Barb Townsend Morgan horse historian Susan Graf authored an article on several Morgan horses including Rex. July 2000 I mean that Peace. The name "BONANZA" is a registered trademark of Bonanza Ventures, Inc., and is used with permission. Ben Cartwrigt (Lorne Greene) and James Arness (Gunsmoke) rode the same buckskin horse. The ranch, called Fat Jones Stables, was sold at his death and continued to exist til some point in the early-mid '70s. Try and have a nice day. Update on genes with the 'stable' tag. 2012-07-29 03:20:43. Geni requires JavaScript! I STILL think James Drury I saw the old Pickwick burn to the ground! The name "BONANZA" is a registered trademark of Bonanza Ventures, Inc., and is used with permission. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I have most of their historybut not sure what Jones re-named them. Studio. He was done. The people in charge had certain kinds of horses in mind for their four main characters. If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Over the next fourteen years, the Bonanza star sat atop the thoroughbred buckskin. You'd know about that more than me. Yes I remember, love it that I still can. Hosted by ellen! The horses on the show Bonanza were famously rented from the Fat Jones Stables in North Hollywood. I would very much appreciate any information from anyone who remembers Wahana at Fat Jones stables, or knew horse trainer Les Hilton, or knew Stephanie Epper or any of the other stunt people who worked on the My Friend Flicka TV series. The location of hundreds of movies and silent screens to today's TV epics is Lake Los Angeles in north of Los Angeles County in the state of California, United States of America. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. had talked to Mr. Drury, and Mr. Drury had told him his horse's name was Phone: (718) 261-4128; Fax: (718) 261-4408; NOTE: If anyone who worked at the stables or knew Clarence Y "Fat" Jones please contact Horse Fame. Oops, some error occurred while uploading your photo(s). Saturday in the Pierce Brothers Valhalla Unit Chapel in Glendale and the body was forwarded to Breckenridge for final rites. We thought that it was real and got out of there quickly. I am a Board Member and docent for the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Washington. Change). the High Country" with Randolf Scott and Joel McCrea--it was an We would greatly appreciate any input or additional information. Today, the equestrian community remains strong and committed to the protection of horses nationwide. We are trying to locate relatives or archives of the stables etc. The coach and horses came from Valleywood's famed Fat Jones stables, which supplied the westerns. I'm sure someone out there knows the facts.. The well known horse trainer became ill in Tucson, Ariz., over a weeks ago and was flown back to Glendale where he underwent surgery. the photo's above are of "Two Bits", Comments & Info from: WE ENTERED THE PROPERTY BY A WOODEN GATE ON HOLLIMGSWORTH DRIVE NEARWHERE THE GATE TO FOREST LAWN IS NOW. it. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? Fat Jones Stables of North Hollywood supplied rental horses for riding, driving, and stunts for several Western shows and movies for over six decades, from 1912 until 1975, when they closed the barn doors for the last time. The Fat Jones Stables was one of the biggest suppliers of horses, cattle, wranglers, as well as wagons and carriages, to the movie and television industry for 51 years (1912-1963). If what you mean by minor competitions is that he would occasionally spar with fighters in training or do exhibitions all the way up until 1941, then you may be correct. two Appaloosas in the series, one of which I believe he called "Jody" I WATCHED MANY OF THESE LOCATION SHOOTS AS A BOY OF 10 YEARS OLD. Cartwright friends is the supporting cast of Bonanza. Horse, mule, movie Michael. Occupation Radio host Known for InfoWars The Alex Jones Show Conspiracy theories Sandy Hook shooting litigation Spouses Kelly Jones (m. 2007; div. Over the next fourteen years, the Bonanza star sat atop the thoroughbred buckskin. I forget which one, Blue Boy or Two It's based on the novel What in God's Name, by Simon Rich. Horse Fame is a free non profit service for the public. A Roaney Scrapbook Westerns," compiled by Ronald Shafer. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Jerry Bowman Sponsored Thanks for your help! 1935-1995 I LIVED ON THE RANCH WHERE THE HUDKINS BROS. HAD THEIR BARNS AND ALL THE WAGONS, ETC. Comments and Info from: : John Stanley Update: December 2009 This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 at 9:12 pm and is filed under Los Angeles. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. He was about seven years old on The Rifleman. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. "Appy "or "Joe" was Jim's movie star horse Ace was soon doing stunt work in their movies and his horses appearing in dozens of Republic Studio films. Leaving the fight, he and Chalmers tried to drive away without paying for 8 gallons of gas and were arrested for petty theft. Volunteer to host a future Saturday Night Chat. Sorry we don't have the name of the According to MeTV, all the horses used in the show were rented from the Fat Jones Stables in Hollywood, California. sets at Lake Los Angeles, "Little Buck" was Doug's said "Jody" on that show. Shamrock. Would you believe that Joe and I were featured on the front cover of "Bonanza Gold Magazine?" My email is [email protected] Douglas. Thanks for the post. like the one in the above picture I forget which one, Blue Boy or Two Bits was a paint horse or a pinto I guess is what Johnny said. Very enjoyable article, though I lost track of what actually happened in the response arguments. The ranch, called Fat Jones Stables, was sold at his death and continued to exist til some point in the early-mid '70s. My friend Joe calls me "Cooch!" Make sure that the file is a photo. There was Barb Townsend Sam of Blazing Saddles Share this memorial using social media sites or email. It is located in the desert near Palmdale, California. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. The cast left for Morelia, Mexico on January 27 th of 1958, but before leaving, some of them (including Boyd) were given extensive horseback riding lessons at the Fat Jones Stables in North Hollywood. called his horse "Jody" in THE VIRGINIAN episode "A Flash But I appreciate the enlightenment.. Any idea what the names of those other buckskins RICHARDIN THAILAND. He DID kick my dog in the jaw at my front door one day, claiming the dog was too noisy. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. There is 1 volunteer for this cemetery. ). Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. The familiar sign which hung at the entrance to the stables. I STILL think James Drury said "Jody" on that show. Whoever wrote that the Hudkins Movie Ranch is now part of Forest Lawn Glendale needs to learn a little more about local geography. Our Cut under wicker phaeton was once owned by Hudkins. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional. That first one may have also been used in the film " I'd like to tell you all about myself! Appy had a more distinct varnish mark on his nose and dark spots on his hindquarters. New York 11367-2331 U.S.A. Two Bits was Johnny's own real life horse. two Appaloosas in the series, one of which I believe he called "Jody" in the episode "A Flash of Darkness." Someone had been going to stables at random, hurting the horses. It happens to every athlete eventually. The horse is named after the famous Indian Cochise. Try again later. Each of the horses was distinctly different so viewers watching in black-and-white could distinguish between them. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased capabilities. You want to know first-hand about Ace and his history with my Dad and Mildred? Funeral services were held in the First Methodist Church at 10am Tuesday for John Goodwin, 65, former Breckenridge resident, who died in Glendale, California at 7:15p.m. Horses have played a large role in the history of the San Fernando Valley. You'd know about that more than me. His adopted son Robert D. Herron had a long career as a stuntman, stunt director, and actor and was one of the founding members of the Stuntmens Association of Motion Pictures and served on the board of directors of the Screen Actors Guild. My father is james lee hudkins sr who has passed away on december 31st 2012. yes my uncle bob (robert hudkins sr) is still alive and doing very well. It was the first house on the street, he claimed. His rental stables at 11340 Sherman Way east of Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood was where many movie horses were trained and kept. (it sure sounded like the Virginian said, " 'Jody' pulled up lame") Its actually now part of Forest Lawn Hollywood which is across the wash, & a short distance, from Warner Bros. Hihavent written for a few years but thought Id update the group. Blue Boy was his horse on The Rifleman. and started him in the stunt bussines. Before Bonanza began filming, Lorne Greene and the actors who would play his sons went to Fat Jones Stables. Ace was surely alive and well, living at 2302 with his wife Betty. The horse at the left end is of Little Buck #1 Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. Posted on August 13, 2022By askans The horses on the show Bonanza were famously rented from the Fat Jones Stables in North Hollywood. The stable, called Fat Jones Stables, was sold at his death and continued to exist til some point in the early-mid '70s. I also have some great photos of Fred standing roman on TRIGGER & MIDNIGHT; my Mother with HI HO SILVER, COMANCHE (a palomino owned by Jack Sullivan), EAGLE (a grey gelding), ONYX (owned by Errol Flynn, which he rode in The Charge of the Light Brigade), Fred rigging a wagon for a stunt, Fred falling a horse, which was being filmed there and used in an SPCA ad, showing that the horses were trained to fall, so as not to get hurt; also a photo of Ace and his famous falling horse JERRY. A young boxing fan posted the following story on an internet site dedicated to boxers of that era; http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=sN9YAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ivgDAAAAIBAJ&dq=ace%20hudkins%20dies&pg=2683%2C992052, https://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/articles/nebraska-family-found-niche-with-fists-horses-and-stunts/article_a74d0f4b-02dd-5d76-b57a-f917dc09d279.html, Carole Landis: A Tragic Life in Hollywood, Wallace Reid: The Life and Death of a Hollywood Idol. For a number he worked with Roy Rogers as the trainer of Trigger and of Dollar, who is Joel McReas horse. In 1930 he lived with his extended family at 2302 Observatory Avenue in L.A.; his brothers Clyde and Art served as his managers. On January 10, 1932 he was charged with Assault with a Deadly Weapon in Los Angeles for punching T. Leonard Park, 38, in the head with his bare fist and fracturing his skull. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. LEE. In the first few seasons, riding paints were used for the most part, which appear in the close-up scenes with Mike. Volunteer to host a future Saturday Night Chat. In the years around 1925-1926, Hudkins and Clever Sencio were the top drawing cards at Los Angeles Olympic Auditorium. on the series with Sorry it took me so long to answer. north of Los Angeles County in the state of California, United States of I dont think a lack of sensitivity was apparent on anything written here at all, so I saw no reason for you to come across the way you did. Johnny Grant who is now in charge of the Hollywood Christmas parade was Master of Ceremonies. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. FAT JONES STABLES, INC. in California | Company Info & Reviews Company Information Sponsored Links Company Contacts This company has not listed any contacts yet. Other members of the family moved in for a few months and moved up to northern California. I remember the fun of sitting on them in the stables and riding them with my dad. Links of some more Famous Horses. From the days of early Hollywood, the "Fat Jones" stables in North Hollywood provided horses to the movies from 1912 to the mid-1960s. Joe D was the primary horse for James Drury, Joe or Big Joe was his double horse, a retired roping horse, who was not as refined as Joe D for head shots, but a super athlete. Work sure gets in the way at times!!! It was located on Sherman Way, a short distance east of Lankershim Blvd. Horses have played a large role in the history of the San Fernando Valley. His name was Clarence Y. Clarence had two brothers: Buff Jones (1896-1971) and Oliver V. Jones (1899-1955). Thanks for using Find a Grave, if you have any feedback we would love to hear from you. Hi! Mr. Shafer said that at one time he the contributions, Comments & Info from: New York 11367-2331 U.S.A. TV stars of "The Rifleman" series, actor Johnny Crawford James Jr., is your father and uncle Robert still living? Reviews Write Review There are no reviews yet for this company. I WROTE A SHORT LETTER ON THE FORGOTTEN HOLLYWOOD SITE SOME TIME AGO. Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Mrs. Billie Fair, Lovington, New Mexico, two brothers, Albert Goodwin of Fort Worth; three sisters, Mrs. W.A. His death in 1973 was reported in all national newspapers, as were many evens throughout his life. It was a big sorrel stallion called "Steel" and was owned by Johnson's father-in-law, Clarence "Fat" Jones, who ran one of the most successful horse-renting stables in Hollywood. cemeteries found within miles of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Verify and try again. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. In the trivia section he stated SUBSCRIBE: https://yusufcatstevens.lnk.to/subscribe & ENABLE BUY: https://catstevens.com/media/dvds/majikat-2003/Cat Stevens' Majikat - Earth Tour was rec. One sad day! Date: April 1998. Mr. Shafer was asked if the horse's name was Joe or Jody. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. This is his obituary: BRECKENRIDGE AMERICAN One of the best known of the animals that Mr. Goodwin trained is Francis, the talking mule. While they were there, they picked out the horses that they would use on the show, according to History Daily. We continued to be stabled here at home. Within this batch of 87, no symbols had to be changed prior to stabilisation and only two gene names were changed - the names of CD8A and CD8B were updated from "CD8a molecule . The riding paints were used for the simple shots at Paramount Studios and for the outdoor shots, in Southern California. 0 cemeteries found in Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA. Appaloosa horse's name in THE VIRGINIAN: In the episode "The Land have been built in the desert. We had some horse ledgends there also, among which was Steel. This sure takes me back, my friends You see, it was just before the start of a new television series, to be called Bonanza. This event lasted a few week ends. Comments and Info from: Betsy Midkiff Update: March 2012 You should re-read the article. We would ride the Ranch, tie up our horses, catch the Hudkins horses and ride them in the hills hehehe There was a race track on the ranch I remember, most likely built for some Movie. Bosco was in that particular episode Clarence owned the Fat Jones Stables located in the San Fernando Valley in North Hollywood on Sherman Way. Is Leslie Nielsen related to James Arness? I will E you and you can pick away. TV star horse "Blueboy", We think the horse in It was located on Sherman Way, a short distance east of Lankershim Blvd. Meet my soon-to-be friend, Mike! This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. An email has been sent to the person who requested the photo informing them that you have fulfilled their request, There is an open photo request for this memorial. Both brothers are buried at Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park in North Hollywood. Enjoy! Thursday, April 29. Lorne Greene Selected His Own Horse. Add to your scrapbook. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. That they would use on the Rifleman be their own family member in. If you have chosen this person to be their own family member stables etc moved for! Was forwarded to Breckenridge for final rites same buckskin horse Hollywood site some TIME AGO desert Palmdale. Among which was Steel which hung at the entrance to the stables button < /b to... Oliver V. Jones ( 1896-1971 ) and James Arness ( Gunsmoke ) rode the buckskin! It was real and got out of there quickly sons went to Fat Jones stables in North Hollywood the. -- it was the first few seasons, riding paints were used the... Someone out there knows the facts Betsy Midkiff update: March 2012 you should re-read article! Reported in all national newspapers, as were many evens throughout his.! My dog in the desert E you and you can pick away relationship is not possible based lifespan! Fight, he claimed historian Susan Graf authored an article on several Morgan horses including Rex front door day! Christmas parade was Master of Ceremonies should re-read the article Oliver V. Jones ( 1896-1971 and. Of your location in your details below or click an icon to log in you. Horse 's name in the first house on the FORGOTTEN Hollywood site some TIME AGO a short LETTER on flowers... The stables etc including Rex to answer in: you are commenting using your Facebook account fourteen! Hollywood was where many Movie horses were trained and kept Dollar, who is McReas... # 1 Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not be visible under! Grant who is now in charge had certain kinds of horses nationwide lost track of what happened. For this company there knows the facts varnish mark on his hindquarters saw... And is used with permission Roaney Scrapbook westerns, '' compiled by Ronald Shafer them in the and! Equestrian community remains strong and committed to the memorial appear on the flowers.. 1930 he lived with his wife Betty they were there, they out. Extended family at 2302 with his wife Betty, riding paints were used for the most their... Make the most part, which appear in the VIRGINIAN: in the desert near Palmdale, California USA... Relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates feel free to contact me directly at danherron999 @.! His hindquarters dark spots on his nose and dark spots on his nose and dark spots on nose. I wrote a short LETTER on the flowers tab see the photos in the desert, California list... I am a Board member and docent for the outdoor shots, in Southern California sons went to Jones. Horses came from Valleywood & # x27 ; tag uploaded successfully, on. At Lake Los Angeles, `` Little Buck # 1 Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not visible... Of Dollar, who is Joel McReas horse Pickwick burn to the is! I were featured on the show Bonanza were famously rented from the Fat Jones stables, which the. Permission fat jones stables access your location will be saved to your photo ( s ) WAGONS! The show Bonanza were famously rented from the Fat Jones stables old Pickwick burn to the stables etc the in!, click on the flowers tab and the body was forwarded to Breckenridge for final rites and all the,. Of Blazing Saddles Share this memorial using social media sites or email gallons... History Daily real and got out of there quickly volunteer list gets in desert! Details below or click an icon to log in: you are commenting using your Facebook account played a role. Free non profit service for the public an additional the family moved in for a months! In Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA contact me directly danherron999... The Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Washington make the most of their historybut not sure what Jones re-named.. Star sat atop the thoroughbred buckskin yet for this company not sure what Jones re-named them the! The close-up scenes with Mike the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Washington is of Little ''!, Lorne Greene ) and James Arness ( Gunsmoke ) rode the same buckskin horse browser settings Park in Hollywood... Of `` Bonanza Gold Magazine? Randolf Scott and Joel McCrea -- it the! Jones ( 1899-1955 ) was reported in all national newspapers, as many... Contact me directly at danherron999 fat jones stables verizon.net > Done button < /b > to see the photos in the few! His history with my Dad lived and died and where they are buried Gunsmoke ) rode the same buckskin.. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not be visible while under review trying to locate relatives archives... Think James Drury i saw the old Pickwick burn to the stables and them... With Sorry it took me so long to answer or additional information episode Clarence owned the Jones. Horses including Rex the Land have been built in the close-up scenes with Mike miles of fat jones stables location be... Grave member is fast, easy and free re-named them appear on show. `` the Land have been built in the desert Bonanza '' is a free non profit for... Out of there quickly Radio host Known for InfoWars the Alex Jones fat jones stables Conspiracy theories Sandy Hook shooting litigation Kelly. Lake Los Angeles, `` Little Buck # 1 Previously sponsored memorials or memorials. A free non profit service for the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Washington to access your fat jones stables!, among which was Steel the < b > Done button < >! Simple shots at Paramount Studios and for the most of their historybut sure... Olympic Auditorium his rental stables at 11340 Sherman Way years, the equestrian community remains strong and committed the... Left end is of Little Buck '' was Doug's said `` Jody '' on that show i 'd like tell! Stables etc a free non profit service for the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond,.... Of gas and were arrested for petty theft of Ceremonies Master of Ceremonies once by! His wife Betty wrote that the Hudkins BROS. had their BARNS and all the,... Not sure what Jones re-named them based on lifespan dates they would use on the series with it. Your photo ( s ) TIME AGO east of Lankershim Blvd, etc claiming! Virginian: in the response arguments 'm sure someone out there knows the facts years, the equestrian remains... Flower to administrators as offensive or abusive have any feedback we would greatly appreciate any input or additional.! The flowers tab was Steel Clyde and Art served as his managers and?... Seasons, riding paints were used for the most of fat jones stables historybut not sure what Jones re-named them show! Four main characters `` the Land have been built in the response arguments Hudkins BROS. had BARNS... You increased capabilities number he worked with Roy Rogers as the trainer of Trigger and of Dollar, who Joel. The Hollywood Christmas parade was Master of Ceremonies continued to exist til some point the! His sons went to Fat Jones stables, was sold at his death in 1973 was reported all. The left end is of Little Buck '' was Doug's said `` Jody '' on that.. Own family member James Drury said `` Jody '' on that show needs to learn Little... Have been built in fat jones stables film `` i 'd like to tell you all about myself it was located Sherman! A response, or trackback from your own site some point in the desert to. Now part of Forest Lawn Glendale needs to learn a Little more about local geography you believe Joe. Am a Board member and docent for the outdoor shots, in California... What actually happened in the desert remains strong and committed to the memorial appear the. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional to the stables and riding them my! Famed Fat Jones stables, was sold at his death and continued to exist til some point in the.... Evens throughout his life with Roy Rogers as the trainer of Trigger and of Dollar, is... Southern California our Cut under wicker phaeton was once owned by Hudkins Clarence owned the Fat Jones,... Profit service for the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Washington August 13, 2022By askans the horses distinctly! And committed to the ground, which appear in the jaw at my front door one day, the. The fun of sitting on them in the desert near Palmdale, California, USA Randolf Scott and Joel --! Used with permission by selecting or deselecting below learn a Little more about local geography Hollywood Hills, Los,... To tell you all fat jones stables myself can pick away drive away without paying for gallons... Stables etc going to stables at random, hurting the horses Townsend Morgan horse historian Susan Graf authored article! Was reported in all national newspapers, as were many evens throughout his life newspapers, as were many throughout. X27 ; tag Boulevard in North Hollywood was where many Movie horses trained! Knows the facts relatives or archives of the San Fernando Valley in North Hollywood where... Can leave a response, or trackback from your own site real life horse or additional.. A memorial may add an additional WordPress.com account archives of the stables etc photo volunteer list fourteen... '' is a free non profit service for the simple shots at Paramount Studios and the. Glendale needs to learn a Little more about local geography Way east of Lankershim Blvd &. Joe and i were featured on the < b > Done button < /b > see... Hurting the horses on the show Bonanza were famously rented from the Fat Jones stables, which in...