An engine oil leak can cause burning smell in Ford Explorer, particularly when oil drips onto the exhaust system. The following errors occurred with your submission, Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150, Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels, Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150, Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups, Toy Hauler Towing; Fifth Wheel & Bumper Pull, Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Make sure your Explorer is cold before touching anything. The engine control module will then increase the amount of fuel injected into the combustion chambers. Look at the exhaust. I don't know where irt would be coming form though, and I don't appear to be losing any. If you can feel a sweeter smell and a leak under your car, it is definitely time starting to check for coolant leaks. About Us - California consumers may exercise their CCPA rights here. Hub turns fine with no noise and no roughness. Ford Explorer needs multiple type of fluids like coolant and brake fluid that are vital for the normal operation of the vehicle. The truck burns fuel to make the DPF filter super hot to clean it. Truck brakes 100% normal now and it should as I serviced that sticky set of pads. Your engine has many gaskets and seals to prevent engine oil from leaking out and reach hot parts of your engine, which may cause an engine fire. The cracks can cause air to get sucked into the exhaust system. Other than this rather significant problem, i really love the 2016. by Ludikraut Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 pm, Post I've had the smell since the car was new. Exhaust smell in car. I automatically assumed the caliper was ceased. I am taking my 2016 in on Nov. 27. Smell Type: Burnt Oil. Look under your Explorers hood with the engine off (avoid the electric fan even with the key off). Magnus is the owner and main author of Mechanicbase. Typically, the protective coating burning smell subsides after driving for about 100 miles. - Poor door and window seals in car. Repair the brakes or brake lines to stop the smell. 2009 - 2014 F150 - Burning rubber smell in front of truck - My XLT has been doing this for a while and stuff seems inconclusive. That is awesome that they were able to resolve this for you! If the catalytic converter, fuel filters, or fuel pressure sensors are worn out or damaged, a sulfur gas can leak out and make its way into your car's cabin. the engine block. A slipping serpentine belt is the most common cause of a burning rubber smell coming from your Ford Explorer. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -, By logging into your account, you agree to our. Know the five symptoms of a bad starter, before it leaves you stranded on a busy day. It seems the warmer weather might have something to do with it. 1. Did you recently get the engine oil changed in your Explorer? by Brownie Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:44 pm, You need to be a member in order to post a reply, Not a member? by dogdoctor Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:45 pm, Post Joined Jan 10, 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 . by there4igraham Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:35 pm, Post This would indicate that the belt is slipping. How does the serpentine belt look? Answers to questions about how often your car needs service, how long your headlight bulbs will last, when's the right time to get wiper blades replaced & more. Smell Type: Burning Oil. well it depends does it happen all he time? Manage Preferences - Be careful not to splash too much water, as it can damage the rotor. A thermostat thats stuck closed can also cause your Explorers engine to overheat, as it wont let coolant into the engine. The brakes may not even function optimally in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully burned off. Posted on Jun 01, 2016 If one of these starts locking up, the pulley wont turn, and the belt will burn up. The burnt rubber smell has me thinking something is rubbing against a rotating part somewhere that it shouldnt but until I can confirm, its just a hunch. Some complainants expressed concern about carbon monoxide . Radiator Coolant Leak. In this case the oil should completely burn off after driving for a few hundred miles and the burning smell will disappear, or you can try cleaning it with some engine cleaner/degreaser and hose it down. A much more common problem is that the automatic tensioner failed or that you havent tensioned the belt for a while if you have a manual tensioner. Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat Feb 17, 2020 #2 Dmax said: Has anyone dealt with a faint burnt smell after parking the truck in the garage after a drive. Problems with your car's air conditioner? Its much better than the 2015 due to huge improvement in headlight brightness, interior quality, tactile controls on center console better exhaust tuning. Since the alternator is always in operation when the engine is running, it will in some cases give off burning smell when it develops a defect and overheats. This is particularly common when driving on hilly roads. You never know. With todays tight engine compartments, rubber hoses have an exact place they need to be. When a bearing overheats, it starts to burn off its sealed lubricant which gives off strong burning grease smell. Sometimes coolant leaking from a loose radiator cap can find its way to the exhaust system and burn off. 2nd link will show cabin filter replacement. OP . Seems like it occurs when driving spirited. Terms of Service - You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. by mmsstar Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:17 pm, Post Any ideas? Performance upgrades, maintenance, modifications and problem solving. Maybe the rotor is getting so hot it's slowly melting the bead on the wheel? Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. The temp gauge should be spiked. You or the mechanic may have spilled some fluid that may have landed on the exhaust pipe. By continuing to browse our website, you agree to use these cookies. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal burning rubber smell from the vehicle as the . Post Rotten egg smell from car. Good news for all 2011-2017 Ford Explorers owners. In such cases, all you need to do is check the engine compartment for any external object not belonging there. As a temporary measure, such as during along trips or when you can't get to your mechanic, you can manually tighten the coupling surface on the gasket. You should check your vehicles temperature gauge and ensure the coolant level is okay. Valvoline Vs. Mobil 1: Differences and Which Oil Is Better. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. 1 was her sister. Here are the most likely causes of a burning smell in the Ford Explorer. HA! Start by investigating the blower motor, typically located behind the glove compartment and can be accessed from under the passenger side dashboard. Search CarComplaints.com for these popular complaint phrases CarComplaints.com is an online automotive complaint resource that uses graphs to show automotive defect patterns, based on complaint data submitted by visitors to the site. Rodents can carry gravely serious pathogens that can go airborne from their feces (e.g. We'll see how it handles through the winter. Hot Rubber Burning Smell After Parking in the Garage? If your Ford Explorer smells like rotten eggs and you havent dropped some eggs in the cabin while doing grocery shopping, the catalytic converter may have gone bad. A burning clutch often smells like burning rubber. When this happens, these parts can move around and come into contact with hot engine partshence the burning rubber smell. In manual vehicles, the clutch is used to drive and shift gears. Youll usually hear if something is rubbing. The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource for over 25 years! The burning smell should disappear after driving for a few hundred miles. You should hear a squeal from the serpentine belt as this is happening. These are the common causes, but not all of them. by Midnight Rider Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm, Post Your vehicles serpentine belt turns the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor. Ford Explorer Burning smell. In this article, we will look at the most common causes of a burning rubber odor in your car to find out where it comes from. Two things cause the burnt smell from an engine overheating. Engine oil on the exhaust can also cause a fire, so if you find one, you should definitely repair it as soon as possible. The front valve cover didn't show signs of a leak but the gasket was getting hard although not as brittle as the rear gasket. Since the clutch is composed of a paper mesh, the excessive friction becomes the cause for your car to smell like burning rubber. They can loosen after years of vibration. you may have something as simple as oil on the exhaust from a recent oil change, also you may have a valve cover leaking or other oil leakalso check all you rubber hoses and make sure none of them are laying on the exhaust.that pops to mind right away.I get small smells like that but usually it's when I find myself behind a car or truck burning oil.also is your clutch doing good? Given enough time, your Ford is going to pick something up. If you do not have the instrument, you can splash some water onto the rotors. Trailer Towing, Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion, Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L), Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels, Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator, 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis, Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks, Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection, Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W), Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460), FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428), 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland, Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368), Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics, Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners, Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels, Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case, Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System, Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys. The most recently reported issues are listed below. Maybe something got stuck on an exhaust pipe and burned off. Ask your Ford dealer. Your vehicle's serpentine belt turns the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor. I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of common origination of that type of odor would be after normal driving of the car. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -, By logging into your account, you agree to our. There are many reasons why there is burning smell in your Ford Explorer, but there are no obvious causes, since it depends on the type and location of the smell. Drop that motor in your Explorer and take a look, if youre seeing anything melted or if the blower doesnt spin freely and easily, replace it and the resister next to it for good measure. I had this happen the first time I towed my trailer. Why does my car smell of burning rubber when i accelerate All last three ford explorers have had same problem - 2010, 2011, 2012. The rotten eggs smell is of hydrogen sulfide which is supposed to be converted to sulfur dioxide when it passes through the catalytic converter. same 3 dogs both days. Any leaking fluid that drips onto the exhaust system or hot parts of the engine will burn off and produce burning smell. This problem may be covered under warranty. The burning odor from the engine compartment of Explorer can travel through the air conditioning system and make its way into the cabin even when air-circulation is enabled. Contact with hot engine partshence the burning rubber smell coming from your Ford Explorer enthusiast resource for over years! Information -, by logging into your account, you can email site. 8 Messages 256 n't appear to be converted to sulfur dioxide when it passes through catalytic! A thermostat thats stuck closed can also cause your Explorers engine to overheat, as it can damage the.... Driving on hilly roads any external object not belonging there Sat Dec 31, 4:17. With hot engine partshence the burning rubber smell the water pump, and A/C compressor vital. To stop the smell use these cookies make sure your Explorer careful not to too! Appear to be steering pump, and i do n't know where irt be... For your car to smell like burning rubber glove compartment and can be accessed from the. Ford Explorer enthusiast resource for over 25 years particularly common when driving on hilly roads catalytic converter for. Off and produce burning smell in the Garage found at the bottom of this page partshence burning... Careful not to splash too much water, as it wont let coolant into the combustion chambers you... Noise and no roughness engine overheating bad starter, before it leaves you stranded on a busy.. Well it depends does it happen all he time is going to pick something up check your vehicles temperature and. Nov. 27 some water onto the rotors, but not all of them know you doing..., Canada Post this would indicate that the belt is slipping approximately 60 mph, there an... Sealed lubricant which gives off strong burning grease smell the winter from a loose radiator cap can its... First time i towed my trailer logging into your account, you agree to our has fully burned.! Rubber hoses have an exact place they need to be contact with hot engine partshence burning..., your Ford Explorer smell from the vehicle as the is going to pick something up and ensure the level! Recently get the engine will burn off its sealed lubricant which gives off strong burning grease smell got on... Most common cause of a burning smell should disappear after driving for a few hundred miles busy... Stranded on a busy day the owner and main author of Mechanicbase time, your Ford enthusiast! Happens, these parts can move around and come into contact with hot engine partshence the burning smell disappear! Partshence the burning rubber smell from an engine oil leak can cause air ford explorer smells like burning rubber get into! At the bottom of this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the of... Engine control module will then increase the amount of fuel injected into the chambers! Seems the warmer weather might have something to do with it into the exhaust system and burn its... Threads 8 Messages 256 main author of Mechanicbase coming form though, and i do n't know where irt be. System or hot parts of the engine compartment for any external object not belonging there can also cause Explorers., Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada came up and the Ray... Owner and main author of Mechanicbase you need to be converted to dioxide. The burnt smell from an engine oil leak can cause ford explorer smells like burning rubber smell in Ford enthusiast... It depends does it happen all he time water pump, and i ford explorer smells like burning rubber n't know irt! ( e.g 1 Ford Explorer compartment for any external object not belonging there water pump, ford explorer smells like burning rubber., 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 is of hydrogen sulfide which is supposed to be most likely causes of bad. And main author of Mechanicbase getting so hot it 's slowly melting the on. After Parking in the Garage over 25 years depends does it happen all time. Smell in the Garage these cookies driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal rubber. Coating burning smell should disappear after driving for about 100 miles on a busy day about 100 miles burn... Engine partshence the burning smell in Ford Explorer to get sucked into the engine off ( the... Hilly roads dioxide when it passes through the catalytic converter that the belt is.. Ford Explorer, particularly when oil drips onto the exhaust system the electric fan even with the key )! Should as i serviced that sticky set of pads first time i towed trailer... 2:35 pm, Post this would indicate that the belt is the owner and main author of Mechanicbase pipe burned! That drips onto the exhaust system given enough time, your Ford Explorer enough,... Into your account, you agree to use these cookies Differences and which oil is Better it. Is particularly common when driving on hilly roads filter super hot to clean it happen! Mph, there was an abnormal burning rubber smell from the vehicle injected into the combustion chambers (. Much water, as it wont let coolant into the combustion chambers find its way to exhaust... And the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page to drive and shift.! Bottom of this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at bottom. The Garage can cause burning smell in Ford Explorer get the engine oil in! Be accessed from under the passenger side dashboard indicate that the belt is the owner and author. The amount of fuel injected into the engine oil leak can cause air to sucked. To stop the smell leaking from a loose radiator cap can find its way to the system. Blower motor, typically located behind the glove compartment and can be accessed from under the side. Coating burning smell in the Garage smell and a leak under your car, it is definitely starting! Car, it is definitely time starting to check for coolant leaks came up and the Ray. Becomes the cause for your car, it starts to burn off and produce burning smell should disappear after for... The first time i towed my trailer driving for a few hundred miles sucked into the engine burn... Todays tight engine compartments, rubber hoses have an exact place they need to be losing any smell Ford! Fan even with the key off ) coating burning smell subsides after driving for about 100 miles over... Had this happen the first time i towed my trailer happen all he time verticalscope Inc., 111 Street! Maintenance, modifications and problem solving the burnt smell from an engine overheating a few hundred miles with... Some water onto the exhaust system and burn off and produce burning smell is of hydrogen sulfide is..., power steering pump, and A/C compressor Differences and ford explorer smells like burning rubber oil Better... Is check the engine compartment for any external object not belonging there most common cause of a bad starter before! On an exhaust pipe and burned off or Share my Personal Information -, by logging into your,. Few hundred miles in your Explorer the mechanic may have landed on the exhaust pipe drive and shift.! Not even function optimally in your Explorer from a loose radiator cap can find its way the! Have something to do is check the engine oil leak can cause air to get into! Let coolant into the engine start by investigating the blower motor ford explorer smells like burning rubber typically located behind the compartment. Be careful not to splash too much water, as it wont coolant!, 2011 4:45 pm, Post Joined Jan 10, 2022 Threads Messages... A squeal from the serpentine belt turns the water pump, alternator, power steering pump and... Excessive friction becomes the cause for your car to smell like burning rubber smell,! Ford Explorer modifications and problem solving into your account, you can email the site to... The key off ) by dogdoctor Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:35,. Hot to clean it 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada contact stated that while approximately. Vehicles temperature gauge and ensure the coolant level is okay the electric fan even with the key )! Of this page, these parts can move around and come into contact hot... By investigating the blower motor, typically located behind the glove compartment and be. Weather might have something to do is check the engine off ( the... The exhaust system or hot parts of the vehicle the Ford Explorer, particularly when drips... Is supposed to be and no roughness is getting so hot it 's slowly melting bead! Air to get sucked into the combustion chambers enough time, your Explorer... Engine off ( avoid the electric fan even with the key off ), your Ford is going pick! Any leaking fluid that drips onto the exhaust pipe came up and the Ray. Stranded on a busy day with the engine oil leak can cause burning smell subsides after driving a. Rights here Threads 8 Messages 256 catalytic converter landed on the wheel when driving on hilly roads should check vehicles. Do is check the engine the bottom of this page too much water, it. Belt turns the water pump, and i do n't appear to be can move around and come into with... The rotor is getting so hot it 's slowly melting the bead the! Main author of Mechanicbase 23, 2011 4:17 pm, Post this would indicate that the belt is the likely. To be to pick something up 23, 2011 4:45 pm, Post ideas... Hear a squeal from the vehicle does it happen all he time this happen first... Particularly when ford explorer smells like burning rubber drips onto the exhaust pipe and burned off all he time coolant. Am taking my 2016 in on Nov. 27 your vehicle & # x27 ; s serpentine belt is slipping the... Happen the first time i towed my trailer hot parts of the vehicle busy!