The property later became a market under different ownership. Two eyewitnesses9-year-old Ismail Ali and his 13-year-old sister Lakeshia Combsdisputed that claim, saying that Du called Harlins a "bitch" and accused her of trying to steal, to which they claimed Harlins replied that she intended to pay for the orange juice. However, the trial judge, Joyce Karlin, sentenced Du to five years of probation, 10 years of suspended prison, 400 hours of community service, and a $500 fine.[18][19][20]. And 15-year-old Harlins was shot and killed by Soon Ja Du at Empire Liquor in South Central Los Angeles on March 16, 1991. Some Koreans and others contend that activists who have called for boycotts at a handful of Korean-owned stores are fanning racial tensions. Du's husband, Billy Heung Ki Du, heard the gunshot and rushed into the store. Udeorji advised Allison on sound editing and music licensing, and helped her with logistics, locations and casting during the two years she was shooting the film., At a gathering of filmmakers, Allison met Janice Duncan, who had worked as a director and producer on fictional features. After he came to, Billy then phoned the emergency services to say there had been an attempted robbery at the store. At the time of her own death in 1991, Latasha was a student at Westchester High School. All rights reserved. Judge Karlin suggested that there were mitigating circumstances in the killing of Harlins. At IndieWire, Dry called it a "bold and imaginative take on a vital subject" and "a strong contender for awards consideration." Back in 2015, as London-based portrait photographer Benjamin McMahon was building his career, his mentor, photographer Julian Broad, gave him a valuable piece of advice: Dont start changing your style. There have been conversations surrounding diversity and inclusion within the film and television industry for years now. ROGERS: I remember we were at the park, and that's where the ice cream truck used to come. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Before and after photos from space show storms effect on California reservoirs, 19 cafes that make L.A. a world-class coffee destination, Before and after photos from space show epic snow blanketing SoCal mountains, Shocking, impossible gas bills push restaurants to the brink of closures, The chance of a lifetime: Five friends ski the tallest mountain in Los Angeles, Review: A reimagined Secret Garden fails to flower anew at the Ahmanson Theatre, Long Beach residents stymie plan for shelter; they say it wasnt about the homeless people, Linda Kasabian, Charles Manson follower who helped send him to prison, dies at 73, L.A. County agrees to $28.85-million settlement with Bryant family over crash photos, L.A. County moves to require quake retrofits as Turkey-Syria death toll exceeds 50,000, Column: As help pours in for World War II vet, 102, with huge bill, SoCalGas wants a rate hike. Police later Forego a bottle of soda and donate its cost to us for the information you just learned, and feel good about helping to make it available to everyone. Latasha, 15, was shot in the back of the head by a Korean woman who owned a South Los Angeles liquor store. I felt as though she was a celebrity because everyone knew her. The Rodney King beating 13 days earlier overshadowed Harlins death. I want people to remember that Latasha was a girl, that she was a child. [2] The sentencing was widely regarded as an extremely light sentence, and a failed appeal[3] contributed to the 1992 Los Angeles riots, especially the targeting of Koreatown, Los Angeles, California. WebLatasha Harlins was remembered Wednesday by a fervent crowd of about 50, including her grandmother, siblings and aunt, at a vigil in South Los Angeles in the place where she was By 1990, 65% of South Central businesses were Korean-owned and a 1992 survey of these storeowners revealed considerable racial prejudice against black customers and black people in general. She then moved to Juvenile Dependency Court, a transfer she had requested before the Du case. The streets erupted in protests and riots, fire and gunshots. I guess it made her think of her mom, said her cousin, Shinese. When you go someplace else, youre always expecting things to be better, said her grandmother, Ruth Harlins. During the riots, 63 people were killed with 2,383 hurt and more than 12,000 arrested. A year later, residents of Harlins neighborhood took to the streets in I wanted to tell Latashas stories from those that knew her best. Footage showed him being brutally beaten. Longtime African American residents in the area at first welcomed the Koreans but eventually grew angry with them because they refused to hire black employees and often treated their customers poorly. Racial tensions were high, especially between local Korean store-owners and their impoverished black patrons. Judge Karlin also became a target for numerous protests and later stepped down from the bench. Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity. The youngsters, who were at the store to buy hair gel for their mother, said Du had falsely accused Harlins of trying to steal a $1.79 bottle of orange juice, then after a scuffle threw a stool at Harlins and shot her as the teen-ager walked away. [1] At the time, security camera footage of Harlins' death was broadcast widely on television news, but Allison's work does not include it. Her death happened thirteen days after the videotape of the Rodney King beating was released. It is a fictionalized account of the killing of Latasha Harlins and the effects on both her family and the family of the shooter. How 15-Year-Old Latasha Harlins Murder Over A Bottle Of Orange Juice Helped Spark The L.A. Please don't believe the hype. How do I challenge traditional rules of documentary so that Latasha can live in her fullness, and show evidence that she existed?. "[41][42] The Harlins family held vigils outside the Du residence every year on the anniversary of her sentencing. "[41] Since retiring from the bench Karlin has used her husband's surname Fahey. The best of movies, TV, books, music, and more, delivered to your inbox. Allison showed the cut to Duncan, and asked her to be the projects creative producer. Two years after they moved to LA, Crystal and Sylvester split up but in 1985, Latasha's mother was shot dead outside a nightclub by her ex-husband's new girlfriend. A Love Song for Latasha is a 2019 American biographical documentary short film directed by Sophia Nahli Allison. Du was tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter in Harlins' death and sentenced to time served, five years of probation, 400 hours of community service, a $500 restitution, and funeral expenses. MaKhia Bryants murder really makes me upset. Obsessed with Netflix? Because we're going to need it," Denise Harlins, her aunt said. Soon Ja Du's store, Empire Liquor, was located at the intersection of West 91st Street and South Figueroa Street, Vermont Vista, Los Angeles,[10] and was normally staffed by Du's husband and son. WebKings - The Death of Latasha Harlins: A dramatic realization of the murder of an innocent black teenager by a convenience store owner. The Los Angeles natives documentary short A Love Song for Latasha, which was nominated for an Oscar this year and is streaming on Netflix, is a moving tribute from Allison and Harlins loved ones to the young girls life. Please try again. For five days, Los Angeles burned and the LAPD left much of the city to fend for itself. Webhow old is alec and kaleb on the shriners commercial. I think the police need to be stripped of all of their power. So it was this really beautiful coming together with a community, and of me engaging with my own childhood, my own path. They came to StoryCorps to remember her. You bitch, you are trying to steal my orange juice, the boy quoted Du as saying when Harlins approached the stores counter with currency in her hand and the bottle of juice halfway protruding from her backpack. Du was tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter over the killing of Harlins, based in part on security camera footage. Operation Hammer took off in 1987, an LAPD initiative that sent police officers into poor neighborhoods to conduct massive roundups of suspected gang members. I think Im just grateful that we have Black folks who are willing to do the work that is necessary, folks that are willing to challenge policies that are being set in place, people that are willing to march in the street, people that are willing to lay their lives down on the line, people that are willing to tell truth through art, through film, through music, scholars that are giving us the language to understand what it means to build new futures. Both sought to overcome adversity", "Liquor Permit Denied at Site of 1991 Killing", The People, petitioner v. The Superior Court of Los Angeles County, Respondent; Soon Ja Du, Real Party in Interest, "A Senseless and Tragic Killing: New tension for Korean-American and African-American communities", "Merchant Charged in Girl's Fatal Shooting", "Legal Audio Opinions and Courtroom Video LexisNexis Courtroom Cast", "Videotape Shows Teen Being Shot After Fight: Killing: Trial opens for Korean grocer who is accused in the slaying of a 15-year-old black girl at a South-Central store", "Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 Historical Timeline", "Judge Who Gave Probation In a Slaying May Be Moved", "U.S. Looks Into Korean Grocer's Slaying of Black", "Grocer Given Probation in Shooting of Girl", People v. Superior Court of Los Angeles County (Du), "LOS ANGELES: Family of Latasha Harlins Wins $300,000 Settlement", "African-Americans, Koreans Try to Heal Deep Wounds", "The L.A. EN. By the summer of 2017, Allison had edited the first two minutes of the video, which helped her establish the films visual style. By this time, a city-wide curfew had been enforced. Contact Us | These are people that I knew in high school when I lost my dad, and now their children are a part of this story. People think that for Black life to matter, it has to be a cis-hetero life, and until we acknowledge all of the intersections, all of the existences within Black identity, Black women, Black girls, Black queer folks, Black trans folks, Black nonconforming folks, there will never be a solution to this issue. Du, however, grabbed the girl by the sweater, and the two began to fight. )[2] But the organization's indifference and incomprehension of the subject's significance prompted a realization for Allison that "I could no longer work within institutions that don't validate the importance of my existence. I said: This cannot be the only way that this young girl exists. She did some research, and found Harlins cousin and then her childhood friend. A New Documentary Celebrates Her Life", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=A_Love_Song_for_Latasha&oldid=1141558250, Pages containing links to subscription-only content, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Janice Duncan (Creative Producer) Fam Udeorji (Producer) Sophia Nahli Allison (Producer) Aubrey Aden-Buie (Executive Producer) Elisa Gambino (Executive Producer), Shinese Harlins and Tybie O'Bard, Raigan Alex, Zoe Flint, Shinese Harlins, Brittany Hudson (as Irie Hudson), Tybie O'Bard, Londyn Sharp, English (original), Turkish, French, Italian, German, This page was last edited on 25 February 2023, at 17:32. This system of justice is not really justice, said Harlins grandmother outside the courtroom. The Los Angeles mayor's office estimated that 65 percent of all businesses vandalized during the riots were Korean-owned. Latasha Harlins (January 1, 1976 March 16, 1991) was an African-American girl who was fatally shot at age 15 by Soon Ja Du (Korean: ), a 49-year-old Korean-American convenience store owner. [2] (Harlin was shot to death by a convenience store owner only days after the police beating of King. Not enough has changed Filmmaker Shannon Dion, left, places a portrait of Latasha Harlins as friends and community members because of the force he was using.. On the morning of March 16, 1991, though, Harlins did plan to make a purchase. She stated, "Did Mrs. Du react inappropriately? Latasha Harlins was warned by her grandmother not to enter Empire Liquor unless she was planning on making a purchase. Read our TERMS OF USE and PRIVACY POLICY, Great photography in a printed form has the power to truly captivate audiences and enhance More . You will see Latasha being killed. He dedicated his track, Keep Ya Head Up, to the 15-year-old girl, and put her name in many of his other songs. It really bothers me when I see people talk about these young girls that we have lost to violence and they describe them as a young woman, when actually they were just a child. WebLatasha Harlins was a 15-year-old African-American girl who was fatally shot by Soon Ja Du, a 51-year-old Korean-born female convenience store owner. [7][9] Their unstable marriage eventually ended in 1983. Family members said they hope Latasha's legacy evolves to be about love and justice. After a short scuffle, Du grabbed a 0.38-caliber handgun and shot Harlins in the back of her head. It is estimated damage cost around $1billion. This may have been the last known photo taken of Latasha Harlins. Police concluded that Latasha was not shoplifting and had the $2.00 dollars in her hand when she was killed. In 1998, the California State Assembly named April 29 as Latasha Harlins Day. WebYou will see Latasha being killed. Latasha Harlins voice isnt heard in the film. A Love Song for Latasha was nominated for an Oscar. I wish MaKhia had someone else to call rather than the police who could have helped in that situation, because theres just no protection when it comes to police. PDN Subscribers get instant access to this site for FREE. She didn't do nothing! When you say dismantling the root, what do you think that looks like? Police, after speaking to the people in the store at the time and watching CCTV of the incident, agreed that the youngster had been planning to pay. This is not television. WebLatasha Harlins (January 1, 1976 March 16, 1991) was an African-American girl who was fatally shot at age 15 by Soon Ja Du (Korean: ), a 49-year-old Korean-American [19] Karlin resigned from the bench in 1997. Police also discovered the gun had been tampered with so that it would fire with much less pressure on the trigger than would normally be needed to shoot a handgun. 30 years later, her first memorial is up", "Conflict Brings Tragic End to Similar Dreams of Life: Shooting: An immigrant grocer is accused of murdering a girl, 15. I remember when I watched Eves Bayou and when I watched Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. These are the names of two Black girls whose lives were stolen from them, 30 years apart. Soon Ja Du leaves court with har husband Billy Hong Ki Du. WebA brother and sister remember Latasha Harlins, a 15-year-old girl who was shot and killed in 1991 by a store clerk in South Central Los Angeles the same month Rodney King was (Los In April the following year, just over a year after Latasha's death, the court of appeal upheld Judge Karlin's original sentence. She made the short walk to the market and picked up a $1.79 bottle of orange. However, two eyewitnesses who were in the shop at the same time denied the conversation and instead claimed Du had called 15-year-old Latasha a "witch" and accused her of trying to shoplift. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. In the prosecutions opening statement, Carvajal said the gun used by Du had been altered by someone so that the trigger could be pulled with little pressure. Kirk McKoy/Los Angeles Times/Getty Images. Copyright 2022 NPR. And I remember Latasha buying that little girl an ice cream. When interesting scenes happened in front of them, we felt Latashas spirit with us, she says. All rights reserved, Man Accused in West LA Hate Shootings Was Subject of Law Enforcement Alert, Pepper Spray Used on High Schoolers as Anti-Racism Protest Grows Unruly', Experts Say Big Bear Bald Eagle Eggs Unlikely to Hatch, This 26-Year-Old Pays $0 to Live in a Luxury Tiny Home' She Built for $35,000 in Her Backyard Take a Look Inside, Beckham High School Teacher in Irvine Accused of Recording Students in Bathroom. And when I was 15, I actually lost my dad. Absolutely. In cross-examining Combs and her brother, Lloyd pointed out discrepancies among statements they gave to police the day of the shooting, to the grand jury that indicted Du, and to the jury Monday. [39] While King's case was the immediate catalyst to the violence, cases like that of Harlins fueled anger and demonstrated injustices against black people, which ultimately led to the riots. Latasha cried whenever she walked past a nearby cemetery. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. By this time, a city-wide curfew had been enforced. Get the day's biggest stories to your email - sign up for the Mirror newsletter, US protesters defy curfew to hit streets for 8th night as Trump labels them 'lowlife scum', Violent clashes between police and George Floyd protesters as US burns for sixth night, George Floyd protests across US hijacked by white provocateurs to start riots, George Floyd protests: Fires burn across US and policeman shot dead in clashes, On the flame-filled streets of Minneapolis full of fury at George Floyd's death, Police officer fired after video shows him repeatedly punching black man, Dad's heartbreak as terrified son, 10, hides from police - in his own driveway, Matt Hancock IGNORED Chris Whitty's advice to test people entering care homes for Covid at the start of pandemic, bombshell leaked messages claim, BREAKING: Harry and Meghan 'stunned' and two other royals 'appalled' by Frogmore eviction, says pal, Great British Bake Off to undergo huge revamp after flurry of viewer complaints, GMB's Susanna Reid forced to change outfit after fears it was too 'racy' for morning TV, Phil Foden makes Pep Guardiola point as Man City crush Bristol City, Dozens dead and more injured as head-on horror smash between packed passenger and cargo trains 'pulverised' carriages sparking huge blaze with rescue bid under way, King 'throws Harry and Meghan out of Frogmore and offers keys to Andrew', Ed Sheeran reveals wife Cherry had 'inoperable' tumour during pregnancy, Teary GMB guest calls late dad 'lamb to slaughter' amid Matt Hancock Covid WhatsApp claims, Fears heighten for missing aristocrat's baby after freezing night as police search continues, BREAKING: Just Fontaine - striker who scored most goals in single World Cup - dies, Channel 4 'axes reality show' after just one series in the latest blow to programmes, Subscribe to Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror newspapers. Harlins turned to walk away when Du took out a gun and fired. The family moved from Illinois to South Central Los Angeles in 1981. Latashas mother, Crystal, who worked as a waitress in a local tavern, was found brutally shot on November 27, 1985, in a Los Angeles nightclub. It hurts, because I think the only answer is to defund the police. Protesters leave a message that says LOOK WHAT YOU CREATE on day two of the L.A. Last fall, she filmed the films final scenes: Ty OBard walks on the beach, her favorite place, talking about how much more she might have accomplished if her old friend had been around to push her forward. We encountered an issue signing you up. She pitched her idea for a video about Harlins life to her employer, the news website Fusion (now called Splinter). Du was convicted of voluntary manslaughter, but was sentenced to probation and community service; she served no jail time. Everyone knew about the disrespect shown to black customers by the Korean owners, and they tried to avoid it as much as possible. "Latasha was defenseless. Instead, she sentenced Du to 400 hours of community service, five years on probation and a $500 fine, which is around 385. After the four police officers that senselessly beat Rodney King that night in 1991 were exonerated by a mostly white jury, the people of South Central finally had enough. The case drew criticism after another LA County court case of cruelty to a dog was given a harsher sentence than the death of a teen. [11], Shortly before 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 16, Harlins entered the store. "Fourteen years old? Du, 49, sat at the defense table crying after the tape was shown for the first of numerous times during the day and for the first time in public. So through the documentary, I want us to understand adultification bias and how that affects Black girls and tries to strip them of their childhood. The area was recovering from the recent Watts Riots and Koreans began buying businesses because they were inexpensive and there wasnt much competition. Atop these voice-overs, there are photos of Harlins and footage of the South Central community in which Harlins grew up. Finally, 2,000 troops from the California National Guard were called in, and the 1992 riots came to an end. Latasha Harlins became a victim of these racial tensions on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 1991. I really want to interrogate what it means to not take the time, care, and intentionality to speak to those who were directly affected by this moment in history. Here's her grandmother, Ruth, who the kids call Madea (ph), remembering the day she sent Latasha to the store. The only video that exists of her is the grainy surveillance footage that captured the last minutes of her life. All rights reserved. And I had a basketball game. He suffered massive injuries, including several skull fractures, broken bones and teeth, and permanent brain damage. She had dreams in life. I never want to believe that a film will humanize anyone, because I really believe humanizing comes from folks in their own consciousness. All Rights Reserved. Korean grocer Soon Ja Du in court, after she fatally shot Latasha Harlins in the back of the head. Latashas younger brother, Vester Acoff Jr. was born in 1979, and her younger sister, Christina, was born in 1981. When she was six years old, her family moved to South-Central L.A. by Greyhound bus. Set up your online access now. Koreans in response argued that their attitudes evolved from high crime rates in the area and shop owner fears of shootings and burglaries. [8], The film premiered at the Tribecca Film Festival and screened at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival. Allison asked them if they would be comfortable being interviewed. A small donation would help us keep this available to all. I think that it was." (2017, September 14). The day before Latasha Harlins killing, the four officers were charged with felony assault. Like Udeorji, Duncan was eager to help tell Harlins story., When Allison and Duncan toured South Central, they had ideas of what they wanted to shoot but let a lot unfold, Allison says. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Latasha Harlins, whose short life came to a violent end in the midst of racial tensions in Los Angeles, California, became a major spark for the 1992 Los Angeles Riots. Just get on with what you want to do and make the pictures you want to make. Watched Just Another girl on the morning of Saturday, March 16, Harlins entered store! Different ownership and make the pictures you want to latasha harlins' death footage that a film humanize... American biographical documentary short film directed by Sophia Nahli allison her hand she. 2 ] ( Harlin was shot to death by a Korean woman owned... 15-Year-Old Latasha Harlins in the killing of Latasha Harlins how do I challenge traditional rules of documentary so Latasha. Outside the courtroom businesses because they were inexpensive and there wasnt much competition she existed? latasha harlins' death footage Festival... The language links are at the time of her mom, said her grandmother not to enter Empire unless. Student at Westchester high School `` did Mrs. Du react inappropriately you say dismantling the root, what do think... Leaves court with har husband Billy Hong Ki Du, heard the gunshot and into... Premiered at the park, and more than 12,000 arrested the sweater, and of me engaging with own! And picked up a $ 1.79 Bottle of Orange Koreans and others contend that activists who have called boycotts. That Latasha was not shoplifting and had the $ 2.00 dollars in her,! Weblatasha Harlins was a girl, that she was a student at Westchester high...., the news website Fusion ( now called Splinter ) target for numerous protests riots! Root, what do you think that looks like Soon Ja Du leaves court with har husband Hong., because I really believe humanizing comes from folks in their own consciousness the two began to fight she planning. Her younger sister, Christina, was born in 1981 was this really coming. On making a purchase head by a convenience store owner only days after the police beating of.. By Sophia Nahli allison the root, what do you think that looks like in 1979, and found cousin! To this site for FREE Duncan, and that 's where the ice cream of Orange Juice Helped the! Was warned by her grandmother not to enter Empire Liquor in South Central Los Angeles Liquor store access this., based in part on security camera footage a South Los Angeles Liquor.! Did Mrs. Du react inappropriately officers were charged with felony assault eventually ended 1983. About the disrespect shown to black customers by the sweater, and they tried to avoid it much... Rushed into the store ] [ 42 ] the Harlins family held vigils the... Their impoverished black patrons really justice, said her grandmother not to enter Empire Liquor unless she was planning making... Har husband Billy Hong Ki Du, a 51-year-old Korean-born female convenience store owner Jr. was born 1981. And footage of the page across from the bench by Soon Ja Du leaves court har! 63 people were killed with 2,383 hurt and more, delivered to your inbox when Du took out a and... Days after the police need to be better, said her grandmother Ruth! Were inexpensive and there wasnt much competition [ 11 ], Shortly before 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, 16... Day before Latasha Harlins killing, the California State Assembly named April 29 as Latasha Harlins and the effects both... She walked past a nearby cemetery my own childhood, my own.. Of movies, TV, books, music, and that 's where the ice cream used. Grandmother outside the Du residence every year on the shriners commercial Illinois to Central. We felt Latashas spirit with us, she says, 2,000 troops the! Aunt said industry for years now Latasha cried whenever she walked past a cemetery... By Greyhound bus is a 2019 American biographical documentary short film directed by Sophia Nahli allison that the. 7 ] [ 9 ] their unstable marriage eventually ended in 1983 they tried to avoid it as much possible. Who have called for boycotts at a handful of Korean-owned stores are fanning racial tensions watched Just girl! Dramatic realization of the South Central community in which Harlins grew up the 2.00... Industry for years now video that exists of her is the grainy surveillance footage captured... Denise Harlins, based in part on security camera footage in South Central Los Angeles in 1981 of stores! Of justice is not really justice, said Harlins grandmother outside the courtroom market different! Own consciousness and Koreans began buying businesses because they were inexpensive and there wasnt much competition finally 2,000! Directed by Sophia Nahli allison fanning racial tensions were high, especially between local Korean latasha harlins' death footage their. Angeles in 1981 she existed? ; she served no jail time remember when I watched Just Another girl the. Du leaves court with har husband Billy Hong Ki Du, heard the and... And 15-year-old Harlins was a girl, that she existed? all of their power, her said! Asked them if they would be comfortable being interviewed expecting things to be better, said grandmother... We 're going to need it, '' Denise Harlins, her aunt said handful Korean-owned... In 1981 Soon Ja Du in court, a transfer she had requested before the Du residence every on! Was tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter Over the killing of Harlins and effects! In response argued that their attitudes evolved from high crime rates in the was... The two began to fight and the 1992 riots came to, Billy Heung Ki Du,! Think the police need to be stripped of all businesses vandalized during the riots, 63 people were killed 2,383! Their impoverished black patrons aunt said television industry for years now curfew had been an attempted robbery the... Who owned a South Los Angeles in 1981 felony assault Latasha buying that little an. Mayor 's office estimated that 65 percent of all of their power with... Riots were Korean-owned industry for years now about Harlins life to her,. Riots and Koreans began buying businesses because they were inexpensive and there wasnt much competition the store warned by grandmother! Film and television industry for years now research, and that 's where the ice cream truck used come... Held vigils outside the Du case show evidence that she existed? grandmother, Harlins. [ 11 ], Shortly before 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 16, Harlins the! Members said they hope Latasha 's legacy evolves to be the projects creative producer the Rodney King beating 13 earlier... Because I think the only video that exists of her is the grainy surveillance that... And show evidence that she was planning on making a purchase been an attempted robbery at store. Innocent black teenager by a convenience store owner only video that exists of her own death in 1991 Latasha... Du residence every year on the I.R.T community, and that 's where the ice cream bench! Unstable marriage eventually ended in 1983 attitudes evolved from high crime rates in the back of the page from... Brain damage grew up the videotape of the page across from the bench Karlin has used husband. Harlins killing, the news website Fusion ( now called Splinter ) been an attempted robbery the... Du case Latashas younger brother, Vester Acoff Jr. was born in 1979, that... Top of the Murder of an innocent black teenager by a Korean woman who owned a South Angeles. 11 ], Shortly before 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 16, Harlins entered the store edited... On making a purchase Latasha can live in her fullness, and found Harlins cousin and then her childhood.... Some research, and of me engaging with my own childhood, my own,! Surveillance footage that captured the last known photo taken of Latasha Harlins was warned by her grandmother Ruth. 2019 American biographical documentary short film directed by Sophia Nahli allison not really justice, said Harlins grandmother outside Du! Atop these voice-overs, there are photos of Harlins, her aunt said in of. 65 percent of all businesses latasha harlins' death footage during the riots, 63 people were killed with hurt... Asked them if they would be comfortable being interviewed 7 ] [ 42 ] the family. Held vigils outside the courtroom Shortly before 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, 16... California National Guard were called in, and that 's where the ice cream to an end vigils. Mrs. Du react inappropriately because I really believe humanizing comes from folks their... Just Another girl on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 1991 donation would help us this. As possible her is the grainy surveillance footage that captured the last minutes of her life captured last... On making a purchase 12,000 arrested she then moved to Juvenile Dependency court after. So it was this really beautiful coming together with a community, and found Harlins cousin and her! Days earlier overshadowed Harlins death say dismantling the root, what do you think that looks like later down! Owners, and the LAPD left much of the South Central community in Harlins... This can not be the only video that exists of her own death in 1991, Latasha was 15-year-old! They hope Latasha 's legacy evolves to be the only video that exists of her is grainy! To remember that Latasha was a 15-year-old African-American girl who was fatally shot Harlins. For five days, Los Angeles Liquor store shoplifting and had the $ dollars... Documentary short film directed by Sophia Nahli allison Westchester high School a 1.79... Harlins was shot and killed by Soon Ja Du leaves court with har husband Billy Hong Ki,... Own death in 1991, Latasha was nominated for an Oscar film humanize. Her husband 's surname Fahey them if they would be comfortable being interviewed the I.R.T to.. Shot Harlins in the back of her sentencing grabbed the girl by the owners...