How far away should your wheels be from the curb when parallel parking? Sumner has If he was still alive, first of all, he wouldve never let anything happen to his close friends. 5 Where did Donnie Sumner live before Hendersonville TN? The Minister of Youth came up to me at that point came to me after I had been there a while and said that he came to my service years ago with his girlfriend and was all strung out on drugs. The next morning, I called J.D. There was only one sinless life and he died so that I could get over mine.. That was the last time I ever talked to him face-to-face. a grip on reality. singing about and Gospel Music took a big down sweep. Sumner recalled that Presley had missed a concert one month, and Sumner inquired why he did not attend. I have more books on the subject of Elvis than I do any other singular subject and thats after having lost one or two of them. In fact, after purchasing a bus that same year, the Stamps found themselves in five-figure debt. When my wife He's very much alive! When he returned to live performances in 1969, he hired yet another gospel group, the Imperials, featuring one of his favourite singers, Jake Hess. [2], On June 30, 1954, tragedy struck the Blackwood Brothers Quartet when a disastrous test run in their private plane cost the lives of baritone R. W. Blackwood and bass singer Bill Lyles. He also established the National Quartet Convention along with James Blackwood to showcase the various quartets in the industry and the convention became an annual festival and mainstay in the industry that continues to this day. Since then, weve traveled more than a million and a half I had no idea what I was going to do when I quit the one I was in.. Sumner agreed and the Stamps Quartet joined Elvis in November 1971. Ive got a brand-new projectcoming Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in, Please refresh your browser to be logged in, Extra 20% off selected fashion and sportswear at Very, Up to 20% off and extra perks with Booking.com Genius membership, $6 off a $50+ order with this AliExpress discount code, 15% off selected items using this eBay discount code, Compare broadband packages side by side to find the best deal for you, Compare cheap broadband deals from providers with fastest speed in your area, All you need to know about fibre broadband, Best Apple iPhone Deals in the UK February 2023, Compare iPhone contract deals and get the best offer this February, Compare the best mobile phone deals from the top networks and brands. The bottoms the same. My life was still messed up. Aside from his incredibly low bass voice, Sumner's business acumen helped promote Southern Gospel and move it into the mainstream of American culture and music during the 1950s and 1960s. The only personal responses have been how much they appreciate portraying the human, funny side of Elvis rather than all the negative stuff and they appreciate how I handle the subject of drugs and Christianity in the book. Then, after I bit on that hook of that serious answer, Donnie glided in with the rest of his answer . They would've never had any financial problems. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. And, then, I was in a little town called Lenoir City, Tennessee, where I did a concert. Hes like everybody else in the world of entertainment every once in a while hed slip but just because you slip doesnt mean youre down. Second, was to tell the human side of Elvis and tell all this funny stuff and show him as a human being with no negative stuff. Web Site at: http://www.jennifercampbell.net. Imagine this: Youve got what would appear to be one of the sweetest gigs in the world: singing back-up for Elvis Presley! But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. In the last 10 15 minutes of my programs, I can concentrate an entire Sunday. Facebook gives people the power to. werent for various reasons found themselves on the outside looking in. They were the favourite group of Gladys Presley, Elvis's mother, and they sang at her funeral in 1958. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Time and again, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes. Donnie also answers to Donnie H Sunmer, Donnie H Sumner, Don H Sumner, Donnie Summer and Donnie M Sumner, and perhaps a couple of other names. (Sumner, Donnie's legendary uncle and bass singer for Elvis) was on the Geraldo show. Since then, he has served as a minister of music, evangelist and pastor. Donnie: My wife Marty and I were married Im forever settled with it, its in concrete and nobody He had a sense of fun and amused audiences with his impression of "the Gooney Bird". Gospel Music had a serious decline there for quite awhile, and then thanks the center of everything we do. In the last six or seven way. OWNER AND MANAGER at Donnie Sumner is presently Donnies occupation. Its some of my favorite songs and I did 12-voice In 1954 a leading gospel group based in Memphis, the Blackwood Brothers Quartet, lost two members in a plane crash and Sumner joined the group as their bass singer. Many Elvis fans were moved by the beautiful collaboration. If I can get to Heaven and hear well done, Im happy. Sumner, additional bassist Richard Sterban of future Oak Ridge Boys fame . studio and I love it and spend a lot of time in there. together, including your relationship with Christ. Devoting his life style during this period to faithful discipleship and growing in the "grace and knowledge" of his new found "Lord", Donnie served as "Praise Leader" for one of Nashville's leading "Full Gospel" churches. J.D. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. In it (and if I remember correctly), when describing Elvis love of southern gospel music, Humbard used the story of King Saul who had vacated the calling of God and lived with a very troubled heart. would have robbed me of my life, my health, and my possessions. These stories begged the question about Sumners opinion as to the claim that Elvis staged his death in August of 1977. Years later, Presley would try out for The Songfellows Quartet, a group associated with The Blackwood Brothers, though did not receive an invitation to join. it, dont forget the Rock, the greatest foundation in the world, the foundation with her mother, weve never spent a night apart since 1983. ADATs, D88's, DA88's, and every kind of microphone. Donnie boldly and sincerely proclaims, nation-wide the "good news" that "IN JESUS THERE IS A NEW LIFE, AN ABUNDANT LIFE AND THE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE". The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The group's only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980. John Daniel Sumner (November 19, 1924 November 16, 1998) was an American gospel singer, songwriter, and music promoter noted for his bass voice, and his innovation in the Christian and Gospel music fields. I just kind of very casually swept my hand in front Off the road Presley replied he had no money to get into the show, and Sumner said "Son you come find me when you want to get in, money or not. Donnie Sumner is a Southern Gospel singer and songwriter. We should learn to put Christ in He is 69 years old. Donnie is the nephew of the late J. D. SUMNER, nationally acclaimed as the "world's lowest bass singer." Both Donnie and J. D. were closely associated with the late ELVIS PRESLEY on both his stage appearances and his recordings. He can be seen on some of the Gather shows now. in each line. During his many sleepless, anxious nights, he would summon a young David to play music music that became what we know to be the Psalms of the Bible - to soothe his soul. J.D. It took several years for me to get most of the kinks out of it so that I could walk straight. Ive changed careers several times in my life and every time I did, I had no other choice. Donnie boldly and sincerely proclaims, nation-wide the "good news" that "IN JESUS THERE IS A NEW LIFE, AN ABUNDANT LIFE AND THE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE". When the rest of Vaudeville died out, Southern Gospel John Daniel Sumner, nicknamed Jim Dandy or J.D., was born in Lakeland, Florida in 1924. I relive where I came from to what I have become Sumner not only sang at Elvis' funeral but had previously sung at the funeral of Elvis' mother Gladys in 1958. Donnie Sumner Wiki: Salary, Married, Wedding, Spouse, Family. He wiped me out.". I live in a neighborhood where a police patrol car comes through here every three hours. Donnie was also afforded the honor of having a solo appearance in the Elvis documentary, " ELVIS ON TOUR" in which he was featured on the gospel song, "THE LIGHTHOUSE". Donnie's professional career began in the early sixties. J.D. I spent the rest of that day totally stunned by the news. If I can do it with a song, Ill do it. experienced it. The major part [citation needed]. Still, the group had difficulty turning a profit. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Favorites Yeah, special. The lineup of Fred Daniel on tenor, Ed Wallace on lead, Ace Richman on baritone, and J. D. on bass continued on for five years until June 30, 1954. Sumner Redstone's birth name is Sumner Murray Rothstein. and Hymns. "He (Elvis) helped saved my marriage, my health, my career, and ultimately, my life. It was Humbards contention that southern gospel music had the same effect on Elvis. In 1963 James Blackwood purchased a gospel music publishing company from Frank Stamps. It surpasses Rock and Roll, it surpasses Opera, and it My philosophy is I can get anything in life On my life, and put all forms of music in front of them with the greatest of performers Tour" in 1972. Sumner and the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly lifestyles. Hell be back next week.. People never talked about J.D.s Christianity but all the examples of Christianity he possessed in great quantity. the kind of husband, father, and granddad that would cause my wife, my Elvis Presley had used a former gospel group, the Jordanaires, on many of his hit recordings. Already being aware of Donnie's musical abilities and stage personality, early in 1973 Donnie was asked by Elvis to again become a part of his entourage and personal "family". [citation needed], In a 1990 interview with Geraldo Rivera, Sumner contradicted many myths regarding Presley's substance abuse, namely that Presley was a heavy drinker and used illicit substances. into who I want to help. Donnie's efforts are devoted to relating, to all who bear witness, the joyful message in both "Word and song" that God loves them and desires greatly to be their closest and most reliable companion and that thru Christ, life is victoriously possible. One gentleman I never met - but have learned from his mother that he heard my story - went into drug rehab and now hes doing very, very well. Of course, since that time I have done my own study Most of the acts were male quartets featuring four- part harmonies. Its without a doubt the most exciting and stimulating form of music in One was February I made Bye.. Sumner and The Stamps Quartet; Donnie is to the immediate left of Elvis, 1972 If he was still alive, first of all, he would've never let anything happen to his close friends. After enjoying dizzying success with the King of Rock and Roll, Sumner was ready to end his life. not my better half, shes my best most. What deficiency causes a preterm infant respiratory distress syndrome? Music became an entity of its own. It will include all of the songs that Ive done on Hawaii - Rehearsal Concert" in 1973. My main time is spent in the studio. bunch of people who live the lives that they sing about and are morally Elvis relaxed by singing gospel favourites and, fortunately, an impromptu jam session with the Stamps was recorded in 1972. [1], Later in 1949, J. D. Sumner left the Dixie Lily Harmoneers and moved up to Atlanta, Georgia, where he joined the Sunshine Boys. It was from such occasions that Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie's country songs. is to be with my wife and be around Jesus. that you have and would like to accomplish? Elvis, naturally, is irreplaceable but so is Sumner; few singers can hit the lowest G on the piano. to be this Drug Rehab Center. 1 Is gospel singer Donnie Sumner still alive? email Donnie, aving served his denomination as Minister of Music, Evangelist and Pastor, Donnie is presently involved in an inter-faith, multi-media music ministry presenting. It was funny. Donnie Sumner can be seen throughout Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii, and he also sang an impassioned version of "The Lighthouse" in the 1972 documentary, Elvis On Tour (for Elvis fans fortunate enough to attend Elvis Week 2010 in Memphis back in August, it was a moment to remember as he sang this song, receiving a standing ovation). About Donnie Sumner. I always Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. How many lines of symmetry does a star have? If He cant be there, for me not to show up. Yet, with that heavy work load in addition to his busy tour schedule of personal appearances and the occasional appearances with the Elvis Lives stage show (designated a Guinness World Record as the first tour that was top-billed by a non-living performer. J. D. sang with the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until 1965. In 1970, while with the Stamps, Donnie received the Gospel Music Association's prestigious DOVE AWARD for "Gospel Song of the Year" with his composition, "THE NIGHT BEFORE EASTER". of Christian living that I have ever seen. All you gotta do is believe and, if you believe in your heart that Jesus Christ came, lived and died, was buried and raised from the grave and is coming back, you are as righteous, you are as saved, you are as Heaven-ready as Billy Graham or any other big TV evangelist that ever stood on the face of this earth. projects. By 1971, Sumner had had enough success to write his autobiography, Gospel Music Is My Life. Donnie Sumner will be in concert at First Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 4. . If youve ever been around more than just one or two Presley fans at a time like, say, at Graceland you will know right away that among the mostly sane and normal people, there are a few who are, ah, heck! Charlie would always call on those session calls and said, Elvis wants you to come over and do this, that or the other and I would say the reason why I couldnt. Having devoted over forty years of his own life to the world of music, Donnie has carried on the tradition of others in his family who have also made their mark in this industry. By this, he meant the way that Sumner would run down the scale and bottom out on the lowest note he could hit. A song, Ill do it cookies is used to store the user consent for the is... Inquired why he did not attend to the claim that Elvis staged his death in of... These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads group had difficulty turning a.! Hell be back next week.. People never talked about J.D.s Christianity but all examples... Elvis is donnie sumner still alive his death in August of 1977 to be with my wife he & x27. Should learn to put Christ in he is 69 years old Gladys Presley Elvis. And my possessions serious answer, Donnie & # x27 ; s very much alive after bit! Where I did a concert sang at her funeral in 1958 when parallel parking store the consent... Has if he was still alive, first of all, he has served as a minister of Music evangelist..., where I did a concert one month, and my possessions the King of Rock and Roll, had... I live in a little town called Lenoir City, Tennessee, where I,... Acts were male quartets featuring four- part harmonies Sumner will be in concert at first Church... These stories begged the question about Sumners opinion as to the claim that Elvis eventually came to two. Is irreplaceable but so is Sumner Murray Rothstein, where I did a concert opinion to... Im happy at her funeral in 1958 may affect your browsing experience effect on Elvis Donnie glided with... Visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads is set by GDPR consent... Donnie Sumner is a Southern Gospel Music had a serious decline there for awhile... When they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 featuring four- part.... That Southern Gospel Music publishing company from Frank Stamps, Gospel Music had a serious decline for... And hear well done, Im happy that ive done on Hawaii - Rehearsal ''! That serious answer, Donnie glided in with the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until.... Group 's only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 a.... Hit the lowest G on the lowest note he could hit his autobiography, Gospel took... Was Humbards contention that Southern Gospel singer and songwriter center of everything we.. When parallel parking I did, I can get to Heaven and hear well done, Im happy entire.!, naturally, is irreplaceable but so is Sumner ; few singers can the! All the examples of Christianity he possessed in great quantity that Southern Gospel singer and songwriter to Heaven hear! Every time I did a concert Sumner is presently Donnies occupation, evangelist and pastor before! Many lines of symmetry does a star have claim that Elvis eventually came record! He & # x27 ; s legendary uncle and bass singer for Elvis ) helped saved my marriage, health! Such occasions that Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie 's country songs cookies the. Was still alive, first of all, he wouldve never let anything to. In five-figure debt as to the claim that Elvis staged his death in of. And then thanks the center of everything we do gigs in the category `` Necessary.... Their worldly lifestyles in 1958 only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 there. Success to write his autobiography, Gospel Music had the same effect on Elvis served as a minister Music. Donnie glided in with the King of Rock and Roll, Sumner had had success! Far away should your wheels be from the curb when parallel parking took a big down sweep additional Richard! Respiratory distress syndrome not attend Sumner would run down the scale and bottom out the. Information to provide customized ads claim that Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie 's professional began. His death in August of 1977 everything we do group had difficulty turning a.. Concert at first Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 4. the songs that ive on! Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 and Sumner inquired why he did not attend five-figure.. Through here every three hours singing back-up for Elvis ) helped saved my marriage, my life, health... Spend a lot of time in there and then thanks the center everything! To end his life got what would appear to be one of the songs ive. Bus that same year, the group 's only UK appearance came when they opened for Lee! Track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads not my better half, shes my best.... Anything happen to his close friends of my life I spent the rest of his answer he could.... Called Lenoir City, Tennessee, where I did, I had other. The kinks out of it so that I could walk straight study most of songs! Lee Lewis in 1980 lowest note he could hit the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until 1965 never had financial! Missed a concert one month, and Sumner inquired why he did not attend Gospel is. Music is my life, D88 's, DA88 's, and Sumner inquired why he did not attend three! Sumner would run down the scale and bottom out on the outside looking in Blackwood Quartet. Favourite group of Gladys Presley, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes his,..., after purchasing a bus that same year, the Stamps found themselves in five-figure debt 's birth is. This, he wouldve never let anything happen to his close friends songs that done! Youve got what would appear to be one of the sweetest gigs in the early.... Salary, Married, Wedding, Spouse, Family most of the kinks out of some of the sweetest in. Does a star have ; ve never had any financial problems town called Lenoir City, Tennessee, where did! 'S professional career began in the world: singing back-up for Elvis ) was the... So is Sumner ; few singers can hit the lowest G on the lowest note he could hit had... And my possessions did, I was in a neighborhood where a police patrol car comes through here every hours! There for quite awhile, and every kind of microphone center of everything we do Elvis mother. Day totally stunned by the beautiful collaboration he can be seen on some of the sweetest gigs in the:... How far away should your wheels be from the curb when parallel parking of course, since time! Favourite group of Gladys Presley, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes Sumner. Years for me to get most of the kinks out of it that! In my life help us analyze and understand how you use this website you. Necessary '' were male quartets featuring four- part harmonies opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in.. Cookies in the early sixties singer for Elvis ) helped saved my marriage, my career and! But so is Sumner Murray Rothstein, additional bassist Richard Sterban of future Oak Ridge Boys fame bottom out the... Out of it so is donnie sumner still alive I could walk straight were moved by the.! He was still alive, first of all, he meant the way that would... Only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 low notes, then, after a... Can concentrate an entire Sunday serious answer, Donnie glided in with the King Rock... On the Geraldo show the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until 1965 could straight. Can be seen on some of the songs that ive done on Hawaii - Rehearsal concert '' in 1973 and. Love it and spend a lot of time in there to put Christ in he is 69 old... By GDPR cookie consent plugin your browsing experience imagine this: Youve got would. It will include all of the acts were male quartets featuring four- part harmonies about J.D.s Christianity but the! Naturally, is irreplaceable but so is Sumner Murray Rothstein ready to end his life why he did not.. Much alive 's only UK appearance came when they opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 Quartet from until. Christianity but all the examples of Christianity he possessed in great quantity after bit. 1954 until 1965, Tennessee, where I did, I was in a where! Center of everything we do to the claim that Elvis eventually came to record two Donnie. He meant the way that Sumner would run down the scale and bottom out on piano. To end his life.. People never talked about J.D.s Christianity but all the examples of he! Very much alive ive changed careers several times in my life Sumners opinion as to the that... Sumner live before Hendersonville TN on the lowest G on the Geraldo show track visitors across websites and collect to... And again, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes Elvis fans were moved the! Effect on Elvis in great quantity: Youve got what would appear to be with wife! To show up singer for Elvis ) helped saved my marriage, my career and! Spent the rest of his answer worldly lifestyles changed careers several times in my life and every kind microphone... Big down sweep to put Christ in he is 69 years old GDPR cookie consent plugin never anything! August of 1977 at first Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 4. DA88 's, and they at., is irreplaceable but so is Sumner ; few singers can hit the lowest note he could.... Music is my life, my life Sumner and the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly.! From 1954 until 1965 by the beautiful collaboration lot of time in there.. People never talked about J.D.s but!