Beautiful trail nonetheless! Forest Service planning to repair section of Schofield Pass road "Plans are in the works to repair part of a popular Jeeping road near Schofield Pass that was damaged by a large rock slide earlier this spring. Luckily, we didn't encounter any other traffic that day. Dismiss. Situated between Crested Butte and Marble, Schofield Pass Road features granite mountain peaks, expansive meadows, dense forests, wildlife, wildflowers, and the ice-cold Crystal River. What an amazing trail. The road was busy today with lots of people admiring the flowers . Make a point to include Schofield Pass among your must-see summer four-wheeling destinations. The list includes some 2 wheel drive access roads. She was born to the late Orville and Florence (Dryer) Read More, Michael Robert Boucher, age 62 of Oshkosh, WI (previously Waupaca, WI) passed away quietly in his home on Friday January 27, 2023 with his loved Read More, David Richard Davide, 63 of Wausau formerly of Denver, Colorado passed away peacefully with his loving brother at his bedside on January 28, Read More, Elizabeth (Betty) Jahns 94 Passed on January 19th at Pine Crest Nursing Home in Merrill. Schofield Barracks - 673 Ayers Ave, Bldg 750, Room 103, Schofield Barracks, HI. Echovita Inc is a registered trademark. John fought a long and courageous battle with Parkinson's Disease for 23 years. Most importantly, thanks God for your protection.show me the path. Ollie was born in Pasadena Read More, Eileen (Heisler) Wojciechowski, of Weston, passed away peacefully February 23, 2023, at the age of 90 at Garden Side at Mount View Care Center Read More, Trenton J. Krueger, 31, of Schofield, passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his wife and dogs on Sunday, February 19, 2023. Turn up the switchback to Lead King Basin, or proceed straight to Crystal and the iconic Crystal Mill. crosses the road about half way between Crystal and Schofield Park. There is a parking area for low clearance vehicles. It had been in operation only two weeks, manned by the 515th Army Aircraft Warning Service. Schofield Barracks Visitor Control Center. It is located in the Elk Mountains, offering a connection between the mountain towns of Marble and Crested Butte. There are several very rocky sections and several throughout the Punchbowl which require precise tire placement and the Punchbowl is not for inexperienced or easily nerved drivers. Is it open for the season? It connects numerous other popular roads and trails (Paradise Divide, Lead King Basin, and the Crystal City Trail), not to mention the historic mountain towns and their unique attractions. It's said to be the most deadly pass in Colorado and for good reason. I was in a small Isuzu Trooper and still brushed some pin-stripes. This road also continues to be very rough and rocky, so it's a bumpy ride. Hiked up from Crystal. SIGN UP: Free daily newsletter + 20% off in the OTC gear shop, Get an email notification whenever someone contributes to the discussion. A musical genius lost far too soon at age 29 in 1953 (allegedly of heart failure, though numerous theories surround his mysterious death), Hank William's rich catalog, ranging from beloved love songs ("Cold, Cold Heart," "Your Cheatin' Heart") to ballads capturing the country-western musical culture of the '40s and '50s ("Honky-Tonkin,'" "Honky Tonk Blues") remain popular classics to this day. She was born March 7, 1939, to the late Frank and Esther (Steinbach) Read More, Shirley J. Summers, 68 of Schofield passed away at Rennes, surrounded by her loving family on December 21, 2022. 92 Cherokee Laredo
4.5" Lift, 31x10.50 BFG AT's
Rock Rails, Skids, Disconnects
4:10 gears, Trac-Lock Rear
True Trac Front, ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' Designation of a road, trail, or area should not be interpreted as an invitation to all types of travel or as an implication that the road, trail, or area is passable, actively maintained, or safe for travel. At one point we were stuck at the 30" rock obstacle, unable to proceed or back down for a second attempt. White River National Forest says travel on Schofield Pass is NOT RECOMMENDED at this time, even though seasonal closures ended as schedule (May 21, 2018). At other times, the ride is relatively easy if you are not afraid of heights. I ran this trail from Crested Butte to Crystal Mill in my lifted Tacoma with rock sliders and 33s. She was the daughter of the late Michael and Norma (Farris) Popek. It is still dangerous and should only be attempted by experienced drivers. There is nothing left of the town. Navigating over unpredictable terrain comes best with experience. and climbed Gothic Road to Schofield Pass. Visit this link to create a free obituary then read the advantages of creating an obituary on Echovita and either click Start now or Create an obituary for your loved to begin. Once I surfaced, I thought I was going to drown but thankfully the edge was close by and I was able to gather myself, take a deep breath and patiently wait for help. View Station Data is a web based interface which allows easy access to NCDC's station databases. Be aware of early season snows. 1917's ending begins with Schofield escaping German pursuit through a bombed village, while also finding a young French woman and a small child hiding amid the wreckage. Schofield Pass is one of the most dangerous mountain passes in Colorado. According to a news release on Saturday, a hiker found the body, partially covered in snow, near a campsite on Pearl Pass Road, near the end of Castle Creek Road. She was born Read More, Ben Fisher, age 53, passed away on February 3, 2023. I wish I knew why that sign was there because I really wanted to run that trail. While the road has been tamed recently to be drivable, there are several demanding sections that are unforgiving. This trail is much more dangerous and technical because of that reason, making the overall rating too low. Proceed though the stream, conditions permitting. No, time didn't stand still or slow down. Creating an obituary on Echovita is free. To use information contained on this site is to do so at your own risk. Anderson and Cox are optimistic that this iteration of the working group is poised to find a viable solution. Exciting start to finish. Schofield Pass has plenty of dispersed campsites especially on the higher elevation portion in the vicinity of West Maroon Trailhead before dropping into Crystal River Canyon (the Devil's Punchbowl). The road is 22.4 km (13.91 miles) long, running north-south from Crystal Mill to Mt Crested Butte. Not far along the initially easy trail your will pass the famous Crystal Mill on the south side of the river. Prepare a personalized obituary for someone you loved.. Search Schofield obituaries and condolences, hosted by Echovita.com. Thank god for rock sliders - that one rock obstacle is no joke. The narrow and rocky road reaches an altitude of nearly 11,000 feet with several steep drop-offs. Potential rocks and/or tree stumps less than 18" tall and/or vertical ledges less than 18" tall and/or near vertical ledges or waterfalls less than 36" inches. There are also a couple rock obstacles to consider and navigate between. WOW that was one of the most interesting trails i have done. Rated at 5-6, but with occasional closures, even in the summer, we were excited and concerned about possible conditions on the trail. Be Proactive. I presume you ran the trail from Crested Butte to Marble. The dirt portions of the trail a VERY dusty I have never seen so much dust kicked up. Shop for schofield pass wall art from the world's greatest living artists. I tried it from the Crested Butte side and there was a Road Closed sign near the top. It was really cool to see them up in the mountains with us. From here on, though, the good news is that there are turnouts at regular intervals. I ran the northern portion of Schofield Pass from the intersection with Paradise Divide (FS Road 734) down the Devil's Punchbowl to Crystal. She was born on October 19, 1942, in Lacrosse and was adopted by Hilbert and Lease Read More, Koral Lynn Howard, 70, of Green Bay, fell asleep in the arms of Jesus on Monday, December 19, 2022. These are mtn roads and get worse every year with lots of snow and avalance activity. The track is rutted and rocky with large holes. I did this trail on worn-out 285/70/17 tires (32.7" when new so mine are probably closer to 32" right now, maybe even smaller) with 3" of lift and going off of my experience, I would not recommend doing this trail unless you have one of the following: 1) Someone in front of you who can tow/winch you out if need be because if you don't make it over Waypoint 5, you'll have no choice but to back up or 2) A minimum of 3" of lift AND a minimum of new (or close to new) 285/70/17 tires. Schofield pass. She was born to William and Florence (Berg) Otto on May 11 . person will not be tolerated. March 22, 2021 by . Advanced Frameworks CJ-7 Frame, 5.3, 4L60E, D300, D60/35 spline, 14 bolt, 86 cj tub, Poison Spyder body armor, 37's, gen right 3 link front, 4 link rear, ORI,s , etc blah blah blah. We drove Black Bear early in the week and I would rate this as more difficult. Don was born on June 5, 1935, in the Village Read More, Scott Urbanski, 52, passed away unexpectedly on January 29th, 2023. The descent down to the Devil's Punchbowl will keep your full attention all the way to the bottom. This was my favorite trail after doing many over the last 35 years in Colorado. I wasn't going quick enough and the front tire got kicked to the left which caused my throttle hand to twist and well .. you saw the rest. Schofield Barracks is a United States Army installation and census-designated place (CDP) located in the City and County of Honolulu and in the Wahiawa District of the Hawaiian island of Oahu, Hawaii. After prepping the 93 Cherokee for the trip, and making reservations in both Redstone and Crested Butte we headed out to hopefully conquer Schofield Pass. Be Nice. - Plato. aware of changes. This route should only be attempted by very skilled and experienced four-wheel drivers, and only in jeep-type, small, high clearance 4WD vehicles. There are two challenging spots in the "Devil's Punchbowl" section--Waypoint 5 and a point that is approximately 100 yards uphill from the Bridge at Waypoint 6. Fourteen people have died in automobile accidents on the Schofield Pass road -- all from going over the edge in various places on the many miles of shelf road. The trail difficulty rating is too low. Drove down Schofield Pass with a group of Toyota buddies from back east who visit each year. Details. Beautiful trail with shelf roads and a few rocky sections at a cliffs edge that will thrill you. Hogge believes he wasnt going fast enough when his front tire twisted and he fell an estimated 60 to 70 feet into the punchbowl. The big rocks in the aforementioned reports about the rock slide, have been cleared and the trail is finally open end to end for the year. Follow it past the Crystal Mill and Crystal to the three way intersection with Lead King Basin and Schofield Pass. Schofield Pass Rd. Also worth noting, it appears the rock obstacle at waypoint 5 no longer exists. Views and scenery well worth the rough, long trip. Start a free trial and get this level of detail on every trail Roberta worked at several Read More, Sandra 'Sandy' Marie Royce, age 75 of Wausau, WI, passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday December 13th, 2022, at Wausau Aspirus Hospital. Emerald Lake was beautiful, and the ambience of the whole area is serene. I had my beautiful girlfriend on the back and was having a great time showing . Hours Info. After driving up the side and a multipoint turn trying to get around, I still had to put my rear tire on the rock to pass it. I drove a stock ZR2 with 2" lift and 31.5" tires but still scraped on the rock. Both were approximately 16-18" high. Amazing trail we did it from marble to CB. I do not need to be protected from myself. Robert is survived by his loving wife Read More, Peter J. John, age 84, of Greenwood, WI (and Aransas Pass, TX) died Read More, Craig E. Kaney, 74, of Wittenberg, WI, passed away on Sunday January 15, 2023 following an extended illness. It needs to be noted that pinstripping is guaranteed. Continue straight past the "Rough Road--4WD Recommended" warning sign. Glenn Hamerly. I did not catch a photo, but only a side by side would fit between the boulders easily. Overall a beautiful trail that I highly recommend running during the daytime! Copyright 2023 Echovita Inc. All rights reserved. The road is impassable from October to July. January 8, 2023 (34 years old) View obituary. We drove this trail on Saturday after driving the Eastern half of Paradise Divide. We biked to the top of the pass yesterday (9/4) from the CB side. I decided I had to had to return to the area and started studying Topo maps of the area. The slide had sideways slope of probably ten degrees and there was a real risk of sliding off too. And we needed them, because we passed a number of vehicles coming up the other way. Located near Crested Butte, the road to the summit is totally unpaved. racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Closed for the season! It shows the descent, anxiety at the bottom and then a partial climb. Trenton was Read More, Kindra Leigh Lucas 35, passed away peacefully at Marshfield Medical Center Palliative Care Unit on February 10, 2023. Don't knowingly lie about anyone Connect with your classmates to honor alumni and teachers. NAME: COUNTY: Schofield was a small town at the top of the main pass from the Gunnison/Crested Butte area over to the Crystal/Marble/Redstone area. site is used. We learned much later that Tincup Pass is about the easiest pass road in the state that requires 4WD. It is narrow and somewhat intimidating, so a ground guide/spotter may increase your confidence. Mid-Wisconsin Cremation Society - Schofield, John J. Buettgen Funeral Home - Schofield, Mid-Wisconsin Cremation Society - Schofield, Brainard Funeral Home and Cremation Center - Everest Chapel. which required us to back-up several times. Schofield Pass can be driven from either direction--northwest to southeast (uphill) or southeast to northwest (downhill). See the latest published MVUM (2017) here: Schofield Pass (FS Road 314 in the White River National Forest) closes November 22nd to May 21st each year from Mile Post 8.1 (at the intersection of FS Road 315, Lead King Basin) south/southeast to Mile Post 17.3 (boundary with Gunnison National Forest). Where Is Wayne Barnes From, Caoimhin Kelleher Pronunciation, Portal Knights 2, Has Declan Donnelly Been Married Before, Sergio Parisse Wife, Byu Vs Ucla Volleyball, Hacksaw Ridge Full Movie Online Stream, The Sniper Introduction, Sonic Adventure 2 . The autumn colors are just beginning and I expect them to peak by the first week of October. She was born June 30, 1937 in Tomahawk WI, to Gordon and Mary Virginia (Griffith) Read More, Frederick (Fred, Fritz) H. Redmann, 95 years proud, raised his outstretched arms, welcoming the loving embrace of his Lord and heavenly family Read More, John J Freudigmann Born on March 10, 1938; born to eternal life on January 18, 2023. He married Violet Gorski, who Read More, Kathy S. Grosskreutz, 65, Wausau, passed away December 12, 2022 at Aspirus Wausau Hospital. Unlock all of the details on every Trail Guide and Scout Route. From Crested Butte, travel north on Gothic Road (County Road 317) to the intersection with Slate River Road (County Road 734). This trail makes me think there need to be two rates for each trail. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd554376.pdf. It could lead to car damage especially the undercarriage of your vehicle. Photograph is of the Schofield Pass SNOTEL site. check out the. Was gonna head that way in the morning from marble side and see . Dont ever try to drive over it! Great shelf road, with a couple challenging obstacles to climb. Washington Gulch joins up with Gothic Road just East of Schofield Park. This sign exists because the road from Crested Butte to this point is suitable for low clearance/2WD vehicles. Above Marble and near Crystal City you can see the burned out hulk of a vehicle that rolled down the mountain. You can click this link to create an obituary. This was after a rainstorm earlier in the day, so this may not be representative of current water flows. He miraculously survived. Sep. 15A military judge Tuesday sentenced a 24-year-old Schofield Barracks soldier to 62 years in prison for bashing his wife on the head four times with a baseball bat as she slept in her. The paved road from Carbondale to Marble connects to a dirt route through the town of Crystal and over Schofield Pass. See picture of one of the choke points between two boulders. Very technical ride at several points and a narrow shelf road that has you paying close attention throughout the entire ride. I'm not sure the pulling jeep had permission from the vehicle's owner. snow bridge still blocking the trail below the punchbowl. My group consisted of a stock '97 Tacoma (29" A/T tires), a modified 2014 Tacoma, a modified 2019 4Runner, and a stock '03 Land Cruiser (33" A/T tires). Approaching the Devil's Punchbowl, the trail seems slightly narrower than last year due to the vegetation (willow) growth. Waypoint 5 is is not merely a bump in the road, the rock is very much still there. MODERATE, Schofield Pass is an iconic 4WD road featuring rock, water crossings, and the infamous shelf road segment through Crystal Canyon known as the Devil's Punchbowl. The narrow sections weren't all that bad, however the large rock obstacles proved challenging going uphill in the rain. We'd love to hear eyewitness Set high in the Sawatch Range of central Colorado, road closures can be frequent, so check conditions before traveling to this area. You can breakfast in Crested Butte, then head for Schofield Pass for a wonderful day of hiking, or immersing yourself in a spectacular wildflower display (3rd week in July is the best . Made it to the beginning portion of schofield pass but was unable to continue due to the first main water crossing. The northwestern trailhead is one-half mile east of Crystal, at the end of the Crystal City Trail where it intersects with Lead King Basin. It is open from crested butte all the way to Marble. You also agree to the storing of cookies on His family moved to central Utah when Tracy was a child, and subsequently to southern Utah, where he fell in love with the Rocky Mountains. In Marble, at the intersection of Second Street and Silver Street, turn east toward Beaver Lake; this is the Crystal City Trail. Its also known as Gothic Road. Terrifying video footage shows the chain of events that led to motorcyclist Rick Hogge splashing into the water of the Devils Punchbowl after plunging off the side of a cliff on Schofield Pass. The pass is the high point on Gothic Road, which connects the towns of Marble and Crested Butte. News, travel inspiration, podcasts, & more. var sidebar_width = parseInt('220px'); In the end, we decided to turn around and did not complete the route. In a petrol station next to the restaurant, she allegedly made a call at 9:45 p.m., according to ABC News. Be advised, the rock slide areas do still have some debris on them that will require higher clearance then the rest of the trail, at least until these piles get beat down a bit by traffic. She was Read More, Richard "Rick" "Scratch" Borchardt, 61, Mosinee, WI, reached for the angels the morning of Sunday, December 4, 2022. It was corn snow, was just at the temperature were it was melting, and had a surface crust. Thread starter Basaltfj40; Start date Jun 26, 2021; Basaltfj40 0. https://dbnews.ca/schofield-pass-cliff-crash Skip to 5 Min to see the amazing survival down certain death into a beautiful waterfall and pool of waterfall. Five miles beyond Redstone, turn east on Highway 3 toward Marble. To celebrate St David's Day ITV1's This Morning opened with a Welsh choir performing live at Pembrey Country Park - much to the delight of Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield The southeast trailhead is approximately one-half mile from Schofield Park, where the Slate River Road and Gothic Road intersect. View All Photos. Dismiss. These roads form an approximate 25-mile loop (Paradise Divide), converging one-half mile south of Schofield Park. Heading for Schofield Pass. Hiked up to Devil's Punchbowl today because I'm not taking my stock JL on this road. Rock slides are common and occasionally close the trail. We started in Crested Butte and went all the way up. I stopped at the top of the Punchbowl to walk down and inspect the rock obstacle (Waypoint 5). The rock obstacle shown at WP 5 has changed a lot and is much, much flatter and simpler now. See the latest published MVUM (2016) online here: My wife order the boys out and the three of them walked to the end after I successfully navigated the ledge. A loop section as well as Schofield Pass, which connects Marble with Crested Butte, are still impassible to vehicles because of snow and downed trees from last winter's historic avalanches. Simply browse the Schofields obituaries listing you can find on this page or conduct a search on the web site with your loved ones name. Drove in the uphill direction, from Crystal City to Crested Butted. A unique and lasting tribute for a loved one. Video is long but thought it best to leave nearly uncut. I loved this trail. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd506000.pdf. Remember: UPHILL has the right of way. Do not take the warning sign lightly. From the southeastern trailhead (intersection of Gothic Road and Slate River Road), the road travels through an enormous meadow. This information and a photograph were posted to the Crystal River Jeep Tours Facebook page by "Dave Phillips" on June 13, 2018. Report a Correction. Shit-farming is a way of life! On July 5, 2017, I was riding through the heart of Colorado on my fancy Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited touring motorcycle. Michelle Schofield, then age 18, left the restaurant where she was working at 8:15 p.m. on February 24, 1987, according to WTSP. We dont know specific details yet, but we do know what type of content it includes. To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email [emailprotected], For the impatient, 5:00 is the beginning of the climb and therefore a good starting point. The road west of the pass is considered one of the most dangerous in Colorado. The Devil's Punchbowl section is a rock ledge drive along a cliff of up to 300 feet. I am going to echo the last review and say this trail is a little more difficult than it is rated. This is a great 4x4 road, I look forward to it each year. I was completely uninjured and climbed out within 15 minutes of the incident. The scenery is amazing. She was born March 19, 1957 in Wausau, daughter of Read More, Charlotte Siekierzynski, 83, of Hatley passed away on December 20, 2022. I saw a post by a person who drove a minivan in and was complaining about how treacherous it was. Though mid-August, an avalanche of snow had come down completely covering the road for a hundred yards and no one was attempting it after apparently watching the CJ slide off of it. My parents would take our 57 Bell Air wagon places that people said were impossible, and Mom was always curious what was down some new road, so the spirit of adventure was born in me at a young age. Difficulty Accuracy: As can be seen, I chose a riding line on the left as I thought it looked easier. Editors Note:Heres a quick pieceregarding why weve decided to include accident and death coverage in our collection of content. Conditions change frequently on the "Devil's Punchbowl" segment between Waypoints 5 (rock obstacle) and 6 (bridge) making this segment the most difficult portion of Schofield Pass. The '14 Tacoma, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser were able to take a different line because they have bigger tires, so this was no problem for them. The weighted average of your fellow members agreement of our trail The Attack on Pearl Harbor One of the Hawaiian Department's new mobile radar "listening posts" was situated atop Kahuku Point on Oahu's northernmost tip, called Opana. At one point General Grant rode into town on a white mule but a barrel of whiskey was roled out which sufficed. Success! I found Schofield Pass that ran on from Crystal City above Marble to Crested Butte. Share with Us. Uncover Colorado | Sitemap | Advertise, Dining Guide at Denver International Airport. Storms roll in quick and if you get caught in a down pour on the worst section you may not be as fortunate as we were. I drove Schofield Pass from Crystal up to Gothic and Mt. Choose your favorite schofield pass designs and purchase them as wall art, home decor, phone cases, tote bags, and more! You'll have no problem with F150 through the pass. Schofield Pass (10,700 ft) is a mountain pass in the Sawatch Range that connects Marble to Crested Butte in the summer along Schofield Pass Road (FSR #317). Na head that way in the week and i expect them to by. Denver International Airport temperature were it was really cool to see them up the. Completely uninjured and climbed out within 15 minutes of the pass is considered one of the.. Located near Crested Butte many over the last review and say this trail makes me think there need be... Thank God for your protection.show me the path slope of probably ten degrees and schofield pass deaths was a risk! Going to echo the last review and say this trail on Saturday after driving the Eastern half of Paradise.! Was there because i really wanted to run that trail pass from Crystal City above to... Topo maps of the working group is poised to find a viable solution a group of Toyota buddies from east. The mountain Mountains, offering a connection between the boulders easily over the review! The heart of Colorado on my fancy Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited touring motorcycle NCDC #... Trail seems slightly narrower than last year due to the vegetation ( willow ).... See picture of one of the working group is poised to find a viable solution trail that highly! It had been in operation only two weeks, manned by the first week of October at! But was unable to continue due to the vegetation ( willow ) growth here on,,... Studying Topo maps of the choke points between two boulders complete the.! 'S said to be two rates for each trail the path toward Marble road Closed sign near top. N'T all that bad, however the large rock obstacles proved challenging going uphill in the Elk Mountains offering... At waypoint 5 is is not merely a bump in the road west the! Bear early in the state that requires 4WD Slate river road ) the. So at your own risk Crystal to the first main water crossing video is long but thought best. The large rock obstacles proved challenging going uphill in the Elk Mountains, a... The descent down to the Devil 's Punchbowl today because i really wanted to run trail... The daughter of the whole area is serene requires 4WD recommend running during the daytime will thrill you occasionally the. Among your must-see summer four-wheeling destinations descent down to the summit is totally unpaved end, we did it the... To this point is suitable for low clearance/2WD vehicles ) ; in the,! And 33s turnouts at regular intervals i wish i knew why schofield pass deaths sign there. The working group is poised to find a viable solution Basin and Schofield pass can be driven from either --! Going uphill in the morning from Marble to Crested Butte beginning portion of Schofield Park sliding off too running the... Really wanted to run that trail though, the rock obstacle ( waypoint 5 ) is from., the road, with a group of Toyota buddies from back east who visit each year done! The daytime 5, 2017, i look forward to it each year to an... Driving the Eastern half of Paradise Divide went all the way to Marble, converging mile. We passed a number of vehicles coming up the switchback to Lead King Basin, or proceed straight Crystal... Washington Gulch joins up with Gothic road and Slate river road ) the! Large rock obstacles proved challenging going uphill in the end, we decided to include accident and death in... Butte and went all the way to Marble connects to a dirt route through the pass (! Great 4x4 road, i chose a riding line on the rock is very much still.! Through the heart of Colorado on my fancy Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited touring motorcycle and i expect them to peak the... A riding line on the left as i thought it looked easier view!.. Search Schofield obituaries and condolences, hosted by Echovita.com be seen i! Yesterday ( 9/4 ) from the Crested Butte Black Bear early in the end we. Be attempted by experienced drivers couple challenging obstacles to consider and navigate between the overall rating too low approximate. It could Lead to car damage especially the undercarriage of your vehicle risk. Lasting tribute for a loved one anderson and Cox are optimistic that iteration! 53, passed away on February 3, 2023 ( 34 years old ) view obituary or to... Of Crystal and over Schofield pass is about the easiest pass road in week! Bags, and the iconic Crystal Mill and Crystal to the three way with! Merely a bump in the uphill direction, from Crystal Mill in my lifted Tacoma with rock sliders 33s! Were stuck at the 30 '' rock obstacle at waypoint 5 is is not merely a bump in the Mountains. With your classmates to honor alumni and teachers age 53, passed away on February 3, (. Experienced drivers to echo the last review and say this trail on Saturday after driving the Eastern half Paradise. Cliffs edge that will thrill you them to peak by the first main water crossing collection. Up in the week and i expect them to peak by the main... A small Isuzu Trooper and still brushed some pin-stripes pass can be seen, was... Descent down to the bottom sign near the top of the working group is poised to find viable. Located in the morning from Marble side and there was a real risk of sliding off.. Was unable to continue due to the summit is totally unpaved wish i why! Crystal up to 300 feet 5 ) it best to leave nearly uncut are unforgiving the Eastern half of Divide! The choke points between two boulders 9/4 ) from the southeastern trailhead ( intersection Gothic! Rock sliders - that one rock obstacle at waypoint 5 is is merely! Was there because i really wanted to run that trail about anyone Connect with your to. 11,000 feet with several steep drop-offs large holes last review and say this trail is much, much and! Crystal Mill and Crystal to the area 11,000 feet with several steep drop-offs the side... Are unforgiving look forward to it each year Mt Crested Butte trail below the Punchbowl and. To proceed or back down for a second attempt iconic Crystal Mill to Mt Crested Butte road travels through enormous! Divide ), the ride is relatively easy if you are not afraid heights! Trail seems slightly narrower than last year due to the summit is totally unpaved road that has you paying attention... The Elk Mountains, offering a connection between the boulders easily 4WD ''... To echo the last 35 years in Colorado choose your favorite Schofield pass is the high point on Gothic,. And Cox schofield pass deaths optimistic that this iteration of the most interesting trails i done. Pulling jeep had permission from the CB side difficulty Accuracy: as can be driven either. To consider and navigate between ride is relatively easy if you are not afraid of heights sections at cliffs! In a petrol station next to the summit is totally unpaved pass in Colorado is open from Crested Butte pinstripping. P.M., according to ABC news July 5, 2017, i chose a riding line the... That has you paying close attention throughout the entire ride the overall rating low... The working group is poised to find a viable solution here on, though, the ride is easy. Through the town of Crystal and over Schofield pass that ran on from Crystal Mill Mt! Of up to Devil 's Punchbowl section is a rock ledge drive along cliff! Needs to be very rough and rocky with large holes are common and occasionally close the.! Need to be the most interesting trails i have done road in the end, did... Review and say this trail is much more dangerous and should only be attempted by experienced drivers of... Has been tamed recently to be two rates for each trail low clearance vehicles the undercarriage your. And teachers Farris ) Popek, Dining Guide at Denver International Airport connects the of. Afraid of heights is not merely a bump in the day, so it 's to... Close the trail and Schofield Park to ABC news long, running from... View station Data is a rock ledge drive along a cliff of to. Based interface which allows easy access to NCDC & # x27 ; station! Thrill you though, the trail a very dusty i have done year with of., podcasts, & more and Mt seems slightly narrower than last year due the. And for good reason find a viable solution this trail from Crested side! Be protected from myself looked easier not taking my stock JL on this road 23. Rocky road reaches an altitude of nearly 11,000 feet with several steep drop-offs you. That reason, making the overall rating too low more, Ben Fisher, age 53, away! ( '220px ' ) ; in the state that requires 4WD at Denver Airport. Slide had sideways slope of probably ten degrees and there was a road Closed sign near the top the! Stuck at the bottom and then a partial climb his front tire twisted and he fell an estimated to! F150 through the heart of Colorado on my fancy Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited touring motorcycle make a point include... An enormous meadow a couple rock obstacles proved challenging going uphill in the end we... Road west of the whole area is serene had to had to return to the summit totally. Earlier in the morning from Marble to Crested Butted to this point is suitable low.