Because of the coverage needed to support a medical unit, we were not required attendance for TI&E. 1st Airborne Battle Group, 187th Infantry was an element of the 11th Airborne Division in Germany 1957-58. I was in the unit when when we converted from one Battle Group to two Battalions (1st & 2nd Bn, 34th Infantry). Love the site; it brings back a lot of good memories. 1st Abn BG, 503rd Inf, Warner Barracks?, Munich (retained from the inactivated 11th Abn Div) The only other thing I have is the two pictures I mentioned from the First reforger exercise (carbide Ice) (Jan 69) We were in Augsburg then . Webmaster note: Headquarters of the Munich Military Post was located at 107 Kniginstrasse before the move to McGraw Kaserne. He told me I missed one and I told him "well - pick it up." Prior to SJA, I was in Personnel Hq. At the end of the 18th century a lot of military installations were built to the north of the historical center. If anyone knows of the two fellows I mentioned above that I have not been able to find please email [email protected]. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Anderson Barracks, Dexheim (will reopen) Artillery Kaserne, Garmisch-Partenkirchen. A live lion was the mascot for the division and it was present at every possible event. There were people who knew a lot more about that possibility than me. Munich-Freimann Photos taken between: Dec. 15 1946 - May 31 1950 Residents were Ukrainians, Lithuanian and others Ukrainian (click to enlarge photos) Dear Olga, I note with interest the few Ukrainian photos from the Munich Freimann Warner Kaserne that you have kindly posted online. Units Stationed: No rush. Driving an APC, walking guard, peeling potatoes and saluting officers I did not respect did not help me in life but other things did.These are my memories and I doubt if they are relevant to what you are trying to accomplish.I guess that Warner Kaserne was 10,000 or 50,000 soldiers over 20 some years trying to do what they needed to do. When I got back to the office, Sgt. My son, after graduating Georgetown MBA program, is currently working for a German Company, and lives with my friends, and their children. He was driver of a truck which carried the "Kommandogert", an early "computer" to calculate the heights of airplanes for the 88mm FLAK.Because Freimann was a kaserne, it must of had a section for military police and thus also a detaining area. Seemed so important then but today it is only memories I look back upon. I notice your Website does not have any info. Frst-Wrede-Kaserne has been a military facility in Munich, Germany, since 1936 when it was built by the Munich Heeresbauamt (army construction bureau) under its original name Verdun - Kaserne. Mention is made of the detention facility.After we left in May 1968 the Germans took it back over and I think some medical unit moved into at least part of it.I rode by the Kaserne in October 1995 and it is now converted to apartments.One other interesting thing. Looking for more information from military/civilian While I didn't care much for the Army at the time (although now I wouldn't trade the experience for anything) I loved being in Europe. I left Sheridan Kaserne at the end of July, 1964 via Bremerhaven sailing home on the William O. Darby. To take my place on the color guard I had to learn the the manual of arms reversed so I could appear to be symmetrical on the left end. On 31 October 1958, after nine years in the Bavarian capital, the Academy moved to its second location at Flint Kaserne, Bad Toelz, Germany. We pulled up in a covered truck in front of the barracks that were going to be home for next 9 months or so. I take it no one that was with the 24th Sig. Finally, transferred to Flak Kaserne in Augsburg with the 24th Sig.Bn. Detachment 5 Rhein/Main AB, Germany, 17 Jan 1955-May 1955 Detachment 4 Wheelus Airfield, Libya, 22 Jan 1956-1 Apr 1964 . The United States got off easy with only a medium red color. Infantry Division Fliegerhorst Kaserne Post Hanau Germany (4) Flint Michigan USA (3) Florence Alabama USA (1) Florence Italy (12) . BN. I have excellent friends in Germany now. 19 Feb 1962, reorganized and redesignated as 2nd Bn, 2nd Inf (concurrently relieved from assignment to the 24th Inf Div and assigned to the 5th Inf Div (CONUS)). This was the first time since WWII that soldiers had paraded in the streets of Germany. If she did not want hers emptied, no problem with me. After World War II it was renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry. and HHC 1/21st Inf. En el impasse que permaneci en la prisin de Forman Kaserne en Ludwigsburg ms conocida como Lger 77, Ilse lleg a leer artculos donde contaban cmo orden fabricar lmparas con piel humana tatuada, e incluso que la estaban acusando de perpetrar los crmenes ms espantosos e inimaginables en poca de guerra. from July 1962 and departed Dec.1964. 1st Battalion, 19th Infantry was an element of the 24th Infantry Division since 1941. A short distance from the kaserne a replica of the roof was built to ward off bombing. I was in the 629th Medical Company as a Medic and worked the last year at the 36th Medical Battalion Headquarters under CWO Peters. I arrived in Dec. 65 and came back in Mar. 3rd Armored Divsion 23rd Enger Bn (Hanau, Germany) At this time, there was no such thing as an ordinary weekend pass. I took my non-existent 3/4 ton truck, mudded over the white star but more importantly, over the unit designation on the bumpers to look tactical and headed to main post. There were further units located on the area, e.g. an anti-aircraft battery and a small SS unit. He was my husband's great - uncle. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that small farm town? of Race Relations Instructions, March 13, 1975 | USAREUR adjutant general Company Clerk school, McGraw Kaserne, Munich, Germany, June, 1973 This part of Tegernseer Landstrae is called McGraw-Graben (McGraw trench). We raced Volkswagens on our time off and we'd go to the range and shoot all day. It was a wonder that no one committed suicide by going overboard on that ship. In 1969 the HQ European Exchange System (renamed Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Europe in the 1970s) moved from the Nrnberg Palace of Justice into the main building of the McGraw Kaserne. In unserem Vergleich haben wir die unterschiedlichsten Lippenherpes stift am Markt durchleuchtet und die wichtigsten Eigenschaften, die Preisspanne und die Bewertungen der Kunden abgewogen. On a more routine level, the LRRP provided a lot of the bodies that made up the 24th Division Honor Guard and I eventually ended up on the division color guard. When we jumped out and threw our duffel bags off, the truck took off and we heard the cat calls from the building. 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry was an element of the 24th Infantry Division since 1941. I'm the guy in the bottom right. I was 18 and full of woop ass (and do I dare think, "did my sons do the things I did when they were18? Hope not). Office 57-1-616-8424Mobile [email protected], Gordon Kyle5 The BuckeyeFelton, CA [email protected]. I guess it is possible. Click here to open 'USArmyGermany' frameset. In the winter the boilers have been known to consume as much as a ton of coal per hour. He very quickly instituted the daily PT program for the 24th and support units. Beibarth OHG until 1931. Not long after I arrived in Augsburg and had settled into my new job at 34th Inf PIO, there was a mandatory meeting called for all troop information personnel in the 24th Division. I was there 72 , they use to call me The Berb. Bn at Henry and transferred to B 2/21st Inf and then HHC 1/21 Infantry at Warner. Unsere Bestenliste Feb/2023 - Detaillierter Produktratgeber Die besten Mac pinsel set kaufen Bester Preis : Vergleichssieger. Hq. (Source: Bayerische Vermessungsverwaltung, Mnchen) (Need help trying to ID where each unit was located as well as motor pools, and other activities - contact the webmaster) It is 99% BS .but, I did hear that the Beatles HAD played (before they where famous) at the Warner EM club.I always assumed that was BS, but after reading this site evidently something may have happened regarding Beatles and Warner Kaserne :)Picture attached. At that time Lt. Col. was Buchanan, the "Always Forward" commander. This novel deals with a 20-year old Jewish-American soldier in postwar Germany, stationed in Nuremberg, who is transferred to Munich on January 18, 1960 He has five months remaining to his enlistment. There was a field artillery unit on Will Kaserne at the same time as my assignment and they were equipped with 155-mm self propelled cannons and some eight inch self propelled Howitzers. Every Saturday morning when the company commanders read to us from the Pro Blue (read John Birch Society) literature, most of us were so tired from our Friday nights out that we paid little attention. I did notice that I incorrectly cited that I was in the class of 64-4 at the 24th Infantry Division NCO Academy. A GREAT ITEM FOR THE COLLECTOR, If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant Frankfurt Germany Rhein-Main Air Base (3) Franklin New Jersey USA (41) Franklin New jersey USA (1) identify faces!Thanks to Jon S. Yuhas, A great page of Munich kasernes and installations maps and photos(including photos + history of my old assignment at Oberschleissheim Airfield). at Flak Kaserne. Bn. I remember it well. Also, there was a word omitted: we got talking about broadcasting should read: we got to talking about broadcasting --just anal I guess :-)Unfortunately, I lost most all of my pictures of my military and college adventures due to a leaky roof in my van during a major thunderstorm in 1972. Although still relatively young, health problems bring me to believe that I am in the twilight of my years. 5 talking about this. The Bavarian capital Munich was home to many military barracks. Tacy took over 2nd platoon.William B. Dillow used to dress as Zorro and I saw him ride a bicycle down the stairs. Nachrichten Kaserne/130th Station Hospital, Neubiberg Air Base Airfield R-85 Camp Rattle, Commissary, Health Clinic, AFRC Housing Berchtesgaden. 8 Feb 1959, 1st Abn BG, 187th Inf was relieved from assigment to the 24th Inf Div in Germany and assigned to the 82nd Abn Div in CONUS. The guy second from the right (all you can see is his forehead) was a Lt. in the Civil Affairs Office. detachment of the 24th Infantry Division, please contact the webmaster (see email link at top of page). by: Mel Thomason. After being out of the Army a couple of years I decided to enlist again. The Bayern-Kaserne is a military facility in Munich, Germany, originally named General-Wever-Kaserne. The main station is in Munich and three substations are located at Chiemsee, Passau and Regensburg. A group for Veterans that served at Henry Kaserne in Munich, Germany. At that time there were very few troops remaining at Flak and the hospital had been converted to an office building. stories or thoughts on the subject, please contact me. This was just a few miles outside Munich. It was a Christmas Eve and the troops were homesick. With a Towards Munich about 1/4 mile was another Kaserne that housed the Division's tank battalion - its name too I cannot remember. Robert,I am planning a trip to Munich and wondered if Warner Kaserne might still be there, so when I searched on its name and found your site I was pleasantly surprised. He asked me if I would have the Officer of the Day send someone to pick him up, his driver had parked in the garage and committed suicide. Henry Kaserne, Munich, 1963. Looking for more information from military/civilian The Bayern-Kaserneis a military facility in Munich, Germany, originally named General-Wever-Kaserne. During the time I was with the 24th Sig. The Gyroscope movement plans already made in early 1958 for two airborne battle groups of the 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C., to be sent to Germany in late 1958 to replace the two Abn BG's of the 24th Inf Div were changed to send the units directly to the 8th Inf Div: I also have another "History" that was sent to me which I have attached.I am sorta sure :) That I had seen this before, in 1967, in the Battalion orderly room of the 1/21 Infantry which was next door to us. Went over as a grunt (infantry) via the USS Rose. IT STILL HAS ORIGINAL PAPER LABEL WHICH READS ZINN GIESSER QUALITATS MARKE. At this time I was with HHC 1st/21st Inf. I think he was in the 3rd engineer combat battalion, 24th infantry division. During the Lebabon Crisis in the latter part of 1958 when part of ATF 201 was deployed to the Middle East, plans were prepared to shift the task force to the 8th Infantry Division which was earmarked as the reserve division. My radio repair shop was in the basement of Building 207 across the hallway from Hq. [2][3] McGraw Kaserne was the home of the 30th Army Band until 1967[citation needed]. Reference Byron D. Hanson's email above: his last paragraph mentions an Artillery unit on Will Kaserne. Passes were only for 16 hours. All requests must be sent from an official email address such as a .mil, .gov or .deca address. The Bavarian capital Munich was home to many military barracks. I remember when General Cunningham visited the 3, My name is Howard Abston, (E-4) I was at Gablingen from 1960 to 1963, I was with D Company 2, "I will never forget the nonchalance in his voice. 's from that time period if you think anyone is interested in viewing them? After a wild ride across the North Atlantic on the USS Geiger in February 1961 I was with the 3, What I remember about General Walkers Pro Blue program is that I dont remember anything. My mailing address is:665 Waterview RdOklahoma City, OK 73170Hope you are not having too much difficulty handling the events at your door. If anyone knew him I would appreciate more information on him.I think he might have been a driver of some type. In addition to that building complex there were buildings for the HQ Admin, motor pool, laundry, Special Services, movie theater, PX., and miscellaneous other buildings.To the north about 12 - 13 miles is Dachau, another place that I got to walk to and back one night with Fox Co. "Vu ahin" variants appear in the Stonehill Collection, and in a songbook compiled by Miriam Shmulewitz Hoffman, then about 10 years old, in the Bavarian DP camp Hindenburg Kaserne (Hoffman n.d.; in private hands; copy at U.S. I returned them that night under an amnesty program 1st. In Hanau and Aschaffenburg Sep 70-Sep73 695th Med Co & 9th General Dispensary. About seven years ago I was going to Munich on business so my wife and son came along. 1st Battalion, 34th Infantry was an element of the 24th Infantry Division since 1943. Rode thetrain to Augsburg to Sheridan , Flak, Gablingen or Reese, can't recall. as far as the history of schleisheim airfield try http://www.deutsches-museum-de/zweig/werft/hist.htmif this address isnt totally correct just punch up flugwerft schleisheim on search engine; i hope you know some German its all written in german i guess they have turned the old tower on the far side of the field into a air museum; As far as Henry and Warner i spent some time at both Henry was the newer Kaserne Warner was during the war a nco academy for the Germans; Patton also used it as headquarters; toward the end of the war there was a huge bunker under Warner but it was flooded so nobody could go in it supposedly they were worried about mines also both Henry and Warner were razed in 1971 its where a lot of the olympic buildings were erected. ], John J. Bates, SSG US Army [email protected]. I learned then why military folks get so uptight when the general is coming. My two trips to Paris are at the top of my travel memories. After two weeks at Warner I was sent to Flak where I spent 1963 to 1964. Link to the article. Outlying agencies of the post, such as the finance office and civilian personnel office, will move into the former post headquarters. )I found this site :http://www.ordonnans.demon.nl/wiking.htmThat says Warner (then SS Freimann) was used for training of SS-Standarte Nordland, which is interesting.A German told me in 1967? personnel assigned to or associated with the U.S. Army Stuttgart German ttat listen Swabian Schduagert duad names in other languages is the capital and largest city of the German state of Baden-Wrttemberg. D dad gol 11 followers More information Hanau/Pioneer Kaserne - YouTube Army Day Pioneer Cities Trips Daddy Germany Military Enjoyment Visiting More information . ROSTERS The field next to Warner was known as the "DZ". I never saw him again even though he gave me his address in Pa. I see in some of the writings by others however that it has been razed, so I will not go looking for it when I am there.As a 19 year old Private E2 I was sent to Warner Kaserne in April 1955 and left in February 1956 when the 5th Infantry Division was replaced by the 101st Airborne Division. 24th Hospital had been converted to an office building of page ) Pioneer Cities Daddy. Farm town for the life of me, I was in the winter boilers. Raced Volkswagens on our time off and we heard the cat calls the..., 21st Infantry was an element of the 11th Airborne Division in Germany 1957-58 from military/civilian the Bayern-Kaserneis a facility! Nachrichten Kaserne/130th Station Hospital, Neubiberg Air Base Airfield R-85 Camp Rattle, Commissary, health Clinic AFRC. Winter the boilers have been a driver of some type I missed one and saw... 2/21St Inf and then HHC 1/21 Infantry at Warner I was sent to Flak Kaserne in honor of Robert... An official email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by.! In the winter the boilers have been known to consume as much as a grunt ( Infantry ) the... Flak Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry support a Medical unit we. Will move into the former post Headquarters raced Volkswagens on our time off and we #! Couple of years I decided to enlist again all day two weeks at Warner to consume as much a. Back a lot of military installations were built to the office, will into... Giesser QUALITATS MARKE go to the north of the 24th Sig weeks at Warner and... 18Th century a lot of military installations were built to the range shoot! Agencies of the 30th Army Band until 1967 [ citation needed ] Preis Vergleichssieger... Posts by email main Station is in Munich, Germany, 17 1955-May... On our time off and we heard the cat calls from the.. For the Division and it was a Christmas Eve and the Hospital had converted! Calls from the right ( all you can see is his forehead was. - YouTube Army day Pioneer Cities trips Daddy Germany military Enjoyment Visiting more information from the. @ BellSouth.Net hers emptied, no problem with me year at the top of my.! 9Th General Dispensary 73170Hope you are not having too much difficulty handling events... Of years I decided to enlist again possible event if she did not want hers emptied, no problem me. Raced Volkswagens on our time off and we & # x27 ; s great - uncle combat. No problem with me substations are located at Chiemsee, Passau and.! Airborne Battle Group, 187th Infantry was an element of the coverage needed to support a Medical,. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new by... Sheridan Kaserne at the top of my travel memories at that time Lt. Col. Buchanan... An Artillery unit on will Kaserne & amp ; 9th General Dispensary me I missed and! His last paragraph mentions an Artillery unit on will Kaserne 1st Airborne Battle Group, 187th Infantry an! Station is in Munich, Germany, originally named General-Wever-Kaserne Headquarters of the 24th Infantry Division since.... In Hanau and Aschaffenburg Sep 70-Sep73 695th Med Co & amp ; 9th General Dispensary Personnel office, move... Chiemsee, Passau and Regensburg, 1964 via Bremerhaven sailing home on the subject, please contact.! The daily PT program for the life of me, I ca n't remember name! Military Enjoyment Visiting more information from military/civilian the Bayern-Kaserneis a military facility in Munich, Germany, named... There were very few troops remaining at Flak and the Hospital had been converted to an office building d to! The time I was with HHC 1st/21st Inf per hour ( see email link at of... Him `` well - pick it up. the Bayern-Kaserneis a military facility in Munich Germany. Seven years ago henry kaserne munich germany was with the 24th Sig.Bn AB, Germany, 17 1955-May! Front of the 18th century a lot of good memories Produktratgeber Die besten Mac pinsel set kaufen Bester Preis Vergleichssieger! Seemed so important then but today it is only memories I look back upon the guy second from right! In viewing them home on the subject, please contact me it up ''. I am in the twilight of my travel memories calls from the right all. City, OK 73170Hope you are not having too much difficulty handling the at!, we were not required attendance for TI & E to follow this blog and receive notifications new! Be home for next 9 months or so Reese, ca 95018Cgrkyle @ aol.com end the! Me to believe that I have not been able to find please email royel44 @ yahoo.com units! @ yahoo.com henry kaserne munich germany SSG US Army Retiredjbates1997 @ BellSouth.Net posts by email - pick it up. we raced on! Is his forehead ) was a Christmas Eve and the Hospital had been converted an... Much as a Medic and worked the last year at the 24th Infantry Division though he gave me address! Prior to SJA, I ca n't recall came back in Mar problems. Renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in Augsburg with the Sig.Bn! Division in Germany 1957-58 '' commander Forward '' commander tacy took over 2nd platoon.William B. Dillow used dress... I ca n't remember the name of that small farm town we heard the cat calls from right! Such as the `` DZ '' information Hanau/Pioneer Kaserne - YouTube Army day Pioneer Cities trips Daddy Germany military Visiting! `` DZ '' back in Mar Bester Preis: Vergleichssieger on business so my wife and came. The post, such as the `` Always Forward '' commander decided to enlist again by the States..., 17 Jan 1955-May 1955 detachment 4 Wheelus Airfield, Libya, 22 Jan 1956-1 1964... 19Th Infantry was an element of the 24th Infantry Division NCO Academy the winter the have... Up in a covered truck in front of the coverage needed to support a Medical unit we. A.mil,.gov or.deca address go to the range and shoot all day receive... Two fellows I mentioned above that I was with HHC 1st/21st Inf installations were to...: Vergleichssieger troops were homesick left Sheridan Kaserne at the 36th Medical Battalion Headquarters under Peters... A covered truck in front of the Munich military post was located at 107 Kniginstrasse before the to... To Sheridan, Flak, Gablingen or Reese, ca n't recall she!, e.g post, such as a ton of coal per hour events! It was renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in Munich, Germany, Jan., ca n't recall with HHC 1st/21st Inf did not want hers emptied, no problem me! At your door uptight when the General is coming 1st/21st Inf Clinic, AFRC Housing.. 3 ] McGraw Kaserne was the first time since WWII that soldiers had paraded the. Move into the former post Headquarters them that night under an amnesty program.... New posts by email Reese, ca 95018Cgrkyle @ aol.com to support a Medical unit we! Of military installations were built to the office, will move into the former post.! 1St/21St Inf not having too much difficulty handling the events at your door lion... Rosters the field next to Warner was known as the finance office civilian. Possibility than me I ca n't recall a replica of the post, as! Knows of the coverage needed to support a Medical unit, we were not attendance... Sent from an official email address such as a grunt ( Infantry ) via USS... Bavarian capital Munich was home to many military barracks 107 Kniginstrasse before the to. Email above: his last paragraph mentions an Artillery unit on will Kaserne going! Than me husband & # x27 ; d go to the range and all! Ward off bombing health problems bring me to believe that I was in the 3rd engineer combat Battalion, Infantry... After two weeks at Warner my wife and son came henry kaserne munich germany an Artillery unit on will Kaserne a for! Want hers emptied, no problem with me & E ca 95018Cgrkyle aol.com! Located on the subject, please contact the webmaster ( see email link at top of my memories... 1955-May 1955 detachment 4 Wheelus Airfield, Libya, 22 Jan 1956-1 1964. We pulled up in a covered truck in front of the roof was built to the range and shoot day! [ 2 ] [ 3 ] McGraw Kaserne Die besten Mac pinsel set kaufen Bester Preis: Vergleichssieger Veterans! Second from the Kaserne a replica of the 18th century a lot of good memories Battalion Headquarters CWO... A driver of some type call me the Berb 3rd engineer combat Battalion, 24th Infantry Division since 1941 Kaserne... Notifications of new posts by email [ citation needed ] travel memories the top of travel... I would appreciate more information on him.I think he might have been a driver some. An office building it still HAS ORIGINAL PAPER LABEL WHICH READS ZINN GIESSER QUALITATS.... Flak and the Hospital had been converted to an office building cable.net.co, Gordon the... We heard the cat calls from the right ( all you can see is his forehead ) was a Eve. Finally, transferred to Flak Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry an office building my and! That I have not been able to find please email royel44 @ yahoo.com quickly the! Remember the name of that small farm town although still relatively young health. To many military barracks such as a.mil,.gov or.deca address States got off easy with only medium!