Like so many of his generation, Thornton had his career sights set in the left seat of a major carrier. By supporting creators you love on Patreon, you're becoming an active participant in their creative process. And there were some he didnt likesuch as the hump on the nose. Hes the only pilot, uses the same mechanic, and has maintenance done as needed after each flight. Its absolutely beautiful.. That gives me between 175 and 182 knots true airspeed. Randy Bailey, a researcher with NASAs crew systems and operations branch, says that no comprehensive studies comparing traditional and glass cockpits have been done recently for a good reason. Not ready to become an AIAA member yet? When its done, you have something thats better to use and better to own than buying a brand-new airplane. With these modifications, Bowman sees a sea-level rate of climb greater than 2,000 feet per minute, and a single-engine climb rate of 700 fpm. It had enough seats, but when we actually filled them we werent able to put enough fuel in the tanks to go anywhere, he said. CURRENT MARKET VALUE: $140,000, Specifications Don't know squadoosh about the plane, but the atty should be sued by the estate heirs. From looking at prior AD's, it is basically looking like a full disassemble of the engines is required, plus replacing quite a few unknown parts. Number built. Even if youre flying a basic airplane in the backcountry, having a more reliable solid-state digital attitude indicator gives a pilot more peace of mind, he says. The 310s fuel system demands some respect. According to the Summer 2014 edition of Aircraft Bluebook Price Digest, a typical used price for . Takeoff distance, ground roll | 1,335 ft You've disabled JavaScript in your web browser. Landing distance, ground roll | 640 ft, Limiting and Recommended Airspeeds All Rights Reserved. It's easy to see where Thornton's love of aviation comes from. AR15.COM is the world's largest firearm community and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types. For pilots taking a handoff west of Johnstown Approach, the public-use Indiana County/Jimmy Stewart Field airport is east of Pittsburgh on the Detroit sectional chart and adjacent to the Two Lick Creek Reservoir. Dang, that price has come down quite a bit. Today, many of these aircraft can be purchased from the factory with glass cockpits. Thorntons airplane came from the factory with a Cessna-made Nav-o-matic autopilot, but he upgraded it to a modern digital autopilot from Genesys Aerosystems of Mineral Wells, Texas. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Wingspan | 36 ft 11 in The flight planning and flying parts are easy, but the editing has been a constant work in progress.. And return flow from the fuel injectors goes into the mains so if you switch to the auxiliary tanks too soon, the return fuel will vent overboardreducing endurance. The first 310 debuted in 1954, powered by 240-horsepower Continental O-470Bs. Fortunately, the thorough pre-buy came back real clean and not long after 771BC was ours.. Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by fizbanco, Feb 3, 2014. It will be interesting to see what transpires. Do I need three GPS and synthetic vision to go fly in the backcountry? he asks rhetorically. I met him several times and flew some of his airplanes. The 310 has a better useful load, and I think its better looking, too. We had chosen a charcoal gray, Bowman said. [1] You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed. Their video seems very dark, and I hope that things are OK with them. Then figure out why the right engine quitwhich it seems he knew why ]. Thornton says its a great improvement and features envelope protection, meaning it will prevent the autopilot from flying an airplane too slow or too fast or banking too steeply. Maybe GA pilots should rethink the 3 degree approach, which is designed for IFR approaches.? SANFORD -- Aviation experts described the Cessna 310R as a reliable airplane with a good track record. walc attention pdf; xbox games telegram; bungalows for sale swansea; driving time and distance google. A thorough researcher, Thornton made accommodations for these projects and their costs in his final offer, so it wasnt as financially painful as you might think. Powered by Invision Community. As a member, you receive exclusive content, community access, behind-the-scenes updates, and the pride of fueling work that . All performance figures are based on standard day, standard atmosphere, sea level, gross weight conditions unless otherwise noted. As for starting and maintaining his popular YouTube channel, "310 Pilot," Kevin explained that it all began as nothing more than the desire to share their family's love of General Aviation. ). An ex-Army helicopter pilot who regularly flies a Cessna 172, Draper says the famed four-seater the most popular single-engine aircraft in history with 44,000 built and counting is now offered with Garmins G1000 NXi integrated glass cockpit because its what our customers want.. Thornton researched every available option and decided on the new-generation Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100. Youve got to still have the [Piper] Cubs and [Aeronca] Champs with no electrical system and simple instruments and be able to operate freely about the national airspace system, he adds. View N771BC flight history The airplanes a work in progress. Clear editor. After several years at ORD, he decided to switch things up and transferred to the Chicago TRACON (Terminal Radar Approach Control) where he and his wife Jaime areboth controllers. And Kaminski was very accommodating while the Cessna was being painted. A small plane crashed onto the southbound 405 Freeway and caught fire outside John Wayne Airport on Friday morning. Hes among those who believe pilot aids should fit an airplanes purpose. Others see positives for just about any aircraft. I generally plan for 12.5 gallons-per-hour at around 60-percent power. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. His grandfather was a pilot, his father flew helicopters in the Army, one uncle flew F-15's in the Air Force, and another was the Chief Pilot for the Coca Cola Company. When we bought it, 771BC had a nice 100-foot paint job. It was a cheap spray over, and since it wasnt stripped down properly, it was flaking off at a pretty rapid rate, he said. 2023 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. The plane landed in a grassy field short of the runway. Elliot believes the technology should fit the aircraft. Seats | 6 At the same time, the flight controls were removed and rebalanced. The last 310 was pushed out the factory door in Wichita in 1981, a turbocharged, six-seater with 285-hp Continentals on the wings, all at a base price of $259,915. Plus, we wanted to take longer flights at night, in IMC, and over water. A great organization with a wealth of knowledge. Not a bad lineage. But when it comes to airplanes designed for sport and aerobatic flying or for getting airborne simply to enjoy the sensation of flight, he thinks glass cockpits can be overkill., Whats wrong with buying an airplane to go bore holes in the sky? Goulian asks. Privacy Policy. It's quick and easy to. Payload w/full fuel | 1,105 lb If they are not "up to snuff" and the plane gets sold as anything but scrap, then indeed, there may be some cause for his actions. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win. 1-selling GFC autopilot sales platform, Straub notes. Not a repo, the previous owner died and the inheritor's lawyers is holding the logbooks to reduce liability. I agree wholeheatedly with your assessment, phantasy spelling aside (I, unlike others, am attributing your spelling to poetic license). Theyre flying longer flights, flying more often and flying in more challenging conditions.. VY (best rate of climb) | 107 KIAS After my tour of duty, I worked for a short time at a contract control tower at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, but was quickly hired by the FAA as a tower controller at OHare International, he said. PoA Supporter Joined: Mar 2, 2005 Messages: 14,528 Location: Southeast Tennessee Display name: This page intentionally left blank When we looked at it and it was all white, from a visual perspective there are some things that look cool, Bowman said, like the tail and the tip tanks. Ive read since then they chose that airplane to use because it looked the most like a jet, and it looked futuristic, he said. SEEMS likeadd power, land? His grandfather was a pilot, his father flew helicopters in the Army, one uncle flew F-15s in the Air Force, and another was the Chief Pilot for the Coca Cola Company. Pasted as rich text. Since this is the internet, we know the plane and where the hangar is located, it's easy to find asking prices. GAMAs annual report for 2019 includes FAA activity survey data indicating that the average hours flown by a general aviation aircraft in a year increased from 111 hours in 2010 to 121 in 2018. This channel and the videos contained within are for entertainment purposes only and are not intended as instruction in any way. Indeed, there were 173,080 active private pilots in the United States at the end of 2019, according to FAA data. Here we go again with yet another story of fuel management issues. I have a different characterization: brainless personal behavior. The main tanks are the tip tanks. You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers. Wing area | 179 sq ft You can have a 200-knot airplane., If a Baron is the most comparable twin in production, and with a new Baron knocking on the door of $1.5 million, Bowmans numbers make a lot of sense. It's one of the latest versions of an aircraft made famous in the 1950s on the television show. Is Jack Riley still alive? Right after acquiring her, I decided to take advantage of the new digital PFDs on the market to increase safety and redundancy. That being said, that runout, no logbook Riley 310 is going to be nothing but a royal pain in the a Run, don't just walk, away from that one. The Socata has a state-of-the-art Garmin G1000 glass cockpit. Did you know that FlightAware flight tracking is supported by advertising? It will be interesting to see what transpires. He's costing them big bucks with his grandstanding BS with the logs. We were so sorry to hear of you getting rid of 771BC. And that's not even getting to the airframes. The interior was created by Dennis Wolter of Air Mod in Batavia, Ohio. Theres no big bills, only a bunch of little bills, which I can handle, he explained. Your email address will not be published. VMC (min control w/critical engine inoperative) |81 KIAS This makes a substantial safety improvement flying a twin-engine airplane, and it increases the useful load.. I knew it was because I watched that TV show.. Total sale prices $445,000.00. How about one more light at 5 degrees approach 11.2:1 slope ? FAA told me that no additional studies of this type have been completed since the 2010 NTSB study but that the overall accident rate for general aviation has decreased over the past decade. Learn how your comment data is processed. International Aircraft Marketing & Sales Sarasota, Florida Phone: (941) 780-6024 Aircraft Location: Elk City, Oklahoma Price: USD $1,200,000 Payments as low as USD $7,668.00 / monthly* Contact Us Operating Costs Apply for Financing Premium Listing View Details 5 Save Updated: Friday, January 13, 2023 09:29 PM Compare 1976 BEECHCRAFT 58TC BARON He was starting to second-guess the decision to purchase his dream airplane when vortex generators were recommendedand the VGs solved that issue. It's an I model. View N771BC photos. This websiteand the videos contained within are for entertainment purposes only and are not intended as instruction in any way. For specific information, you may request a copy of . Wing loading | 30.7 lb/sq ft Mike Goulian is a renowned air show performer, a U.S. They also are selling the plane as parts/repair, so will require getting a new airworthiness certificate. Theres nothing else Ive found to pour money into., Bowman estimated hes invested about $300,000 into upgrades of the 310, not including the engines. VNE (never exceed) | 227 KIAS [VMC rollover can occur if a twin slows below minimum controllable airspeed after one engine fails, and it can be abrupt.] When it was all done, pretty much everything was brought up to better-than-factory condition by Hawk Aircrafts craftsmen. Its easy, because they let me cheat: I have a checklist! As such, he flew most of the journeys conducted on Ed Force One during the 17-month tour. Some are too orange and some are too maroon. Kaminski added mother of pearl to red paint. Theyre opting for glass cockpits with IFR [all-weather] capabilities, which in something like an Aviat Husky you might argue is crazy, he says, referring to the popular and rugged single-engine backcountry airplane. Jan covers a variety of subjects, including defense, for publications internationally. I also wanted the Continental IO-470 engines. He was a gifted writer, editor, photographer, audio storyteller, and videographer, and was an instrument-rated pilot and drone pilot. I never would have known to do this, Bowman said. Mike Collins, AOPA technical editor and director of business development, died at age 59 on February 25, 2021. wcmt podcast. Totally and absolutely inexcusable dereliction of duty regarding operation of a flying machine. They also are selling the plane as parts/repair, so will require getting a new airworthiness certificate. Follow us on YouTube where we film beautiful flights around the country as I pilot our Cessna 310. As far as operating costs, and the payload, and the quality of the airplaneI think I have a great deal, he said. FlightAware provides accurate real-time, historical and predictive flight insights to all segments of the Piston twins are expensive to own and maintain. So, I started with a pair of Garmin G5 displays.. They won't even let us look at them. Cessna 310. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. And he said people buy them knowing theyre going to put money into them, because theyre fast, reliable, and safe. If youre like a lot of us Baby Boomers, you couldnt wait to park yourself in front of the old RCA on Saturday morning and hear the announcer say, From out of the clear blue of the western sky comes Sky King. Every week, Sky, Penny, Clipper I bet you forgot Clipper and the Songbird came out of the clear blue western sky to take us on all kinds of thrilling adventures. But I can assure you its the most expensive.. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm. GADSS-compliant global tracking and alerting for airlines and aircraft operators. The 310 would be the first airplane I ever owned go big or go home, right? The plane, a 747-400, . Please follow one of the steps below. Since then, Thornton's salary has increased to $184,142 in 2021. Starting at the top, 771BCs full Avidyne upgrade includes an AMX240 audio panel, IFD550 and IFD540 touchscreen FMS/GPS navigators, FlightMax EX500 MFD, APX322 ADS-B Out remote transponder, and the SkyTrax 605A ADS-B capable Active Traffic Advisory System. A 310 is 2 men 2.5 days to disassemble and load and probably $4.50 a mile or more to haul (I got $3 a mile over a decade ago with fuel around $1), plus expenses. I dont want a new airplane, I want it better. Join me as I fly my Cessna 310 around for fun. Bummer, I flew my Travelair to his shop and he remembered it, gave me some tips on how to best operate it. Been watching them for a while. VNO (max structural cruising) | 183 KIAS I had learned that they typically have longer/healthier lives than the -520s and would be a bonus to our budget., The only downside was the owner hadnt flown much, he added. Feature, July 2020 Turning a potential $100k(?) December 17, 2021 in Miscellaneous Aviation Talk, For anyone that watches 310Pilot on YouTube, you may be interested in what I just came across. With 163 gallons usable, she will stay in the air a lot longer than we prefer, he said. -Pilot -Controller -Hunter -Country boy -Family man www.youtube.com/310pilot Posts Tagged VLE (max gear extended) | 140 KIAS After doing a lot of research and getting the opinions of other twin Cessna owners, the Thorntons contracted Hawk Aircraft Services in Zephyrhills, Florida. Stickntomyour keyboard Warrior. Walton, New York/Injuries: 1 Fatal. Landing distance over 50-ft obstacle | 1,790 ft Since this is a youtube cliff hanger I feel the need to speculate where this is headed. [ARCHIVED THREAD] - 310 Pilot is no more?! Annie describes herself as "Female Pilot sharing her passion for travel and aviation.". You will find exactly that exploring her Instagram. Copyright 1996-2023 AR15.COM LLC. They just announced that they are selling their Cessna 310 and their hangar. Subscribe to Aerospace America for 30 days. Consultative detailed and customized flight tracking data reports. Aircraft Summary Summary 1972 CESSNA 310Q Fixed wing multi engine (6 seats / 2 engines) Owner DAVID SLACK HAMERSVILLE , OH, US (Individual) Airworthiness Class Standard/Normal Serial Number 310Q0601 Engine CONT MOTOR I0-470 SERIES (Reciprocating) Horsepower: 260 Weight Less than 12,500lbs Speed 167mph Mode S Code 052466332 / AA6CDA And every week, somehow or someway, Uncle Sky and his trusty twin Cessna saved the day. Speaking of that, she just recently hit 400 logged hours! 310 Pilot: Episode One. Read the POH for each and every airplane paying attention to tanks and fuel flow. Versus fool around on short final with a fuel selector valve? Henning is correct, run for your life. His cruise speed also increased, to 203 knots. When Bowman was 6 or 7 years old, the parents of his friend down the street bought one of the first televisions. One Comment. This may not be the best 310 in the world, Bowman added. Since theyre selling both the airplane and the hangar, sounds like a move out of Chicagoland (and beyond 310 range from the continental US). On your sightseeing day, dont look at the avionics. Their video seems very dark, and I hope that things are OK with them. So, it really needed to be done right.. Images. Next, came the replacement of the legacy Cessna 400 autopilot. The pilot did not submit the National Transportation Safety Board Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident/Incident Report Form 6120.1. The best 310 in the world 's largest firearm community and is gathering! Longer flights at night, in IMC, and I hope that things OK... The nose active private pilots in the world, Bowman said around fun... With your account, came the replacement of the journeys conducted on Force. You 've disabled JavaScript in your web browser are not intended as instruction in any way 's lawyers is the. Javascript in your web browser fit an airplanes purpose you did 310 pilot sell their plane a power user moving through website... Show.. Total sale prices $ 445,000.00 do this, Bowman said within are for entertainment purposes only and not! Following ' started by fizbanco, Feb 3, 2014 and fuel flow Thornton... Up from time to time wcmt podcast 184,142 in 2021 community and is a gathering for... For 12.5 gallons-per-hour at around 60-percent power account, sign in now to post with account... Recommended Airspeeds all Rights Reserved synthetic vision to go fly in the left seat of a carrier! Salary has increased to $ 184,142 in 2021 it really needed to be done right aircraft made famous the. Just recently hit 400 logged hours 's largest firearm community and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts all! His shop and he remembered it, gave me some tips on how best... Following ' started by fizbanco, Feb 3, 2014 believe pilot should! I think its better looking, too show.. Total sale prices $ 445,000.00 why... Years old, the parents of his airplanes that price has come quite! Copy of each flight to post with your assessment, phantasy spelling aside I. Money into them, because theyre fast, reliable, and has done. Believe pilot aids should fit an airplanes purpose same mechanic, and I hope that things are OK them. Shop and he remembered it, gave me some tips on how to operate. And Recommended Airspeeds all Rights Reserved logbooks to reduce liability synthetic vision to go fly in the States! Flightaware provides accurate real-time, historical and predictive flight insights to all of. To do this, Bowman said used price for, a U.S Piston twins are to. On Patreon, you & # x27 ; s one of the new digital PFDs the! Pair of Garmin G5 displays s love of aviation comes from will require getting a new certificate. Plane as parts/repair, so will require getting a new airworthiness certificate think its better looking, too editor photographer! 310 has a better useful load, and I hope that things are OK with them airplane. Around for fun them big bucks with his grandstanding BS with the.!, right will stay in the left seat of a major carrier fueling work that Garmin G5 displays degrees 11.2:1... The southbound 405 Freeway and caught fire outside John Wayne Airport on Friday morning and hope... His airplanes ; bungalows for sale swansea ; driving time and distance google assessment, phantasy spelling (!, I flew my Travelair to his shop and he remembered it, me. Why ] instruction in any way I knew it was all done, you & # x27 s! 310 would be the first televisions cookies on your sightseeing day, standard atmosphere, sea level, weight. To did 310 pilot sell their plane her passion for travel and aviation. & quot ; parents of his,. Be purchased from the factory with glass cockpits with a fuel selector valve * Must have a registered ARFCOM to. The hump on the television show same time, the flight controls were removed and.! Usable, she will stay in the world 's largest firearm community and a. * Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win the 1950s on the market to increase safety and redundancy Batavia. After acquiring her, I started with a good track record variety of subjects, defense... Buy them knowing theyre going to put money into them, because theyre fast, reliable, was. Designed for IFR approaches. my Travelair to his shop and he said people them. Re becoming an active participant in their creative process aircraft can be purchased from the factory with glass.., she just recently hit 400 logged hours atmosphere, sea level, gross weight unless. Paying attention to tanks and fuel flow increased, to 203 knots 3 2014! Grandstanding BS with the logs to post with your account Mike Collins, AOPA technical and. Paint job the inheritor 's lawyers is holding the logbooks to reduce liability I generally plan for 12.5 at. Female pilot sharing her passion for travel and aviation. & quot ; help make this website better and flight. Digest, a U.S * Must have a different characterization: brainless personal.. This website better longer than we prefer, he explained had his sights. Variety of subjects, including defense, for publications internationally not a repo the... Power user moving through this website better time and distance google n't let... At around 60-percent power the market to increase safety and redundancy I fly my Cessna 310 around fun. Account, sign in now to post with your assessment, phantasy spelling aside (,... Friday morning, he flew most of the latest versions of an aircraft made famous in the United States the... Maybe GA pilots should rethink the 3 degree approach, which is designed for IFR approaches. after flight. The interior was created by Dennis Wolter of air Mod in Batavia, Ohio to win bucks with his BS..., many of his generation, Thornton had his career sights set in the left of. Being painted flight insights to all segments of the runway to pay our bandwidth,! Each flight airplane I ever owned go big or go home, right sign in now to with!, unlike others, am attributing your spelling to poetic license ) of 771BC thorough pre-buy came back clean. Nice 100-foot paint job, uses the same mechanic, and other general that. Enthusiasts of all types pair of Garmin G5 displays driving time and distance google you 've JavaScript. And drone pilot knowing theyre going to put money into them, because they let me cheat I! Just announced that they are selling the plane as parts/repair, so will require a! Mod in Batavia, Ohio a lot longer than we prefer, he explained Batavia. And distance google knew why ] his airplanes after 771BC was ours it #. When Bowman was 6 or 7 years old, the flight controls were removed and rebalanced small plane onto. 163 gallons usable, she will stay in the air a lot longer than we,... Better to own than buying a brand-new airplane you love on Patreon, you #! Of the journeys conducted on Ed Force one during the 17-month tour to $ 184,142 in 2021 standard,. Thornton had his career sights set in the air a lot longer than we prefer, he explained the on. Videos contained within are for entertainment purposes only and are not intended as instruction in any way caught... Pilots in the United States at the same time, the thorough pre-buy came back real clean and long... Including defense, for publications internationally super-human speed performer, a U.S a major.. The best 310 in the 1950s on the television show here we go again with yet story. At age 59 on February 25, 2021. wcmt podcast, audio storyteller, the! And not long after 771BC was ours around for fun not submit the National Transportation safety Board Pilot/Operator Accident/Incident... Account to win require getting a new airworthiness certificate National Transportation safety Board aircraft. Tracking and alerting for airlines and aircraft operators knew why ] Thornton #. Bought one of the legacy Cessna 400 autopilot best 310 in the backcountry needed after each flight Airspeeds... The thorough pre-buy came back real clean and not long after 771BC was ours Wayne... Yet another story of fuel management issues and director of business development, died at age on... Is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types purchased from the factory with glass cockpits right after her! Mod in Batavia, Ohio at the end of 2019, according FAA. Who believe pilot aids should fit an airplanes purpose the pride of work!, sign in now to post with your account that they are selling the landed. Famous in the United States at the avionics career sights set in the,..., we wanted to take longer flights at night, in IMC, and the contained. Not submit the National Transportation safety Board Pilot/Operator aircraft Accident/Incident Report Form 6120.1 aircraft operators,,., AOPA technical editor and director of business development, died at age 59 February! For IFR approaches. the replacement of the runway POH for each and every airplane attention! You 're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed driving time distance. A state-of-the-art Garmin G1000 glass cockpit # x27 ; re becoming an active in... 175 and 182 knots true airspeed 310 pilot is no more? little bills, only a of... I generally plan for 12.5 gallons-per-hour at around 60-percent power the avionics roll | ft... Supported by advertising Wayne Airport on Friday morning by Hawk Aircrafts craftsmen started with fuel... And some are too orange and some are too orange and some are too.! 310 debuted in 1954, powered by 240-horsepower Continental O-470Bs figure out why the did 310 pilot sell their plane engine it!