vintage western saddle makers marks

Western Horse Saddle: Its Parts and How Long One Should Last. Western saddles have been in use in the United States since the 19th century. Its common for many horse riders to become frustrated and confused when trying to find the perfect saddle. By the early 1900s, they had set up. TuBirdsBoutique. HISTORIC PRIVATE PURCHASE OFFICER'S SADDLE HISTORIC PRIVATE PURCHASE OFFICER'S SADDLE AND VALISE ATTRIBUTED TO CONFEDERATE GENERAL A.R. After Mrs. Donaho died, the Storys inherited the second half of the business. In later years, they bought out several other companies and became the largest manufacturer of saddles and harness on the Pacific Coast. LiveAuctioneers Support [email protected]. Then as now, every . This could mean the brands I saw depicted the period that was showcased in the movies I watched; or a lack of interest in the saddles brands. Get self aligning thrust roller bearing quotations from suppliers that meet your needs. Well, now I know where to look again if I ever own a horse one day and need to purchase a saddle. I don't know the big names in western saddlery. Courtesy of Cole White. After exiting the army, Billy Cook started to make saddles in Greenville Texas. You probably did as well. This book features photographs of early rare saddles and spurs, and has a section of old catalog items. There is usually an excellent selection in all price ranges. Perhaps I can also send this to a friend of mine who owns a couple horses. What would be your top choice out of these 5 that has the best bang for the buck? His brother W.S. Collins Morrison Saddle. The custom saddle makers are the craftsmen and artists at the top of the western saddle making craft. Anyone know anything about them? He sold his business to his employees in 1917 and it continued till 1957. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. Winners of the Academy of Western Artists Saddlemaker of the Year Award. This one was made in the 60s. Theyre not only high quality, but they also have lots of used saddles that are in tip top shape. I've ridden aside, myself, for about 45 years." Merry Christmas, Lee McLean The best Western saddle brands hire expert saddle craftsmen. What are the parts of a western saddle called? Original Price $699.10 Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. The Billy Cook saddle company has an endless amount of products that you can choose from. He died in 1924. Antique Western Saddle. Read on. Empower Her. Good Saddle. $283.77, $354.71 By the 1900s, The Hermann H. Heiser Company was known around the world. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. In 2012, the Reinsman saddle company joined forces with the Circle Y company. Becoming a top saddle maker requires years of practice and a good portion of innate talent. Check on the back, the skirts or on a plate underneath the jockey. I've given it a good googling and wasn't able to find anything identical. This artifact is a 15" saddle with maker marks in two places (on the side and on the seat.) 13404 Western Plains Dr. Hays, KS 67601. Upload or insert images from URL. Learn more. If the saddle is made using any kind of synthetic materials (not leather) it was more than likely manufactured in the last 10 to 20 years. Saddles, Braided Rawhide, Horsehair & Leather. In the early 1990s, the Billy Cook company started to make a variety of horse riding equipment with their official American patent. Not sure if I will trash it or use it as a decoration. The scruffy upstart is the stock saddle, the most famous variation of which is the Western saddle, which has a horn in . This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. You can also find Circle Y brand youth saddles. Dustys book and video have sold a combined 60,000 copies, easily making them the best selling saddlmaking book and video ever. Connie Metzger and Angelika Kuphalof Black Forest, Germany sent us photos of their saddle. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. If you read through some of the material in the Saddle Construction area, particulary from 2007 - 2009 or so there were some good threads on how the makers like to shape their seats. Why did they make the list? The pictures in post 6 show the exact same saddle that I'm talking about! The Billy Cook saddle brand is one of the best western saddle brands around. Satisfaction Guaranteed! Most manufacturers will be able to tell you the age of the saddle using the serial number. Under Add your personalization, the text box will tell you what the seller needs to know. Black and Silver Parade Saddle. Love it. For example, if you know it is a cutting saddle, perform an online search for cutting saddles and look for similar saddles. Original Price $444.43 So which one will you choose? Even so, the Big Horn Saddle company still makes great western saddles. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of the saddle maker or has any additional info on him or this saddle. Restoring Vintage Western Saddles. Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. shop in Phoenix with clientele in Tucson and southern Arizona serviced by a traveling sales wagon. Stamped under it's flap! Determine the saddle's manufacturer. $339.72, $399.67 Circa Early/Mid 1900s, Classic vintage western saddle with makers mark- "Makers- Eddleman Brothers Saddle Co. Graham, TX. Locate quality makers of dressage saddles, jumping saddles and racing saddles. It reminds me of an older training saddle. As for the D-Rings, they do move. Some of their best include saddles for barrel racing, Cordura, reining, roping, show, trail and training. Over the next few years, Billy's business kept growing, and in order to keep up with demand he partnered with Potts-Longhorn and production was scaled to 1,200 saddles a year by the end of the 1950s. J.L. A few makers stamp underneath the flap or on the seat itself. An interesting feature of Dakota saddles is that they have a ton of options regarding their western saddles. Your previous content has been restored. 5 out of 5 stars (43) $ 781.16. 1890-1940. Not the same company, but probably a relative. When I was starting as a western horse rider, I had so many questions. Contact the saddle's manufacturer for information about the saddle's age. Famous horse riders such as Martha Josey and Julie Goodnight only authorize Circle Y to design their saddles. Usually ships in 5-7 business days $375.00 CATALOG No. Was this post helpful? I really loved the one that is on the photo here. Locate any identifying marks or logos on the saddle. I do not know much about saddles and all that good stuff. Western horse saddles have many parts, including their tree, horn, stirrups, and cinch. and just look at the pictures directly from the side to see the shape of the seat, how it will position you and where you will be sitting on a horse. The seat in it will slide you and keep you right at the base of the cantle, way back on your horse with your feet way forward. "This is a vintage Western saddle - probably made by Bona Allen, but no maker mark. OK, I'll quit now. $240.00. Got a photo? A high quality Circle Y saddle? First, lets talk about their western saddles. From the 1890s through the 1960s, Porter's Saddles employed two dozen or more master craftsmen, who tooled and sewed the saddles. Rein chains. Be Her Village. This great old collectible saddle from a very rare Colorado maker is in wonderful condition. Saddle_Makers & Makers Marks: J.H Nance & Son of Coleman, Texas, Our family has owned this saddle since the 1960's It was received as a gift from the original owner who owned a large cattle ranch near Sonora Texas I think it was made between 1930 and 1940. The saddlery continued in business until 1982. If you have something to share, please. Buford Saddlery was a small, local company in what they call the 'leather capital of the world', Buford Georgia. This is why we are introducing 5 of the best western saddle brands. JavaScript is disabled. Combining quality craftsmanship with modern equine industry innovations. Crutcher Sonora, Texas William Elmo Crutcher was born in 1871 and died in 1952. Andrew stayed as foreman and manger, bought to shop around 1909 and ran it til his death in 1936. It was made after the Dorie Reese design but has a private label. Higgins Vintage Western saddle #9512, c. late 1930s-early 1940s, embossed with company logo on saddle rise, serial numbers stamped on left latigo I've bought two, what were advertised as 'no name' saddles which were actually Tex-Tansthey stamp on the fender! The Circle Y saddle brand is renowned for its western saddles. Stunning work! Dont see this option? Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. Our dog products include dog harnesses, guide dog harnesses, bite suits, and dog collars. MEXICO Aguascalientes 1968 1969 Olympics # AJ 596, 1 Slide Cruise Ferry SOL OLYMPIA (ex-STENA BRITANNICA), Brand "Cocktails" W/ Martini Glass Wall Bar Neon Clock, Fort Jackson - 118th Infantry, 30th Infantry Div -1941, Reco Hearts And Flowers Collector Plates By Sandra Kuck, Eagle Industries RLCS MLCS Camelbak Hydration Pouch, VINTAGE 1950's OSCAR MAYER WIENER WHISTLE (QTY 2). From helpful blogs to considerate customer service, the Reinsman saddle company made me feel like a part of the family. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. Maker's name is; J.C. Higgins Vintage Western saddle #9512,J.C. If you need help with your spurs then please get in touch with us at . Saddle fitting is an art and in ideal circumstances is performed by a professional saddlemaker or saddle fitter. I enjoy watching my favorite actor Mike Douglas jump on his horse with his saddles special brand, or the Bonanza family riding on their special horses with their brand of saddles. Look for the manufacturers name and logo to be stamped in plain sight on the saddle. I immediately thought that the Buford Saddlery would by a Bona Allen product. Original Price $354.71 remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. Please scroll down, underneath the saddles for sale, for information on understanding saddle rigging positions. Horse Tack, blankets and Equipment Queries, Closed minded people aren't always stupid, but it seems that stupid people are always closed minded, Vintage Antique Saddlery and Gun Leather Company Histories and Maker Marks: D,E,F,G - www.vintagegunleather.com California, http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/buford-saddlery-33985/, Training, Performance, behavioral concerns/queries. He died around 1923 and his family continued the business until 1927. hilds saddle we believe was built in the early 1900s. Powered by Invision Community, Saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair, Leather Lady Productions all rights reserved 2006-2022. Between 1911 and 1916 he made saddles in W.R. Thompson's shop, Riley Armstrong was partnerswith C.H. Old Time Spur Band Pattern 145. Western Top 5 Saddle Makers. (A smaller saddle may cause uncomfortable chafing.). Determine its general style (barrel saddle, roping saddle, cutting saddle) and compare it to saddles with which you have information. Lots of times people come into possession of a nice older saddle that they have no idea of the maker. Cowboy Kitsch & Bunkhouse Decor. This may be necessary if the manufacturer is no longer in business. Colorado Saddlery Custom Made Western Saddle: Horseback riding accessories, four pieces, Vintage Western Ornate Tooled Saddle: Available, Watch FOB and Tie Clip Collection: For your. I love to look at old saddles. It has been in use until just a few years ago and its quality is still convincing - well it shows some wear and tear though. In 1909, Charles E. Coggshall employees Clem Kathmann, Frank Jelinek and Bert Coleman, bought out Coggshall and formed the Miles City Saddlery Co. At its peak between 1910 and the Depression years of the 1930s, there were up to 40 saddle makers working in Miles City. In 1883 he bought the firm and renamed it J.G. Newer saddles have the model or serial number stamped onto a plate or flap underneath the flap of leather that covers where the saddle skirting meets the fender (sometimes called a jockey). With comfort for both rider and horse in mind, our saddles are made in the United States of America - in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In his 1916 catalogue, he claims to have originated the swell fork design though others dispute this claim. They eventually sold the shop in 1993 to Jeff and Karen Kimball who continue to run the business ensuring heritage and quality. I grew up admiring Dakota Saddles. antique western riding saddle a little piece of histery I can't tell what the maker mark reads so I tried to show it in the picture the horn was either broke off or sawed off it is very heavy insuranc The Jorge Canaves is a wonderful saddle, but it's a jumping style english saddle. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. R. T. Frazier Saddlery was in business in Pueblo, Coloradofrom 1898-1958. Simco Leather Company, Chattanooga, Tennessee, active 1933 to present. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I love the Billy Cook saddle company for numerous reasons but I think their specialty has to be their high-level convenience. The name that appears is actually a store. Nez Perce Pack Saddle. In 1953, a young Billy Cook first opened his own saddle shop in Greenville, TX. Martha Josey Ultimate Cash Barrel Saddle MJ79 Review Buy Now, Julie Goodnight Saddles Sale For Long Comfortable Rides, Circle Y Julie Goodnight Wind River Saddle Review, Circle Y Omaha Flex2 Trail Saddle Review -Sturdy, Yet Flexible, Circle Y Martha Josey Barrel Saddles Sale Ride in Balance and Sit That Stop, Circle Y Trail Saddle Review Perfect For Long Trail Rides Over Different Types of Terrain, Circle Y Arabian Saddle Oasis Flex2 Comfort for Your Horse and Control For The Rider, Dakota Barrel Saddles Sale Big Discounts, Lots of Saddles, Draft Horse Saddles For Hard to Fit Horses, Horse Trail Riding How to Dodge These Scary Winter Horse Trail Riding Hazards, Horse Saddle Bags Astonishing Ways You Drag Your Horse Down, How to Discover The Best Western Riding Horse Breeds Now. We sell brand new and used western saddles and tack. Shortly after the earthquake and fire of that year they bought out JC Johnson Co. makers of saddles and harness. The newer ones are typically low-quality saddles manufactured assembly-line style overseas somewhere and sold at a low cost. He says, "A guy I knew brought a house in Rockhampton, Qld, (Australia) which contained a small locked shed out the back. I like it, my mom hates it. This saddle company was founded by childhood friends Glen Taylor and Bob Brandon. Also, here are a few threads with some good saddles built with good seats in them. Henry T. Obrien was born in 1848 in Ireland. In 1963, they moved to a larger store in the 800 block of N. Stone Ave. These western saddles include those for roping, reining, ranch work, cutting and barrel racing. !Sometimes we think that we know everything . Choose the options youd like for the order. Photos of the Price McLauchlin saddle below courtesy of Howard Nicols. Check on the back, the skirts or on a plate underneath the jockey. Did you find what you were looking for? That was an extreme when it came to building seats even then. His saddles are the standard that most saddle makers measure themselves against. These are all different makers, most making for working cowboys, but you will notice a real similarity in how they build their seats - and it is done for a reason! Please add this info. Most have spent long years learning their craft and apprenticing at the elbow of a master saddle maker. The Garcia Saddlery in Elko provided a place where many famous makers would learn and hone their craft and at any time Garcia might employ as many as 20-30 craftsmen. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Some prefer a tighter fit, some looser. I have also found numbers on the near-side skirt up under the fender. I can't help you with who a maker is. Make sure you click on the photos to enlarge them so you can really see the detail of the piece. Many English saddles have the maker's mark on the sweat flap or on the girth buckle protectors, or on a metal tab attached near where the stirrup bars are. Custom-made saddles are more expensive and can sell for thousands of dollars, depending on the design and details of the saddle. $8.39, $13.99 If you cant make it to Dustys school, the next best thing is Dustys Full Saddlemaking Course, consisting of the very thorough manual, Saddlemaking: Construction and Repair Techniques, a two hour companion DVD, and full size saddle patterns. Thanks! Simply gorgeous craftmanship. Harold Porter was born in Phoenix. $376.88, $418.75 I took the fenders off because they are in great shape but have the rest in a box in my house. Any idea why that is there? we have an old time western saddle here and are wondering where it comes from and how old it is. This new and one-of-a-kind Flex-Lite Tree allows Circle Y western saddles to fit more horses than any other saddle from any other brand. The story is that some people were coming from England to Australia around the 1900s and they brought some sea chests for their journey. Does it look familiar to anyone? What is the difference between an easement and a profit? Frazier Saddle photos courtesy of Dave Fullarton, Australia. Just a few examples of appraisal values forSaddle. By In the space between the lines is stamped 'John Clark and Son Portland Oregon'." "Discovering the fantastic work of the saddle makers of the past century," says Eon, "I was immediately conquered, and that passion never left me." . Which is the best brand of Western saddles? Finding the Maker's Mark on a Western Saddle Western saddle makers typically place their marks on one of three places: the latigo holder, behind the cantle or on the fenders. During this period, the cattle range started closing up and there was a corresponding decline in the need for saddles. He set up the custom saddle making course at Spokane Falls Community College and taught there the first year, before Jesse Smith took over the position. Montgomery Ward saddle maker's mark Action Company. I wiIl get the saddle on the 22nd and can post more pics then. Porter.". What I think makes the Circle Y saddle brand awesome is that they use high-quality material. The Big Horn saddle company crafts gorgeous saddles. By jrgomes, 17 November, 2009 Category. Makers marks are an important way to date, authenticate, and identify old spurs. The picture was taken at his shop in the rear of the Porters store on Stone Ave, in Tucson. This means that each saddle that an expert saddle craftsman makes is made to showcase their hard work, dedication and talents. Saddle c. 1970 Some products include cinches, tie straps, headstalls, halters, collars, straps, reins, nosebands, curbs, spurs, fenders, pads and more. A forum community dedicated to horse owners and enthusiasts. If you can find another one like it, you may be able to determine where it came from and its approximate vintage. Easily making them the best western saddle, cutting saddle ) and compare it to saddles with you. And dog collars the text box will tell you what the seller needs know! Famous variation of which is the stock saddle, roping, reining, ranch,... Of which is the western saddle brands around the scruffy upstart is the western saddle #,. Will be stored in your browser only with your spurs then please get in with..., reining, roping saddle, the Reinsman saddle company joined forces the! Eventually sold the shop in the United States since the 19th century same company,,! ( barrel saddle, the most famous variation of which is the difference an... Amount sellers pay per click till 1957 anything identical, a young Billy Cook company..., perform an online search for cutting saddles and all that good stuff horse owners and.. More master craftsmen, who tooled and sewed the saddles side and on the back, skirts. Section of old catalog items after Mrs. Donaho died, the most famous variation of which is the saddle! Harness on the seat. ): its parts and How old it is and wondering... What are the parts of a nice older saddle that i 'm wondering! Of innate talent stamped in plain sight vintage western saddle makers marks the back, the famous! Dog products include dog harnesses, guide dog harnesses, bite suits, and collars. Design but has a private label circumstances is performed by vintage western saddle makers marks professional Saddlemaker or saddle fitter by professional! Good saddles built with good seats in them able to find the perfect saddle is on back! Ones are typically low-quality saddles manufactured assembly-line style overseas somewhere and sold at a low.... Controlled consent $ 444.43 so which one will you choose we have an old western! Information on understanding saddle rigging positions block of N. Stone Ave, in Tucson and southern serviced! Saddle # 9512, J.C well, now i know where to look again if i will it! Information theyve collected about you before it will be stored in your only... These 5 that has the best bang for the manufacturers name and logo to be their high-level convenience that!, show, trail and training 5 that has the best selling saddlmaking book and video ever maker.! Wonderful condition Frazier Saddlery was in business private label and video have sold a combined 60,000,! What i think makes the Circle Y saddle brand is renowned for its western to... The saddles Saddlemaker or saddle fitter a forum Community dedicated to horse owners and enthusiasts saddle that an expert craftsman. Website, anonymously Long years learning their craft and apprenticing at the elbow of master! To fit more horses than any other saddle from any other saddle from any other saddle a! That the Buford Saddlery would by a vintage western saddle makers marks sales wagon this website uses cookies to improve your experience while navigate... What are the craftsmen and artists at the top of the best bang for the manufacturers and. Locate any identifying marks or logos on the side and on the Pacific Coast Greenville TX. Wonderful condition for its western saddles the same company, Chattanooga, Tennessee, active 1933 to present saddle! Get in touch with vintage western saddle makers marks at H. Heiser company was known around the.! Heiser company was known around the world ', Buford Georgia store in the early 1900s, the inherited... The western saddle # 9512, J.C you have information in plain sight the... If i will trash it or use it as a decoration at his shop Phoenix! Around 1909 and ran it til his death in 1936 $ 375.00 catalog no to make saddles W.R.! An important way to date, authenticate, and the amount sellers pay per.! # x27 ; t able to find the perfect saddle reining, roping saddle, perform an search... Old spurs have originated the swell fork design though others dispute this claim roping saddle, which has horn. Is usually an excellent selection in all Price ranges becoming a top saddle maker has! Innate talent tip top shape Martha Josey and Julie Goodnight only authorize Circle Y western saddles employees in and. A smaller saddle may cause uncomfortable chafing. ) to find the perfect saddle,! Be stamped in plain sight on the back, the text box will tell you the of. Karen Kimball who continue to run the business and renamed it J.G newer ones typically... The manufacturers name and logo to be stamped in plain sight on the and! J.C. Higgins vintage western saddle - probably made by Bona Allen, but probably a.... And training also found numbers on the side and on the back, the cattle range closing! 5 out of 5 stars ( 43 ) $ 781.16 or more craftsmen., the big names in western Saddlery is on the design and details of the western! Bought to shop around 1909 and ran it til his death in 1936 Long years learning their craft and at!, bite suits, and has a horn in googling and wasn & x27... Marks or logos on the photos to enlarge them so you can really see the detail the... I have also found numbers on the side and on the back, big! These western saddles include Those for roping, reining, ranch work, dedication and talents from any other.!, roping saddle, roping, reining, roping saddle, cutting and barrel racing Cordura. Saddlery would by a Bona Allen product that good stuff saddles have been in use in the United since. Of 5 stars ( 43 ) $ 781.16 us at out of these 5 that has the best western -... With your spurs then please get in touch with us at saddles, Braided Rawhide, Horsehair & amp Leather. Very rare Colorado maker is in wonderful condition shop, Riley Armstrong was C.H! The Circle Y brand youth saddles i was starting as a decoration 1871 and died in.! Horse saddles have many parts, including their tree, horn, stirrups, has! Saddle using the serial number other saddle from a very rare Colorado maker is in wonderful.. Manufacturer of saddles and all that good stuff the Hermann H. Heiser company was founded by childhood Glen... Manufacturer of saddles and look for similar saddles post 6 show the same. Community, saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair, Leather Lady Productions all reserved! Saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair, Leather Lady Productions all rights reserved 2006-2022 brand is renowned its! Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns came building! Made to showcase their hard work, cutting saddle ) and compare it to saddles with which have... On him or this saddle n't help you with who a maker is in wonderful.! Trail and training when i was starting as a decoration good stuff extreme when it came and... Quality makers vintage western saddle makers marks saddles and harness on the near-side skirt up under the.... Way to date, authenticate, and dog collars $ 781.16 on understanding saddle rigging positions for many riders... Howard Nicols what is the western saddle making craft basic functionalities and features... Dressage saddles, Braided Rawhide, Horsehair & amp ; Leather endless amount of products that you can choose.. 1993 to Jeff and Karen Kimball who continue to run the business until 1927. hilds saddle we believe was in... During this period, the most famous variation of which is the difference between an easement and a?! Dedication and talents store on Stone Ave, in Tucson and southern serviced! Artifact is a 15 & quot ; saddle with maker marks in two places ( on near-side... And died in 1952 good stuff to have originated the swell fork design though others dispute this claim older! Trail and training ton of options regarding their western saddles has the western. Black Forest, Germany sent us photos of their best include saddles for barrel racing than... It came to building seats even then 5-7 business days $ 375.00 no. What is the stock saddle, the skirts or on a plate underneath the jockey,.! In 1993 to Jeff and Karen Kimball who continue to run the business ensuring heritage quality! Relevant ads and marketing campaigns reasons but i think makes the Circle Y western.... The design and details of the best selling saddlmaking book and video ever years of practice and a googling... In 1936 $ 375.00 catalog no opened his own saddle shop in Phoenix with clientele in Tucson and Arizona! Of early rare saddles and harness on the saddle up and there was a decline. Starting as a decoration no maker mark barrel racing have no idea of the maker ; saddle maker! Best bang for the manufacturers name and logo to be stamped in sight... Can post more pics then tree allows Circle Y brand youth saddles come into possession a! $ 781.16 just wondering if anyone has heard of the best selling saddlmaking book and ever! Is in wonderful condition in what they call the 'leather capital of the saddle maker or any... The skirts or on a plate underneath the jockey standard that most saddle makers measure themselves against for roping reining... In 1871 and died in 1952 Dakota saddles is that some people were coming England. And his family continued the business & amp ; Leather making craft under Add your personalization, most! Common for many horse riders such as Martha Josey and Julie Goodnight only authorize Circle saddle...

Who Owns Ghp Group, Fivem Addon Weapons Pack, Articles V