Save. Our idea was to see London through an unusual and different visual prism this was the opposite of the London from above branding of Apprentice-style shows. Jaisal now owns a premises where he runs different aspects of his business. He may wear the mask of an egotistical player but he shouldnt be underestimated, which Danny very quickly learns. And it was trying not to make Danny too sympathetic. Not only does he own his space with immense confidence, hes also unapologetic for doing so. It's just a shame that the three of us dont get to be in the room at the same time. Shame its farfetched., Another added: #Suspect So disappointing. Once you know the actor and understand their take on the character, you can work with that to get them where you want them to be. But while rehearsing and filming one episode each week presented some obvious challenges, it also offered us great creative opportunities. Does Ryan think Christina has taken her own life? He sets out on a mission for the truth, retracing her last days and hours, in an agonising crusade to discover what really happened to his only child. The search for the reason behind a daughters death is the central framework for a story about a father mourning for the loss of his child and questioning the mistakes he might have made as a parent. A Channel 4 spokesperson said at the time: The forecourt was used from midnight to 5am on Thursday, during which time the area was safely cordoned off, with cast, crew and equipment clearly visible to drivers from a distance., Suspect is written by Matt Baker, who previously wrote Before We Die on Channel 4. I think he feels responsible in some way, because he was supposed to be looking out for Christina and they were very close. A tight choreography would potentially limit the actors freedom of action and expression, which I wanted to avoid at all costs. To be alongside those other great actors was an honour, but my favourite part was filming in the car. How would you describe Driess creative vision? It was nobody's home, so you came in and felt like you were passing through, which was very appropriate for both of us in that storyline. However, many viewers were thrilled by the gripping drama with some taking to social media to applaud the new series with some consuming the entire series on Sunday night. Women over a certain age often get the parts that have very difficult language, which can mean extra hours of homework so you can know what it actually means and own it. He also liked me to watch the monitor after Id done a scene, which I tend not to do but he was quite insistent. His ex-wife Susanna (Anne-Marie Duff) talks about how he has been struggling all his life to see the good in himself, and therefore the good in other people. He had a truly special ability to adapt to his co-stars and adapt his own performance, so each one-on-one has a unique tone and feel. Initially, Jaisal easily parries his ex-colleagues clumsy attempts at interrogation, but Dannys behaviour is increasingly volatile, and he takes drastic action in exchange for information from Jaisal. There were people queuing for hours. James Nesbitt plays distraught detective Danny Frater and follows his search for answers, after he finds his daughter laid in a hospital mortuary during whats supposed to be a routine ID check. A respected prosecutor commits a serious crime. Susannahs attempts to reminisce about Christina as a little girl quickly turn into recriminations about why neither of them was aware of the life she was leading, before they are reconciled again by their devastating grief. ITV's brand new crime thriller The Suspect was filmed during autumn 2021. James Nesbitt, said: I could relate to Danny, with his flaws, vulnerabilities and the devastating situation he faces, from the very first moment I picked up the script. People are my absolute fascination, and I need to know whats driving them, what the stakes are. An old acquaintance, Jaisal, may hold some vital information about Christinas last known whereabouts but new information will come at a heavy price for Danny. The island of Gigha can be found off the Kintyre coast, and has a population of just over 160 people. No. Even if he's still a rather unappealing, unattractive, untrustworthy, dangerous, violent character, he still has a brain. The Gist: Joaqun Murrieta (Juan Manuel Bernal) and his protg, Adela Cheng (Becky Zhu Wu) are traveling along the current border between Mexico and California, along a lot of the territory . If I wasn't there for you in life, I'll be there for you in death. What have been the toughest and most rewarding aspects of working on Suspect? But he's a giving actor, flexible and able to make every take a bit different, so it was a pleasure. Actress Niamh Algar, who plays Nicola, said they had also filmed in West London. Im in rehearsals on a brilliant new play at the Almeida that I was supposed to do at the beginning of lockdown called The House of Shades, and Ive got a 10-part TV show called Bad Sisters from Sharon Horgan coming out on Apple TV+ later this year. So it was a constant search for a balance between more stylised shots and the freedom for actors to give 12-minute long takes. 2021 Associated Newspapers Limited. Ryan is such an intriguing character with a lot of history and secrets. What were you expecting from the two-hander set-up? Jaisal isnt the most likeable character, but you have to be tough to survive in the police force. The calibre of the actors was amazing and they came so prepared. Actors could rehearse, block the episode, and then immerse themselves in a performance they could deliver from beginning to end, which was an obvious advantage in terms of emotional credibility and dramatic coherence. They seem to have spent more time on the intro's & adverts than the plotline! On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Good, I think, although it wasnt a fairy tale it had its own complications. We know very little about her at first, although she has been a friend of Christina's (Imogen King) since they got introduced to one another through the party scene. Her brief but powerful exchanges with her father provide a real insight into their fractured relationship, so both characters emerge as much more complex, nuanced and authentic. This was a job where I could form a relationship with the person I was playing and not be scared by it, but embrace it. I think you have to. Trauma is profoundly intimate. It really catches Danny off-guard, and is incredibly moving. Each episode had an allocated amount of rehearsal time, so I had the opportunity to work with Jimmy and the guest actors to flesh out each episode in minute detail and get valuable insight into the qualities each actor was bringing to the piece. What do you get out of the two-hander set-up? Maia has played the older, protective confidante role for Christina, who has been in a complicated relationship with her partner, Nicola (Niamh Algar). We cast the lead role first and, once Jimmy was in place, the rest of the cast came together relatively quickly. Theres a lot of history there he knows exactly how to push Dannys buttons. An ambulance driver in the queue for fuel told The Sun: At what point is Nesbitts new show more important than NHS staff and other desperate motorists filling up tanks? No Comments. Filming was completed last year, and is due to air on Channel 4 later in 2022. Harry is very unforgiving and relentless in saying to Danny: you fucked up and you have to take some responsibility for your daughter's death. Suspect premiered on 19 June 2022 on Channel 4. What are the key differences with the Danish version? When you're doing theatre, you read the script over and over, working out all the moves. How did Suspect come about? The isle is the perfect location for . Eight episodes shot in eight weeks, and youre in every scene. The challenge with stories about divorced or separated people is that you should be able to still see that they were once married. Will the investigation allow her to let go of her past? Veteran detective Danny Frater is called to a hospital mortuary to identify a corpse only to find it is his estranged daughter. If there was ever a season two, Im hopeful Ryan might pop up again Harry is introduced in the previous episode as some rich prick. Although the pathologist, Jackie Sowden, insists the evidence points overwhelmingly towards suicide, Danny refuses to accept her findings, and he forces Jackie to take him through her examination step-by-step. Complex and tense European crime thriller from Walter Presents. have to film large numbers of unrelated scenes which belong in different episodes, having to tune in and out of completely different moments in their characters trajectory. Jo McGrath & Walter Iuzzolino (Executive producers and co-founders of Eagle Eye Drama). Telling the story of a complex crime investigation through a series of double-handers felt incredibly exciting, as it meant relying almost exclusively on the written word and the performance. And Im also set to return as The Master in the Doctor Who Centenary Special, which will air later this year. I enjoyed that breathlessness because Ryan is a high-energy, on the edge guy. Danny discovers his ex-police partner Ryan knows more than he is letting on about Christinas death. James Nesbitt, said: "I could relate to Danny, with his flaws, vulnerabilities and the devastating situation he faces, from the very first moment I picked up the script. For other inquiries, Contact Us. Filming Locations (5) Filming Dates (1) Filming Locations. James Nesbitt plays distraught detective Danny Frater and follows his search. The things that draw us to each other cannot necessarily always be joyful things. When children die, parents will often do anything they can to maintain the presence of lost one. Shes just acting on impulse. Everything was new, everything was exciting and Nicola got caught up in all of that. Jo McGrath and Walter Iuzzolino have a wonderful lead in mind for the second series and I have various bits of my anatomy crossed that it gets re-commissioned. We previously teased Nesbitt and Grant's involvement last year, which you can read about here. Something went wrong, please try again later. What sort of challenges and opportunities did the two-hander set-up create for you? It's so soon after the events that even Nicola is trying to catch up on what she's actually feeling, because she doesn't know. What has changed most significantly is the depth of characterisation and, with it, the psychological credibility of their motivation. Click here to upload yours. It was beautiful to re-discover London on this job.. Against Maias advice, Danny goes alone to meet with Christinas supplier, who is revealed to be Jaisal Batra, a corrupt former police officer turned club owner. I wanted viewers to feel immersed in a somewhat stranger world than usual, a world with very few people in it. Maia stonewalls his questions, but when he tells her Christina may have been murdered, her facade of indifference cracks. Nesbitt made headlines last year for his cameo in Series Six of Line of Duty. Jo: There are key differences in the storyline itself, but the biggest difference is in the characters. He was great, very focused because of the nature of what he had to do and his huge workload, which was not to be underestimated. A slightly mysterious city, depleted of human life and traffic, with major landmark buildings only fleetingly appearing from below bridges, side streets, abandoned car parks etc We wanted to capture the spirit of Edward Hopper paintings and transfer it into contemporary London, as we thought this would lend the city a palpable emotional quality. The difference here was that there was very little rehearsal. The star is taking the leading role in the eight-part crime thriller Suspect. What were your priorities in terms of tone and visuals? Eagle-eyed viewers may spot specific filming locations in and around North London - including the Coal Drops Yard area in King's . It was a concentrated environment because there was just two actors, which I guess did mean it was more focused. See production, box office & company info. And Jackie is very experienced and authoritative. Jaisal plays by his own rules, because he feels that the world has failed him, society has failed him. This was not the case on Suspect. He added that whilst staying true to the format of the original show, he wanted to "add a few twists along the way". After tricking his way into her home, he discovers a link between Jackie and one of the people he has interviewed, and he speculates openly that Jackie is covering for this person of interest. Sacha Dhawan also described one of the locations. Danny has come to check whether the identity of a young female victim of an apparent suicide matches that of a missing person in a case that his colleague is working on, but he makes the shocking discovery that the young woman in the mortuary, Christina (Imogen King), is his estranged daughter. I liked the tension and interplay between the plot-driven whodunnit/investigation element and the tragic emotional undercurrent of losing a daughter which constantly hovers over the action beats. Absolutely loved it. But Jackie is a great character and its great drama, so that was the answer. But who's who in the Channel 4 series? Hooked before the first break and we can binge watch which is a bonus!, A third wrote: "Really enjoyed #Suspect last night and was so gripped., Whilst another fan raved: "Just binged all eight episodes of #Suspect. For Baker, Suspect is "about the elastic nature of truth and the lies we tell to make it possible to live with ourselves". No, a couple of projects had come up for us in the past, but the timing wasn't right. [1] Filming for the series began the following month, and generated slight controversy as customers were turned away while filming was undertaken at a Texaco in Vauxhall during the fuel crisis.[2]. There is absolutely no hiding, no resting period. Veteran detective Danny Frater is called to a hospital mortuary to identify a corpse only to find it is his estranged daughter. And like Jaisal, Ive spent so long trying to fit into one space or the other, Ive negated just how empowering it is to embrace the best of both, and carve out my own space. Its really exhilarating to play out a full scene in one take, but it also intensifies the pressure, which in itself brings an added dimension to scene. From a directorial perspective, that felt both scary and liberating. He just had to stay as focused as he could and conserve his energy. We wanted to get more insight into Dannys (James Nesbitt) past and his motivations, his troubled relationship with his daughter. How would you describe your character, Danny Frater? Weve also stayed true to the format: each episode is essentially a two-hander between Danny and one of the eight suspects. And for those that might not - here's everything you need to know about where The Suspect was filmed. Filming locations in London for new Channel 4 series with James Nesbitt James Nesbitt is taking the leading role in the eight-part crime thriller Suspect By. Locations such as King's Cross change and Paddington Basin are public spaces - that you can work through and take snaps as you go. Channel 4 . 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. The storytelling device meant that, aside from Danny who appears in every episode, every single character had the exact same weight and stature within the series as a whole, so we were lucky we could approach a phenomenal range of stars with truly meaty, exciting, challenging roles. When veteran detective, Danny Frater, turns up at a hospital mortuary for what he thinks is a routine ID check, he gets a devastating shock; the deceased a young woman turns out to be his estranged daughter, Christina, and according to the post-mortem report, shes taken her own life. "James Nesbitt, Joely Richardson, Richard E. Grant to Star in Channel 4 'Forhoret' Adaptation 'Suspect', "James Nesbitt drama leaves drivers fuming after show takes over fully-stocked petrol station", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Suspect_(TV_series)&oldid=1138350760, 2020s British crime drama television series, British television series based on non-British television series, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 9 February 2023, at 05:36. Our idea was to see London through an unusual and different visual prism this was the opposite of the London from above branding of Apprentice-style shows. Its this drive that propels him forward to each new encounter. A rule-bending detective investigates a strange murder in a frozen mining town where everyone seems connected. It was quick, but extremely immersive. Our local hosts have welcomed 3932+ people into their filming locations with reviews averaging 4.98 stars. There were many unexpected surprises that made our interaction with one another feel even more dangerous. He said: We filmed all around London, including the renewed areas of Kings Cross and the Paddington Basin. Suspect 9pm, Channel 4 James Nesbitt is doing his familiar detective bit again, but otherwise there's nothing generic about this intriguing thriller which takes the form of eight tightly written . The crew had taken over the garage to film, but it happened to coincide with the seventh day of the UKsfuel crisis. With stars like James Nesbitt, Richard E Grant and Anne-Marie Duff in the mix, Suspect is not short of acclaimed actors. Is there a level of professional respect? Is that essential for such a concise shoot? The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. He was an incredible scene partner, and it all had so many layers. Channel 4's new film 'Help' follows the relationship between a young care home worker and a patient with Alzheimer's. The hard-hitting story is bound to leave viewers asking where Help is . Posted by on May 11, 2022 in mitchell and ness shockwave | visio database diagram examplemitchell and ness shockwave | visio database diagram example Dries (Vos, director) also said up front that he liked to do very long takes, so you might do six or seven pages of dialogue in one take, which is also very unusual and more like doing a play. ", While another exclaimed: "Pretty unbelievable so far#Suspect.. Nicola was blindsided. Suspect starts at 9pm on. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. Suspect (I) (2022- ) Full Cast & Crew See agents for this cast & crew on IMDbPro Series Directed by Series Writing Credits Series Cast Series Produced by Series Music by Series Cinematography by Series Film Editing by Ruben Beunckens . Megan Gallagher scripts are so good! I ride and enjoy them, although there was only one night where we were actually filming with a horse. She finds Danny there, and hes come to his daughters apartment for the very first time. That's what I like best about directing: the creative interaction and collaboration to achieve something special together. He seems like a bit of a loner. the leading role in the eight-part crime thriller, The Witch Trials of JK Rowling makes sensible points. This clip is for promotional use only. When we're in the eye of the storm, we are glued to each other, aren't we? Finnish crime thriller from Walter Presents. The challenge of the format is the relative absence of traditional dramatic action, meaning almost all the drama has to come from dialogue and the psychological battle of wits and wills that takes place between Danny and a suspect. But deep down, he's not a bad guy. interface language. IF you're watching ITV's The Suspect over the next five weeks - you may recognise some of the crime series filming locations. What challenges did that pose? Whereas if you've got two talking heads, there is only so much that you can do, so it's much more economic. I've played a few of those in my time, but this show doesnt have that agenda. With every new encounter we find out more of Dannys flaws, but the audience need to continue to care about him if theyre going to invest in his journey to find the truth. Driess idea was to try and convey London in a way that we havent really seen before on British TV he has a very personal vision of London.. It was a real luxury. Bruised by his encounter with Nicola, Danny goes to The Crimson Orchid gentlemens club to look for Maia, who Nicola has accused of corrupting Christina. We pay for videos too. What made Danny a particular challenge to play? The script came through and it seemed so mysterious, cryptic and intense. Jaisal knows exactly how to needle Danny. It's an interesting time and I'm playing quite a range of characters, which really excites me because I suppose I am a character actress. That causes friction with Danny (James Nesbitt) when Danny accuses him of murder. Direvtor Dries Vos added: I wanted London to live and breathe through every frame of the show, to exist as almost a character in its own right, but it was very important to me to avoid the traditional picture postcard view of the city. Was completed last year, which you can read about here make too. I think, although it wasnt a fairy tale it had its own complications guy! Exciting and Nicola got caught up in all of that rehearsing and filming one each... Be underestimated, which will air later this year the toughest and rewarding! Questions, but the timing was n't there for you in death mean it was constant... And tense European crime thriller Suspect 3932+ people into their filming Locations 2022... Nesbitt, Richard E Grant and Anne-Marie Duff in the eight-part crime thriller from Presents... Five weeks - you may recognise some of the actors freedom of action and expression, you! Drama ) intriguing character with a horse that propels him forward to each other can not necessarily be...: we filmed all around London, SE1 9GF Privacy & Cookie Policy about:! She finds Danny there, and is due to air on Channel 4 than,... & adverts than the plotline than usual, a world with very few in... I enjoyed that breathlessness because Ryan is such an intriguing character with a of. The cast came together relatively quickly he just had to stay as focused as he could and conserve energy! Script over and over, working out all the moves, we are glued to each other are! More stylised shots and the Paddington Basin be alongside those other great actors was an incredible partner. Very few people in it and expression, which I guess did mean was... Another added: # Suspect so disappointing while rehearsing and filming one episode each week presented some challenges. Challenge with stories about divorced or separated people is that you should be suspect channel 4 filming locations to still see that they once. The next five weeks - you may recognise some of the two-hander set-up set-up create for you week presented obvious... Links are at the same time are glued to each new encounter London, SE1 9GF there was only night! Many unexpected surprises that made our interaction with one another feel even more dangerous Pretty unbelievable so far #..... Stakes are your priorities in terms of tone and visuals is absolutely no,. Ryan think Christina has taken her own life bit different, so it trying! Day of the two-hander set-up Nesbitt plays distraught detective Danny Frater of acclaimed actors with reviews averaging 4.98 stars may! The storyline itself, but the biggest difference is in the suspect channel 4 filming locations later. There for you itself, but this show doesnt have that agenda up... Christina and they came so prepared Danny discovers his ex-police partner Ryan knows than. Two actors, which Danny very quickly learns most significantly is the depth of characterisation and, once Jimmy in! Came so prepared propels him forward to each new encounter Christina has taken her own life be... All of that Locations ( 5 ) filming Dates ( 1 ) suspect channel 4 filming locations Locations ( 5 ) filming with... Of their motivation us to each other can not necessarily always be joyful things but it happened to with. They can to maintain the presence of lost one later this year to return as Master! Absolutely no hiding, no resting period in life, I think although! The challenge with stories about divorced or separated people is that you should be able to still that. My time, but it happened to coincide with the seventh day of the eight suspects what have the. It seemed so mysterious, cryptic and intense the leading role in the Channel series... And filming one episode each week presented some obvious challenges, it also offered great! Just had to stay as focused as he could and conserve his energy Nicola caught... An egotistical player but he 's not a bad guy thriller the Suspect was filmed doesnt have that agenda surprises. Indifference cracks exactly how to push Dannys buttons involvement last year for his in. Knows exactly how to push Dannys buttons even if he 's still a rather unappealing unattractive... Time, but this show doesnt have that agenda role in the car mining where... Jaisal plays by his own rules, because he feels responsible in some way, because he feels the... Two-Hander between Danny and one of the UKsfuel crisis failed him be tough to survive the... Timing was n't there for you knows more than he is letting on about Christinas.. Might not - here 's everything you need to know whats driving them although. The world has failed him, society has failed him, society has failed.! He tells her Christina may have been murdered, her facade of indifference.. First time 's what I like best about directing: the creative interaction collaboration. The script came through and it seemed so mysterious, cryptic and intense unapologetic for doing.... New crime thriller from Walter Presents for us in the car different aspects of on. A hospital mortuary to identify a corpse only to find it is his estranged daughter filmed around! That the world has failed him, society has failed him, society has failed him unbelievable so #. Were very close I enjoyed that breathlessness because Ryan is a great character and great! Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy 's the Suspect was filmed during autumn 2021 and... Few people in it due to air on Channel 4 series people in.. With stories about divorced or separated people is that you should be able to make every take a bit,... Somewhat stranger world than usual, a couple of projects had come up for us in the police force rule-bending! `` Pretty unbelievable so far # Suspect so disappointing suspect channel 4 filming locations was supposed to be alongside those other actors. Their motivation player but he 's not a bad guy player but shouldnt..., that felt both scary and liberating calibre of the storm, we glued. Good, I think, although it wasnt a fairy tale it had its complications. Youre in every scene is letting on about Christinas death own rules, because he was an honour but... That was the answer eight episodes shot in eight weeks, and hes come his... Was exciting and Nicola got caught suspect channel 4 filming locations in all of that: we filmed all around London including., it also offered us great creative opportunities - here 's everything you need to know whats them! History and secrets the page across from the article title to a hospital mortuary identify! June 2022 on Channel 4 series over 160 people Anne-Marie Duff in the mix, Suspect is not short acclaimed. Nicola was blindsided the timing was n't right, another added: Suspect. Challenge with stories about divorced or separated people is that you should be able to make every take a different! For actors to give 12-minute long takes said they had also filmed in West London than the plotline him society. Was in place, the rest of the page across from the article title series. Have spent more time on the edge guy, with it, the of... Each episode is essentially a two-hander between Danny and one of the page across from the title... New encounter to get more insight into Dannys ( James Nesbitt ) and... When you 're doing theatre, you suspect channel 4 filming locations the script came through and it all had so many.... At all costs is that you should be able to still see they... Iuzzolino ( Executive producers and co-founders of Eagle Eye Drama ) filmed all around London, SE1 9GF we teased...: # Suspect so disappointing a corpse only to find it is his estranged daughter with the version... I guess did mean it was a concentrated environment because there was very little.. Was a pleasure, that felt both scary and liberating was an honour, but it to... And his motivations, his troubled relationship with his daughter presented some obvious challenges, it also us. Which Danny very quickly learns of the two-hander set-up storm, we are glued to other... Get out of the eight suspects an honour, but the biggest difference suspect channel 4 filming locations! An incredible scene partner, and I suspect channel 4 filming locations to know whats driving them, although there only... ( Executive producers and co-founders of Eagle Eye Drama ) for his cameo series. Challenges, it also offered us great creative opportunities the storyline itself, but when he tells her may. Office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, including the renewed areas Kings! Depth of characterisation and, with it, the Witch Trials of JK Rowling makes sensible points lot of there. Leading role in the room at the same time one episode each week presented some obvious challenges, also... Obvious challenges, it also offered us great creative opportunities a strange murder in a mining... Actress Niamh Algar, who plays Nicola, said they had also filmed in West London distraught detective Danny suspect channel 4 filming locations... Veteran detective Danny Frater and follows suspect channel 4 filming locations search the garage to film, but when he tells Christina... That was the answer premiered on 19 June 2022 on Channel 4 in., you read the script came through and it was a concentrated environment because there was very rehearsal! London Bridge Street, London, including the renewed areas of Kings Cross and the freedom for to... Have been the toughest and most rewarding aspects of his business the two-hander set-up create for you suspect channel 4 filming locations... To stay as focused as he could and conserve his energy all the moves an incredible scene,. Our Privacy & Cookie Policy it wasnt a fairy tale it had its own complications during...