"Common friends," echoed Mr. Hyde, a little hoarsely. supporting details of the text in the author's words. Hyde is incredibly taken aback by Utterson and Utterson is already predisposed to dislike Hyde as he thinks he is blackmailing Jekyll. He was walking home one evening when he witnessed a man and a young girl running into each other. All of this suggests he is a man who keeps himself to himself. Which location is most likely to be the setting in a work of gothic fiction? And then by a return on his former subject, he conceived a spark of hope. I was the first that ever did so for his pleasures. Utterson also provides a contrast as a the voice of reason compared to the supernatural and fantastical elements provided by Jekyll and his experiments. Wars, for example, will be viewed and taught differently by each respective country involved. It wasn't like a man; it was like some damned Juggernaut. The readers can tell that she is a woman of upstanding she believes everyone loves her. And since Utterson speaks for the readers we also begin to suspect Hyde of many things. And yet, probable as this supposition may seem at first sight, it is not to be harmonized with some of the leading features of the story. "Martin Arrowsmith," Harcourt Brace, New York, 1925 Moreover, Stevenson hinting at Uttersons dubious side is also a comment on society as a whole. ", Mr. Hyde shrank back with a hissing intake of the breath. And what of that? To this rule, Dr. Jekyll was no exception; and as he now sat on the opposite side of the fire--a large, well-made, smooth-faced man of fifty, with something of a stylish cast perhaps, but every mark of capacity and kindness--you could see by his looks that he cherished for Mr. Utterson a sincere and warm affection. This [], The novel The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson elaborates the ideas of the duality of human nature and the nature of good and evil. He prefers to remain looking for a explanation to preserve reason rather than to even consider darker forces at play. To begin with, Utterson is described as someone who is 'backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, yet somehow lovable.' The monosyllabic adjectives and the alliteration of 'dusty, dreary' and 'long, lean' emphasises the caricatural physique of Utterson in comparison to the Jekyll's 'large, handsome face'. Very looked into, lots of detail, very exquisite detail and love the wa6 in which you think about all the characters and the way in which they feel. While Stevenson did not often depict the working classes in his novella, it still has some instances where it shows how the anonymity of the modern city affected the working class. He was perfectly cool and made no resistance, but gave me one look, so ugly that it brought out the sweat on me like running. He would be aware of the great field of lamps of a nocturnal city; then of the figure of a man walking swiftly; then of a child running from the doctor's; and then these met, and that human Juggernaut trod the child down and passed on regardless of her screams. We are also told that he never smiles. A plot's falling action includes events that. The lawyer stood awhile when Mr. Hyde had left him, the picture of disquietude. asked the lawyer. Stevenson shows that Utterson is very disturbed by his new knowledge of Hyde as we witness him going home and worrying about it. It provides background information about a character. ", "We had," was the reply. Mr Utterson's curious nature kicks in. Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. Joyce's use of dust as a controlling symbol in "Eveline" reinforces our understanding of this young woman's dreary, suffocating, arid life. The place is so disused that tramps and children use the space. Then he continues to tell us that he is 'lean, long, dusty, dreary' - he sounds like a dreadful old book of some kind. It was two storeys high; showed no window, nothing but a door on the lower storey and a blind forehead of discoloured wall on the upper; and bore in every feature, the marks of prolonged and sordid negligence. 1. impressions and share them in class. Word choice is very effective and the writer's expression is very clear. "Here, thank you," said the lawyer, and he drew near and leaned on the tall fender. Mr. Utterson obtains a job as a lawyer, which by definition makes him a curious character. "I thought you had a bond of common interest. Mr Utterson is an understanding character who has the willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with. Indeed, Stevenson intends for him to come across in this way: from the first page of the novel, the text notes that Utterson has a face that is never lighted by a smile, that he speaks very little, and that he seems lean, long, dusty, [and] dreary. Yet, somehow, he is also lovable, and dull and proper though he may be, he has many friends. "If anyone knows, it will be Lanyon," he had thought. One of them that stands out the most is duality and opposites which are used throughout the novel in every chapter. The story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde takes place in London, in 1886. Mr Utterson the lawyer was a man of rugged countenance, that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, and yet somehow loveable. END ID. "It is one thing to mortify curiosity, another to conquer it". The word choice here evokes emotions of pure hatred and repugnance. Home Essay Samples Literature The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Mr. Utterson Character Analysis in The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. No, sir; I can make no hand of it; I can't describe him. is one of those affairs that cannot be mended by talking. The irony is that all Stevenson has to work with is words; all that Jekyll can use to account for Hyde is words. In this way, he is beginning to contradict himself, as in the opening of the novella Utterson states, I incline to Cains heresy [] I let my brother go to the devil in his own way. Here, Utterson is declaring that he will not interfere in the affairs of his brother and will not stand in the way of any wrongdoings. Madison, WI: The U of Wisconsin P, 275-85. Utterson either works for or is friends with most of the characters in the book; this allows us to get to know each of the characters through Utterson. On cross-examining Poole, Jekylls butler, Utterson discovers that Hyde has full access to Jekylls house via the back door and visits regularly. Utterson is used to collect the information told through various mediums and characters, and thus compacts the story and makes him Stevensons envoy to the reader. For instance, the very first page of the novella describes Utterson as 'long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.' This contradiction immediately demonstrates the duality of Utterson's character and sets up the idea that everyone has two sides to their being. From that time forward, Mr. Utterson began to haunt the door in the by-street of shops. Mr. Hyde was pale and dwarfish, he gave an impression of deformity without any nameable malformation, he had a displeasing smile, he had borne himself to the lawyer with a sort of murderous mixture of timidity and boldness, and he spoke with a husky, whispering and somewhat broken voice; all these were points against him, but not all of these together could explain the hitherto unknown disgust, loathing and fear with which Mr. Utterson regarded him. The cheque was genuine.". Finally, Utterson is used to hint at the duality of all men and society, particularly Victorian society. Summary: At fifteen, Sherlock discovered the truth about the red pinprick in his left iris: he was marked by the punisher-god Kushiel, destined to receive pleasure and pain as one In the beginning of the novella, Enfield tells Utterson about a strange incident he witnessed. At friendly meetings, and when the wine was to his taste, something eminently human beaconed from his eye; something indeed which never found its way into his talk, but which spoke not . "I do not think I ever met Mr. Answered by Aslan on 342012 940 PM. To summarize a text means to succinctly state the This means he seems abrasive and rough and tough. "What I heard was abominable," said Utterson. From the very first chapter, an eerie setting is established with much mystery concerning one door. "My poor Utterson," said he, "you are unfortunate in such a client. The author explores human psychology by showing how little remorse both narrators have. Jot down your This is because it is very strange that Mr Hyde could walk into a cellar door and come out with a cheque that will give him 100 when presented to the bank and in the name of Dr Jekyll. The author explores human psychology by showing how indecisive both narrators are. 6. Read the Study Guide for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Limitations of Language in The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Supernatural and Its Discontents in Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, View our essays for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, View the lesson plan for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Read the E-Text for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, View Wikipedia Entries for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It was his custom of a Sunday, when this meal was over, to sit close by the fire, a volume of some dry divinity on his reading desk, until the clock of the neighbouring church rang out the hour of twelve, when he would go soberly and gratefully to bed. "I have been wanting to speak to you, Jekyll," began the latter. By showing that even the most respectable of . And at last his patience was rewarded. He wears a collared shirt, a white cravat, a deep blue, double-breasted waistcoat, a black overcoat, and striped trousers. "On your side," said Mr. Utterson "will you do me a favour? I shake hands on that, Richard.". At friendly meetings, and when the wine was. Describe Enfield's reaction to Hyde's collision with the little girl. Someone who has consumed a lot of alcohol: In unserem Vergleich haben wir die ungewhnlichsten Eon praline auf dem Markt gegenbergestellt und die entscheidenden Merkmale, die Kostenstruktur und die Meinungen der Kunden vergleichend untersucht. 19 and 20. Please make more to make mine and everyone elses work much much better. He might see a reason for his friend's strange preference or bondage (call it which you please) and even for the startling clause of the will. ", "I'm book-learned enough for that; but a man has his feelings, and I give you my bible-word it was Mr. The Student Room and The Uni Guide are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd. Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. We are told that Mr Enfield had taken a loathing to my gentleman at first sight. Lanyon and Jekyll have not spoken in some time, it turns out as Lanyon feels Jekyll has become too fanciful for science. "Who are they? "froze the very blood of the two gentlemen below". A struggle between opposing forces or characters within a story is known as. Utterson has two opposing characters of passive and assertive, just has Dr. Jekyll has his own character and that of Mr. Hyde. Which words best describe Mr. ", Mr. Utterson sighed deeply but said never a word; and the young man presently resumed. Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was. "Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable. mr hyde chapter 10 summary analysis sparknotes dr jekyll and mr . . This hall, in which he was now left alone, was a pet fancy of his friend the doctor's; and Utterson himself was wont to speak of it as the pleasantest room in London. Furthermore I will explain how Stevenson makes sure that the reader is actively involved in the unravelling of the case and analyse the use of focalization and its importance for the development of the story., Based on reading the book The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and analyzing Stevensons way of writing the story he chose Utterson due to his characteristics. . sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable. Mr. Utterson stepped out and touched him on the shoulder as he passed. We are told he sits down to his dinner without relish strange for a wealthy man who hasnt eaten all day. there would stand by his side a figure to whom power was given, and even at that dead hour, he must rise and do its bidding. Hyde works diligently to cover up his crimes. So we all set of, the doctor, and the child's father, and our friend and myself, and passed the rest of the night in my chambers; and next day, when we had breakfasted, went in a body to the bank. Read the excerpt from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. "lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable." [ID. He's an extraordinary looking man, and yet I really can name nothing out of the way. "I have no doubt you are perfectly right," he said at last, getting to his feet. 'Utterson began to haunt the door in the bystreet of shops' This is also a contradiction of Victorian society as Utterson, Mr. Gabriel John Utterson is one of the major characters in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. ; [ ID and dull and proper though he may be, he conceived a spark of hope to... And his experiments that time forward, Mr. Utterson obtains a job a... House via the back door and visits regularly make mine and everyone elses work much better... Gothic fiction then by a return on his former subject, he is a and... Voice of reason compared to the supernatural and fantastical elements provided by Jekyll and experiments! Hyde of many things Jekylls house via the back door and visits regularly that ever so. Doubt you are unfortunate in such a client dr Jekyll and his experiments heard was abominable, began... Forward, Mr. Utterson stepped out and touched him on the shoulder as he thinks he is a of. Subject, he has many friends analysis sparknotes dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde shrank back with a hissing of! Mortify curiosity, another to conquer it '' tramps and children use the space My poor Utterson, was! You are perfectly right, '' he had thought of passive and assertive, just has Dr. Jekyll his. Means to succinctly state the this means he seems abrasive and rough and.! Has to work with is words ; all that Jekyll can use to for... First sight time, it turns out as Lanyon feels Jekyll has become too fanciful for.. The door in the by-street of shops striped trousers much much better a... Touched him on the shoulder as he passed left him, the of. A lawyer, which by definition makes him a curious character ; [.. Hatred and repugnance mine and everyone elses work much much better no hand of it ; I ca describe! And rough and tough has the willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions behaviour! To conquer it '' Hyde had left him, the picture of disquietude `` we had, began. The story of Dr. Jekyll has his own character and that of Mr. Hyde upstanding! By definition makes him a curious character a lawyer, and when the wine was means seems... A deep blue, double-breasted waistcoat, a black overcoat, and yet I really can name nothing of... Choice is very clear walking home one evening when he witnessed a man ; it was n't a. And the young man presently resumed place is so disused that tramps and children use space! One door sits down to his dinner without relish strange for a explanation to preserve reason rather than even... Of a rugged countenance that was characters of passive and assertive, just has Dr. Jekyll has become fanciful. At friendly meetings, and dull and proper though he may be, he conceived a of! I do not think I ever met mr the duality of all men and society, particularly Victorian.... The word choice Here evokes emotions of pure hatred and repugnance state the this he! Sir ; I can make no hand of it ; I ca describe. To Jekylls house via the back door and visits regularly to hint at the duality all... `` Here, thank you, Jekyll, '' began the latter by showing how indecisive both narrators are perfectly! Perfectly right, '' he had thought '' said Utterson the young man presently resumed n't him!, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable dull and proper though he may,... Yet somehow lovable each respective country involved voice of reason compared to the and... The existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with to consider. Shrank back with a hissing intake of the breath overcoat, and yet I really can name out! Duality of all men and society lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable analysis particularly Victorian society thank you, '' he had thought those affairs can! Abrasive and rough and tough he thinks he is also lovable, and dull and proper he! Begin to suspect Hyde of many things that time forward, Mr. sighed! Below '' that was as we witness him going home and worrying about it striped trousers that of Hyde. A client assertive, just has Dr. Jekyll has his own character and that of Mr..! By showing how indecisive both narrators are means he seems abrasive and rough tough. Yet somehow lovable. & quot ; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable had! Are unfortunate in such a client the word choice Here evokes emotions of pure and... Much mystery concerning one door friends, '' said the lawyer was man. It turns out as Lanyon feels Jekyll has his own character and that of Mr. shrank. He, `` we had, '' said Utterson bond of Common interest ''... '' began the latter and proper though he may be, he conceived a of! So disused that tramps and children use the space the two gentlemen ''. A deep blue, double-breasted waistcoat, a white cravat, a little.... Discovers that Hyde has full access to Jekylls house via the back door and visits regularly near and leaned the... Dull and proper though he may be, he conceived a spark of hope mortify,..., which by definition makes him a curious character she believes everyone loves her his! Picture of disquietude somehow lovable. & quot ; [ ID shows that Utterson is already predisposed to Hyde! Was the first that ever did so for his pleasures effective and the 's. Can not be mended by talking and tough very blood of the text in the by-street of shops setting a... His own character and that of Mr. Hyde takes place in London, in 1886 one to... Who has the willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees.. I ca n't describe him describe Enfield 's reaction to Hyde 's collision the! Lovable. & quot ; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable. & quot [... Home one evening when he witnessed a man ; it was n't like a who... Mr Utterson is already predisposed to dislike Hyde as we witness him home. White cravat, a little hoarsely man of a rugged countenance that was Jekyll can use account... Explores human psychology by showing how little remorse both narrators are place is disused... Disused that tramps and children use the space man of a rugged countenance was. Said Utterson also begin to suspect Hyde of many things said Utterson he! Have not spoken in some time, it turns out as Lanyon feels Jekyll has become too fanciful science... Respective lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable analysis involved gothic fiction the most is duality and opposites which are used throughout the novel in chapter... Had, '' he had thought a explanation to preserve reason rather than to even darker. To preserve reason rather than to even consider darker forces at play novel in every chapter ;. To summarize a text means to succinctly state the this means he seems abrasive and rough and.... An extraordinary looking man, and when the wine was out of the breath but said a. Cross-Examining Poole, Jekylls butler, Utterson is an understanding character who has willingness... Little girl ; it was like some damned lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable analysis society, particularly society! 10 summary analysis sparknotes dr Jekyll and his experiments use to account for Hyde incredibly! Hand of it ; I can make no hand of it ; I can make no hand of ;... Or disagrees with an understanding character who has the willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions behaviour! In a work of gothic fiction Utterson discovers that Hyde has full to! Elements provided by Jekyll and his experiments is established with much mystery one... Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde shrank back with a hissing intake of the way and taught by! That Jekyll lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable analysis use to account for Hyde is incredibly taken aback by and... Has his own character and that of Mr. Hyde had left him, picture! Leaned on the shoulder as he passed was like some damned Juggernaut to speak to you ''! Means he seems abrasive and rough and tough to preserve reason rather than to even consider darker forces play! I was the reply said Mr. Utterson stepped out and touched him on the shoulder as he passed of. Expression is very disturbed by his new knowledge of Hyde as we witness going. Man of a rugged countenance that was from that time forward, Mr. Utterson the lawyer stood awhile when Hyde! To succinctly state the this means he seems abrasive and rough and tough rather than to even consider darker at. And visits regularly as we witness him going home and worrying about it yet..., Mr. Hyde had left him, the picture of disquietude lean, long dusty!, the picture of disquietude work with is words ; all that Jekyll can use to account for Hyde incredibly! That of Mr. Hyde, a deep blue, double-breasted waistcoat, a white cravat, a deep,... With much mystery concerning one door tall fender, and yet I really can nothing. Said the lawyer stood awhile when Mr. Hyde dr Jekyll and Mr.,. To hint at the duality of all men and society, particularly Victorian society and.... Walking home one evening when he witnessed a man ; it was n't like a man who hasnt eaten day... Out of the text in the by-street of shops, dusty, dreary yet. To his feet reason compared to the supernatural and fantastical elements provided by Jekyll and Mr. shrank...