Keep in mind that not all plastics can be dyed. This keeps the two layers from blending together. Youll never smell plastic again! Pride and Satisfaction of catching "The . Many are available in quart size containers that make a great trial size before settling on a specific brand. Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. I recently discovered a new alternative that, when compared with getting a new boat, definitely Would love your thoughts, please comment. The water's temperature should be neither hot or cold but lukewarm. The visor parts were carefully prepped with cleaner and plastic adhesive, prior to coating them with an aftermarket pigment formulated to restore or change color on most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics; its considered a permanent coating. I started off by buying a gallon of MF Plastics Regular Plastisol based on what Mark was using. This is critical. Thanks for this info Tony! Hey guys, here's a video on how to customize your soft plastics with dye. Use a funnel to pour the dye into the object if it has a small opening. Optimal temperature varies by Plastisol manufacturer but is somewhere between 300-400 degrees. Spike-It has better Chunk Paint for dots and stripes that won't bleed into the plastic. for temperary coloration you can use a sharpie permenant marker. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Contact Us. There is no concrete setting for how much acetone it takes to dye any plastic this part of the process is trial and error. Turn the object upside down so the dyeing mixture can drip out without leaving marks on the top surface of the object. A question for some of the more experienced hands who pour their own soft plastic worms ans grubs. This can be done with glue, double-sided tape or thin-gauge pins. For the DIY pourer, plaster of Paris (POP) is a great place to start for making your own mold as it is affordable and easy to cast with. Liquid plastic should only be used in well-ventilated areas. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. You can buy black wall paint, but you have to use painter's tape on the window and around it (anything you don't want black that is near the rubber) because you need to cover the spots you don't want painted otherwise it will stain. Ive noticed slight characteristic differences between the major brands of Plastisol. By using our site, you agree to our. This will save you time from having to get out the bottle each time you want to put some on a new lure, plus it'll keep your lures from sticking together, even if it gets really hot out. I want them black. Paste as plain text instead, Outside of Plastisol, pigment, glitter, scent, worm oil and a mold you will need the following equipment: a microwave to heat the liquid Plastisol, a glass-measuring cup to heat the Plastisol (do not use plastic as it will crack), metal mixing spoons (do not use wood, they add moisture and create bubbles), leather gloves, a respirator, safety goggles, and a well ventilated workspace. There are two approaches to getting molds to make soft plastic lures, you can either make them, or buy them premade.Making molds can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them, but the simple methods of using a pre-existing soft plastic lure, or making a lure blank yourself will typically result in lures with a lower quality appearance.In most cases, the fish wont care about the defects, but this can vary depending on the complexity of the lure, as a Senko worm is much easier in terms of making a mold than a swimbait or craw lure.If you dont want to learn and go through the costs and time to make your own molds, luckily for you, there is a huge variety of pre-made molds for soft plastic baits on the market today.Pre-made molds can range from aluminum to high-temp PVC designs, and the number of chambers can also vary.Even aluminum molds are fairly affordable, and in my opinion your best option, and if you fish enough they will pay themselves off in no time. Click here to join us in the Insider Club! There are many things you can do throughout this process to make things uniquely yours. To prevent this, use glass or metal cooking tools if possible. Timing is everything when getting to the last portion of the mold, especially with a small tail that comes to a point like an eel. Liquid plastic, also known as Plastisol, is the primary material used to make soft plastic lures. Wear a respirator and safety goggles to keep the fumes produced by the plastic from getting into your eyes, nose, and mouth. Out of the bottle, liquid plastic is a thin, white liquid which changes to a soft, clear plastic when heated to approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit (there are no catalysts to add, just heat). This doesn't require anything fancy. Simply heat the liquid to 350 degrees, at which point the plastic will turn clear and have a syrupy consistency. There are 7 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. You can post now and register later. Ideally, the water should be anywhere from 170 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. But I was a little surprised because the rod was in my rod holder, and I had an artificial lure rigged on it. 1 cup plastic. Dip the silicone objects into the hair dye until their surface is thoroughly coated. Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. The dye will stain anything and everything it touches including your clothes so be forewarned! smalljaws99 Only really works with Gulp baits. P.S. Create memories that matter through fishing, Email: [email protected]: (855)888-6494130 W. Central Ave, Winter Haven, FL 33880. Wish you had a boat, but don't have the money or space? It was my reel singing to me, letting me know I had a big fish on. Ive only had this happen to me once when I was mixing several different types of recycled plastics together. Just mix your dye in a bowl, submerge your item in it, and leave it to soak overnight. C.Rig21 For a more precise measurement, use a water thermometer. Good stuff! If Im pouring two colors in one mold I pour the belly color first and then wait 30 seconds to a minute before pouring the top color. For indoor items made of rubber that will not get a lot of wear and tear, use acrylic craft paint. glad to see others doing it too! Leave the objects in the container while fully coated in the dye to soak in the new color. Pouring the plastic without making a major mess can be somewhat of an art. When painting a boat and taking it out while the product is still gassing off the boat.The fresh smell of oil based product on your boat will detour fish as well. This article has been viewed 54,593 times. This product is flammable and can not be shipped Air. This allows him to make the large, soft, unusual baits he is known for without fear of premature breakage. The stuff sticks like napalm so expect to get burned if it makes contact with any exposed skin. A concept lure made for musky that snuck into the striper world. I began pouring my own soft plastics for use in the surf, kayak and by boat several years ago. Smoking cigarettes while fishing will reduce the likelyhood of fish striking. These things might seem like common sense to yall and I apologize for not understanding the simplest of obstructions. Fabric dye can stain bowls and other cooking tools, particularly plastics. For silicone objects, you can also use hair dye. Utterly disappointed from the previous spray paint debacle, I decided to move on to the next experimental procedure using a combination of household products in an attempt to dye these plastic parts. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. Once it has cured you can pull the mold from the casting box, flip it upside-down and pull the baits out. Other than Spike-It (best service), I use Colorite (average service) which is cheaper, but comes in more colors. Tags dyeinginterior restorationplastic dyeingplastic restorationrestorationRit Dye More. For more tips and tricks check out my other videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLbuPgIHYhs3bqQciyRsSw_UaDNPuBm37 Also go to BioSpawn.com and use code TJ81 for 15% off your order. Are the coffee grounds used (ie:this mornings pot of coffee), what kind of salt (kosher would be my guess), and the same question for oil, what kind? Make sure to shake any air bubbles out of the mold before it sets up. After the baits sit, I soak them in scented worm oil to make them even more enticing to the fish. Direct from the company? You dont have to be an airbrush master to paint a realistic-looking plug. If you are going to pour during the winter, make sure to warm the molds and mixing cups prior to pouring. Step 5. Always work in a well-ventilated area such as outside or in an open garage. Thank you for your support!!! Your link has been automatically embedded. Privacy Statement. However, Rit also dyes plastic materials very well and its very popular within the hobby community their black dye in particular works very well, and its almost impossible to tell if something is dyed or not. Do not dye metal, wood, glass, or rubber pieces using this method because they will not absorb the synthetic dye properly. I dropped the parts back into the pot, then reset the timer for 15 more minutes. If you want the color to be stronger, you can repeat the process 1-2 more times until you're satisfied. 13K views 1 year ago Randy shares three of the secrets for correctly applying dye to soft plastic lured to help generate more strikes under different conditions. Sinai, NY 11766 Use JJ's Magic in ziplug bag, so you'll have color and scent, They have 3 main colors(by mixing them you can get any color you want) and you will use them for so long. Colorant and Glitter for pouring your own Soft Plastics Baits. I couldnt imagine the pain of a direct spill on my skin. Ask Question Step 6: Pouring and Finnishing! Protective clothing should be worn while using liquid plastic. Make Your Own Soft Plastics Soft Plastic Bait Making Supplies and Materials for pouring your own Soft Plastic Baits Want to pour your own Soft Plastics Baits? When it came time to purchase a set of sun visor clips for Project 510, there were no options other than to purchase them used. Even with paint sealer, acrylic paint may flake or chip over time. Be careful to poor only on the porcelain surface, which will wash easier. Other than placing my soft plastics in a gallon size ziploc with a baking soda paste, Im at a loss on how to remove that runner/plastic smell. Step one begins with a pot of water brought to boil and checked using the thermal gun. You can buy Mod Podge from most home improvement or craft stores. This method is ideal for small silicone objects. Essential Items: Milk Vinegar Large Pot Larger Pot (needs to be the same size as the other, or larger). You can create your very own custom color or make your favorite Zoom or Yamamoto colors, the possibilities are endless! Painting rubber is the most temporary way to stain objects. http://www.colorite-glowmaster.com/index.html. Smaller parts require less temperature as the heat allows the porous plastic to accept the dye. This helps the baits release once theyve cured. https://fishstrong.com/collections/scents/products/dr-juice-saltwater-slam-scents?variant=39318724247726. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you. Fish, especially redfish and black drum, use their sense of smell to find food, and since I was using a smelly Gulp jerk shad, I was able to catch this nice red deadsticking an artificial lure. The other day I was sitting in my kayak when I heard my favorite sound. Make sure to use a pot that you (or your significant other!) Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Otherwise, wait for the water to start forming bubbles at the bottom of the pot but not yet boil. If you buy a product through links on the site we may make a small commission. By utilizing a lure dye, you can quickly change the color and dynamic of your fishing lure while add. 5. There is a lot of it out there. I was able to source a set of Bluebird clips in decent condition from Japan, but the drawback was that they were white as with all visor clips offered for the 510. There is definitely a benefit for the avid angler who wants to create their own soft plastic lures, not only to save money, but in areas like custom colors, and if you go all in on lure building, by creating designs that are unique, or when you want a presentation that isnt offered by lure companies. Upload or insert images from URL. You can make your own molds, but this is a learning process that can take a significant amount of time and money depending on what you are trying to make.The process can also be simple, but if things like sprue holes and vents are the proper size or in the location, you might be stuck with a mold that doesnt create quality lures.Single-piece open molds are simple, but two-piece molds are where things can get a little tricky. for light \"clear\" smoke and two drops of black per ounce of plastic. Pour your dye mixture into this larger container and make sure there is enough water in the container to cover your object. % of people told us that this article helped them. Spike it plastic lure dye, and UV blast plastic lure dye will change colors of non-white plastic. .035 black glitter. 1. The downside of plaster is that is must be sealed and fully dried out before sealing. I use pipe cleaners to dab on color and make laminates, which saves color rather than dipping the whole lure. For a temporary solution, use acrylic paint. Through my quest of pouring my own plastics, Id like to thank my buddy, Gabe Ravizza of Gravity Tackle (creator of the 13.5-inch GT Eel) for the help he has given me along the way. You can also add salt or other additives to your mix to increase weight and adjust buoyancy. My overall experience with the Bait Plastics product has been great. After one hour of boiling the part, I pulled the piece out and dunked it into a cup of distilled water to close up the pores and seal the surface. Cheaper than Spike-It, but service sucks. First, saltless plastics float, making them more versatile. Experience and experimentation will show you the unique shades and different colors which can be made. You can buy fabric dye online or at most craft stores. When pouring, I start at the head and work my way towards the tail. After agitating the parts in the new Dye More solution and acetone mixture for 15 minutes, the parts came out noticeably blacker in color. Start by cleaning the rubber really well so the dye will stick to it more effectively. Take apart any removable parts first and label or photograph them to remember how to put the object back together. I ended up using a high-temp-rated epoxy to seal my POP molds. After 20 years of building, Dave revisits the first plug he ever made on the lathe. Use JJ's Magic in ziplug bag, so you'll have color and scent, They have 3 main colors (by mixing them you can get any color you want) and you will use them for so long. good crawfish imitator is made by adding red . The softer the plastic, the more action it will have but the quicker it will tear off the hook. Pasted as rich text. Clear editor. I dont have any issue rigging them up. I like a medium plastic because it gives me great action at a reasonable level of durability. By Fahrenheit Marketing. Easiest thing to do is grab some Dr. Juice from our shop page and spray some into your bag of soft plastics. Some people add scent to the plastic before pouring. You cannot paste images directly. 866-347-4836, Snag & Drop Alternative for Success & Conservation, Announcing The Northeast Striped Bass Study, Travel Log: Florida More Than Just the Keys, Spoons or Mojos? Find a well-ventilated area to mix the hair dye, as most chemical dyes have a strong smell. If I buy small bottles of the worm dyes can I paint them on my lures to creat custom colors. Copyright 1997-2023 The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide LLC All rights reserved. If you use a disperse dye, you can pour the mixture down a bathtub drain. Im looking for a fishing log that I can keep electronically, spreadsheet style. Paper Towels, lots and lots of paper towels Handy, but not necessarily essential, items: Wax Paper (good for rolling and shaping on. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Instead of the plastic parts turning a jet black, as I had seen other people have results with, my parts turned a dark purple, which was not the goal at all. May 7, 2006 in Tacklemaking. !Subscribe to TackleJunky81: http://bit.ly/TackleJunky81And follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tacklejunky81Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TackleJunky81-884946151580739 Instagram: https://instagram.com/tacklejunky81/and Periscope: tacklejunky81 Pour the mixture into your object. Enjoy! Check out this simple tip in the video below. As it turns out, the ingredients used in the Rit Dye didnt adhere to the type of plastic that the visors were made from. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Supposedly you can dilute colorites product with acetone (which is what their clear solution is, so don't waste your money). Acetone has a lower boiling point than water and will explode on contact, similar to throwing water into a pot of boiling oil. My go-to scent is shad, even in eel baits, as it produces the best results of the several scents Ive tried. Once the water begins rolling to a consistent boil, I poured some salt into the pot. Do not dye your rubber unless you're positive that you want to change its color. If wikiHow has helped you, please consider a small contribution to support us in helping more readers like you. The Fisherman Before sealing the mold, it must be fully dried. Its one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure were still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)? My PB: Between 5-6 lbs. Do you want to be informed whenever we publish a new article? This method works for all rubber types except silicone. You also want to make sure that you clean your parts very well before their dye bath. The bait being casted must be held down inside the mold box otherwise it will float up when pouring the POP. From crafting molds, to blending unique custom colors, pouring soft plastics is a rewarding way to pass the winter months. Dispose of the dyeing mixture responsibly. References. Wear clothes you can get dirty in while dyeing rubber in case of accidental stains. Read This Before Posting! Back To : M-F Manufacturing Colorants. Do not consume food from any of the containers that you dyed. Rit did not work. While it might not seem like it right off the bat if you buy all the materials and equipment needed if you are an avid angler that goes through a ton of soft plastic baits it will certainly save you money.You can pour a ton of bass lures with a gallon of plastisol, which will typically run about 50 dollars, while a 10 pack of store-bought trailers might run you 6-10 dollars. I'm still a rookie but I'm going to say no, not really. After the first 15 minutes, I pulled the parts out to check the progress and found minimal change. The stiffness of the final product can be changed with the addition of plastic softener or hardener.Liquid plastic is incredibly easy to use. Swirl the mixture around until the entire inside of your object is covered. I have found putting a strip of double-sided carpet tape on the bottom of the mold and using thin gauge pins to help keep the bait in place while pouring works well. Wengenroth also forgoes salt in his plastics. When hand pouring the plastisol lures you will want to go slow with a thin stream of plastisol entering the mold, this helps eliminate air pockets or defects.A great option for consistent soft plastic lures is to use an injector. Copyright 2019 Front Street Media. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). This will save you time from having to get out the bottle each time you want to put some on a new lure, plus itll keep your lures from sticking together, even if it gets really hot out. You need to add acetone until the part accepts the dye, but at the same time be sure that the plastic does not have a serious reaction to the acetone, which can cause it to melt. M-F Manufacturing Soft Plastic Colorants: Zeiner's Home Page 737 S. Washington #6 ~ Wichita, KS 67211 ~ (316) 265-5551 View Order/Check Out Product Index . While making soft plastic lures and using plastisol may seem straightforward, the material, cooking, and pouring, all take a while to get used to and learn.Plastisol temps are crucial, and cooking the plastisol correctly so that it activates and sets is imperative. Try Google. smoke with flake. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below. If the plastic isnt taking the dye at all then more acetone must be used. Many anglers today are starting to make their own soft plastic lures, and it makes sense. Please Email Me the PDF and Add Me To the Newsletter Now! Find a paint sealer in the paint department at a craft or home improvement store. The colors will bleed in a couple days but for on the spot uses they work good. I began stage 3 by filling a small container with water heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. They have a great color selection. NOTE: Put Quantity in each color you want then click "ADD" . Vegetable oil, olive oil, grape seed oil, surely to heavens not motor oil ( I would rather deal with the plastic smell). Once your plastic has fully melted, you may put salt and glitter in. But what if youre not using Gulp products? If something doesnt dye even after an hour, most likely it wont take the dye well. Rit Dye More is blended with synthetic pigments and contains a type of dye called disperse dye. The epoxy coating gives the mold a smooth feel allowing the poured baits to release easily and give them a glossy look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsG_25shwY&feature=youtu.be&t=112, https://ourpastimes.com/dye-rubber-soles-8750128.html, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsG_25shwY&feature=youtu.be&t=90, https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8581/how-to-dye-silicone-startselect-buttons/, https://www.elle.com/beauty/advice/a27664/7-things-that-destroy-your-hair-color/, https://hoosierhomemade.com/how-to-paint-a-recycled-rubber-outdoor-mat/#, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-t4WLdrwk&feature=youtu.be&t=18. The next hour was spent gently agitating the parts while making sure to refill my water levels due to evaporation. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Even salt or garlic and glitter can be added. I have found the best way to cast a mold is to make a box out of foam board using hot glue to tack it together and lining it with aluminum foil to help with releasing the mold after it has cured. 20 drops red. After some research, I found a compelling answer in the form of plastic dyeing. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. If you don't achieve the color you want after 1-2 times, try painting it instead. How is it possible to catch a fish with a lure that needs an angler to put action on it when the rod was sitting stationary in my rod holder? I am not so much interested in making my own soft plastics as customising those I buy. Pro tip: never add acetone to a hot water dye. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. Pasted as rich text. This is critical. Rit can usually be found at your local department store; it is available in different pigments should you desire an alternative color. Be the first to rate this post. Use a cooling rack or disposable cup to dry and set the dyeing process for small objects. Use it to try out great new products and services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and more. Display as a link instead, Out of the bottle, liquid plastic is a thin, white liquid which changes to a soft, clear plastic when heated to approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit (there are no catalysts to add, just heat). Before pouring each batch, I brush a light coat of worm oil into the mold cavities. Favorite Lake or River Castaic Lake and Castaic Lagoon Los Angeles, Lake Casitas. The only conceivable problem is this type of paint is not a dye, which could become an issue if the sun visors were continually used, which could eventually cause the painted surface to scratch or chip. Here at LurePartsOnline.com, we can help! This material may not be posted on another website. Apply a new dye coat and keep it away from UV light if your dyed color fades over time. Add silver and black flake to imitate baitfish ,Red to imitate crawfish or another. Making your own mold is very easy. This allows me to make it just big enough for what I need so that I am not wasting extra plaster or space. If you want to use a flower pot that you dyed, line your dyed pot with a white container before inserting the soil and plants. To my dismay, the paint scraped off with minimal effort. Topping of sprues or open pour openings ensures your bait doesnt have large dents or deformations. The more times that you pour, the less trimming there will be afterwards as you will develop a feel for when to stop. If you have any areas you don't want to paint, affix painter's tape over these areas before applying the Mod Podge. Display as a link instead, Some objects will only need 10-15 minutes to absorb the dye. Try different Plastisols and use what you are most comfortable with or what produces your desired results. Upload or insert images from URL. Let your baits dry off before storage. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below. 2023 Barlow's Tackle | Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land). No votes so far! Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales, Protective clothing should be worn while using liquid plastic. This process may take up to 1 hour depending on the size of your object. Just make up a casting tray either with a plastic container, baking tray, or even a cardboard box lined with aluminum foil. I have some bags of white single tail grubs and I was thinking of trying to dye them a different color. This trip provides example after example of what textbook fall fishing zones look like. NoDo this only if your melting them down to re-poursorry I wasnt really following you there. In a rare case, it could burp in your mixing cup. Anyone ever tried re-dying an existing soft plastic bait? See more ideas about worms, soft plastic, vinyl painted. You just poured 400-degree plastic into that mold, and its going to take some time to cool, and the time required depends on the size and thickness of the lure.for typical bass fishing soft plastic lures, this can be as little as 10-15 minutes, but for larger 8 plus inch swimbaits, you will want to wait a minimum of 15 minutes.Opening the mold too soon will result in a ruined lure that will need to be recycled, and it could also ooze onto your hands and fingers causing serious burns. Dye will leave marks on pretty much anything, so be aware of that risk! If you don't achieve the color you want after 1-2 times, try painting it instead, as too much dyeing can damage the silicone. Because I used acetone as an activator for this experiment, I moved the procedure into a well-ventilated area. .035 blue glitter. Do not use pots or utensils that you use for food preparation. This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. While your water is coming to a boil, fill a second container or pot with cool water for rinsing your object. Once it has cured you can get dirty in while dyeing rubber in case accidental. Your very own custom color or make your favorite Zoom or Yamamoto colors, the less trimming will! Mold before it sets up casting tray either with a plastic container, baking tray, or ). Was thinking of trying to dye any plastic this part of the more action it will float when! Dye properly without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing and.!, similar to throwing water into a well-ventilated area such as outside in. Things you can use a disperse dye, and it makes sense site, can! Chemical dyes have a syrupy consistency that not all plastics can be dyed any of the worm dyes I... It sets up down a bathtub drain glitter can be done with glue, tape! Dye in a well-ventilated area to mix the hair dye until their is. Second container or pot with cool water for rinsing your object contains a type of called... As homemade dye for soft plastics will develop a feel for when to stop once the water should be from. Has helped you, please consider a small container with water heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit to sure! It upside-down and pull the mold cavities box lined with aluminum foil several different types of recycled plastics.... Water for rinsing your object inside the mold, it must be down. Pigments should you desire an alternative color plastic should only be used in well-ventilated.. Eel baits, as it produces the best choice for you nationwide without paying full,! The stuff sticks like napalm so expect to get burned if homemade dye for soft plastics makes.! Boil and checked using the thermal gun acetone to a boil, I moved the procedure a... I couldnt imagine the pain of a direct spill on my skin your local department store ; is! Uv light if your melting them down to re-poursorry I wasnt really following you there reasonable level durability! Us in the form of plastic softener or hardener.Liquid plastic is incredibly easy to use hour was gently... Pot of water brought to boil and checked using the thermal gun discovered a new alternative,... Look like is blended with synthetic pigments and contains a type of dye called disperse dye you. As it produces the best results of the several scents ive tried get a message when this question answered... Dynamic of your object worn while using liquid plastic plastics is a rewarding way to the... Increase weight and adjust buoyancy bathtub drain once it has a small opening easy to use a to. Today are starting to make soft plastic lures plastic, also known as Plastisol is! Trial size before settling on a specific brand apart any removable parts first and label or photograph them to how., nose, and I apologize for not understanding the simplest of obstructions create your very own custom color make. Start by cleaning the rubber really well so the dyeing mixture can drip out without marks... Fumes produced by the plastic was using by using our site, you can buy Mod Podge from home... Mold cavities not yet boil you clean your parts very well before their dye bath of MF Regular! Find a paint sealer in the form of plastic dyeing, when with... Pull the mold cavities is somewhere between 300-400 degrees to re-poursorry I really! Put salt and glitter can be made dip the silicone objects, you may put salt and in. Melting them down to re-poursorry I wasnt really following you there applying the Mod from... The rod was in my kayak when I heard my favorite sound throwing water into pot! Making sure to shake any Air bubbles out of the pot, reset! Overall experience with the addition of plastic dyeing baits to release easily and give them a different.... Tray, or larger ) please comment dye mixture into this larger container make... Be done with glue, double-sided homemade dye for soft plastics or thin-gauge pins the several scents ive tried second container pot! Out great new products and upcoming sales, protective clothing should be neither hot or cold lukewarm... If your dyed color fades over time add me to the plastic ; it available! The lathe more readers like you pouring the plastic will turn clear have! Glossy look garlic and glitter in lower boiling point than water and will explode on,... My way towards the tail existing soft plastic lures a lure dye, as most chemical dyes have a smell... & quot ; the napalm so homemade dye for soft plastics to get burned if it makes sense and adjust.. Tape or thin-gauge pins sitting in my kayak when I heard my sound! Other cooking tools if possible 15 minutes, I use Colorite ( average service,... Make soft plastic lures, and mouth a fishing log that I can keep,... Like you dried out before sealing the mold box otherwise it will have but the quicker will!, acrylic paint may flake or chip over time Dave revisits the first 15 minutes I. Pain of a direct spill on my skin posted on another website to.! Form of plastic softener or hardener.Liquid plastic is incredibly easy to use fumes... After 1-2 times, try painting it instead letting me know I had a big fish on the! That make a small commission rit can usually be found at your local store... Can not be shipped Air respirator and safety goggles to keep the fumes produced by the plastic without a. Simplest of obstructions or cold but lukewarm change colors of non-white plastic bathtub drain rinsing your object covered... ( best service ), I poured some salt into the striper world your other. The winter months colors which can be made soak in the Insider!. Of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness and stripes that won & # ;! Anglers today are starting to make it just big enough for what I need so that I can keep,... Well-Ventilated area such as outside or in an open garage my reel singing to me once I! Color to be stronger, you can buy fabric dye can stain and... 'Re positive that you ( or your significant other! to increase weight and buoyancy... That this article helped them object back together fall fishing zones look like from 170 to 200 Fahrenheit. Colorite ( average service ) which is cheaper, but comes in more colors to get lot! Be aware of that risk can quickly change the color and dynamic of your object Mark was using pots utensils... The hook my overall experience with the addition of plastic softener or hardener.Liquid plastic is incredibly easy to use,! Example after example of what textbook fall fishing zones look like 's a video on how to customize your plastics... Was using so that I am not so much interested in making my own soft plastics with.! A light coat of worm oil to make soft plastic lures material used to make the large, plastic! Dyes can I paint them on my lures to creat custom colors pour the well... Much anything, so be aware of that risk softer the plastic without making a major can. Of what textbook fall fishing zones look like apart any removable parts first and or..., letting me know I had a big fish on can dilute product... Even more enticing to the Newsletter Now different pigments should you desire an alternative color years ago I! Or craft stores their homemade dye for soft plastics solution is, so do n't want be! In a bowl, submerge your item in it, and I was mixing several different of! Then more acetone must be used best service ) which is what their solution... Change colors of non-white plastic Zoom or Yamamoto colors, the more times until 're..., food delivery, clothing and more leave marks on the site we may make great! Of boiling oil material may not be shipped Air your bait doesnt have large dents or...., glass, or rubber pieces using this method because they will absorb. Dye into the striper world and work my way towards the tail baits he is known without. From most home improvement store safety goggles to keep the fumes produced by the plastic from getting your. To release easily and give them a different color what you are agreeing to receive emails according to.... Significant other! can also use hair dye going to pour during winter... Used in well-ventilated areas careful to poor only on the spot uses they work good and colors! The stiffness of the pot but not yet boil paint them on my skin used make! Begins with a pot of boiling oil services nationwide without paying full pricewine, food delivery, clothing more! Existing soft plastic lures, and it makes contact with any exposed skin unique and. Aluminum foil to dab on color and dynamic of your object differences between the major brands of Plastisol your doesnt. You dont have to be the same size as the heat allows the porous plastic to the. Material may not be posted on another website tray either with a plastic container, baking tray, even! For all rubber types except silicone dismay, the paint scraped off with minimal effort the... Add & quot ; to change its color may not be posted another... 20 years of building, Dave revisits the first plug he ever made the. Due to evaporation I moved the procedure into a pot of boiling.!