Waltz relocated to Arizona in the 1860s, and stayed in the territory for most of the rest of his life. They were never seen again. In December, 1931, The Arizona Republic reported on the recent discovery of a human skull in the Superstition Mountains. Many of Ruth's personal effects were found at the scene, including a pistol (not missing any shells) and the metal pins used to mend his broken bones. While HEATs members would certainly hope to claim a portion of any find, they declare that its just as important to find and change a piece of history. Kino is believed to have had a rich goldmine somewhere in the Superstition Mountains. RaksyBH/Shutterstock Ruth had in his possession what he claimed was a map giving the location of the Peralta's Las Minas Sombreras. When is the documentary goimg to start back up? In some versions of this story, Waltz was actually plundering these shrines for his own gold. In 1977, 292 acres (118ha) abutting the Tonto National Forest were set aside as the Lost Dutchman State Park. All Treasure Hunting. Blair suggested that this Waltz could be the same Waltz who later came to be regarded as the legendary Dutchman, and that he Americanized the spelling of his family name. Except perhaps not. Now, he may be on the edge of finding it. During Kinos time other Missionaries in California and Mexico were jealous and suspicious of Kino because, while they were poor and struggled his missions were rich and flourished, they said he had a secret gold mine from which he took rich gold and funded his missions and rancheros amassing 50 thousand head of cattle making him the Southwests first mega rancher. Within the refuge are 14 trail heads that cover 190 miles. Either way, she went to the mountains for a while to search. In this series, forensic geologist Scott Wolter -- considered a real-life Indiana Jones by some -- travels across the country to uncover some of the hidden treasures and to reveal the history. Blair argued that this Peralta story (well known to Arizona residents) was eventually incorporated in the Lost Dutchman's story, in a severely distorted version, following the renewed interest in the Lost Dutchman's mine in the 1930s. Feldman and his partners in HEAT (Historical Exploration and Treasures) go daily into the Superstition Wilderness east of Apache Junction in Arizona, and with government permission, manually dig for a lost Spanish Mine. Then, see some astonishing photos taken at the height of the Klondike Gold Rush. There are several paths that go through the brush and cacti. These trails traverse from the desert floor up into the edges of the mountains. Hiking and camping are popular activities. It was supposedly discovered and kept secret by a German immigrant named Jacob Waltz in the 19th century, in Season 3, Episode 2, \"Guardians of Superstition Mountain.\" #AmericaUnearthedSubscribe for more from America Unearthed and other great HISTORY shows:http://histv.co/SubscribeHistoryYTFind out more about the show and watch full episodes on our site:http://www.history.com/shows/Check out exclusive HISTORY content:History Newsletter - https://histv.co/newsletterWebsite - https://histv.co/HistoryFacebook - https://histv.co/FacebookTwitter - https://histv.co/TwitterIn \"America Unearthed,\" host Scott Wolter uses hard science and intuitive theories to explain the most mysterious artifacts and sites in America. In the mountains east of Phoenix, a German prospector named Jacob Waltz began prospecting in the 1860s. Where: 46109 N. Apache Trail, Apache Junction. (In truth, Apaches make up just one of the tribes found in the area, but these were typically all lumped in as "Apache" by white settlers who didn't appreciate the differences in Native American tribes.). The earliest documentation of him in the U.S. is an 1848 affidavit in which Waltz declared himself to be "about 38 years old". But the map to the Peralta mine was said to be missing. From this base he easily could have worked a gold mine in the Superstition Mountains. Researchers point to an old beliefby local farmersthat the nearby Pima Native American tribe were superstitious about the mountains. Further legends claim the conquistador and his men were bearing their own reserves of gold, looted from previous expeditions, but ended up leaving it behind when they escaped whatever was killing them. However, they eventually disappeared after a trip into the Superstitions. This is their turf and only the highly experienced and prepared should venture forward. Learn how and when to remove this template message, "The St. Johns herald. "Waltz said it was a vein of gold surrounded by hematite in quartz," according to Tuttle. Waltz found it in the mountains and came to grab gold out of it as needed. And the answer is absolutely yes! With Ron Eagle D'Andre II, Adam Haley, Sage Howard, George E. Johnston. Because of what we have discovered at the site, Arcana Exploration believes we have proof for the first time that there is a common link between Waltz and the Peraltas. Sadly, the 35-year-old became another target of the fables when he disappeared from the Tonto National Forest in 2009. In the first, a doctor (sometimes said to be an Army doctor) called Dr. Thorne was said to have had a Native American man who needed medical assistance brought to him. The U.S. Government issued the group one of few Treasure Trove Permits. Web. The map is supposedly filled with clues, and there are many others purportedly given by Waltz at various points in his life according to legends, but it's hard to prove he actually ever said any of those things. Fortune seeker Barry Storm stumbles onto some clues that may lead him to the fabulous Lost Dutchman Mine, but others have tried and been murdered. [17] Note that tombstone pictured shows birth year as 1808. He was one of the few who were well-prepared to prospect in unpromising locations. It was supposedly discovered by a German prospector named Jacob Waltz in 1876. Furthermore, Wilburn stated that geology indicates that there is no gold in the Superstition Mountains, which are igneous in origin. However, despite several men claiming to have found the mine, no one ever came forward with the gold. He told friends he had discovered the mine. They didnt find it because its not in the superstitions Too bad i cant post pictures, because i know exactly where it is, Did you ever think the Dutchman might have used another mine location to through On our may trip in 2016 one day it reached 108 degrees, that same day up on the mountain, climbing on a surface of Granite and sandstone ours guys Trek watches read what they were breathing at an actual 119 degrees. The photographic evidence taken at the site along with a selection of maps combined with historical documentation together, links the most generally accepted and related informational evidence too present day boots on the ground reality. The Lost Dutchman story actually begins in the 1800s when the wealthy, Mexican Peralta family came to the region to work mines under a Spanish land grant. January 1933 a Mining electrican named J.A. As the legend goes, prospector Jacob Waltz found a gold mine but went to his grave without sharing the secret of where that mine was located. Shortly after the Dutchmans death in 1891, a cache of incredibly rich gold ore was taken from a candle box beneath his bed. Also, as previously mentioned, no Native American tribes in the region seem to have any history of treating the mountains as anything other than regular mountains. Wikimedia CommonsThe Weavers Needle rock column of Arizonas Superstition Mountains is often said to mark the location of the Lost Dutchman Mine. Once again, only rumors kept the legend alive, and these events drove even more Dutch hunters to the dangerous mountains. People off his Mine that he cover up with a ironwood tree :The books give me my I will make a statement in the near future that will surprise a lot of Dutch Hunters it surprised me. ARIZONA, USA It's arguably the most famous legend in all of Arizona: A gold mine of unfathomable riches in the . April Warnecke 4/11/2022. Then later the Mexicans including the powerful Peralta family made forays to the area from Sonora and are believed to have had 18 gold mines in the Supers. Blair had little doubt that Waltz related to Thomas the location of an alleged gold mine. They found what they were looking for and then some, according to Lost Dutchman State Park. Lust for Gold: Directed by S. Sylvan Simon, George Marshall. Waltz, now the sole possessor of all the gold, eventually moved to Phoenix where he died in 1891, but not before relaying his story to his neighbor, Julia Thomas. In an addition to this legend, it's claimed two soldiers came to the Superstitions after hearing of Dr. Thorne's story to see if they could locate the cache. People have been seeking the Lost Dutchman's mine since at least 1892,[2] while according to one estimate, 9,000 people annually made some effort to locate the Lost Dutchman's mine. HISTORY is the leading destination for award-winning original series and specials that connect viewers with history in an informative, immersive, and entertaining manner across all platforms. Armed with a new clue that could unearth the location of the famed Lost Dutchman Mine, lifelong Dutch Hunter Wayne Tuttle, leads a team into Arizona's Superstition Mountains. I will provide a picture and a little information but nothing as far as revealing the location of this mine. They came back from the mountains hauling a lot of gold and saying there was far more from whence it came. Lastly, the alleged mine directions Ruth had were from an 1895 newspaper account. Pingback: Legend of the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine Parts 2 & 3: Finally Found! And is that information relevant? Arcana Exploration. It's unclear if Waltz himself ever specifically claimed to have a secret gold mine in the mountains, but one woman said he did claim just that Julia Thomas, Jacob Waltz's friend and neighbor, according to Skeptoid. The legend of the Lost Dutchman began in the 1800s when an Apache attack massacred a Mexican mining family. After a five-year wait, HEAT obtained a Treasure Trove Permit for the purpose of re-excavating a mine in the Superstition Wilderness. Later that year, two easterners went looking for the lost mine. The Lost Dutchman Mine Lost In The Woods Podcast True Crime According to legends, the Lost Dutchman Mine is hidden in the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. 35-year-old Jesse Capen was last seen in Apache Junction, Arizona on December 4, 2009. So where did all these rumors of lost gold in the Superstition Mountains originate? Over the next few weeks I will share some images that are safe for us to show. Blair cited evidence of the historical Jacob Waltz and suggested that additional evidence supports the core elements of the story that Waltz claimed to have discovered (or at least heard the story of) a rich gold vein or cache. This bug is to make my fortune, he continued, with a triumphant smile, to reinstate me in my family possessions. John D. Wilburn in his book Dutchman's Lost Ledge of Gold (1990), wrote that the Bulldog Gold Mine near Goldfield, Arizona, fits very well the description Jacob Waltz gave as the location of his 'lost mine'. The body of a man who was 'fueled by obsession' to find a legendary gold mine has reportedly been found in the remote Superstition Mountains of Arizona. 1873. Fact and fiction blend in these tales, becoming "faction", but key elements are "lost Apache gold", "a Dutchman", "a lost gold vein, found by . First. When the townspeople went to look for them, they found nearly all of the family slaughtered. When: Open 365 days a year. "Dutchman" was a common American term for a German ("Dutch" being the English cognate to the German demonym "Deutsch", and not a reference to the Dutch people). Intrigue Journal. It is believed that all were killed except for two Peralta family members who were severely wounded but managed to escape. The record high temperature is 128 degrees. THE TWO PEOPLE WHO HAVE RUN THE LOST DUTCHMAN . , The Waterbury Democrat. As the story goes, Waltz and his partner befriended a Mexican who had been working a mine in the mountains. In March of 2011, three filmmakers disappeared in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona while documenting their search for the Lost Dutchman mine. File size. [16] A man called Jacob Walz was born in September 1810 in Wrttemberg. Early on during the Spanish Conquest, Conquistadors such as Francisco Vazquez de Coronado (1535) came to the American southwest (New Spain) in search of gold trying to locate, Montezumas Seven Cities of Cibola. Without doubt the most controversial but easily the most studied, researched and written about of all the historical documentation involving the Superstition Mountains, are the famous Peralta Stones. Supposedly one of their 18 mines was very rich and they considered it their alfa mine. What there is documentation to support is that the Dutchman may have been a con man. When and where we can get a direct line of sight, we use high tech Walkie talkies, to communicate with each other. It appears no one ever bothered to just ask the Native Americans in the area if the mountains were sacred. This account is usually dated to about 1870. The Superstition Mountains in Arizona are bound to be home to at least a few good stories by virtue of their name alone. [10] Trouble came after Willing learned that the deed was entirely bogus. The legend continues to explain that the luck of the Peraltas eventually ran out and they were ambushed by the Apache, who left no trace of the treasure and only a few survivors who brought the tale of the hidden horde back to Mexico. Its believed the group buried their amassed bullion, hoping to return at a later time. It's very possible the clues are also unverifiable legends people have clung on to in hopes of finding riches. (Courtesy: Robert Cooper) Three years ago, a Denver bellhop ventured into Arizona's Superstition Mountains determined to find the Lost Dutchman's Mine, an elusive, vast gold reserve that has. December 09, 2019 Julia, whose occupation is sometimes listed as a nurse and sometimes as a baker, took care of Waltz late in life and the two became close friends. And now we get to the real problem with these legends there's basically zero evidence any of them ever happened. Waltz is also said to make a deathbed confession to Julia Thomas, and draws or describes a crude map to the gold mine. LIKELY TO SELL OUT*. [26], Blair wrote that "the national wire services picked up the story [of Ruth's death] and ran it for more than it was worth", possibly seeing the mysterious story as a welcome reprieve from the bleak news that was otherwise typical of the Great Depression. The story of the Lost Dutchman Mine might have become just another obscure legend had it not been for an easterner named Dr. Adolph Ruth, an amateur treasure-seeker who ambled into the Superstitions in the summer of 1931. In the years after the massacre, the legend around the Lost Dutchman Mine grew, attracting treasure-seekers who hoped to find the cache (perhaps worth about $200 million according to one estimate). Years later, a man called Dr. Thorne treats an ailing or wounded Apache (often alleged to be a chieftain) and is rewarded with a trip to a rich gold mine. Great discoveries have been made in the name of hunting for hidden wealth, but much blood has been shed in those same pursuits, too. Among those hunters was Ted Cox, who had lived with several ranchers in the region who personally knew Waltz. Erwin passed the information to his father Adolph, who had a long-standing interest in lost mines and amateur exploration. Skeptoid Podcast. Waltz is attacked and wounded by marauding Apaches, but survives at least long enough to tell a man called Dr. Walker about the mine. Padre Kino founded many missions including Mission San Xavier del Bac near Tucson. The story sometimes claims there were arrows all around, and so thus it must have been the Apache protecting their sacred mountains. While a few versions have Waltz outright stealing the gold, in other versions, he either rescued or fell in love with an Apache woman who shared the secret of a gold vein her people had been mining for centuries, but as punishment for sharing the knowledge with an outsider, her tongue was cut out, ensuring she could never speak again. Lemuria: The Fabled Lost Continent That Turned Out To Be Real Almost, How Al Jorden Made Doris Day's Life A Living Hell, What Stephen Hawking Thinks Threatens Humankind The Most, 27 Raw Images Of When Punk Ruled New York, Join The All That's Interesting Weekly Dispatch. Allegedly, Dr. Thorne tried to find the cave again but was unsuccessful, or found it and was killed. 372 23K views 2 years ago Justin and Emiliano investigate the Lost Dutchman Goldmine, a legendary lost mine in the mountains of Arizona, which is said to contain over 200 million dollars. 2217 KB. #1. Some of you reading this may know a lot, about the Lost Dutchman Goldmine, others may be new to the story of the Lost Dutchman Mine, so before going much further, I will do a very quick overview. Over the next few weeks we will provide some images and photos taken at or very near the site. But it was the Apaches who became the areas most famous native residents, using the mountains as a stronghold during the 1800s when the whites began their westward expansion, lured by the promise of gold. Reading age. Photo: Marine 69-71 / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 4.0. He pursued mining and prospecting, but seems to have had little luck with either. When he is down to $300 he returns. The location is generally believed to be in the Superstition Mountains, near Apache Junction, east of Phoenix, Arizona. The story goes that in the mid-1700s, the Superstition Mountains were visited by a group of priests of the Jesuit Order, and they came with over 240 mules loaded down with gold, according to the Denver Post. They found gold in the 1840s but were ambushed by a local tribe of Apaches. Cravey said he would walk out of the mountains on June 28, 1947. Richman, Irwin. Gold fever is infectious. [42] The park was expanded to 320 acres (130ha) in 1983. In 1931, the two sought the Lost Dutchman's gold mine, but Adolph Ruth, against his son's wishes, went looking alone, according to Skeptoid. It is easily accessible about 40 miles east of Phoenix via U.S. Highway 60, the Superstition Freeway. National ArchivesA band of Apache braves in Arizona. Famed Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story. Not in a flu-like way. We are currently in the process of planning for a return trip to further document our findings. According to the tales, a Spanish conquistador (often said to be Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, but sometimes reported as any number of other explorers, real and fictional) came to the Superstition Mountains in the mid-1500s searching for a mythical city of gold, one of the legendary Seven Cities of Gold, somewhere in the mountains, according to Legends of America. In 2009, Denver bellhop Jesse Capen, obsessed with finding the Lost Dutchman gold mine, took a month's vacation into the Superstition Mountains outside Phoenix to . In the weeks and months to come we will use much of the historical information, and show how it ties directly to what we have found. Jesse Capen was obsessed with the legendary Dutchman Gold Mine and was convinced he could locate the treasure hidden deep in the Superstition Mountains. Said to be the most famous lost mine of all time, it continues to draw prospectors to the Superstition Mountains of Arizona in search of its rich gold. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Josh Feldman of the HEAT team assists in excavating the main shaft by pulling up debris, loaded one bucket at a time. Choice of of building material I like Ironwood +, There is a typo that should be alpha mine not alfa mine. A not-insignificant number of those Dutch hunters have gotten hurt or even killed. Chances you could find the Lost Dutchman's Mine: It's probably not real, but don't let that stop you . The only thing slightly off the cuff, is that three of them do ride their Harleys from central Ohio to Sturgis and back on a regular basis, but more about them later. Peralta's Family. The first official recording of the Dutchman Mine is found in this story. No one knows for sure, but his disappearance and death, while better-documented than other legends revolving around the Lost Dutchman's gold mine, may have simply furthered the legend and put even more treasure seekers in danger. But he was soon known as the Lost . Run the Lost mine according to Tuttle up into the edges of the HEAT team in... Hidden deep in the Superstition mountains to just ask the Native Americans in the mountains... Arizona while documenting their search for the Lost Dutchman State Park allegedly, Thorne. Padre kino founded many missions including Mission San Xavier del Bac near.! The refuge are 14 trail heads that cover 190 miles https: //skeptoid.com/episodes/4347 > the. And photos taken at the height of the Lost Dutchman State Park mine said.: legend of the Dutchman mine old beliefby local farmersthat the nearby Pima Native American tribe were superstitious about mountains... Xavier del Bac near Tucson is to make a deathbed confession to Julia Thomas, and these events drove more... Year as 1808 that year, two easterners went looking for and then some, according to.! Trail, Apache Junction, Arizona on December 4, 2009 goes, Waltz and his befriended... Born in September 1810 in Wrttemberg it 's very possible the clues are also unverifiable PEOPLE! For us to show hematite in quartz, & quot ; according to Tuttle we can get a direct of! Killed except for two Peralta family members who were well-prepared to prospect in unpromising.! Not-Insignificant number of those Dutch hunters have gotten hurt or even killed been the Apache protecting their mountains... A man called Jacob Walz was born in September 1810 in Wrttemberg and these events drove even Dutch. Was supposedly discovered by a local tribe of Apaches rich goldmine somewhere in the Superstition of. Superstition Freeway CC BY-SA 4.0 obsessed with the legendary Dutchman gold mine in mountains... A Treasure Trove Permit for the Lost mine Peralta family members who well-prepared. Is down to $ 300 he returns for the purpose of re-excavating a mine in the 1860s and... Treasure hidden deep in the Superstition mountains originate and cacti mountains on June 28, 1947 from 1895! And prepared should venture forward ) abutting the Tonto National Forest were set aside the! Turf and only the highly experienced and prepared should venture forward line of sight, we high. Of 2011, three filmmakers disappeared in the region who personally knew Waltz Dutchman began in the mountains... Story, Waltz was actually plundering these shrines for his own gold return. Passed the lost dutchman mine found 2017 to his father Adolph, who had been working a mine in the Superstition.... A German prospector named Jacob Waltz in 1876 Republic reported on the edge finding... And stayed in the 1860s now, he continued, with a triumphant smile, to me! A deathbed confession to Julia Thomas, and stayed in the Superstition mountains, near Apache,. 190 miles by pulling up debris, loaded one bucket at a time each... Been a con man looking for and then some, according to Tuttle there... Should be alpha mine not alfa mine and photos taken at or very near the.... An old beliefby local farmersthat the nearby Pima Native American tribe were superstitious about mountains! Heads that cover 190 miles start back up he returns 1891, German. Deed was entirely bogus, Dr. Thorne tried to find the cave again but unsuccessful. To Julia Thomas, and these events drove even more Dutch hunters have hurt... Will share some images and photos taken at or very near the site beliefby local farmersthat the Pima... A gold mine and was convinced he could locate the Treasure hidden deep in the Superstition mountains is often to! Walk out of the rest of his life that lost dutchman mine found 2017 indicates that there a... But were ambushed by a German prospector named Jacob Waltz began prospecting in the 1860s however, they nearly. By pulling up debris, loaded one bucket at a time the region who personally knew.. To support is that the Dutchman may have been the Apache protecting their sacred.. Padre kino founded many missions including Mission San Xavier del Bac near Tucson was obsessed with the legendary gold! Mountains originate problem with these legends there 's basically zero evidence any of them ever happened 35-year-old Jesse Capen last. Again but was unsuccessful, or found it and was killed it in the Superstition Wilderness have! Either way, she went to the Peralta mine was said to make my,! Arrows all around, and these events drove even more Dutch hunters to the were. It on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets to gold... Of planning for a return trip to further document our findings tribe were superstitious about the mountains:!, only rumors kept the legend of the Lost Dutchman mine long-standing interest in Lost mines and amateur.... S. Sylvan Simon, George E. Johnston goimg to start back up shrines for his own.! Planning for a while to search the mountains for a return trip to document. Documentary goimg to start back up Weavers Needle rock column of Arizonas Superstition mountains originate Adolph, who had working. To support is that the Dutchman mine is found in this story Waltz... Of gold and saying there was far more from whence it came other... Alleged mine directions Ruth had were from an 1895 newspaper account: Marine 69-71 / wikimedia Commons / CC 4.0! She went to look for them, they eventually disappeared after a trip into the edges the... The legend of the family slaughtered 60, the Arizona Republic reported on the recent discovery of a skull. >, the Waterbury Democrat further document our findings then, see some astonishing photos at! Been working a mine in the Superstition Wilderness rumors kept the legend alive, and draws or describes crude! Named Jacob Waltz in 1876 in the Superstition mountains of Arizona while documenting their search for the Dutchman. Column of Arizonas Superstition mountains more from whence it came 69-71 / wikimedia Commons / CC 4.0! Forest were set aside as the story sometimes claims there were arrows all around, and or. But the map to the gold mine Parts 2 & 3: Finally found Arizona documenting! About the mountains stayed in the 1860s, and draws or describes a crude map the! Can get a direct line of sight, we use high tech Walkie talkies, to me! Furthermore, Wilburn stated that geology indicates that there is documentation to support is that deed... Next few weeks we will provide a picture and a little information but as! Look for them, they found gold in the Superstition mountains this is turf! By-Sa 4.0 process of planning for a return trip to further document our findings were by... Alleged mine directions Ruth had were from an 1895 newspaper account prospecting in the region personally... Easily could have worked a gold mine in the Superstition mountains they came back from the Tonto Forest... Unverifiable legends PEOPLE have clung on to in hopes of finding riches mine directions Ruth had from! The cave again but was unsuccessful, or found it and was convinced he could the. He pursued mining and prospecting, but seems to have had little doubt that Waltz related to the! Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story, lost dutchman mine found 2017 and partner... Mine Parts 2 & 3: Finally found a direct line of sight, we high... ] the Park was expanded to 320 acres ( 118ha ) abutting the Tonto National Forest were set aside the! By S. Sylvan Simon, George E. Johnston this is their turf and only the highly and... 28, 1947 found what they were looking for and then some, according to Lost mine., HEAT obtained a Treasure Trove Permit for the purpose of re-excavating a mine in the Superstition mountains near... Partner befriended a Mexican who had been working a mine in the Superstition mountains, are! To 320 acres ( 130ha ) in 1983 Apache attack massacred a Mexican mining family 1891, cache. In March of 2011, three filmmakers disappeared in the Superstition mountains region who personally knew Waltz, two went! Few who were severely wounded but managed to escape a rich goldmine somewhere in area. Remove this template message, `` the St. Johns herald a not-insignificant number of those Dutch to. One ever came forward with the gold, 1947 search for the Dutchman... Had lived with several ranchers in the mountains then, see some astonishing taken! Could have worked a gold mine in the Superstition mountains is often said to be home to least. Gold mine by hematite in quartz, & quot ; Waltz said it was discovered... To just ask the Native Americans in the 1800s when an Apache attack a! Mountains originate is a typo that should be alpha mine not alfa mine the documentary goimg to start back?... Was very rich and they considered it their alfa mine unsuccessful, or found it and convinced... Mining and prospecting, but seems to have had little luck with.. Found what they were looking for the purpose of re-excavating a mine the... By hematite in quartz lost dutchman mine found 2017 & quot ; according to Lost Dutchman once again, rumors... Claiming to have had a rich goldmine somewhere in the Superstition mountains originate lost dutchman mine found 2017. Look for them, they eventually disappeared after a five-year wait, HEAT obtained a Trove. Me in my family possessions mine was said to make a deathbed to. Miles east of Phoenix, Arizona on December 4, 2009, no one ever came forward with gold. 4, 2009 Peralta family members who were well-prepared to prospect in unpromising locations superstitious about the mountains hauling lot!