stuart matthewman interview

I think people do think of me as this depressed person crying in my ivory tower. We wanted to make sure that we really covered songs that weren't expected as well for us to do. Hes a really important member of the band. Running a global content team is always a business challenge. Matthewman co-wrote, performed, and produced tracks on Santessa's 2000 trip-hop album Delirium released on Sony. It was good, though, because it was a distraction. Maxwell collaborated for the first time with guitarist Hod David, who co-wrote three songs and has worked with the singer ever since. Intelligent questions and a wonderful conversation. Its like musical recycling. Stuart: Its quite amazing! It was an Irish bar on 14th Street. The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time We carry a pipeline and a revenue target. He appeared on all of Sade's tours and albums: Diamond Life, Promise, Stronger Than Pride, Love Deluxe, Lovers Rock, and Soldier of Love all of which went triple platinum in the U.S. and have totalled sales over 40 million albums worldwide. You have to deliver, even if youre not ready for it. We never think about the record company, we never think about friends or fans, we never think about radio. Being a musician and fans of music, were obviously influenced by whats going on, but we never make a conscious decision to go oh we should do a track with more hip-hop or we should do a track thats kind of more reggae. We just do what we do and it comes out in some way. There are the fans of course, the always organic no-formula formula, and how a little Drake goes a long way to brighten Sades day. While other artists are content with releasing music more frequently to remain in the limelight, Matthewman says, [Sades] not interested in the fame or any of that [other] stuff. That was very much Sophie [Muller] and Sade together. And also, if we leave it ten years, well never be able to get up on the side of the stage anymore. Well, first of all its good that we stopped and didnt try to make another one off the back of the previous album. Theres one that we found out about. Maxwell then caps the first half of. He says, Its important to distil your message down to something that relates back to your companys purpose, translates across different markets and is the core of what you do, but allows the nuance to be added in specific markets. How does he do that? Stuart is also a member of Sweetback, and was one half of Twin Danger. Life+Times: What do you aim to do differently with your live sets each time you tour? I saw in the media how people are mocked and destroyed I didnt have that kind of thick skin., Maxwell assembled an unusual group of musicians: not just Matthewman, who recalls that the singer was very enamored with the Sade album, at the time, but also Leon Ware the singer-songwriter-producer, who, in one of the most outrageous acts of generosity in music history, donated a planned 1975 solo album to Marvin Gaye, resulting in the singers, Those were just a few elements of what the singer describes as a smorgasbord of cultures flowing into, . There are more licensed stations now, but when I was growing up, there werent many options. Were not thinking about anyone else. Its been eight years now, and Sade still hasnt fully emerged from her music slumber to bless us with a new full-length album. It was amazing. Sade: Yesterday I was in my car. You know, theyve kind of grown older but theres a lot of younger people in the audience this time as well. Sade: I dont want to be a one trick pony. Our mission is simple: help marketers excel. He cites his musical influences as Junior Walker, King Curtis, Art Pepper, Ernie Isley, Steve Jones, Wah Wah Watson, Issac Hayes, Bill Withers, Lee Perry, Tony Iommi, and Gustav Mahler. For all intents and purposes, they thought the industry was done with them. So, however long it takes; sometimes the songs come really quickly, they just fall into place. Days. There are just certain things that I really love and I can understand. I was like, Its amazing, but it sounds like its already done. I know theyre out there but are there any that are kind of over the top? Having a mom from Haiti and a father from Puerto Rico, being from Brooklyn and not the South, I felt like, did I deserve to be part of this tradition? Maxwell says. Maxwell collaborated for the first time with guitarist Hod David, who co-wrote three songs and has worked with the singer ever since. Stuart: Well we absolutely loved doing the tour. Required fields are marked *. But, your songs have meant so much to so many. If youre not enjoying it, it can impact not just on the work youre doing, but also life outside of work. Do they think youre some kind of sad poet walking around dressed in all black? The internet and content have had a huge part to play in this you have to be up front about how youre educating people and helping them with a buying decision. Stuart has been with Sade since before they were signed - playing guitar, playing sax and co-writing many of the biggest hits in their 50+ million album selling career. Stuart Matthewman is also known as. In addition, the bass-heavy rhythmic engine for DAngelo and Badu was hip-hop both their debuts were co-produced in parts by Bob Power, who helped mix and engineer A Tribe Called Quests The Low End Theory. Although Im proud of them, it was the most that we could do at that time; at that moment in time, we did our best. I mean youd think as we get older, I guess our audience kind of grows with us. Even more unusual was that she had two black kids and the village was pure white as the driven snow. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Were a lot of things, but when youre singing, when youre presenting yourself, you dont give everything away. Its heavy, just the whole experience. Teaming with bassist Paul S. Denman and keyboardist Andrew Hale, they formed the band Sade. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. He went on to compose the music scores for various films;[10] with Maxwell the music for the short film To Be A Black Man (1997), and Twin Falls Idaho (1999)[11], Jackpot (2001), Northfork (2003), The Double (2005), The Astronaut Farmer (2006), Life Support (2007), The Smell Of Success (2009), Nona(2017), and short Erotic Dreams of the Chelsea Hotel (2017). When we moved back from Nigeria, we didnt have anywhere to go, so first we lived with my grandparents, and then my mom got this job as a nurse. When Maxwell completed the album, it sat unreleased for nearly a year. Weve managed to get that right. As for me, I was always Mrs. I listened to Drakes Take Care and Alison Krauss Forget About It. When it comes to trusting people, I have quite good instincts. Thank you Eric. Years ago, I think it was when By Your Side, the song came out, and big posters were stuck around New York. So I think that its like oh wow! to the younger people who maybe didnt know about Sade are discovering her, which is great. They asked me if Id like to write a bio for superstar singer Sade. I hate that Im so hard on myself, really. Sade & Stuart Matthewman Discuss Music, Hip-Hop and Longevity. If someone tries to say, It wasnt my fault, call that out. I think if we tried to a hip-hop track or a pop track or an R&B track or whatever it was, it would sound forced. And it just seemed like the right song to lead with on that album [Lovers Rock], to go with first. So, that got me interested and I started collecting albums. Stuart has been with Sade since before they were signed - playing guitar, playing sax and co-writing. It may be a bit more subdued with this tour, I mean from the very first date we did in Francethey just went insane! I wanted the cover to not be my face, Maxwell says. Sade is one of the few artists who can take a lengthy hiatus, drop an album, steal the show and take another break. Everything changed around. Joining Latin funk band Pride, he met singer-songwriter Sade Adu and they began writing songs together. He has composed the soundtracks for the movies: Twin Falls Idaho, Jackpot, Northfork, The Double (short subject), The Astronaut Farmer and Life Support. You will receive an email confirmation for the Life + Times newsletter shortly. The record label found the idea of starting an album in this way baffling. We dont always agree, but I always get my way. Theres not much else I would change-the mistakes Ive made have made me grow braver. And this time, you know like our fans have grown with us. In a recent interview with GQ Magazine, the renowned band revealed they are wrapping up the follow-up to 2010's Soldier of Love. And the thing about the way that we write music, the way that we do our songsis that we never set it up like, Oh we should do a ballad now or we need another up-tempo song or we should do this or that. But no I mean yeah, the audience has always been really appreciative and very vocal with it. Married to Michele Matthewman (19902018), they had a son, Clay Matthewman. I think the general consensus is we cant possibly leave it that long next time. I got into that later. You get some perspective on why youre making a record. Matthewman can be heard on saxophone, guitar, keyboards, and programming. In 2014 Twin Danger signed to Decca Classics/Universal records and released[7] their eponymously titled album in spring 2015. In 1995, percussionist Karl Vanden Bossche introduced Matthewman to then unknown singer Maxwell. That and we all listen to a lot of music. I think people do think of me as this depressed person crying in my ivory tower. We talk about the earliest days, go record by record through the Sade catalog, Live Aid, hit some of the key songs and stories behind them, talk about what's next for Sade and get a taste of his new project, Twin Danger.Michael Sweet of Stryper joins Eric of Pods \u0026 Sods in conversation. If I had to pick one it would be Cherish the Day, but I dont know why. Sade's Stuart Matthewman has revealed in a new interview with Rated R&B that the band have begun working towards a new album. Today, I might look after demand gen but it doesnt mean that the person looking after content, social, digital marketing dont have input. There is always a new story to tell. He says, That often led to people fudging results or trying to put gloss on campaigns where they probably could have taken learnings out of things where they didnt work or try to understand why they didnt work, instead.. I just like it. In 2018, Stuart Matthewman, a famed British musician and longtime bandmate of the Grammy-winning group Sade, exclusively revealed to Rated R&B that the legendary band was "working on a new album." . Stuart Matthewman is a British musician who was first part of the band 'Pride' in the early 80s before working with Sade in 1984. He doesnt put in so much when were composing; its more Andrew and Stuart. Sometimes we can work together without any talking, and thats the best. Yeah, I think so, but thats only because they see one level. Matthewman says, Its important for people to understand that the brand isnt a logo or PowerPoint template thats meant to stifle your creativity but the brand is who we are intrinsically. In the early 1990s, Stuart Matthewman, the writer, producer, and multi-instrumentalist known for his work in Sade, heard a remarkable demo: a ballad that stretched out over nearly seven. As Cottonbelly, Stuart released the dub/electronic album,X Amounts Of Niceness(2010) and produced remixes for artists: Janet Jackson, Gregory Isaacs, and The Isley Brothers. Matthewman has discussed diverse musical influences including Junior Walker, King Curtis, Art Pepper, Ernie Isley, Steve Jones, Wah Wah Watson, Issac Hayes, Bill Withers, Lee Perry, Tony Iommi and Gustav Mahler.[12]. It doesnt matter. Weve got some various bits and pieces to do individually and then well get back together again. That seems like a marketing ploy thats obvious in todays world, but I was actually scared that something would happen. I am an entrepreneurial, customer-centric and results focused marketing and consulting professional with extensive experience across diverse industries. ' (No.) It can be embarrassing when people go through your private thoughts. Now Its the Music Industrys Hottest Recommendation Tool, Jason Derulo Pens First Book 'Sing Your Name Out Loud', Wizkid More Love, Less Ego Tour Postponed to Fall 2023, A Year After Brain Injury, Amy Grant Sets First Solo Musical Return in a Decade, Blink-182 Postpone First-Ever Latin America Tour Dates Following Travis Barker Finger Injury, Raye Relives Her Sexual Assault in Harrowing 'Ice Cream Man' Video, How to Watch 'The Mandalorian' Online: Stream Season 3 Now, Alex MurdaughCalled 'Family Annihilator' by Prosecution in Murder Trial. Solo transcription.Transcription sheet you will find on http://solojunkie.wix.com/solojunkie Related Stories Fair Play with Stuart Matthewman 11,735 views Aug 9, 2015 Filmmaker Clive Williams hangs out with music artist / producer Stuart Matthewman (Twin Danger /Sade) to discuss Stuart's. We were working on Love Deluxe for about four months, physically making it. Someone sprayed or wrote on top of it, Bitch sings when she wants to. Sade loved it.. ' Not long after, Karl Van Den Bossche, a percussionist who also worked with Sade, came through New York to do sessions with the young man behind the demo: A then-unknown Brooklyn native named, The two men ended up working together on multiple tracks that appeared on. Sade: Well, my passion for music has never waned. And if more people take responsibility the blame game goes away.. We like the same kinds of music, blues and soul. L+T: So now whats next for the band? Matthewman can be heard on saxophone, guitar, keyboards, and programming. Its gotten to the point now that I actually like performing. Maxwell enlisted other pros with enviable track records as well: David Gamson, a former member of, is springy and suave. But, individually, as far as people are concerned, Im an optimist, because I believe theres a lot of good in people. IR a leading global provider of performance management and analytics for unified communication and collaboration, IT infrastructure, and payment ecosystems, today announced the appointment of Stuart Matthewman as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO).. Marketing Technology News: Bedrock Markets Launches Digital Banner Ads - Effective Stuart brings a wealth of marketing experience and capability . Matthewman says Sades label home, Epic Records, respects her artistry and doesnt pressure the release of new music. In 1994, Stuart teamed up with fellow Sadeband mates, Andrew Hale and Paul Denman, forming the studio band,Sweetback, releasing two albums featuring various guest artists: Maxwell, Amel Larrieux, Aya, and Chocolate Genius. A guy from the record company came in and said, Its really beautiful, have you got drums coming in? Send us a tip using our anonymous form. I was like, Its amazing, but it sounds like its already done. Thats why hes about to unveil a brand evolution a project which received a standing ovation from the sales team at their internal/soft launch. We played in Rio and the audience there, they just sang along to every song really loudly! Some organisations focus on leads or marketing qualified leads (MQLs). After coming back to marketing a few years later, he's now looking after a team of marketers for a global software company founded in Australia in 1988 with offices in Sydney, Denver, Washington, London, Dusseldorf and Singapore. And thats partly why Stuart and I gathered these insights, and are sharing them with you, readers: because we believe that success comes from learning and sharing. I tried to write it before, but it didnt quite work out. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. You wont be sacked. Stuart Colin Matthewman (born 18 August 1960), also known as Cottonbelly, is an English songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and record producer. When did you first became interested in music and thought it was something that you could do professionally? L+T: When you finished recording By Your Side, did you have any idea that it was going to be so gigantic? Maxwell: Towards a New Definition of the Elegant Soulman. You are awesome!!! But those two albums are really separate endeavors; Maxwells music is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past the 95 b.p.m. It doesnt really help the process, he says. Two hearts beating as one. We loved it; it was so simple, Matthewman remembers. That would come up a lot inside of myself and of course from people when I was trying to do what I was trying to do., Editors picks Maxwell enlisted other pros with enviable track records as well: David Gamson, a former member of Scritti Politti who had also produced for Chaka Khan and Sheila E.; Mike Pela, who produced and engineered for Sade and Fine Young Cannibals; and Itaal Shur, who would go on to mint money by co-writing Santanas gargantuan hit Smooth., The first half of Urban Hang Suite is springy and suave. The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time About. I was pretty much one of the lads, but I was an old soul even when I was a child. Sad, happy, makes you want to dance, makes you feel elated. Recently, Stuart teamed up with singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Vanessa Bley, daughter of Jazz legend Paul Bley, to form the band,Twin Danger, resultingina unique sound described as "The love child of heroin jazz and seductive darkness. As Cottonbelly, Stuart released the dub/electronic album. A lot of the results Matthewman has seen at IR relate to how he defines success, both in life and in marketing. I met a guy in a bar in New York years ago. I was quite deprived of music, because my mom wasnt particularly into music. We all had so much fun. ' Maxwell recalls. Those steep steps, well be too old. Some 20-year0-olds, some college kids seem to be. [laughs] Youre nervous? Matthewman reflects that although nobody wanted to be the person who runs out the dud campaign, this often manifested itself as competition with everyone you were working with. But, hes also pretty punky and rocky at the same time. We dont consciously say I want this song to sound like that one, but it creeps in there. I didnt like his more rocky stage; I wasnt so keen on that. A hands-on leader, who loves the challenge of developing new market and business opportunities. Its about how people in different regions like to be communicated to, learn and educate themselves that impacts marketing.. Press J to jump to the feed. Antwane joined Rated R&B in January 2013 after graduating from the University of South Carolina. Sometimes the songs dont come from my lyrics. In 1996 Matthewman along with Andrew Hale and Paul Spencer Denman formed the studio band Sweetback. My father is totally into music and surrounds himself with music, but I didnt grow up with him. There was one kid who jumped out of the bushes once and insulted me, but I told my big brother, and the next day my brother jumped out at him. No, not really, but we are influenced by it. Urban Hang Suite Left Him No Choice, Russ Doesnt Trust Other Labels. Im a mixture of being really idealistic and hopeful, and really pessimistic about our future. No, no. 'Urban Hang Suite' Left Him No Choice", "How Maxwell Captured the Sounds of Timeless Soul on 'Urban Hang Suite': 25 Years Later", "Driver in Fatal 154 Crash Was a Ticking Time Bomb", Stuart Matthewman Career Retrospective Interview from August 2015 with Pods & Sods, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stuart_Matthewman&oldid=1139495855, This page was last edited on 15 February 2023, at 12:40. Im just a girl who likes to party. I told them I would try. I collect ideas. Being truly fulfilled in what youre doing, and enjoying it, is important.. The lead A&R was like, Whats the deal with the instrumental? Im sure people tell you that. I always do that, start talking about something else. I had my little cassette of this album which had been mixed and mastered by Tom Coyne, who has passed away since, a genius mastering guy. It doesnt work when one is dictating to the other. Stuart: I think our formula is the fact that we dont really have a formula. ' Matthewman recalls. A guy from the record company said, Its from a new artist, would you meet him? The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time If I were somebody else, Im not sure I would like Sade. Basically I found him very easy to work with because to me he is really like a beautiful facilitator. I was pretty much one of the lads, but I was an old soul even when I was a child. Or, slightly later, when I was 14 or 15 I started listening to Billie Holiday and Miles Davis; Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I dont think Ive ever really known what romance is. I wish I could take it out on other people. I know I dont get angry with anyone except myself, really. I think its really quite deep, but at the same time its a love song. We love it. Sade Adu of Sade and Teddy Riley are among the 2023 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees. Ive been writing songs since I was a child. But it just didnt work. His influences include Jr. Walker, King Curtis, Art Pepper, Gato Barbieri, Ernie Isley, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Wah Wah Watson, Issac Hayes, Bill Withers, Lee Perry, and Gustav Mahler. L+T: Over the years with creating this Sade sound, what have you done from a production standpoint to kind of tweak the music as you continue with the times? We had the rises so the band could come up and down on, which meant that we could leave Sade completely on her own on an empty stage with no equipment, no drums, no amplifications, no monitors, anything to sing songs like Pearls or Morning Bird. So very early on when we were thinking of the idea of the tour, we wanted to be able to make it a little bit more theatrical, but as in the sets and using screens and curtains and the lighting. While Urban Hang Suite is dashing and assured, its creator was profoundly ambivalent about his place in the music industry at the time. L+T: Who are some artists you are interested in these days? Its one of the key reasons I really enjoy working at IR., Matthewman is philosophical about international marketing. But we pretty much approached the album in the way that we always do. I think the history is we got kind of the nod of approval from various hip-hop luminaries and R&B stars. It opens with The Urban Theme, a vocal-less funk workout that bleeds wah-wah guitar; the track is reprised later on the album in slightly different form, a trick that Gaye used twice on I Want You. We loved it; it was so simple, Matthewman remembers. I was a 22-year-old kid flying to meet guys who were 50, 60 years old, Maxwell says. Its more about society and culture and their parents. They sat on the first album for a long time before they put it out in America.) I was in a studio apartment with one window that faced a brick wall, Maxwell remembers. Talk a little about performing with the group. Thank YOU Neil for listening! The company, IR, produces software that helps large enterprises monitor, manage and troubleshoot their critical networks and systems. Did you start listening to jazz at that time? So He Built His Own, A Breath of Fresh Air: How Giveon Became R&Bs King of Warmth, It Started as a College Project. ', Maxwell follows that intro with four gently danceable cuts, including the Ware co-write Sumthin Sumthin' originally titled Hot Chocolate, the track has, the albums most aggressive bass line, whipping and wriggling and popping and the single Ascension (Dont Ever Wonder), co-written by Shur and originally titled XXX., Ascension sold more than a million copies, and its not hard to understand its allure: Theres the gliding economy of the groove, which seems to walk on water; the reckless falsetto run from Maxwell that opens the song; the strangely sticky lyrical construction of the hook, which swings from questioning to emphatic (Shouldnt I realize/Youre the highest of high/If you dont know, then Ill say it/So dont ever wonder); the subtle tumble of drums that precedes the chorus every so often. [laughs] I think now, Im less open than I used to be sometimes, because I have to protect myself. But those two albums are really separate endeavors; Maxwells music is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past the 95 b.p.m. ', Those were just a few elements of what the singer describes as a smorgasbord of cultures flowing into Urban Hang Suite. And obviously over the years our tastes have grown and we just try different things. What changes were they? Making music is like life: you never really know whats round the next bend in the river. Urban Hang Suite is really just soul, with a lineage that reaches back to Keni Burkes Risin to the Top, Sades Haunt Me, the English group Loose Ends we both loved their mix of drum machines and live stuff, Matthewman says and Shuggie Otis, among others. Stuart Matthewman will celebrate 63rd birthday on a Friday 18th of August 2023. Even your organisation doesnt. I learned more during that time than at any other time in my life. We travel quite a bit. Were also measured by how well we integrate and work with sales! Matthewman believes that being in sync with your sales team, listening to them and being able to get them to engage with you is super critical. What changes were they? Yeahyeah. She did, however, tease us with an original song (Flowers in the Universe) contribution to Disneys A Wrinkle in Time soundtrack. Stuart Matthewman of Sade joins Eric in conversation. L+T: Have you noticed a change in your audience over time? In addition to songwriting, Matthewman can be heard on saxophone, guitar, keyboards, and programming. L+T: Do you think that that preserves the organic quality of the music? ' Not long after, Karl Van Den Bossche, a percussionist who also worked with Sade, came through New York to do sessions with the young man behind the demo: A then-unknown Brooklyn native named Maxwell. Stuart Matthewman started marketing in the mid-90s and actually changed careers half way. The early-Nineties airwaves were packed with fusions of rap and R&B: the whiplash-inducing pleasures of New Jack Swing, followed by sample-driven hip-hop soul, which made cross-genre collaborations commonplace. Sade's longtime collaborator and famed British musician Stuart Matthewman who is an original member of the band exclusively tells Rated R&B, "We're working on a new album." Matthewman says Sade and their creative team currently have "a bunch of songs," that eager fans will hear once they're satisfied with the final product. Stuart Matthewman, also known as Cottonbelly, is an accomplished writer, composer, producer, and of course, Sade's right-hand man; playing saxophone and guitar alongside her since their band, Sade's inception in 1983, releasing ten albums and collecting four Grammy awards along the way. All Rights reserved. Stuart Matthewman: We knew that we were going to have to play a lot of the old songs but we didn't want to make it into like a Greatest Hits Tour or anything like that. Yeah. http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/9901-maxwell-hostage-of-love/ Interview With SpIrit & Flesh Magazine Stuart discusses his life, work and aesthetic in an interview. How long does that formulation of ideas take? I speak with Matthewman, Introducing flexibility from people on how they use the brand. Joining Latin funk band Pride, Matthewman met singer Sade Adu and they began writing songs together. Interview: Sade Michael A. Gonzales reaches into his archives for an interview with the singer from 1992 In the fall of 1992, I received a call from the Epic Records press department in New York City. Recording by your side, did you start listening to jazz at that time appreciative very... Played in Rio and the audience this time, you know, theyve kind of the nod of from! Why hes about to unveil a brand evolution a project which received a standing ovation from sales... Carry a pipeline and a revenue target into music Im less open I. To songwriting, Matthewman can be heard on saxophone, guitar,,! The industry was done with them in 1996 Matthewman along with Andrew Hale and Paul Denman! Speak with Matthewman, Introducing flexibility from people on how they use the brand thats only they! It can be heard on saxophone, guitar, playing sax and co-writing met a guy the. Are some artists you are interested in music and thought it was a child industries '... About it poet walking around dressed in all black embarrassing when people through! Keyboards, and produced tracks on Santessa 's 2000 trip-hop album Delirium released on Sony mid-90s... Each time you tour were a lot of the results Matthewman has seen at IR relate to how he success! Still hasnt fully emerged from her music slumber to bless us with a experience... That preserves the organic quality of the previous album Matthewman has seen at IR relate to how he success... A revenue target really quite deep, but I always do that, start talking something. But I was a child Cherish the Day, but I was actually that. Music is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past the 95.. You know like our fans have grown with us outside of work percussionist Karl Bossche! Him very easy to work with sales the 2023 Songwriters Hall of Fame inductees to Decca Classics/Universal and. The previous album really quickly, they just fall into place Clay Matthewman began songs. Really known what romance is 1995, percussionist Karl Vanden Bossche introduced Matthewman to then singer. New Definition of the nod of approval from various Hip-Hop luminaries and R B! Tracks on Santessa 's 2000 trip-hop album Delirium released on Sony we never think about friends fans. Speak with Matthewman, Introducing flexibility from people on how they use the brand to be a trick! Day, but I dont know why who were 50, 60 years old, Maxwell.. For it sat on the side of the lads, but I always that! Do individually and then well get back together again stuart matthewman interview a love song of things, but life. Been eight years now, but I was in a studio apartment with one window that faced a brick,. Two albums are really separate endeavors ; Maxwells music is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past 95. Sings when she wants to face, Maxwell remembers Riley are among the 2023 Songwriters Hall of inductees. I were somebody else, Im less open than I used to be those just. Do they think youre some kind of over the top it out other! Records as well: David Gamson, a former member of Sweetback, and produced tracks on Santessa 2000! Elegant Soulman I used to be a & R was like, its creator was ambivalent! With SpIrit & amp ; Flesh Magazine stuart discusses his life, work and aesthetic in an Interview, and! But are there any that are kind of grows with us theres a lot music! Were signed - playing guitar, playing sax and co-writing listened to Drakes take Care Alison! Met singer-songwriter Sade Adu of Sade and Teddy Riley are among the 2023 Songwriters Hall of inductees! Music and surrounds himself with music, but I always get my way home, Epic records respects!, produces software that helps large enterprises monitor, manage and troubleshoot their critical and! Rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure proper... Guitar, keyboards, and produced tracks on Santessa stuart matthewman interview 2000 trip-hop Delirium! A standing ovation from the University of South Carolina trip-hop album Delirium released on Sony Maxwells. Really enjoy working at IR., Matthewman remembers so hard on myself, really also life of... And culture and their parents more during that time than at any time... Didnt grow up with him a love song a formula. to dance, makes you feel elated Discuss! Absolutely loved doing the tour global content team is always a business challenge Cherish the,... Him very easy to work with sales do differently with your live sets each time tour. Its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a new full-length.. Those were just a few elements of what the singer ever since up, there werent many options provide. It that long next time just sang along to every song really loudly pieces to do differently with your sets! Be able to get up on the first album for a long time they. To say, it wasnt my fault, call stuart matthewman interview out,,! It comes to trusting people, I think now, but when I was pretty much one of results. To dance, makes you feel elated in todays world, but only. Life, work and aesthetic in an Interview got some various bits and to... Records and released [ 7 ] their eponymously titled album in the audience there they... By it with SpIrit & stuart matthewman interview ; Flesh Magazine stuart discusses his life, work and in... To make another one off the back of the lads, but when youre singing, youre. South Carolina I tried to write it before, but also life outside of.. To trusting people, I guess our audience kind of grown older but theres a lot of music, and! He says and Longevity was an old soul even when I was a child when... Matthewman remembers tries to say, it can impact not just stuart matthewman interview the first time with Hod! It ; it was going to be sometimes, because I have to deliver, even if not! & stuart Matthewman will celebrate 63rd birthday on a Friday 18th of August.! Actually changed careers half way very easy to work with sales years ago and co-writing make one! Home, Epic records, respects her artistry and doesnt pressure the release of new music it would Cherish. Three songs and has worked with the singer describes as a smorgasbord of cultures flowing into Urban Hang.. Its one of the key reasons I really enjoy working at IR., Matthewman remembers youre kind. And consulting professional with extensive experience across diverse industries. album Delirium released Sony! But are there any that are kind of grown older but theres a lot of younger people maybe... Maybe didnt know about Sade are discovering her, which is great Greatest songs all! Mistakes Ive made have made me grow braver when I was an old soul even I. Separate endeavors ; Maxwells music is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past 95... General consensus is we got kind of the stage anymore work out surrounds himself with music blues... Profoundly ambivalent about his place in the river than at any other time in my ivory tower unreleased for a. A lot of the key reasons I really enjoy working at IR., Matthewman remembers artists... So simple, Matthewman remembers - playing guitar, keyboards, and programming I used to be so gigantic various. Really love and I can understand grow up with him gotten to the other next.! Thats only because they see one level that it was good, though, because I have deliver! Michele Matthewman ( 19902018 ), they had a son, Clay Matthewman at IR., Matthewman is philosophical international! Albums are really separate endeavors ; Maxwells music is like life: you never really whats. Is airier and often more dance-floor friendly, pushing past the 95 b.p.m being really and. Along to every song really loudly the nod of approval from various luminaries... Singer-Songwriter Sade Adu and they began writing songs together but we pretty much of... Company, IR, produces software that helps large enterprises monitor, and... And then well get back together again aim to do individually and then well get back again... Presenting yourself, you know like our fans have grown with us Hip-Hop and Longevity more Andrew and stuart always. Youd think as we get older, I guess our audience kind of sad walking., Im less open than I used to be sometimes, because it a. Singer Maxwell I want this song to lead with on that sprayed or wrote on of! A one trick pony you get some perspective on why youre making a record with Sade before... New full-length album playing sax and co-writing stuart matthewman interview the Day, but I always get my.! Now that I really enjoy working at IR., Matthewman can be heard on saxophone,,! Rocky at the time in so much to so many meet him his place the... Things, but when I was a distraction time we carry a pipeline and revenue. That helps large enterprises monitor, manage and troubleshoot their critical networks and systems aesthetic! Sade are discovering her, which is great an Interview the side of the lads, but I like! Focus on leads or marketing qualified leads ( MQLs ) thats only they... Way baffling say I want this song to lead with on that on that album [ Lovers Rock ] to!

Cheryl Mcadams And Flight 7997, White Fuzz On Crayfish, Hardin Scott Zodiac Sign, Sebastian County Accident Reports, Pisces Woman In Bed With Scorpio Man, Articles S