the labor union SEIU 1021 and lives in the Lower Bottoms neighborhood. Just after 10 p.m. on Oct. 30, 2021, Oakland police officers were flagged down by a man at the corner of Peralta and 8th streets in West Oakland. $(".collapse-all").on('click', () => { Im a worker advocate. let item = jQuery('.votebox .indicate_scroll').get(index); margin-bottom: 0px; const abcde =JSON.parse(decodeURIComponent(x)); Following the arrest, the Alameda County District Attorney filed charges against Scott in December 2021 for carrying a concealed firearm in a vehicle and on his person and brandishing the weapon, all misdemeanors. overflow: hidden; | }; I was heavily involved with helping him, introducing him to the neighborhood, making sure he could put up surveillancethink about it, thats what we did, we surveilled peopleand we used that data to make the case that people were driving at excessive speeds through residential neighborhoods, and we got traffic calming measures to 8th Street. Thank you for supporting The Oaklandside and being a part of our community. I believe that we need to build a parallel system thats localized and decentralized at the same time that our current systems economy is decaying. } margin-top: 16px; Mayor Ignacio De La Fuente, fmr Oakland councilmember Gregory Hodge, attorney Tyron Jordan, fmr library commissioner Peter Liu Treva Reid, councilmember, Oakland John Reimann Seneca Scott Loren Taylor, councilmember, Oakland Sheng Thao, councilmember, Oakland Allyssa Victory Villanueva, attorney. .results_row { }) left: 0; Any rock you turn over in Oakland, theres missing money and a lack of accountability. But we need business improvement districts that will support these things. font-weight: 300; The officer was flagged down, and the man who pulled the knife fled the scene with our stolen property before the officers could stop him. vertical-align: middle; width: 43%; text-align: center; [Editors note: we asked Scott to email us studies showing the effectiveness of license plate readers in stopping crime, and well post them here if he responds.]. Were journalists for Oakland. The Oaklandside relies on reader support to remain free for everyone in our community. No one does a good job if they dont feel respected. left: 0px; let scrollHeight = jQuery('.results_table_container').get(index).scrollHeight; Counties | We should do the same thing with the sideshows. text-align: center; Thao is a Democrat. He earned his B.A. Those were incredibly complex negotiations. text-align: left !important; I think its going to take a sophisticated leader who understands that but also has the common sense to know, ok, we dont have enough cops to staff 911 beats right now so you better hire some more cops to cover the citys 911 beats. According to a sheriffs report, Liu called 911 and complained that there were trespassers on property he said he owned. } position: absolute; .inner_percentage, .inner_percentage.Nonpartisan, .inner_percentage.Independent, .inner_percentage.Constitution, .inner_percentage.unknown { Youre probably the most vocal candidate about your criticism of the citys current approach to homelessness and encampments. She also taught at Edna Brewer Middle School this summer, and the food was consistent there as it was at the middle school I went to, I forget its name, where I made a big noise about the food quality. People are desperate. } Round 9 const abcde =JSON.parse(decodeURIComponent(x)); .contact_office { margin-top: 0.3em; margin-bottom: 0em;margin-right: 0.5em;} top: -120px; $('.hideResponses').on('click', () => { background-color: #db0000; Why would you invest in a city that is closed to business when everyone else is not? [Editors note: we asked Scott to provide us with information about these cases, and well post them here if he responds.]. .hideResponses { display: none;} People travel from states over to come to Oakland sideshows to document it, for Youtube documentaries that get tens of millions of hits. Its your job to stop the illegal dumpers, drug dealers, and sex traffickers from preying on us. jQuery( ".votebox" ).each(function( index ) { Check out Bay Area safety tracker, Tracking the drought: Map shows conditions across SF Bay Area, Bay Area Life; Sundays at 6:30 p.m. on ABC7, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf wins re-election. padding-left: 0; $("#round640055b6cc5e4").val($("#round640055b6cc5e4").children('option').length).change(); .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h5.votebox-header-election-type { } I said, Can you just not take their advice and use them and do whats right? He said, I guess., [Editors note: in February the City Council approved using surveillance cameras to catch illegal dumpers, but the program is limited to a few specific areas. $('.collapse').collapse('show'); And everyones seen the debate. .votebox_legend .non_result_row { } Seneca Scott speaking at a mayoral candidates forum at Laney College. Three fires a day in homeless encampments. font-style: italic; We could not only reclaim lots of properties that arent being used or are being dumped on, but we could also provide a sense of pride and meaningfulness to the community, jobs, and nutritious food. .indicate_scroll { So right in there, theres no political delineation of power because if the mayor has an agenda and that agenda is opposed by the majority of the City Council, then they can thwart the mayors agenda. Are there any accountability measures involved? overflow-y: auto; If so, what concrete steps would you take to do that? $('.showResponses').on('click', () => { It also helps your family, friends and Oakland neighbors have access to reliable, independent reporting. background-color: #f9d334; color: #fff; Housing projects and socialized housing absolutely positively need to be on the books soon, considering we have the great unwashed 2.0 playing out before our very eyes. Ten candidates will be on the November ballot for Oakland, California's mayoral race. Scott replied to Liu's email within two minutes with just one word: "Protest!?

, Select round: Round 2 $('.hideResponses').hide(); } display: inline; margin: 8px auto; padding-left: 0; Nutrition is just as important as the item itself and the nutrition density is significantly increased when you grow food locally. color: #888; Seneca invites you to be a part of his campaign. width: 250px; Theres just no comparison to other cities. color: black; .rcvtooltip:hover span { It has to be about things connecting us, and I think an investment in that is paramount right now. .large-date { text-align: center; margin-top: 30px; margin-bottom: 20px; font-size: 20px; font-weight: 600;} OAKLAND, Calif. - Oakland's mayoral candidates will spar Tuesday evening in a live forum. We need an independent office of the controller and we need an economist to help us prioritize our budget, to figure out what were going to do about our unfunded liabilities, considering 20% of Oaklands budget comes from COVID relief funds and we were bailed out essentially from those. Elections in 2023 | .votebox-results-cell--check { Were going to move on to questions about the economy. We should renew that investment. $('#' + this.value + s).show(); .votebox-scroll-container { Cutting the arts to Oaklands high schools is a reason why youre creating a new root cause every day, where you lose your children, right, who dont have anything to do to express themselves, and they start to express themselves in ways that are unhealthy and desperate cries for help. right: 0; .votebox-results-cell--number { height: 22px; width: 35px !important; text-align: left !important; Oakland has the benefit of having both a port, a perfect Mediterranean climate, and a year-round growing season. } According to him, her grandfather was one of the 25 children of Jeff Scott, one of . Seneca Scott. Are there work plans involved? .rcvrace_header.Green { I love the WNBA idea [to attract a womens basketball team to Oakland]. I dont think its served us well. if (l > 1){ display: block; } }

, See also:Mayoral election in Oakland, California (2022),

According to Scott, they were attempting to steal a water heater from a community garden he manages. position: absolute; A donation to The Oaklandside goes beyond the newsroom. text-align: center; Right? .votebox_legend { color: #fff; The words were used. Seneca Scott did not complete Ballotpedia's 2022 Candidate Connection survey. We want to ask you about gun violence. font-weight: 300; Seneca Scott for Oakland Mayor. vertical-align: top; .mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell--text, They need to access housing or shelter in a way thats meaningful for them. Reid has raised $211,560 the third-highest sum of any contestant. width: 100% !important; The fact that OUSD district teachers get paid 35% less than teachers in surrounding areas leads to a high level of attrition and a low talent pool. position: relative; } else { a[aria-expanded=false] .fa-chevron-down { display: none; } It also helps your family, friends and Oakland neighbors have access to reliable, independent reporting. }) Can Oakland become a filmmaking hub? I think that is a better solution. Credit: Amir Aziz Scott,. During that campaign, he told The Oaklandside he felt OPDs budget was too bloated and that some neighborhoods are over-policed, but he also said he feels there isnt enough enforcement of laws in the city. Until someone gives me another idea here, Im gonna roll with more officers. display: table; One of the squatters had a baby in a crib and the rest of the squatters accused me of child endangerment and the Alameda County Sheriff claimed they cant verify me to be owner at the time and told me they have to take someone into jail and theyve decided to take me instead for child endangerment. } Thats all framing. width: 50%; .results_text { var ex_votes = t - abcde[this.value].votes; .votebox-results-metadata-p { background-color: grey; height: 50px; So again, we need more officers. School districts | How safe is your neighborhood? In phase one, we send the Urban Compassion Project and other light-hearted organizations that arent going to waste money and know how to account for it, who have a work plan and accountability structures with the city with the money were paying them. in history from the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1998. width: 90%; OAKLAND, CALIF.Gov.That was the year Gerald Ford was president, Steve Jobs helped found Apple and the original "Rocky" movie was playing in theaters.of 10 during the 6A swimming and diving championship meet at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center at the . display: inline-block; Thank you. We need to set things up so we can have healthy communications between these departments. Are we kidding ourselves now? .large-date { text-align: center; margin-top: 30px; margin-bottom: 20px; font-size: 20px; font-weight: 600;} @media screen and (max-width: 350px) { Incumbent Mayor Libby Schaaf, a Democrat,. .rcvvotebox, h5.rcvrace_header, .rcvresults_text, .rcvresults_table_container, .rcvvotebox_legend { display: inline-block; I also like soccer. Its [the citys] job to provide services that are not arbitrary and capricious. 50:59. And when it was being weaponized against Black developers in West Oakland, who were building affordable housing, until it blew up politically and they had to recuse themselves, all of a sudden, those CEQA violations went away. Thats not how thats supposed to be used. Thank you for supporting The Oaklandside and being a part of our community. clearInterval(nTimer); Im a member of Safe 8th Street, where we used speed trap cameras to get roundabouts, which everyone thought was impossible, but Tim Courtney [an 8th Street resident] is such a badass; he made it happen because he was relentless in his advocacy for traffic calming measures. We have laws on the books for reckless driving. The numbers are always changing and I dont want to use outdated numbers, but a good chunk of [weapons] now are found to be ghost guns. Her current term ends on January 4, 2027. $('#candidate-connection-email-150698').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-email'); }); How do you square some of the statements youve put out there with that responsibility?
   .rcv_select {  BondGraham's work has also appeared with KQED, ProPublica and other leading national and local outlets.        margin-top: 0px; It is situated in the Silesian Voivodeship (administrative division) since 1999, and was previously the capital . Its a combination of waste and corruption if you ask me.        padding-bottom: 5px; Because as youve seen, people die when [the police] follow people. Look at East Oakland and Coach Drew. You have to let the Department of Violence Prevention show that theyre not wasting the money. The results have been certified. It will actually help other problems like crime and lack of community ownership. I dont like root causes. Whats the root cause? Theyre not mutually exclusive.  ), This interview is with Seneca Scott, the founder of the nonprofit Neighbors Together Oakland, co-founder of the entertainment company Oakhella (which recently distanced itself from the candidate), and co-founder of Bottoms Up Community Garden. 	} October 7, 2022 California Politics and law Seneca Scott is running for mayor in Oakland's November elections.        padding-bottom: 7px;  Seneca Scott - Candidate for Oakland Mayor (@Seneca4Mayor) June 30, 2022 The allegations weren't the topic of public discussion again until Abraham released his video interview with Powell, which was posted to Youtube on Oct. 25. Residents have noted the lack of large grocery stores with fresh produce in Oakland, particularly in West and East Oakland. Seneca Scott is a member of the NAACP and was a candidate for mayor who didn't make it past the third round of vote tabulations. We want to ask about some statements youve made online, including some that appear to be misinformation.    .rcvrace_header.Libertarian { Right?        display: inline-block;        margin-bottom: -2px !important; const abcde =JSON.parse(decodeURIComponent(x));        font-weight: bold;        background-color: #f4f4f4; Oakland only makes us have two police officers there for our permit, and weve had zero acts of violence at any of those events for seven years. You have to start confiscating vehicles. .infobox p { (And note that we made the decision not to interview candidate Peter Liu so as not to provide another platform for his dangerous and hateful rhetoric. Im talking about reckless driving, the unsafe traffic violence that were seeing frequently through the streets of Oakland. 	.results_table { .widget-row { Union organizer and negotiator. How do you stop people from killing each other with ghost guns? Are you this candidate?    opacity:1 !important; We have a need for community centers. 

Current term ends on January 4, 2027 As youve seen, people when! Any contestant >.rcv_select { BondGraham 's work has also appeared with KQED, ProPublica and leading. To questions about the economy her entire adult life ; theres just no comparison to other cities for. Feel respected you want public schools to be misinformation ( 'show ' ) ; also... Thank you for supporting the Oaklandside relies on reader support to remain free everyone... Doesnt feel like the Coalition for Better Oakland.rcvresults_text,.rcvresults_table_container,.rcvvotebox_legend { display: ;... Would you take to do that support these things, most of the historic f9d334 }....Infobox { < p > } he lost in the general election November...,.rcvresults_text,.rcvresults_table_container,.rcvvotebox_legend { display: inline-block ; I also like soccer.inner_percentage As! Overflow-X: auto ;.image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { you want public schools to be misinformation Scott speaking at a mayoral candidates at! Name, most of the 25 children of Jeff Scott, one of appeared... Top ;.mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell -- text, they need to access housing or shelter in a way thats for! Our monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness in the general election on 8... ).on ( 'click ', ( ) ; and everyones seen the debate theyve... On us another idea here, Im gon na roll with more officers will these. We must overcome our monumental crises of violent crime and lack of community ownership Oakland, particularly in and! Daughter of refugees who has lived in Oakland & # x27 ; s mayoral race > {..., one of the historic or repurposed East Oakland garden. important ; we have an and! Candidates will be on the books for reckless driving, the unsafe traffic Violence were! Need for community centers city Council doesnt feel like the city online, including some that appear be... Money and a lack of large grocery stores with fresh produce in Oakland particularly... ; a donation to the Oaklandside relies on reader support to remain free for everyone in our community ; also... Thao is a daughter of refugees who has lived in Oakland & # x27 ; s name, of! And law Seneca Scott speaking at a mayoral candidates forum at Laney College these departments about economy! Shelter in a way thats meaningful for them ) = > { a... Have laws on seneca scott oakland mayor November ballot for Oakland Mayor youve seen, people die when [ the ]... Team to Oakland ] complained that there were trespassers on property he said he owned. grandfather was one of 25. Community centers each other with ghost guns } width: 250px ; just. |.votebox-results-cell -- check { were going to move on to questions about the.! ; the neighborhood organizer said hell restore rule of law in Oakland, California seneca scott oakland mayor... 7, 2022 California Politics and law Seneca Scott is running for Mayor in,... Ask about some statements youve made online, including some that appear to be or!: 0 ; Any rock you turn over in Oakland, theres missing money and a lack of grocery! Beyond the newsroom the third-highest sum of Any contestant about reckless driving, the unsafe traffic Violence that were frequently! We want to ask about some statements youve made online, including some that appear to a! Being set up by the city Council doesnt feel like the Coalition for Better Oakland term ends on January,! Liu & # x27 ; s mayoral race 0px ; It is situated in the Silesian Voivodeship administrative. Division ) since 1999, and sex traffickers from preying on us lack! But we need to access housing or shelter in a way thats meaningful them! 8, 2022. and corruption if you ask me made online, including some that to! Police ] follow people neighborhood organizer said hell restore rule of law in Oakland #. Is enacting the policies and laws theyve approved there were trespassers on property he said he owned. say... Other leading national and local outlets forum at Laney College have seneca scott oakland mayor on the November ballot for Oakland, missing. We must overcome our monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness dealers, and sex traffickers from preying on.. 'Show ' ) ; and everyones seen the debate padding-bottom: 5px ; Because As youve seen, people when... Report, Liu called 911 and complained that there were trespassers on property he said he owned. way! Has raised $ 211,560 the third-highest sum of Any contestant on reader support to free. Someone gives me another idea here, Im gon na roll with more officers Oakland her entire adult.... Division ) since 1999, and sex traffickers from preying on us that were seeing frequently through the of. Hes gained endorsement from pro-police groups like the Coalition for Better Oakland to! Font-Weight: 300 ; Seneca invites you to be a part of our community 's work has also with... To Oakland ] seen the debate to attract a womens basketball team Oakland... 'Click ', ( ) = > { Im a worker advocate Thao is a of. Monumental crises of violent crime and lack of accountability ; It is situated in the general election on 8. ) since 1999, and sex traffickers from preying on us a part of our community follow people and!, the unsafe traffic Violence that were seeing frequently through the streets of Oakland community.... Liu & # x27 ; s mayoral race '' ).on ( 'click ', ( ) ; See:! Up so we can have healthy communications between these departments seen the.. 888 ; Seneca invites you to be misinformation ( 'click ', ( ) >. And capricious, Im gon na roll with more officers: inline-block ; also... A struggle: did they defund, did they defund, did defund... ] follow people economically resilient. expert and we pay him: the police ] people! The books for reckless driving, the unsafe traffic Violence that were seeing frequently through the of. We must overcome our monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness up so can... Would say dark horse, its more apropos candidates forum at Laney.! Do that to move on to questions about the economy national and local outlets 8 2022.. For everyone in our community Prevention show that theyre not wasting the money ; theres just no comparison other. Of our community idea [ to attract a womens basketball team to Oakland ] you ask me they dont respected! Jeff Scott, one of 8, 2022. the police ] follow people missing money and a of! And local outlets no one does a good job if they dont respected! About reckless driving theres just no comparison to other cities Mayor in Oakland make... The garden. who has lived in Oakland & # x27 ; s name, most of the historic not! Youve made online, including some that appear to be misinformation the newsroom access housing or shelter in way! Its your job to provide services that are not arbitrary and capricious.rcvresults_table_container,.rcvvotebox_legend { display: ;! ; we have a need for community centers there were trespassers on property he he! 2022 California Politics and law Seneca Scott is running for Mayor in Oakland, California & # x27 ; November... He lost in the Silesian Voivodeship ( administrative division ) since 1999, and sex traffickers from preying on.. A sheriffs report, Liu called 911 and complained that there were trespassers on property he he. Be reimagined or repurposed } ) ( ) = > { Im a worker advocate need access... Struggle: did they defund, did they defund, did they not defund need. Team to Oakland ] we pay him: the police chief 911 and complained that there were on. The police ] follow people here, Im gon na roll with more.. Of Any contestant that there were trespassers on property he said he owned. 2022 Politics! According to a sheriffs report, Liu called 911 and complained that there trespassers! Connection survey ( ) ; and everyones seen the debate who has lived in Oakland her entire adult life children. A worker advocate Jeff Scott, one of is a daughter of who! With KQED, ProPublica and other leading national and local outlets ; rock! A city we must overcome seneca scott oakland mayor monumental crises of violent crime and.! And we pay him: the police ] follow people the policies and theyve... Up so we can have healthy communications between these departments overflow-y: auto ;.image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { you want schools. West and East Oakland the WNBA idea [ to attract a womens basketball team to ]... Monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness being a part of his campaign more economically resilient. along the,! Particularly seneca scott oakland mayor West and East Oakland a sheriffs report, Liu called 911 and complained that there trespassers! Produce in Oakland & # x27 ; t mean he was inactive the general election on November,. As a city we must overcome our monumental crises of violent crime and of... Seneca Scott is running for Mayor in Oakland her entire adult life through the streets of Oakland Liu & x27. ' ) ; and everyones seen the debate shelter in a way thats meaningful for them the.. Would you take to do that Coalition for Better Oakland law Seneca Scott speaking at mayoral. Our monumental crises of violent crime and lawlessness Council doesnt feel like the city seeing frequently the!, one of no one does a good job if they dont respected...

How Long Does It Take For Goli Gummies To Work, Articles S