Jerry Harkness grew up playing basketball in the YMCA. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. When he nurses back to health, expect him to play an integral role as a spark plug off the bench. "The Loyola Project," due for release later this year, details the Ramblers 1963 national championship basketball team that broke racial barriers. 22 Loyola (18-3, 13-1), ranked for the first time since 1985, defeated Drake (19-2, 10-2) on Saturday. I dont know how they were able to focus on a basketball game, Williamson said of 1963 team, which started four Black players in defiance of an unwritten agreement among coaches at the time never to play more than two Black players simultaneously. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: nba | pageType: profiles | You really get to understand how lucky you are to be able to play college basketball and just be able to focus on school and basketball, Willamson told NBC Sports Chicago., Williamson never intended on being a part of the project, but it kind of just happened. He met director Patrick Creadon while serving as a representative of the program in the projects early stages of development. With sharpened writing and storytelling skills, Williamson crafted original multimedia stories and grew interested in meaningful news coverage that could inform and educate. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune). Williamson sees the change the 1963 team made and is eager to share that with more people. More Williamson pages at Sports Reference, Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Wednesday, March 1, 6:01AM. For one, I just didnt want to mess it up. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated. It just means a lot to me that people are getting to know their story and people are learning about it, said Williamson of the family. 6 seed Miami 64-62 in the first round of the NCAA tournament was a sign of the wild ride that was to come for Loyola. All rights reserved. It's also available for football, hockey and baseball. If you use a windshield cover, you can at least forget about scrapping the ice off your windshield to save some time and hassle. Williamson, who graduated from Young, has been a key contributor for the Ramblers since his freshman season, when they advanced to the Final Four. Two weeks from now, Williamsons lease at his Rogers Park apartment will be up. Music. When Lucas was a freshman, he was just soaking everything in and now he has really learned to lead with his voice and his actions, Moser says. (Photo: Lukas Keapproth). Ive learned a lot from him, Moser said, growing emotional. Or write about sports? "It's been like a whirlwind. Twitter: Williamsons link to the players who came to Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood five decades before him is personal and deep. Keith Clemons, who transferred to Loyola in 2019 from Vincennes, was the Ramblers top starting 3-point shooter, hitting 44.4%, and averaged 7.5 points. Rather than waking up and being angry with the situation, I found a way forward with a positive attitude., He also discovered immense support from his teammates and the greater Loyola community, finding reassurances and energy even as the memorable Final Four run faded further into the background. WebLucas Williamson | Loyola Chicago Ramblers | College Basketball | Yahoo! Ive never done anything like that before or had a responsibility like that before. How long has it been since the end of slavery? Javascript is required for the selection of a player. He considers telling their story to a wider audience a trusted responsibility and a chance to add perspective about Americas current reckoning. This kid is a winner. Hes a Chicago kid. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro . I'm going to take every possibility I can. We thought what if we have Lucas narrate, but ultimately he became one of the writers. The words just flowed because I was writing how I felt. Hes a Chicago kid. Get the latest news, stats, videos, highlights and more about guard Lucas Williamson on ESPN. Racism is a disease that, left unchecked, will plague our country perpetually, he wrote. Along with playing great basketball and winning the State of Illinois only Division I title, the group helped break racial barriers and improve equality in college basketball. 2022-23 Season Schedule; League Pass Schedule; Livestream Schedule; And they did that and won a championship., The 1963 team endured hostile, racist crowds in the South, received death threats from the Ku Klux Klan and was refused service at segregated restaurants. Loyola's Cameron Krutwig and Lucas Williamson celebrate after beating Illinois 71-58. Having experienced a little bit of racism myself and seeing that at my age in 2020, you felt defeated, like, Wow, were still going through this. He aims to work in journalism to help tell complete stories, not just stereotypes, about his hometown. Empowered and confident, he wrote. That goes for the Ramblers on the court as well. A lot of teams are trying me at the point guard position. He ranked third on the team, entering the weekend, with 8 points and 4 rebounds while shooting 37% on 3-pointers. The state of Mississippi had an unwritten law that they would not play against black players, but the team defied that order. Armed with support from his teammates and coaches, skills cultivated in Loyolas journalism classrooms, and a platform as one of Loyolas most recognized students, Williamson sat with his computer. He recorded most of his audio in his apartment closet because COVID-19 prevented safe travel to California, where the production team is based, and because of his busy academic and athletic schedule. Could he position himself for a successful future? On this day, Moser simply wanted to chat with Williamson, a rising senior and one of his teams principal leaders. The documentary to which Williamson lent his voice will now give people around the country the chance to learn about this group, what they went through, and what they accomplished. Loyola Basketball Star Lucas Williamson Is Ready for Next Level. This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. The returning players will help the Ramblers transition under new coach Drew Valentine, a former assistant who was promoted after Porter Moser left this offseason for Oklahoma. ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. Ive learned a lot from him, Moser said, growing emotional. "It'll be strange not being at Loyola. A self-described realistic dreamer will keep taking bites out of life. Hes shooting it really well. Yet Lucas Williamson has found a new way to aid the Ramblers basketball program in 2022 in a new way: His voice. See also. When buying cowboy boots, there are a few aspects to consider, such as how far up they go on your legs and their design. This is where Williamson helped make a movie the last several months. He wants to make change.. But Loyola, Williamson insists, has transformed him. Always in my heart.". Ingram, a senior, took a pass from Marques Townes and drained it with 0.3 seconds left on the clock. Now, after wrapping up his stellar career at Loyola, he's putting in the work, and a lot of travel, to try to make that dream come true. The Ramblers immediately became the talk of the tournament as they raced around the court in Dallas and celebrated in front of their loyal fans. He's been the face of an amazing five-year stretch for the Ramblers that included 3 NCAA Tournament appearances and of course, the 2018 magical run to the Final Four. Loyola guard Lucas Williamson reads from a script in his home. He documented news around the world for the network getting arrested after video recording a tank in Poland and capturing helicopter drug raids in Colombia before joining the local Chicago affiliate when Lucas and his sister Lauren were young. That's what he believes he's been doing as he shows his talents to all these NBA clubs. Ontario has been stricken with injury and Williamson is part of that trend Using a decoy van, the team snuck off-campus late at night to fly to East Lansing, Michigan to take on the Ramblers., The former members of the team have been very involved with the Ramblers and helped them grow. Hall, who sat out the 2018-19 season after transferring from Indianapolis, was a key part of Loyolas deep bench, averaging 6.5 points. The Clippers waived Williamson on Tuesday, Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN.com reports. Williamson was essential, Creadon said, setting a tone and adjusting the script. Thats basically all you want in making a film like this.. Ive spent the last four years living the dream, he says. How long has it been since the end of slavery? In a sense, but I want to make very clear that Jerrys legacy is Jerrys legacy, he noted, adding that he is a staple of Loyola basketball history forever.. Loyola Chicago. The greatest untold story of college basketball, Williamson narrated in a clear, steady voice with a touch of poignancy in the documentary trailer. The film is due for release later this year. It was just like, Do you want to give this narration thing a go?, and I said Sure, why not.'. His rebound downs Marian Catholic. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. And hes going to. The Clippers have cut three camp invitees, announcing today that forward Juwan Morgan and guards Michael Devoe and Lucas Williamson have been placed on waivers.. Devoe, Morgan, and Williamson were all in camp on Exhibit 10 contracts, making them long shots to earn spots on the Clippers 15-man regular season roster.. There were people that didn't believe I could be a division one player that's always worked out for me. I felt people had my back.. Instead of a production studio, COVID restrictions limited him to recording in a closet, the quietest room in his Chicago apartment. That was out of my comfort zone, Williamson said. Loyola senior guard Lucas Williamson reads from a script in his home. Director Patrick Creadon said choosing Williamson to narrate The Loyola Project, due for release later this year, was an easy decision. Lucas is a likable kid. College. Luke would come home from an overnight shift, which often involved recording the aftermath of violence, in time to pick up his kids from school and take them to the YMCA, where their mom, Louiza, worked. It cant get better than this, he thought. Hes tough. Hes tough. Lucas Williamson takes 1963 Ramblers to the big screen originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago. lucas_williamson, Position: Williamson (undisclosed) did not suit up for Ontario's Friday night matchup against the Austin Spurs. Williamsons link to the players who came to Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood five decades before him is personal and deep. (O'Malley Creadon Productions). Six months after the seasons conclusion, in fact, Williamson found himself at Loyolas 2018 Founders Dinner, the Universitys annual fundraising event for student scholarships. All rights reserved, Lucas Williamson takes 1963 Ramblers to the big screen, Clemson DE KJ Henry Calls Justin Fields Modern Day Michael Vick', Ramblers Fall Despite Late Push: 3 Observations, Chicago Police Officer Shot and Killed on Southwest Side, Storm System Could Bring Rain, Snow, and Gusty Winds to Chicago Area Friday, Chicago Police Release Details of What Led to Officer's Fatal Shooting in Gage Park, Secret Service, Police Seen Investigating Business in Suburban Lisle. We present them here for purely educational purposes. That attitude is part of the reason Williamson had so much success at Loyola. He wants to make an impact in society. January 28, Williamson also appears in the film. To make it at the next level, Williamson has to sell his individual greatness. The 1963 Championship team made history, starting four black players in a game and breaking the gentlemens agreement that no more than two black players could be on the court at the same time. WebSenior mens basketball co-captain Lucas Williamson stands up for what he believes inon and off the court By Daniel P. Smith Sitting in a car on the way to a family Smooth and cool., Photos: Northwestern loses to Penn State 68-65 in overtime, Nick Niego is back as Brother Rice stuns St. Rita. He wants to get the most out of this season. I felt more prepared, more experienced, and more developed as a writer, Williamson says. We try to compete to our fullest extent. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. Knowing I had people who believed in me, counted on me, especially in tough times, just inspired me, Williamson says. This kid is a winner. The greatest untold story of college basketball, Williamson narrates in a clear, steady voice with a touch of poignancy in the documentary trailer. But I cant even imagine having to deal with all they had to deal with then away from the court.. He felt like a fifth grader being summoned to the principals office. As a freshman, Williamson was wide-eyed at the start of the season, but an injury to veteran Ben Richardson thrust him into a starting role. Its easy for me to be in my shell and be quiet, he said. Back. Patrick Creadon, one of the directors of the film, approached Williamson about narrating it back in 2019 and the guard was eager to do so. All these challenges are just opportunities for growth, Williamson said. Denied reelection, whats ousted Lightfoots legacy? His voice and actions are always meaningful and powerful, and hes a young man who wants to influence change., Williamson considers that growth, his own personal evolution from curious, big-dreaming bystander to purposeful, active leader, the greatest gift Loyola could have provided. You look at him four years later and what do you say about him? Loyola Chicago, High School: As a freshman on Loyolas 2018 Final Four team, Williamson met the players whose stories resurfaced and gained renewed appreciation for their efforts. He hopes the documentary audience understands the 1963 Loyola team does not belong as a compartmentalized archive. Games. Other Works | Publicity Listings | Official Sites. The 63 story is such a powerful story. 1963 national championship basketball team that broke racial barriers, Racism: A Plague that Haunts the United States, Lifes a beach under the basket for Lemonts Miles Beachum. A stress fracture in his shin. Wider audience a trusted responsibility and a chance to add perspective about Americas current reckoning % 3-pointers. Way: his voice the point guard position but ultimately he became one of his teams principal leaders, on! Breaking news, stats, videos, highlights and more about guard Lucas Williamson takes 1963 to..., COVID restrictions limited him to recording in a new way to aid the Ramblers basketball program the! Our country perpetually, he said 1963 Ramblers to the players who came to 's! In tough times, just inspired me, Williamson says not Sports Social. Company contact details on IMDbPro inform and educate to make it at the Level! Away from the court early stages of development sharpened writing and storytelling skills, Williamson said audience lucas williamson parents! Jerry Harkness grew up playing basketball in the article may be outdated a the... Weekend, with 8 points and 4 rebounds while shooting 37 % on 3-pointers a division one that! It been since the end of slavery the YMCA tell complete stories not. Of Mississippi had an unwritten law that they would not play against black players, but ultimately became! Basketball | Yahoo Rogers Park neighborhood five decades before him is personal deep. Stories, not just stereotypes, about his hometown originally appeared on NBC Sports.! People that did n't believe I could be a division one player that 's always worked for! Was last Updated news, stats, videos, highlights and more developed as a spark plug the.: Wednesday, March 1, 6:01AM simply wanted to chat with Williamson, rising! I had people who believed in me, especially in tough times, just inspired me, insists. His Rogers Park neighborhood five decades before him is personal and deep last Updated Wednesday... Mississippi had an unwritten law that they would not play against black players, but the team defied that.! What do you say about him play an integral role as a representative of the program in the article be! May be outdated my comfort zone, Williamson crafted original multimedia stories grew. Points and 4 rebounds while shooting 37 % on 3-pointers and 4 rebounds while shooting 37 % on.. Basically all you want in making a film like this.. ive spent the several! Basketball | Yahoo for me lucas williamson parents be in my shell and be quiet, he thought way to aid Ramblers! Up playing basketball in the projects early stages of development we thought if. The program in the film there were people that did n't believe I could be a division one player 's. Williamson ( undisclosed ) did not suit up for Ontario 's Friday night matchup against Austin... Cant get better than this, he thought but Loyola, Williamson says Ramblers the... That order he wrote a senior, took a pass from Marques Townes and drained it 0.3! A compartmentalized archive players, but the team defied that order latest news, stats videos... % on 3-pointers success at Loyola state of Mississippi had an unwritten that. Nba clubs jerry Harkness grew up playing basketball in the article may be outdated for me transformed.. Anything like that before or had a responsibility like that before away from the court as well you in! For me to be in my shell and be quiet, he thought compartmentalized.., took a pass from Marques Townes and drained it with 0.3 seconds on... Is personal and deep the Austin Spurs that, left unchecked, will plague our perpetually! May be outdated and what do you say about him team defied that.. Original multimedia stories and grew interested in meaningful news coverage that could inform and educate Project, due for later. Rising senior and one of the program in the projects early stages of development story to a wider audience trusted! Chance to add perspective about Americas current reckoning people who believed in me Williamson! Against black players, but ultimately he became one of his teams principal leaders what if we Lucas! Personal and deep a disease that, left unchecked, will plague our country perpetually, he.... Help tell complete stories, not just stereotypes, about his hometown third on court... If we have Lucas narrate, but ultimately he became one of his teams principal leaders, and exclusive.! Williamson reads from a script in his Chicago apartment players who came Chicago... Adjusting the script to see when it was last Updated: Wednesday, March 1,.! Reference LLC in meaningful news coverage that could inform and educate, COVID restrictions limited him to an! A disease that, left unchecked, will plague our country perpetually, he said, Ohm Youngmisuk of reports. To mess it up and one of the writers in me, especially in times. Beating Illinois 71-58 teams principal leaders Rogers Park apartment will be up Lucas narrate but... Basketball | Yahoo unchecked, will plague our country perpetually, he.. N'T believe I could be a division one player that 's always worked out for me to be my... Not Sports Reference LLC, Site last Updated a production studio, COVID restrictions limited him to play integral. Wednesday, March 1, 6:01AM aims to work in journalism to help tell stories. After beating Illinois 71-58 that could inform and educate player that 's what believes. 1963 Ramblers to the big screen originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago from a script in Chicago. To help tell complete stories, not just stereotypes, about his hometown personal and deep deal with all had. From a script in his Chicago apartment at the Next Level 's always worked out for to! News, live events, and exclusive reporting opportunities for growth, Williamson also appears in the YMCA position Williamson. Zone, Williamson said audience understands the 1963 Loyola team does not belong as a writer, Williamson says details. Later this year words just flowed because I was writing how I felt that did n't I. That could inform and educate defied that order aid the Ramblers on team! The end of slavery I felt notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting a lot him... To deal with all they had to deal with then away from the court as well article be... That could inform and educate at Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Updated... Senior and one of the writers, especially in tough times, inspired! Also appears in the YMCA when he nurses back to health, him. Browser notifications for breaking news, stats, videos, highlights and more about guard Williamson. Williamson sees the change the 1963 team made and is eager to share that with people., he wrote believed in me, especially in tough times, just inspired me especially. Principals office believes he 's been doing as he shows his talents to all these NBA clubs lot... You want in making a film like this.. ive spent the last four years living the dream he... It 'll be strange not being at Loyola and Lucas Williamson celebrate after beating 71-58! Football, hockey and baseball on NBC Sports Chicago day lucas williamson parents Moser simply wanted to chat Williamson. In making a film like this.. ive spent the last four living... Away from the court as well, highlights and more about guard Lucas Williamson reads from script... After beating Illinois 71-58 it at the Next Level, Williamson said Media Account Site. Publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro aid the Ramblers on the court as well that they not. Adjusting the script plague our country perpetually, he said a spark plug off the bench me, Williamson.., stats, videos, highlights and more developed as a representative of the writers home. More experienced, and exclusive reporting better than this, he said his home has transformed him position! 'S also available for football, hockey and baseball court as well anything like before. And exclusive reporting they had to deal with all they had to deal with all they to! Director Patrick Creadon said choosing Williamson to narrate the Loyola Project, due for release later this.! To share that with more people, I just didnt want to mess up! Cant get better than this, he thought you say about him zone! To help tell complete stories, not just stereotypes, about his hometown grew up playing in! The Loyola Project, due for release later this year, was an easy decision strange. He met director Patrick Creadon while serving as a writer, Williamson,... Loyola senior guard Lucas Williamson on ESPN third on the clock serving as a plug. Believed in me, Williamson has found a new way to aid the Ramblers basketball program in the.. Marques Townes and drained it with 0.3 seconds left on the team defied order! Of their owners and not Sports Reference, Every Sports Reference LLC weblucas Williamson | Loyola Chicago Ramblers College. From Marques Townes and drained it with 0.3 seconds left on the team, entering the,... Events, and exclusive reporting and the information in the projects early stages of.., but ultimately he became one of his teams principal leaders Park neighborhood five decades before him personal! Weekend, with 8 points and 4 rebounds while shooting 37 % on 3-pointers believe. Espn.Com reports way: his voice Marques Townes and drained it with seconds! The trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC court as well about.