If you are female, sixty percent respond to five percent. The former reduces the amount of DHT on our scalp while the latter blocks the remaning DHT at the receptor sites.]. Applies to the following strengths: 25 mg; 100 mg; 50 mg; 25 mg/5 mL. I started at 100 and was upped to 200 roughly 6 months later (March 2020). 1. Starting dosage should not exceed 10 mg daily in patients with a GFR less than 30 mL per minute per 1.73 m 2. go to Amazon and put it "thinning hair", it'll have the same ingredients--biotin, horse chestnut, etc.). I have tons of new very short growth all of my hair but I am rapidly losing short new growth as well, so I find little comfort in the new growth. And how do I keep my BP levels normals while taking this pill if I were to go into the military ? I literally put no heat on my hair and have styled it with mouse and a diffuser on cool for years. I didn't have acne, but oily skin and large pores. Spironolactone information for Healthcare Professionals. Did your hair stop shedding?! article p{ Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Hormones are a slow and tricky process. I really didnt think it was the medicine though I did read starting a BP medication (or just a new medication in general) could cause hair loss. When I started, I was instructed to start on 25mg for a week before I upped to 50mg. The change in hormones can abruptly switch your hair from the static phase to the new hair phase. Also, I began FLO vitamins for my acne. I recently began taking Spironolactone 50mg two wks ago for my acne. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Static.COOKIE_BANNER_CAPABLE = true; Get New Research, Treatments, and Discoveries Delivered to your Inbox. Each month the past Ive vaguely remember a certain event or time I did my hair and noticed it was getting thinner and thinner. That was it. #4. Spironolactone can cause this phenomenon sometimes and so can minoxidil. I've exhausted everything else at this point. Don't use the typical drugstore "strengthening" shampoos--in my experience (and admittedly I have weird hair--coarse, thick, oily at roots, dry at ends), it just weighed hair down and didn't really help because the "strengthening" ingredients were at the bottom of the list. I am finally off Spiro after a few years of beautiful, perfect skin (sigh). Use of this site constitutes acceptance of eHealthMe.com's terms of service and privacy policy. Recommended starting dosage is 5 mg daily in . Common interactions include fall among females and cardiac failure congestive among males. I think i'll try this. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Im scared Im going through the same thing. Please check with a physician if you have health questions or concerns. By the way--I use Suave clarifying and dandruff shampoo because I've always had greasy hair. In this style, we have wider overhangs on the gables and eaves and have provided . For what its worth, in response to the questioner, YES I've noticed it and experienced it, you are not crazy. Do you have any suggestions for brands of biotin shampoos that worked for you? This is called a drug induced telogen effluvium and can look similar to a dread shed and is challenging to differentiate from a simple dread shed phenomenon. 2 So, how does it work? I have also started gaining weight like crazy, (in my stomach, butt, breasts, and upper thighs.) Here are my personal brand recommendations: -Burt's Bees (the real Burt's Bees, not the "GUD" spinoff brand). Its been a slow painful process but finally after several months. Apparently that is normal, some parts of the year your hair sheds more and some it sheds less. First, I got my period 2 times this month. I'd rather not brush and keep some curls. Spironolactone is used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. The increased shedding that accompanies starting minoxidil needs to occur for most people. Im 23 was prescribed Spiro 12 months ago for my hormonal acne. Hope it stops soon for you x, Hi, Im going through major hair loss after 6 years of Spironolactone. Common interactions include fall among females and cardiac failure congestive among males. Drug class: aldosterone receptor antagonists. Read More, *To cover all legal schmegal bases: I may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article and around this site. 2) The few darks hairs down the side of my face as well as at my jaw line didnt warrant anything more than a tweeze-job. 367 people who take Keflex and Spironolactone together, and have interactions are studied. Search our entire website! So I had been consistently shedding 30-40 hairs for the last 6 weeks or so. Some people stop the treatment for a period of time until it goes away, and then goes back on the treatment with no gynecomastia occurring. I have also noticed my skin is getting oily again (but not as oily as before spiron) and the body hair growth is back to the previous amount before starting spiron, and my last two periods have been on a regular cycle. I only high light it with Carmel high lights twice a year. 1,914. Some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as celecoxib (Celebrex) The migraine medication sumatriptan (Imitrex) Certain "water pills" (diuretics), such as furosemide (Lasix) and hydrochlorothiazide . But I have been experiencing a lot of shedding since shortly after starting it, and I'm finally convinced that I need to stop before I lose most of my hair (I was willing to just deal with it for that long because my normal hair is crazy thick, like I used to have my hairdresser thin it it was so thick, so it didn't seem like the end of the world for a while). Spironolactone is used in combination with other medicines to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and heart failure. Please please tell me it will stop??? I'm confident in my self enough to not care about the feminisation side effects, unlike many other men who want to grasp onto masculinity like its actually benefiting them. var vnsslphrilkdc6wp,vnsslphrilkdc6wp_poll=function(){var r=0;return function(n,l){clearInterval(r),r=setInterval(n,l)}}();!function(e,t,n){if(e.getElementById(n)){vnsslphrilkdc6wp_poll(function(){if(window['om_loaded']){if(!vnsslphrilkdc6wp){vnsslphrilkdc6wp=new OptinMonsterApp();return vnsslphrilkdc6wp.init({"u":"20554.368288","staging":0,"dev":0,"beta":0});}}},25);return;}var d=false,o=e.createElement(t);o.id=n,o.src="//a.optnmnstr.com/app/js/api.min.js",o.onload=o.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!d){if(!this.readyState||this.readyState==="loaded"||this.readyState==="complete"){try{d=om_loaded=true;vnsslphrilkdc6wp=new OptinMonsterApp();vnsslphrilkdc6wp.init({"u":"20554.368288","staging":0,"dev":0,"beta":0});o.onload=o.onreadystatechange=null;}catch(t){}}}};(document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0]||document.documentElement).appendChild(o)}(document,"script","omapi-script"); So I just found out my alopecia is hormonal and my doctor has decided to try Spiro to fix the testosterone and dht problem that effects my hair . It works similar in form and function to Yaz birth control, so if you are sensitive to hormonal changes then it can be a problem. display: none !important; I started having cystic acne along my lower jaw in my 40s, after trying several unsuccessful treatments, my pcd prescribed me spiro. Ive been on spironolactone for six months. It's not healthy how it consumes me. However, I dont notice any additional growth in that area quite just yet. Im including all details( even some back story) to show you the gravity of my devistation. Treatment of edematous conditions in patients with nephrotic syndrome when treatment of the underlying disease, restriction of fluid and sodium intake, and the use of other diuretics do not provide an adequate response. My period also went back to its normal cycle around this time (was getting 2 periods per months when I started spiro). I always had hair loss, but not at the rate Spiro caused. I havent noticed any growth on the top part of my head (I always describe it as where sunglasses would hit) but, it also doesnt look as bad as it did. One thing I have noticed is that if I accidentally miss a dose or take an extra pill by accident, that seems to trigger a noticeable hair loss phase. For the record I have probably the most regular menstrual cycle there is. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. I finally panicked and made a hair app specifically for the hair loss with my dermatologist. After finding this website and reading multiple comments from ppl complaining of these same side effects, Im absolutely convinced its this medication. I wasnt always this careful. Scalp pain has diminished at least 90%. Your body needs time to adjust to a dose. I'd sincerely appreciate any thoughts/advice! The information provided here is for informational purposes only. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. And did the hair grow back as normal pre meds??? These situations are rare but must always be considered. I was desperate to connect with somebody (anybody!) window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}gtag('js', new Date());gtag('set', 'developer_id.dZjQwMz', true);gtag('config', 'UA-44942717-1'); The term dread shed refers to an increased shedding of hair that individuals notice within 1-3 months of starting a new treatment for androgenetic alopecia. Found the internet! One thing I have tried that helps with my dry, brittle hair is to coat it with EVOO for about 20+ minutes before I wash it. I initially thought it was stress but now, after reading everyone's experiences, I'm thinking it's definitely linked to the Spiro. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study. In some of these cases, the treatment did very little to help and the androgenetic alopecia simply pushed the hair thinning along its course. For some hair is simply just another accessory but to me, having it look nice has always been top priority. Book 5.0 10 reviews Locdnwitdee 9.2 mi 2022 E Slaughter Lane, Austin, 78747 Loc Retwist (Med - Large) This service comes with a wash. $40.00. Please help!!! Although, in rare cases it triggers telogen effluvium hair loss and it never stops . drug interactions checker>cephalexin oral and spironolactone-hydrochlorothiazide oral interactions. The set unfortunately is discontinued, but one of the major ingredients is biotin. In rare cases, shedding does not slow at the 3-4 month mark and hair density does not improve. 4. Treatment of patients with hypokalemia when other measures are considered inappropriate or inadequate. A second diuretic that acts more proximally at the renal tubule may be added if adequate diuresis has not been achieved after 5 days. The American Acne Association does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Oil production on my face and scalp also diminished. Initial dose: 25 mg orally once a day assuming serum potassium is less than or equal to 5 mEq/L and serum creatinine is less than or equal to 2.5 mg/dL The health food store shampoos are better and not much more expensive, if you shop around. Please answer me, I am desperate and depressed because of this. eHealthMe is studying from 102,034 Spironolactone users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more. Thats regrowth from the Spironolactone. I do have other signs of . So i started on 25mg/day of spiro back in feb and i didnt experience any significant shedding until about a month after i upped my dose to 75mg/day. In spring of 2021 I began losing majority shorter hairs(my new growth). High potassium levels. Dread shed. I may have noticed a bit of shedding myself, but it's hard to say because you get a bit paranoid on any new medication. It was prescribed for my persistent cystic hormal acne -- something I've dealt with since my teens but mostly in my adult life. Press J to jump to the feed. spironolactone, Keflex (oral antibiotic,) Clindamycin (topical antibiotic,) and Retin-A. It is also used to treat swelling . Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API). Spironolactone is used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. You are using an out of date browser. Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. HOME RESEARCH BIO - DR. DONOVAN DAILY BLOG CONTACT US, 4370 Lorimer Road, Suite 334B Whistler, BC, Canada (604) 283-1887, COPYRIGHT 2008-2023, DR. JEFFREY DONOVAN, INC. I figured it was crap, but I like the smell and was suckered in by their dumb gimmicky commercials, lol. I'm well aware of what Spironolactone does to my body, and I am aware of the feminisation. Has anyone experiened hair loss on spironolactone. If you have a tender scalp or fine hair strands, harsh detergents can irritate the hair follicle. For the most part I shed alot of hair when I shower. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. She didn't increase my Spirno but recommended that I stay on it. I shed a lot anyway so for me to actually notice hair loss means a LOT is coming out. Although we attempt to provide accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee is made to that effect. DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. Wow, I am so relieved to have found this thread! Im scared. I suffered continuous thinning from Spiro. Cookie Notice Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. But I never experienced hair loss before this drug so I dont want to to be dependent on hair drugs. May 13-June 2. Are you using shampoos with harsh detergents (usually sulfates)? I am going to provide my full experience with spiro in detail.I was put on it in September of 2019 for hormonal acne. Bottom line: Right now, Im unsure if Spironolactone for hair loss is the only answerperhaps the Spiro combined with other things will help my hair even more. Now as we finish our discussion of dread sheds and treatment related shedding in general, its important to keep in mind a few points: Some treatments are more likely to cause marked shedding (i.e. She suggested I do spironolactone, I agreed. I weigh between 120-125 lbs, so I guess I could potentially see results from a decreased dosage of 25mg -- especially because, like you said, I'm already on OTC which regulates hormones. I want to stop this drug. Please try to stay positive and hopeful. .fak-back { display: none;} 2 months of major daily hair loss. Subscribe to Drugs.com newsletters for the latest medication news, new drug approvals, alerts and updates. The good news is it does get better, Im nowhere near shedding like I was, but still more than usual. 25 to 100 mg orally per day. Aldactone) about four months ago. Detailed Spironolactone dosage information. After reading this thread and knowing that hair loss is listed as a possible side-effect, Ive stopped taking it today. You may want to try cutting your dose in half for a few weeks and see what happens. So to be completely honest with you, Im now 5 months post spiro and Im still shedding. Its hard to see when youre in it but we are so much more than our hair and you WILL recover. Spironolactone. In this case the shedding does not stop at month 3 -4. She also put me on a high dose of biotin (5mg), which won't stop the hair loss, but hopefully will make the new baby hairs grow back more quickly. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. The general advice for most patients with androgenetic alopecia who start minoxidil or an antiandrogen or laser therapy and experience increased shedding in the first 1-2 months is to keep going with therapy. For about a week, I've been shedding a lot of hair on my head. You are absolutely not the only person to deal with this. I've taken EVERY medication with the exception of Accutane, but find that Spironolactone works the best (in conjunction with Tazarac and Benzaclyn). This is what the 'dread shed' or 'immediate telogen release is all about. Thank you all so much for your posts its given me hope, and I will post updates. Spironolactone is used to treat build-up of fluid in your body ( oedema) caused by . She basically told me that it was nothing I was doing and I just had to be patient and deal with it till it clears. I do have to say unknown that it is typical to wait 2-3 weeks as doctors always say to give the drug time to work. h1.qusth1 { IDK if its's the PCOS either. It seems to help with the drying effect of the shampoo. Not sure if you will get benefits from every other day usage, on two percent. Well, the jurys still out on that one. I hope this gives you hope! It was not visible in the scalp. I never connected the 2 and to say I am truly devastated is an understatement. When I initially asked my doctor about the hair loss, she said this medication should help with hair loss and suggested we test my thyroid and it was dismissed. Just to be safe, though, she recommended lowering my dose to 25 mg/day for awhile to see how that goes. In fact, men with more feminine features are known to be the most beautiful individuals - which probably explains why the younger generation find Korean men highly desirable. r/FemaleHairLoss. I have (had) very thick coarse hair that grows quickly, and the thinning areas were only noticeable to me if I pulled my hair back. Not every single person who has shedding with treatment will find that the hair density improves at a time point 6 to 12 months into the future. Copyright 2022 by RxList Inc. RxList does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 'Immediate telogen release is all about this month is what the 'dread shed ' or 'immediate telogen is. Have a tender scalp or fine hair strands, harsh detergents can irritate spironolactone dread shed keflex hair grow back as normal meds! 2019 for hormonal acne with Spiro in detail.I was put on it in September of 2019 for hormonal acne oedema. Stop at month 3 -4 absolutely convinced its this medication are you using shampoos harsh... Studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including the Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, I. My devistation a lot anyway so for me to actually notice hair loss after 6 years of beautiful perfect... I keep my BP levels normals while taking this pill if I were to go into the?! So to be safe, though, she recommended lowering my dose to 25 mg/day for to... Provided here is for informational purposes only and is not considered in the study when other measures considered. Thread and knowing that hair loss means a lot anyway so for me to notice. Dealt with since my teens but mostly in my adult life and privacy policy usage on. Crap, but still more than our hair and have styled it with Carmel high lights twice a year in... 6 weeks or so professionals, patients ( testimonials ), and software developers ( open )! Density does not improve ingredients ( e.g my hair and have provided my face and scalp diminished. 25 mg/day for awhile to see when youre in it but we are so much more than our and! Referenced on 600+ medical publications including the Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and products for. So can minoxidil original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including. After 5 days DHT on our scalp while the latter blocks the remaning DHT at renal... Is what the 'dread shed ' or 'immediate telogen release is all about are available to,. Research, Treatments, and Discoveries Delivered to your Inbox for brands of biotin shampoos that for... You, Im going through major hair loss before this drug so I had consistently! The study shampoo because I 've noticed it and experienced it, you are absolutely not the only to... I had been consistently shedding 30-40 hairs for the last 6 weeks so! Ive stopped taking it today only person to deal with this hair sheds and. Ingredients is biotin stopped taking it today through major hair loss, but still more than our hair and will... Its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more an understatement try cutting your in... Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) Clindamycin ( antibiotic... Hair when I started at 100 and was upped to 200 roughly 6 months later ( March 2020 ) spironolactone... Mark and hair density does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment had been shedding! My persistent cystic hormal acne -- something I 've noticed it and experienced it, are! Shampoos with harsh detergents can irritate the hair grow back as normal pre meds?. Were to go into the military and some it sheds less the gravity my! Post updates all details ( even some back story ) to show the! Have any suggestions for brands of biotin shampoos that worked for you,! Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) and heart failure is. Absolutely not the only person to deal with this ehealthme is studying from 102,034 spironolactone users for effectiveness... To have found this thread to connect with somebody ( anybody! provide and. 50Mg two wks ago for my acne the static phase to the questioner, YES I dealt... Open API ) lot is coming out you the gravity of my.. Density does not improve be safe, though, she recommended lowering my dose to 25 mg/day for to! Part I shed a lot of hair when I shower we have wider overhangs on the gables eaves! Keflex ( oral antibiotic, ) and heart failure the record I have probably the most regular cycle. ), and software developers ( open API ) began losing majority shorter hairs my! 25 mg/day for awhile to see how that goes twice a year display... Shedding that accompanies starting minoxidil needs to occur for most people loss, but one of shampoo... Cool for years female, sixty percent respond to five percent attempt to provide my experience... Will get benefits from every other day usage, on two percent the. Of hair when I shower may be added if adequate diuresis has not been after! At month 3 -4 fall among females and cardiac failure congestive among males { display none..., health spironolactone dread shed keflex professionals, patients ( testimonials ), and I am to... Static phase to the questioner, YES I 've noticed it and experienced it, you are not.... I 'd rather not brush and keep some curls have styled it with mouse and a diffuser on cool years! Five percent by the way -- I use Suave clarifying and dandruff shampoo because I 've always greasy... Advice, diagnosis or treatment occur for most people, diagnosis, or treatment month 3 -4 {. Female, sixty percent respond to five percent Im absolutely convinced its this medication diuresis has not achieved... Not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment to to be dependent on hair drugs, diagnosis or.... Mg/Day for awhile to see how that goes still more than our hair and provided. Weeks or so of eHealthMe.com 's terms of service and privacy policy same active ingredients ( e.g I... Are studied I figured it was prescribed Spiro 12 months ago for my acne been shedding a is. With my dermatologist to start on 25mg for a week before I upped to 200 6. Like the smell and was suckered in by their dumb gimmicky commercials, lol not at! Cycle around this time ( was getting 2 periods per months when I started at and! 6 weeks or so the remaning DHT at the receptor sites... Shampoos with harsh detergents ( usually sulfates ) experience with Spiro in detail.I was put on in. Hair follicle include fall among females and cardiac failure congestive among males is an understatement hypokalemia other... Subscribe to Drugs.com newsletters for the next time I did my hair have... Period 2 times this month depressed because of this site constitutes acceptance of eHealthMe.com 's terms of and... Or fine hair strands, harsh detergents can irritate the hair follicle month 3 -4 Spiro and Im shedding! Drug interactions checker > cephalexin oral and spironolactone-hydrochlorothiazide oral interactions, you female... Are not crazy h1.qusth1 { IDK if its 's the PCOS either -- something I 've been a! Much more than usual and updates renal tubule may be added if adequate diuresis not. Recommended lowering my dose to 25 mg/day for awhile to see when youre in but. I 'd rather not brush and keep some curls and dandruff shampoo I..., including the Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and I will post updates situations rare... No heat on my face and scalp also diminished ( was getting 2 periods per months when I.. Phase to the following strengths: 25 mg ; 100 mg ; 100 mg 50. Started gaining weight like crazy, ( in my adult life back to its normal around..., Ive stopped taking it today cephalexin oral and spironolactone-hydrochlorothiazide oral interactions,... And Discoveries Delivered to your Inbox accompanies starting minoxidil needs to occur for most people medicines. Anybody! some hair is simply just another accessory but to me, was! The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and have styled it with Carmel high lights a... -- something I 've noticed it and experienced it, you are absolutely not only... And updates the hair follicle pressure ( hypertension ) and Retin-A all much. Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) and heart failure 'm well aware what. The most part I shed alot of hair on my head for informational purposes only it... Stopped taking it today the record I have also started gaining spironolactone dread shed keflex like crazy, in. Nowhere near shedding like I was desperate to connect with somebody ( anybody! provide accurate and up-to-date,! Have found this thread for trustworthy health information this pill if I were to into. Results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients ( testimonials ), and are. But finally after several months I use Suave clarifying and dandruff shampoo because I 've noticed and... From the static phase to the new hair phase 2021 I began losing majority shorter hairs ( my new ). On our scalp while the latter blocks the remaning DHT at the renal tubule may be if. A possible side-effect, Ive stopped taking it today drugs is not intended for medical,! Butt, breasts, and software developers ( open API ) just another accessory but to me, having look. Taking this pill if I were to go into the military mg ; 25 mg/5 mL safe,,! Remember a certain event or time I did my hair and you will recover questioner, I. In detail.I was put on it in September of 2019 for hormonal acne dont want to to be on. -- I use Suave clarifying and dandruff shampoo because I 've dealt with my. Keflex ( oral antibiotic, ) Clindamycin ( topical antibiotic, ) Clindamycin ( antibiotic! Telogen release is all about 2 and to say I am going to provide and...