Graves was very much under-appreciated for his work for that station! Calamity struck when KATU News reporter Dan Cassuto had a precarious chalkboard that would not stay up. And she never asked our parents what time they were coming back.. For me, it calls into question the independence and fairness of our local KATU reporting. Afterward, Dunn, who had earned degrees in math and biology from Middlebury College in Vermont, became interested in helping others with kidney cancer. [26], From the station's first day on air, KATU produced local newscasts. [35] McCall's commentaries continued appearing despite his battle with cancer leading up to his January 1983 death. Rolf Knapp, Well Guys Im just checking in here to update you on what is going on? | Portland Portrait Photographer. She was married to my grandfather for 50 years. KATU (TV), an American television station in Oregon. I could just eat her cheeks! All rights reserved (About Us). Deb has been such a wonderful client and friend. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. You guys are so blessed. She is BEAUTIFUL just like her Mommy! In 2016 Steve won the Emmy Award for the top News Anchor in the Northwest. 6 Comments on KATU's Deb Knapp and Baby Lila! 1 talking about this. He also married, divorced and in 1999 rekindled his relationship with Kristin Swihart, with whom he had a daughter, Shasta Rose, 5. LOL. She did the weathercasts and also some general reporting. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). Fire Steve Dunn and Deb Knapp instead of Brian Wood. It's Helen's dream job, interviewing celebrities and news-makers and having lots of laughs along the way. The station works under the ownership of Sinclair Broadcast Group and serves Portland/Salem, Oregon, and Vancouver, Washington. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. [19] KATU shut down its analog signal, over VHF channel 2, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. on Brian Wood Fired In Latest Cuts At KATU, TEGNA Sends Sinclair ND to Greener Pastures, Larry Nelson Steps Away From KOMO-AM Morning Show, Vanessa Misciagna Leaving KING 5 For Denver, Gay Trans New Morning News Producer at KNKX, Salem Reacquires KKOL, KING 5 Loses Craig Herrera & Brit Moorer, KREM Loses One To San Diego. One more thing: Get rid of their weather guy, Dave Salesky! Good Music Returns To KXA; Lan Roberts Cuts Back Schedule. [47] That year, the station attracted industry attention for suspending an entire day of newscasts so the station staff could take stress management training in light of increasing burnout in television news.[48]. [32] That same year, former Oregon governor Tom McCall joined KATU as commentator; prior to becoming governor, he had also worked at KGW. The company also requires these stations to air "Terrorism Alert" and "Bottom Line" segments skewing the stories toward anti-media, fear-inciting and far-right messaging. A memorial will be held in October in Boulder. Brian Wood, a KATU reporter in Portland, had started at KLAS Las Vegas in 1981, moving to KIRO, and then spent 19 years at WMAR, Baltimore, before joining KATU in 2008. [20], On April 10, 2013, KATU and Fisher Communications' other holdings were acquired by the Sinclair Broadcast Group. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. God did it. In my opinion, KATU is going to have a tough time to plug the holes they have made. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. Wednesday, March 2nd 2022 (KATU, File) PORTLAND, Ore. Last year, after vaccines rolled out but before the variants, there was a brief stint of normalcy. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. But someone needed to remain strong, confident that no one she loved had been abandoned. It was also her faithfulness. By: Caroline John - Published: January 20, 2023 at 6:18 am. Steve came to Portland from KGUN-TV in Tucson, Arizona. was unfair. What a great set of portraits , her eyes really pop out of the picture, really cute. Soon this station is going to tank! [9] The station's transmitter was originally located atop Livingston Mountain, about 7 miles (11km) north-northeast of Camas, Washington; this northerly site had been required to maintain minimum spacing to the unbuilt channel 3 at Salem. Recently, she announced that she would be leaving the station. Connect With Deb Knapp Debora Knapp joined KATU in March of 2002. Beautiful job, Julia. In 2003, the Food and Drug Administration appointed him a patient advocate for kidney cancer clinical trials. She not only meant it, but she did it. He won the same award in 2004, 2012 and 2014. The weather anchor has not stated where she is going and if she has a new job pipeline. Katu language, spoken by the Katu. | Portland Portrait Photographer. Lincoln Graves, the KATU reporter and anchor, will also be moving to a station owned by the same company that owns KATU, the Sinclair Broadcast Group. [8] The station originally was assigned the call letters KOXO, but in line with its "K-2" brand, the station adopted the KATU designation that month. Maybe he moved back home to Seattle? The headquarters of the Sinclair Broadcast Group is shown April 3, 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Brian Wood, a KATU reporter in Portland, had started at KLAS Las Vegas in 1981, moving to KIRO, and then spent 19 years at WMAR, Baltimore, before joining KATU in 2008. Your email address will not be published. Since the pandemic, Nikki Torres has covered the weather in Portland, Oregon, and formed a bond with the KATU ABC 2 community. Just wanted to drop off a couple of comments 1) KATU is kicking around their TV people, forcing them to work odd shifts, weekends and days theyre not used to, trying to get somebody to quit? She returned to Washington after two years to work as a reporter and producer at Spokanes KXLY. In the fall of Janita Badon's freshman year at the University of Utah, her father and grandfather both died in the space of two heartrending weeks. Im sure the money went to them.. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment or writing on my wall. Also Read: Tony McEwing Leaving KTTV: Is the Good Day LA Anchor Retiring? [24] However, in 2018, the FCC designated the deal for hearing by an administrative law judge;[25] the deal was then terminated by Tribune. Steve came to Portland from KGUN-TV in Tucson, Arizona. Various local cable service providers carry KATU 2 transmission in the area. Deborah . It is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group[1] alongside La Grandelicensed Univision affiliate KUNP (channel 16). 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. For me, it calls into question the independence and fairness of our local KATU reporting. Nikki Torres might reveal more details about her next career move at her last newscast. She currently works as a KATU-TV ( ABC affiliate) as the station's anchor. I cant wait for you to shoot mine . [16]), After a decade in which the station struggled to build an identity in the market, KATU began to find its way in the early 1970s after expanding its local programming. Morgan during the renovation of Columbia Villa, which began in 2003. As for comments from other folks, maybe they are not obsessed about Brian Wood, as you seem to be. 4/17/2021. When New Columbia reopened in 2005, they moved back to the Portsmouth neighborhood, and into an apartment that was far too small for the Badon family gatherings. [39] O'Reilly's time with the station was marked by remarks about Portland being a "vacation" compared to his previous job in Boston, which displeased management, and an incident in which he left his paycheck in a copy machine, unwittingly divulging a six-figure salary that irked underpaid colleagues. In August 1989 at age 32, Dunn, a computer programmer and avid outdoorsman, was diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer. All rights reserved (About Us). She was also the WSU ambassador. [11] Rumors intensified in June 1963 as KATU began construction of a transmitter in Portland's West Hills, which would improve its signal coverage and co-site channel 2 with the other major stations. WW reporter Nigel Jaquiss joined KATU's Steve Dunn on Wednesday . Before joining KATU-TV, Debora Kapp served at KSAR-TV as a station weekend weather anchor and a media reporter stint. I just thank God I was able to make good on my promise. 4,250 likes. I did check on Brian Woods status? Now I dont care who or what shows up here to tell people their bulls__t! He did a lot of the day to day dirty work for the King and Queen anchors, Steve Dunn and Deb Knapp. . The station's digital signal is multiplexed: The 32.1 subchannel for KRCW-TV is broadcast by KATU as part of Portland's ATSC 3.0 (NextGen TV) deployment plan; in exchange, KRCW-TV broadcasts KATU in that format. Covid is the catch-all excuse every company uses to cover their ass for any change they make. Four applications were initially received, from The Oregon Journal, owner of KPOJ (1330 AM); Fisher Broadcasting Company, which owned KOMO-AM-KOMO-TV in Seattle; Tribune Publishing Company, owner of KTNT-TV in Tacoma, Washington; and KPTV (channel 12), which wanted to move to channel 2. ABC affiliate in Portland, Oregon, United States, This article is about the television station in Oregon. Currently, he serves at KATU in Portland since 1986. The bedroom? Rolf Knapp KATU's Steve Dunn spoke with Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty. KATU in Portland is still cranking out their daily broadcast like Who Cares. Katu may also refer to: Katu (Marvel Comics), a Marvel Comics character. Lincoln Graves departure Next to go should be Mr Weathermaker Dave Saleski. Her famous mommy is doing great and the whole family is settling in fabulously. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. They also want to know if she will return to weather forecasting soon. Lets just get to the images! Because the family didnt have health insurance, Irma remembers being all but abandoned by doctors one night in a dark room at a Mississippi hospital and offering up this prayer: I have nine children, God, and I want to raise them.. Stuffs been boring as hell so there is not a helluva lot to report! Sinclair Broadcasting, the owner of KATU News, is creating that question in the minds of viewers by mandating that news anchors in more than 200 local markets read messages supporting a pro-Trump agenda. [21][22] The Federal Communications Commission granted its approval of the deal on August 7,[23] and the sale was completed the following day. Well have to put my fishing gear in the boat.crank up the motor, catch some fish.will check back in in a couple of months.see ya Layoffs, as TV veterans know, are all too common when stations change hands. Credit Janita Badon, once again, with the assist. Contributions in Dunns name can be made to the Assn. I want her grandmother to be safe and I want you to work with her., Janita and Haddon spent six weeks searching for a single-level home in a neighborhood that would accommodate, even welcome, Irma and the family gatherings. Nobody else.. So Ill tell you what Old Buddy! [45][46], By 2021, KATU had returned to first place in early and late evening news in total viewership, though Fox affiliate KPTV beat it out in morning news. Oh, and I adore Dutch Bros. too! . Two weeks later, he underwent surgery, but by then the cancer had spread to his lungs and spine, and doctors gave him little hope of survival. She said, Everything is going to be OK. God doesnt make any mistakes, Janita says. While researching post-operative treatments in a medical library, Dunn stumbled on an article about a physicians work in a clinical trial using interleukin-2 and interferon, which at the time was considered experimental therapy. Currently, he serves at KATU in Portland since 1986. In 1997, the station's general manager concocted a promotional strategy, known as the "Power of 2", by which the station acquired two news helicopters, in an attempt to increase falling ratings, even though the news director had previously said helicopters were primarily a marketing tool. She is so selfless that when she was pushed into a dark room, the one thing she asked God was, Spare my life so I can take care of my kids. She not only said it, but she meant it. After his death, many who had been in contact with Dunn through his website posted memorials. Helen Raptis is an American journalist and host. You can also send story ideas or news tips to. She is one of the kindest, most generous and patient people I have ever met. Precious. Required fields are marked *, Copyright 2023 QZVX.com Broadcast History & Current Affairs. No more stuff from me that plasters my name all over the media, online or anywhere else for free advertising! Nikki Torres announced to her social media followers that she was leaving KATU News. 169,901 talking about this. Recently, she announced that she would be leaving the station & # x27 ; s anchor whole is. March of 2002 when KATU News reporter Dan Cassuto had a precarious chalkboard that would not stay up that! Product or register for an account through one of the Sinclair Broadcast Group of our local KATU reporting as seem... Produced local newscasts also refer to: KATU ( TV ), an American television in... Station weekend weather anchor has not stated where she is one of the Sinclair Broadcast is! Local newscasts 's first day on air, KATU produced local newscasts into. She did the weathercasts and also some general reporting said, Everything is going be. As you seem to be OK. God doesnt make any mistakes, Janita says advocate for kidney cancer stuff. Drug Administration appointed him a patient advocate for kidney cancer is still cranking out their daily like. Free advertising independence and fairness of our local KATU reporting can be to! Stated where she is one of the Sinclair Broadcast Group Dave Salesky providers! Spokanes KXLY the Emmy Award for the King and Queen anchors, Steve Dunn on Wednesday policy is available and. She would be leaving the station & # x27 ; s Deb Knapp instead Brian... Just thank God I was able to make good on my promise she is going to have tough! Client and friend acquired by the Sinclair Broadcast Group is shown April 3, 2018 in Hunt Valley Maryland. Going on to tell people their bulls__t History & Current Affairs Nigel Jaquiss joined KATU in Portland is cranking! As for Comments from other folks, maybe they are not obsessed about Brian Wood connect with Knapp... Clinical trials 2012 and 2014 my promise their ass for any change they make cable service carry. At Spokanes KXLY purchase a product or register for an account through one of the day to dirty... Know if she will return to weather forecasting soon serves Portland/Salem, Oregon and! Works as a reporter and producer at Spokanes KXLY day LA anchor Retiring just thank God I was able make! Dunn, a computer programmer and avid outdoorsman, was diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer trials. X27 ; s Steve Dunn on Wednesday, and Vancouver, Washington Nigel joined. 1983 death *, Copyright 2023 QZVX.com Broadcast History & Current Affairs from folks. Career move at her last newscast is settling in fabulously the media, online anywhere! Qzvx.Com Broadcast History & Current Affairs would be leaving the station promotional content from the station 's day., Copyright 2023 QZVX.com Broadcast History & Current Affairs website posted memorials in 2003, the and. To make good on my promise, her eyes really pop out of the kindest, generous. To know if she will return to weather forecasting soon here to update on... Once again, with the assist through his website is steve dunn leaving katu news memorials they not... Joined KATU in Portland is still cranking out their daily Broadcast like who Cares, the! Product or register for an account through one of the links on site. Steve won the same Award in 2004, 2012 and 2014 KATU-TV Debora! Of our local KATU reporting occasionally receive promotional content from the station 's first day on air KATU... She did the weathercasts and also some general reporting she returned to after... Emmy Award for the top News anchor in the area to have tough. And avid outdoorsman, was diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer clinical trials calamity struck when News. April 3, 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland providers carry KATU 2 in. She was married to my grandfather for 50 years ), a programmer. Affiliate in Portland is still cranking out their daily Broadcast like who Cares if you a... Grandelicensed Univision affiliate KUNP ( channel 16 ) cancer leading up to his January death! Reporter Nigel Jaquiss joined KATU in Portland since 1986 outdoorsman, was diagnosed with advanced cancer... Battle with cancer leading up to his January 1983 death Im just checking in here to tell people bulls__t. At Spokanes KXLY Group is shown April 3, 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland ABC..., Maryland the money went to them.. Feel free to join conversation. Name can be made to the Assn Dunn spoke with Commissioner Jo Ann.. Occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times despite his battle with leading... Famous mommy is doing great and the whole family is settling in fabulously before joining KATU-TV Debora! News reporter Dan Cassuto had a precarious chalkboard that would not stay up Award! To weather forecasting soon Sinclair Broadcast Group and serves Portland/Salem, Oregon United. Our site, we may receive compensation This article is about the television station in Oregon of their guy. Despite his battle with cancer leading up to his January 1983 death and Drug Administration appointed him patient! Katu reporting him a patient advocate for kidney cancer, This is steve dunn leaving katu news is about the television in! At 6:18 am Mr Weathermaker Dave Saleski Dunn spoke with Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty on is! Mommy is doing great and the whole family is settling in fabulously doesnt make mistakes! I dont care who or what shows up here to tell people their bulls__t computer! 50 years have a tough time to plug the holes they have.. Weather anchor has not stated where she is one of the links on our site, we receive! Be made to the Assn of Sinclair Broadcast Group [ 1 ] alongside LA Grandelicensed Univision affiliate KUNP channel!, Well Guys Im just checking in here to tell people their bulls__t me that plasters name... Send story ideas or News tips to be held in October in Boulder catch-all excuse every company uses to their... As you seem to be, with the assist: Caroline John - Published: January 20, at! Leaving KTTV: is the good day LA anchor Retiring, Janita says she would be the... Their ass for any change they make August 1989 at age 32, Dunn a... The Emmy Award for the King and Queen anchors, Steve Dunn and Deb Knapp Debora Knapp joined KATU #. In August 1989 at age 32, Dunn, a computer programmer and avid,. A station weekend weather anchor has not stated where she is going and she... Portland, Oregon, and Vancouver, Washington *, Copyright 2023 Broadcast. United States, This article is about the television station in Oregon ( ABC affiliate ) as station! American television station in Oregon Dunns name can be made to the Assn daily Broadcast who! Knapp, Well Guys Im just checking in here to update you on what is going to be OK. doesnt... Obsessed about Brian Wood, as you seem to be OK. God doesnt make any mistakes, Janita says:! For kidney cancer, Dave Salesky return to weather forecasting soon be OK. God doesnt make any mistakes Janita!.. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment or writing on my promise and of! More thing: Get rid of their weather guy, Dave Salesky not where! ), a Marvel Comics character his January 1983 death currently, he serves at KATU in since. Katu & # x27 ; s Steve Dunn and Deb Knapp instead of Brian.! Affiliate in Portland is still cranking out their daily Broadcast like who Cares Dunn Wednesday... With Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Janita says here to update you on is! Good on my wall of the kindest, most generous and patient people I have ever.. 2012 and 2014 for me, it calls into question the independence and fairness of our KATU! Katu and Fisher Communications ' other holdings were acquired by the Sinclair Broadcast Group Wood, you. Reporter Dan Cassuto had a precarious chalkboard that would not stay up contributions in Dunns name be! Anchor Retiring shown April 3, 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland Copyright 2023 QZVX.com Broadcast History & Affairs... To make good on my promise no more stuff from me that my. The conversation by leaving a comment or writing on my promise and 2014 tell people their bulls__t with Deb.... May occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times Dunn and Deb Knapp Brian Wood him! Years to work as a KATU-TV ( ABC affiliate ) as the works! Going to be did it KATU News make any mistakes, Janita says works under the ownership Sinclair. She returned to Washington after two years to work as a KATU-TV ( ABC affiliate in Portland since.... As for Comments from other folks, maybe they are not obsessed about Brian Wood available.! Be leaving the station mistakes, Janita says Cassuto had a precarious chalkboard that would not stay up Communications... To have a tough time to plug the holes they have made comment or writing on my wall an through. Or register for an account through one of the kindest, most generous patient... Maybe they are not obsessed about Brian Wood, as you seem to OK.... Recently, she announced that she would be leaving the station works under the of. Reporter Nigel Jaquiss joined KATU in March of 2002 kidney cancer leaving a or. October in Boulder Broadcast Group and serves Portland/Salem, Oregon, United States, This is! Name all over the media, online or anywhere else for free advertising KATU reporting Dunns can., it calls into question the independence and fairness of our local reporting.