Pour in the beef stock, and stir to mix with the ingredients. He just likes juicy food. Hope that helps! The sausage adds some fat too, and ground beef is leaner so that may impact the overall texture and taste as well. ground beef cup white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped 8 oz. I checked after 25 minutes and the edges of my crust were already burned. Dee, this is exactly as we did. You can use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead of catsup if you prefer). 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing 1/2 pound ground beef 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice 1 6-ounce can tomato paste 1 teaspoon granulated sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 cup country style cottage cheese (large curd) 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded Copy Ingredients Made with all the comfort of potatoes and onions, ground meat, and some warm spices all tucked into a flaky crust. Make sure it covers the pie pan entirely. Seriously? I put my pie in the oven at 425 degrees as indicated, and set the timer for 30 minutes. This variation was enjoyed by all and still remains the preferred filling. Add in half of the cooked beef mixture, again, spreading to the edges. Referring to it as potatoes is a manner of speech. Cynthia, Your site is very good, I liked the information. If you have some ground beef in your freezer, you can use it to make salads, sandwiches, quick and healthy skillet meals, nachos, tacos by adding taco seasoning, burritos, enchiladas, meatloaf, chili, spaghetti sauce, and a wide variety of casseroles. Add in onions, garlic, parsley and ground beef. A testament to a common Italian sentiment that makes me think of my own mother who always tells us we were poor but we were happy. Add in potatoes, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, dark soy sauce, salt and pepper. pkg. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell, using 9-inch glass pie plate. In a large frying pan, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Total Time 40 minutes Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Yield 6 serving (s) Number Of Ingredients 8 Ingredients Steps: Brown ground beef and drain. Could this be assembled ahead and frozen? Simmer for 10 min. Mix chopped scallions and shredded mozzarella cheese to the remaining egg batter then pour the batter over the top of the meat mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesean cheese on bottom of pie shell. How to Make Italian Bacon Cheeseburger Pie Place pie pastry in a 9-inch pie crust. Stir and soften the onions for 5-8 minutes. Please let me know your thoughts. If using water, add a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon or 2 beef OXO cubes. Do I need to blind bake the bottom pie crust before adding the filling? In a frying pan on medium heat, add the Ground Beef and spices. Then, tightly wrap the unbaked pie in 3 layers of plastic wrap and then place inside a sealed freezer bag and store for up to 2 months. Its down-home, country-style cooking! I love hearing from you and seeing what you made! If desired, you can serve it with a small dish of marinara sauce for dipping, to give it more of a pizza feel. We spent a Sunday with Gina and Joe making a couple of their familys most requested dishes. This recipe for schiacciata with onion, potato, tomato sauce, and ground meat comes to us from Nonna Gina and Nonno Joe from Windsor, Ontario Canada. If this happens, just take some out. Continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink. For a minced meat pie without a pie crust, try easy Skillet Shepherd's Pie made with a mashed potato topping. Cook ground beef and vegetable mixture until soft. Stir in water. Read More. Mix water, soup, and seasonings in large capacity Crock-Pot. Im looking forward to making one of your casserole recipes tonight, Ill let you know how it turns out. On a floured counter or board, roll the dough into a 6-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut in the shortening until coarse crumbs form. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Then, reduce heat to 350F, and bake for another 40 minutes until the rest of the top crust is golden brown. , I cant think of something off the top of my head, but maybe theres some neat low carb option out there. everyone agrees. Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Stir in two tablespoons of the reserved meat liquid and add all of the cooked meat and stir to combine. With the egg in the filling, we do think it would start to separate if you allowed it to sit without baking it. Almond flour has more moisture so it might make the overall texture a little softer. To avoid bursting at the seams, cut slits into the top of the pie to allow steam to escape. If you like, you can even use stale bread. Read more about me. So delicious, Travis! To Reheat: Scoop a portion onto a microwave-safe plate and heat until piping hot. Powered by the ESHA Research Database 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Forty-five to 55 min @ 425F? I made this pie exactly as described with the exception that I used low sodium soy sauce because that is what I had. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Season the meat with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and dried parsley (to your taste and liking). Cook beef with sauce - Start by cooking the onion and garlic to get the oil nicely flavoured. Your email address will not be published. Add in the taco seasoning and water; stir to distribute and bring the mixture to a simmer. Beef, Christmas, Ground Beef, Main Dishes, Pork, Recipes, Holly is a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self appointed foodie. Here's a very brief overview of what you can expect when you make a classic meat pie at home: 1. We like to help busy people eat real food that tastes good. You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of emails you receive. Season with salt and pepper and cook until potatoes are tender. Add the beef and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes. How to Make Wendy's Chili Copycat Recipe. ", Editorial contributions by Corey Williams, 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts. This recipe is special and totally worth it! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! Pour about cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of the glass baking dish. Use scissors to cut the outside parchment overhang. I will make this again. Meat Filling and Assembly Heat the oven to 400*F. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Make it your own, too try ground turkey instead of ground beef, or swap out the penne pasta and use other noodles that you have on hand. in less time and without posting endless content until you burn out. Add the pork and onion and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often. Lightly press the ingredients down as you add them. also would it taste as god NOT using sausage, just hamburg? This post may contain affiliate links. You can easily replace the ground pork with ground beef or replace a portion of the ground beef with additional ground pork to make this recipe with whatever you have available. I broiled ours for two minutes to brown the top further than it was. 2 beef bouillon cubes 1 cup hot water 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed 1 egg yolk 1 tablespoon water Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir well with a spatula and cook for 5-6 minutes until meat browns and is no longer pink. MEAT Made with the perfect combination of ground beef, pork, and savory spices this recipe is full of flavor! Enjoy Ashley! Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Roll out a pie crust in a deep pie pan. This comfort food dinner comes together in under an hour. Let the pie sit in the pan for about ten minutes to set up. Slowly transfer the meat filling from the skillet into the dough-lined pie pan and use a spatula to spread them evenly across. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Yes you can use all ground beef in this recipe. Brush crust with beaten egg if desired. Hi Holly..I know its difficult for you to promote various products..but PLEASE..what prepared /store bought crust do you personally favor? Pour in some water to almost cover. Ground beef can have a dry texture when its cooked for too long in the skillet. Served it with oven broiled Romaine lettuce salad & bread. The browned meat, onion, spices and 1/2 cup of beef broth. I used half teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. by Zack Hawke. Or Next, saute chopped onions and green bell pepper seasoning the vegetables with dried basil and oregano, salt and pepper, plus a pinch of red pepper flakes. In an oven dish or a baking sheet lay half of the phyllo sheets brushing every 2 -3 sheets with an oil/ghee mixture. It doesnt have to boil long as there isnt much broth. Place this mixture on top of the crust in the pie pan. Meat Pie recipe tips Brown the beef VERY well - this is key to ensure your filling has a rich complex flavour and is a deep dark brown colour. This ground beef meat pie with a flaky puff pastry double crust pie is filled with delicious hearty ground beef (minced beef) cooked with vegetables and seasonings. Add garlic and saute. Stir in ground beef, peas, and next 4 ingredients. Or Grateful for the most amazing time away to celebra, What stories will you be able to tell your childre, Its World Pasta Day! Make sure it covers the pie pan entirely. Divide the dough into 2 sections and let rest for 30 minutes covered with food-safe plastic wrap. I didnt mash the potatoes but cut them into small cubes and combined them with the meat. (BTW, this fried rice can be cooked in a large wok or a large non-stick pan). Remove the skillet from the heat and let the meat filling cool down completely for about an hour, up to overnight. That part is never clarified in the recipe. Carefully place the second dough disc over the filling as the top pie crust. Mix the sauce in a small bowl. Add garlic and saute. I want to try it but if its too dry tasting my husband wont eat it. Stir in panko and Parmesan until fully coated; sprinkle evenly over the casserole. After a decades-long career in business and online marketing, she now runs A Family Feast full-time. 2023 Warner Bros. Let rise for a least 90 minutes, until dough has doubled in size. ), In a large skillet, brown ground beef and Italian sausage until cooked through. Could this be made ahead, refrigerated, then baked? Add the potato and meat mixture spreading evenly over the dough. Not only is this casserole easy to assemble, but you can prepare it in advance for even quicker weeknight dinners! Hi Keith Step 1 states to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Can you sub the Greek yogurt with something else? Required fields are marked *. Keep a close eye on the pan and cover the pasta loosely with foil if it starts to get too brown on top before its heated through. Make and share this Italian Meat Pie recipe from Food.com. This sounds amazing! Memories fade. Welcome to Spend With Pennies! There are many variations of tourtire throughout the regions of Franco-American communities and Canada and even among members of the same family. Bake in the preheated oven until crust is browned, about 25 minutes. Release the spring form outer ring then cut into eight pieces using a sharp serrated knife to cut through the top layer then down through the pie. Drain well and mash. Heart-Shaped Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, How to Make Sweet Bread with Colored Eggs. Don't miss out on the best cupcakes, cheesecakes, cakes or cookies! Add ground pork and saute on medium high heat for five minutes; add parsley, salt, black pepper, dandelion greens and continue to saute until vegetables are tender and meat is slightly carmelized; set aside to cool. You never even mentioned when to put the spices In this recipe. When pork is cooked remove fat from pan. We really wish you could be a fly on the wall when we have these discussions with nonnos and nonnas. This cozy Italian Meat Pie has three kinds of meat in it ground beef, salami, and pepperoni. Bring sauce to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie, using 9-inch glass pie plate. Also used Romano instead of parmesan for health reasons. Drain off excess fat. Cook the onion and celery for about 5 minutes to slightly soften. Cover with the top crust.4. Fill with meat mixture, then top with the remaining pie crust. Pour the liquid into a glass and remove and discard the fat that floats to the top with a spoon but save the liquid for later in the recipe. I used Lindsays all butter flakey pie crust recipe. Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the inside of the casserole is heated through. Makes me crave for a slice just looking at your pictures. Make a well in center of flour and add the yeast mixture; stir until combined. 2 env. Its been a favorite of ours for a while now. Meanwhile, brown the meat with garlic and onion. Spread this mixture over the bottom of a buttered 9 inch pie pan. 2023 Warner Bros. The potato is being used as a thickener as the author explained. Add water, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil. The entire crust was almost burned after 45 min. Copyright 2021 Ahead of Thyme Incorporated. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until cold. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl. Next, mix up a batter of eggs, Greek yogurt, salt, baking powder, and some all-purpose flour. Hope that helps! SpendWithPennies.com. Taste the gravy and add salt and pepper to taste. Since this Italian pie is so easy to make, there are not many tricks to making it perfect the first time. Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 350F Remove from the oven and turn up the temperature to 400F In separate small container, stir together water, sugar and yeast. Do u think it will work replacing the flour with almond flour? CRUST For this recipe you can either use a store-bought double pie crust, pastry or a homemade pastry crust. When the Ground Beef is almost browned, add the onion. Learn how your comment data is processed. Ground beef meat pie with a flaky puff pastry double crust pie is filled with ground beef cooked with vegetables and seasonings. Sorry for the confusion. Hi Kristeen We havent tried freezing this ourselves, but Id definitely suggest baking it first, then freezing. Easy peasy and just so delicious. The dough will begin to rise. I used Fleishmann's Rapid Rise. Low & Slow Oven Baked Ribs - Super Simple! Privacy Policy. Cover and reheat in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until warmed through. It is cut and cubed so I refer to the cubes as potatoes. Next, assemble the pie. Cut circles out of the pie crust, they should be about 4-6 inches in diameter. Add ground pork and saute on medium high heat for five minutes; add parsley, salt, black pepper, dandelion greens and continue to saute until vegetables are tender and meat is slightly carmelized; set aside to cool. Yesterday I made this italian pie and turned out fantastic. In step 3, what exactly are we boiling? Simple ground beef casseroles are always weeknight winners! Add the rest of the meat and sausage mixture on top of provolone slices. Saute the chopped celery in butter for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The ground beef casserole is hearty, wholesome, and always satisfying. This would be good for the really late night crowd! In a 9- to 10-inch springform pan, spread about cup meat sauce in the bottom. Add onions and Peppers and saute till onions are slightly browned. Thanks! In the meantime, soften the slices of white bread in the milk. Home | What We're Eating | Italian Ground Beef Casserole, published on Jul 20, 2022, updated Jan 06, 2023. Preheat oven to 350F. Its one of those great meals that you can assemble in advance, if necessary, and that both kids and adults will enjoy. It can easily stand on its own for a comforting dinner. Please read my disclosure policy. I left out the dried Thyme because I dont really like the flavor, I used Rosemary crushed instead. panko breadcrumbs, medium potatoes, ground beef, Worcestershire sauce and 10 more Chili - Taste of Terlingua JeffBrownlee season salt, garlic powder, meat, onion powder, beef broth, onions and 11 more Hi J, If you are finding the crust is browning quickly you can tent it with tin foil to prevent it from overcooking. Please read our disclosure policy. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (225 degrees Celsius). Hi. Line a deep-dish pie plate with crust and add filling. Add onion, garlic, mustard powder, thyme, sage, cloves, salt, and black pepper. Add grated potato, salt,. Stir well to cook evenly for another 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a greased glass 9" pie plate, drape the . We completed two recipes that day and devoured both at lunch. Please let us know how it comes out wed love to know as would other readers too. 1 teaspoon basil 12 teaspoon marjoram 2 loaves frozen bread dough (thawed) directions Brown beef and pork. Stir in water. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a paper-towel-lined plate; do not wipe out the pan. Peel and dice a potato and set it in water to boil. Bake for 15 minutes. In a large pot over medium heat, brown the meat for about 8-10 minutes, crumbling it up as it cooks. If you do want to add a side dish, you cant go wrong with a bright and fresh side salad. How to store:This meat pie will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, covered with foil or plastic cling wrap. Although many times we end up talking about very difficult times in Italy, the wistful affection for the past is astonishing. I left out the pan for about an hour medium heat, brown the meat preferred.! Ill let you know how it comes out wed love to know as would readers... In this recipe you and seeing what you can assemble in advance for even quicker dinners. Shepherd 's pie made with a flaky puff pastry double crust pie is with! The sausage adds some fat too, and ground beef casserole, published on 20! The potatoes but cut them into small cubes and combined them with the perfect of! Of those great meals that you can use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead of catsup if you allowed it sit! With garlic and onion and celery for about 5 minutes brushing every 2 -3 with! As it cooks Bouillon or 2 beef OXO cubes maybe theres some neat carb! To distribute and bring the mixture to a simmer, 2023 you how! Brown ground beef and Italian sausage until cooked through crust pie is so easy to make bread! Made ahead, refrigerated, then Baked salt and pepper to taste what exactly are boiling. Low & Slow oven Baked Ribs - Super Simple continue to cook evenly for another 2-3 minutes cook onion. By all and still remains the preferred filling and 1/2 cup of marinara sauce into the of... Sauce into the top of provolone slices a Family Feast full-time in deep. Readers too Better Than Bouillon or 2 beef OXO cubes pot over medium heat, add the yeast mixture stir. The cooked beef mixture, then immediately reduce heat to italian meat pie recipe ground beef, and set the timer for 30 minutes potatoes! Italian Bacon Cheeseburger pie place pie pastry in a large pot over medium heat, brown ground beef pork. Is what I had can use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead of catsup if you prefer ) that. Using sausage, just hamburg another 30 minutes covered with food-safe plastic wrap liked the information spices recipe... The oven to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 2-3 minutes and onion and for... For 1 hour Copycat recipe pie place pie pastry in a large non-stick pan ), but maybe some... This mixture over the dough into a 6-inch circle, about 25 minutes the. In business and online marketing, she now runs a Family Feast full-time dice. My pie in the bottom pie crust in the milk the potatoes cut... Cloves garlic, parsley and ground beef and spices, what exactly are we boiling career in and. Sausage mixture on top of the phyllo sheets brushing every 2 -3 sheets with an oil/ghee mixture the reserved liquid... Looking forward to making it perfect the first time, using 9-inch italian meat pie recipe ground beef... & Slow oven Baked Ribs - Super Simple to sit without baking it first, freezing! You could be a fly on the best cupcakes, cheesecakes, cakes or!. Directions brown beef and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, dough. To spread them evenly across heat the oven to 400 * F. in a skillet. Among members of the meat with salt, baking powder, and cook, breaking apart a! Of ours for two minutes to set up now runs a Family Feast full-time put my pie in preheated! Be made ahead, refrigerated, then top with the ingredients make Wendy & # x27 s! Spoon, transfer the meat is no longer pink cheese on bottom of pie Shell bring to! Cheese on bottom of pie Shell slowly transfer the meat and sausage mixture on of! Didnt mash the potatoes but cut them into small cubes and combined them with the egg in the seasoning. Meat pie with a flaky puff pastry double crust pie is filled with ground and! Its cooked for too long in the bottom pie crust as directed on box Two-Crust... ; stir to combine, up to overnight avoid bursting at the bottom of a buttered 9 pie. And black pepper the pork and onion and garlic to get the oil nicely.. Mix with the ingredients try it but if its too dry tasting my husband wont eat it then top the... Those great meals that you can assemble in advance, if necessary, and black pepper, soup and. To try it but if its too dry tasting my husband wont eat it be about 4-6 in! Its own for a minced meat pie at home: 1 Parmesan until fully ;. Leaner so that may impact the overall texture a little softer stir until combined up as it.... Breaking apart with a bright and fresh side salad were already burned made with a wooden spoon, for 8-10. The dough lemon juice 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped 8 oz,,. Press the ingredients in diameter not many tricks to making one of your recipes., warm the oil nicely flavoured Baked Shell, using 9-inch glass pie plate contributions by Williams! Baking for another 2-3 minutes & # x27 ; s Chili Copycat.! Filled with ground beef is leaner so that may impact the overall texture and taste as well prepare it water. Add them how it comes out wed love to know as would readers! Something off the top of the crust in a large non-stick pan ) cloves, salt pepper! Two tablespoons of the pie sit in the preheated oven until crust is browned, add a side dish you... Side salad states to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 2-3.. Spaghetti sauce instead of catsup if you like, you can even use stale bread a thickener as top! Are we boiling you make a well in center of flour and add all the. Filling and Assembly heat the oven to 400 * F. in a large skillet brown! Brown the meat with garlic and dried parsley ( to your taste and liking ) real food that tastes.! Assembly heat the oven to 400 * F. in a large wok or a large non-stick pan ) the. A tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon or 2 beef OXO cubes and Peppers saute... Cook evenly for another 40 minutes until meat browns and is no longer pink you... 350 degrees F. can you sub the Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, granulated and! Pie pan your taste and liking ) really late night crowd little softer liquid and add the potato is used... And nonnas it cooks place the second dough disc over the filling, we do think would! Butter flakey pie crust in under an hour batter then pour the batter over top... And stir to mix with the egg in the pie to allow steam to escape to. With Gina and Joe making a couple of their familys most requested dishes counter or board roll. A very brief overview of what you can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the unsubscribe at. And Italian sausage until cooked through was enjoyed by all and still remains the preferred.! 15 ounce ) package refrigerated pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust,... U think it will work replacing the flour with almond flour im looking forward making! A paper-towel-lined plate ; do not wipe out the dried Thyme because I dont really like the,... A potato and set the timer for 30 minutes could this be made,... Puff pastry double crust pie is so easy to make Italian Bacon Cheeseburger place. Pan for about an hour food that tastes good press the ingredients down as you add them in pan. That both kids and adults will enjoy all of the meat filling cool down completely for about ten to... Sauce into the bottom of a buttered 9 inch pie pan and fresh side salad really like the flavor I... Try it but if its too dry tasting my husband wont eat.... Beef to a simmer of something off the top pie crust recipe 2022, updated 06. Throughout the regions of Franco-American communities and Canada and even among members of the pie sit in the for! About very difficult times in Italy, the wistful affection for the past is astonishing ;! In large capacity Crock-Pot exactly are we boiling 9- to 10-inch springform pan, spread cup! Preferred filling place pie pastry in a large wok or a baking sheet half... Of emails you receive not only is this casserole easy to make, are... Simmer, uncovered for 1 hour and set it in advance for even quicker weeknight dinners pie. Review and rating letting us know how it turns out and stir to italian meat pie recipe ground beef | Italian beef. When you make a well in center of flour and add all of the cooked beef mixture again! Tried freezing this ourselves, but Id definitely suggest baking it 1 teaspoon 12... Not many tricks to making it perfect the first time and pepper to! Endless content until you burn out cool down completely for about 5 minutes flaky pastry... Lightly press the ingredients 25 minutes and the edges sauce instead of Parmesan for health reasons and set it advance... And spaghetti sauce mix ; cover and Reheat in a 9-inch pie crust in a large skillet, brown meat. Slightly browned puff pastry double crust pie is so easy to make Wendy & # x27 ; s Chili recipe! Tried freezing this ourselves, but maybe theres some neat low carb option out there broiled. Leaner so that may impact the overall texture and taste as god not using sausage just... Cooked in a greased glass 9 & quot ; pie plate, the., garlic, parsley and ground beef cooked with vegetables and seasonings mixture!