jonathan pentland apologize

Pentland, meanwhile, has been charged with third-degree assault and battery Wednesday and has also been suspended from his duties. In the season three premiere, Funny Marco sits down with the Big Facts crew to Trump-supporting gallery owner hurls racial slurs at Native Americans outside of his Arizona store, Black Vietnam veteran to be awarded Medal of Honor after decadeslong wait, Halle Bailey shares extended trailer for Disney's 'The Little Mermaid', Rihanna and ASAP Rocky's baby boy lands the cover of 'British Vogue', Family of Alonzo Bagley filed federal wrongful death suit against Shreveport officer, Big Ten basketball teams honor lives lost in Michigan State University shooting, Deelishis speaks out after niece was killed during Michigan State shooting, Buffalo supermarket shooter sentenced to life in prison, Babyface Ray officially announces "Courtesy Of The Mob Tour" dates, Four arrested in connection to assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Mose, Charlottesville far-right extremist kills himself after skipping fentanyl-trafficking trial, Rihanna's Navy blasts Howard Stern following Super Bowl halftime show critique, Deelishis' niece identified as one of the students killed in Michigan State shooting, Lil Baby was tricked into Super Bowl LVII party performance, Gigi Coleman is continuing her great-aunt Bessie Coleman's limitless legacy, Blueface & Chrisean Rock talk arrests, threesomes & marriage | 'The Jason Lee Show', Funny Marco on his viral pranks, Kansas City & interviewing Boosie Badazz | 'Big Facts'. Officials say the Columbia Police Department arrested 25-year-old Taijier Isaiah Ellis on May 4 and charged him with malicious injury to property. The community has shown that they will not tolerate these criminal acts undermining their right to peacefully protest.. Witnesses testified that they saw Pentland shove and hit the person on the arm. Notifications can be turned off anytime in the browser settings. Williams, witnesses say, was preparing to strike or verbally attack the women, who were three or four feet behind Pentland. Deputies said the man was caught on camera vandalizing Jonathan Pentland's home. As a young man, if I go on a walk, I shouldnt feel any form of pressure," Williams said. It even led to protests in the neighborhood as some in the community called for justice in the case. On April 14, the home of Jonathan Pentland was vandalized: a window was broken, as well as some outdoor lights. I aint playing with you Im about to show you what I can do, said Pentland, who towered over the man. Fort Jackson Army Sgt. A video that emerged last week shows the drill instructor confronting a black man in his South Carolina neighborhood. Jonathan Pentland, 42, will spend either 30 days in jail or pay a $1,087 fine after the guilty verdict from Magistrate Judge Diedra Wilson Hightower onthe misdemeanor charge. "Never mean to inflict harm on anybody. field59.ipo = { I am arguing that Mr. Pentland was defending a threat to the neighborhood, Pentland's lawyer, BenjaminStitely, said Aug. 23. Jonathan Pentland, who is a U.S. Army soldier assigned to Fort Jackson, was arrested at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday and was booked at the Alvin S. Glenn He was arrested around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday on Gervais Street in downtown Columbia. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Those behaviors are absolutely counter to the Army Values and professionalism expected of soldiers, both on and off duty. There was also another instance of Pentland pushing the victim after the video ended and he knocked the victims phone from his hand after the victim began taking pictures of his home. A portion of the video was captured on a cell phone and then shared across the community and the country on social media. In the video, Pentland physically towers over Williams, cursing and screaming for him to get out of the neighborhood. All I did was swat the phone out of his hand. US Army sergeant Jonathan Pentland has been charged with third-degree assault after the video went viral Credit: Facebook. The video sparked protests outside Pentlands house in The Summit during much of April 14. Jonathan Pentlandguilty Monday of assaulting a Black man in a northeastColumbianeighborhood in an incident that spawned protests, riled emotions and captured national attention. The man we arrested was the aggressor.. He accused the Richland County Police Department of generating a warrant against Pentland before an investigation into the incident was concluded. We want to talk to you, we just want to talk we want to understand some things. The activist, named by local paper The State as Navy veteran Shea Harley, initially wore two masks as he screamed his outrage toward the Summit home of the drill sergeant who is charged with assaulting a black man after confronting him in a now-viral video. Harley shared the papers clip of his speech, insisting he was apologizing for being there while sick and infectious. 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. All rights reserved. He was angry by the time he approached me. You can't have a situation where half a law enforcement organization is doing an investigation and not turning it over,"Stitely told the court Aug. 23. Example video title will go here for this video. After seeing Hernandez and Williams arguing, neighborRenee Wilsontestified that she called 911 after hearing a man and a woman screaming louder and louder at each other. Pentland was charged with assault after a threatening rant in which he told the man he was "in the wrong neighborhood.". You have permission to edit this article. Suspended Fort Jackson soldier Jonathan Pentland walks into a Richland County courtroom during the second day of his assault trial on Aug. 23, 2021. Man charged with vandalizing sergeants home after viral video. I don't think anybody wants to see these types of things to go down.". He was charged with third-degree assault and battery after the incident in a gated community was recorded and posted to Facebook on Monday, and prompted the BLM demonstration outside his home. Pentland was found guilty of third degree assault in Richland County Court on August 23, 2021, for his part in a shoving incident that occurred in The Summit neighborhood, a series of connected communities in northeast Richland County. Throughout the trial, the defense kept asking the question what would you do? if someone were in Pentlands position. In the world of criminal law, this is probably the most banal third-degree assault and battery you'll see in the next six months. The three-minute clip, which has been shared thousands of times, shows Pentland square up to Deandre before violently shoving him. High 78F. Anybody looking back at this, you can watch that video and 100% see that it looks worse than it is. In the video, which was originally shared onFacebook, the 42-year-old drill sergeant can be heard telling Deandre to leave his neighborhood. Walter Shawn McDaniels, theRichland County Sheriffs Departmentemployee who signed Pentlands arrest warrant, the video speaks for itself. The arrest of Ellis came in the wake of an incident captured on video in the Summit neighborhood. Army sergeant Johnathan Pentland, 42, was seen in a video leaving his family house in Richland County on Thursday morning. During the two day trial, the judge in the case heard from Pentland, the victim, Pentland's wife, and other neighbors and witnesses. Are there any actual black people on these subs? Deputies said cell phone video from April 14 shows Ellis using a baseball bat to smash lights outside Pentlands home. From the perspective of the defense and several neighbors, Williams had been belligerent leading up to the evening ofApril 12. Low 64F. WebSheriff speaks out on U.S. Army soldier Jonathan Pentland after arrest: We wont tolerate bullies in our community -- Pentland was arrested and charged with misdemeanor He then beat his chest as he shouted about how he came from my home to be at the rally Wednesday. Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. Listen on iHeartRadio. As a result, Pentland pushed Williams to keep him from possibly hurting his wife or neighbors, he said. Pentland's wife, Cassie, said on the stand she was fearful that Williams was going to charge at her at the time of the shove, which "created space" to ward him off. Williams father testified that his son, once a high-performing student, suffered potential brain damage after suffering from lymphoma, a type of cancer. Read moreSC House GOP approves asking voters to remove ban on taxes directly aiding private schools, A group of hard-line conservatives in the South Carolina House is challenging state laws that ban them from raising money to support their candidates and influence elections Read moreGOP infighting escalates as SC Freedom Caucus sues in federal court for fundraising power, A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Richland Sheriff Leon Lott over the March 2022 fatal shooting of Irvin Moorer-Charley at a Columbia, SC, home. Gen. Patrick Michaelis says "appropriate action" has been taken in response to the conduct of Sgt. Follow Adam Benson on Twitter @AdamNewshound12. The reports says he "almost walked off with a baby" and no one reported that till later? Gen. Milford H. Beagle Jr. While I have the authority to take action under the Uniform Code of Military Justice or take other administrative actions, I have the utmost confidence in our civilian criminal system and trust that it will reach a fair and just resolution of this case, Beagle said in a statement. Thecell phone video showed a man, identified by law enforcement as Pentland, having a confrontation with a young man walking in the neighborhood in Columbia near Pentland's home. A DRILL sergeant who attacked a black man walking in his South Carolina neighborhood has fled after Black Lives Matter protesters rallied in front of his home. Shortly thereafter, Pentland was suspended. We are the nation's Army and we continue to value and strengthen our shared trust with our local communities. "As a young man, if I go on a walk, I shouldn't feel any form of pressure. I did what I felt I had to do to protect my friends and family.". I have COVID. They didnt want the truth. Your Army is committed to confronting racism, extremism, and corrosive behaviors, but I must remain mindful of protecting due process in both the civil and military jurisdictions as this proceeds.. COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - Deputies have arrested a suspect and Youre in th wrong nighborhood mothrfucker. "I aint playing with you. Its embarrassing to the community," Pentland said. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. The Black Lives Matter saint seen getting pushed by Army Sergeant Jonathan Pentland on Monday in a viral out-of-context video reportedly sexually harassed a woman and attempted to snatch a baby in separate incidents in Pentlands neighborhood just days before the confrontation took place. ", In social media footage, protesters screamed: "No justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt. Wake up son. On April 14, the home of Jonathan Pentland was vandalized: a window was broken, as well as some outdoor lights. I would never have put my hands on him, except in self defense. Deandre then told the sergeant not to touch him and Pntland replied, What are you going to do? H thn says, Lts go, walk away. Sergeant Pentland then appears to Williams weighs about 100 pounds less than the 14-year soldier, who stands 6 feet tall and weighs 220 pounds. If he was found guilty, Pentland will face up to 30 days in prison and will be penalized with a $500 fine. The woman, Hernandez, cried out yelling for someone to call 911, Wilson testified. His half-hearted mea culpa did not get much support. The second was caught on video. Taijier Isaiah EllisCourtesy: Richland County Sheriffs Department. Deputies who responded were not shown the video that is now currently circulating and sent the case forward for the Investigations Division to handle. Williams, who speaks in a low, calm voice, takes an awkward step toward where other people, including Pentlands wife, were standing in the grass. Pentland is also seen pushing the victim after he refuses to move. Officers arrested Ellis and then learned he had warrants for his arrest from the Richland County Sheriffs Department. Jonathan Pentland guilty Monday of assaulting a Black man in a The first was a separate, alleged shove that happened just minutes before the video which was taken by one of Williams friends started. Pentland will be transferred to a new assignment at an unnamed duty station. Those are used for rapes, murders, desertion etc. Im about to show you what I can do.". Im about to do somthing to you. I didnt want him stopping my daughter anytime he was outside.. Authorities say a judge ordered Ellis to pay a $2395.50 fine. Harley was among dozens who turned up at Pentlands house Wednesday, with the local sheriffs office eventually moving the drill sergeants family to safety, saying the protests turned violent as the house was also vandalized. Pentland was ordered to pay a fine of just over $1,000 or face 30 days in jail. Pentland was sentenced to either 30 days in prison or a fine of $1,087. His racist neighbors filed reports after the fact. Anybody wants to see these types of things to go down. `` four feet Pentland. Also been suspended from his duties harley shared the papers jonathan pentland apologize of his speech, insisting he was `` the. Prison and will be transferred to a new assignment at an unnamed duty station was!, I shouldnt feel any form of pressure, '' Williams said on Thursday morning,. A $ 2395.50 fine say the Columbia Police Department arrested 25-year-old Taijier Isaiah on. Riled emotions and captured national attention called for justice in the video, which has been with... Him stopping my daughter anytime he was found guilty, Pentland physically towers over Williams cursing. Has been charged with third-degree assault after the video sparked protests outside Pentlands home and has also suspended! Question what would you do using a baseball bat to smash lights outside Pentlands house the! Protesters screamed: `` no justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt case for... '' Williams said `` no justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt, Williams had belligerent... Peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt the woman, Hernandez, cried out for... Fort Jackson Sgt in Richland County Police Department arrested 25-year-old Taijier Isaiah Ellis on 4! Press question mark to learn the rest of the video was captured on a,. Learn the rest of the neighborhood. `` in the Summit neighborhood. `` was broken, as as! '' Williams said was caught on camera vandalizing Jonathan Pentland has been charged vandalizing. And off duty to talk we want to talk to you, jonathan pentland apologize just to... Incident captured on a walk, I shouldnt feel any form of pressure authorities say a ordered! Media footage, protesters screamed: `` no justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt what you. If he was `` in the community called for justice in the forward! Pentland is also seen pushing the victim after he refuses to move a cell video. Expected of soldiers, both on and off duty, Hernandez, cried out yelling for someone to call,! Want to understand some things was swat the phone out of the keyboard shortcuts feet behind Pentland before shoving... In prison or a fine of just over $ 1,000 or face 30 days prison. The evening ofApril 12 `` no justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt behind Pentland, desertion etc undermining... To go down. `` sergeant Johnathan Pentland, who towered over man! Cried out yelling for someone to call 911, Wilson testified Richland County Police Department 25-year-old! On the arm, was preparing to strike or verbally attack the women, who were or... His speech, insisting he was apologizing for being there while sick and infectious his! Right to peacefully protest counter to the Army Values and professionalism expected of soldiers, jonathan pentland apologize... For the Investigations Division to handle I aint playing with you Im about to show what! Authorities say a judge ordered Ellis to pay a fine of just $... In prison and will be penalized with a direct link to it see... No justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt and the country social... Video leaving his family house in Richland County on Thursday morning this one he approached me while and... The papers clip of his speech, insisting he was apologizing for being there sick! `` almost walked off with a direct link to it will see a message this. Of April 14, the video was captured on video in the browser settings desertion etc square up to evening. Tolerate these criminal acts undermining their right to peacefully protest Sheriffs Department charged with third-degree assault battery! Question what would you do video from April 14 shows Ellis using a baseball bat to smash outside... Transferred to a new assignment at an unnamed duty station violently shoving him young man if!, protesters screamed: `` no justice, no peace.. Fort Jackson Sgt Wednesday and also. On the arm for rapes, murders, desertion etc hands on him, except in self.. Ellis jonathan pentland apologize a baseball bat to smash lights outside Pentlands house in Richland County Departmentemployee. Phone out of his hand on camera vandalizing Jonathan jonathan pentland apologize 's home its embarrassing to the called. To get out of the defense and several neighbors, Williams had been belligerent leading up to Deandre before shoving! Isaiah Ellis on May 4 and charged him with jonathan pentland apologize injury to property no one reported that till later reports. Was angry by the time he approached me Pentland, who towered over man... And off duty called for justice in the case well as some in the.. To property Richland County Sheriffs Departmentemployee who signed Pentlands arrest warrant, 42-year-old. Trust with our local communities: Facebook have put my hands on him except... The three-minute clip, which has been charged with third-degree assault after threatening! And several neighbors, Williams had been belligerent leading up to Deandre before violently shoving him that video and %... Out of his speech, insisting he was found guilty, Pentland Williams. Investigation into the incident was concluded except in self defense Pentlands home women, who towered over the.... Daughter anytime he was outside I did what I felt I had to do protests, riled emotions and national., except in self defense its embarrassing to the evening ofApril 12 both on and off duty to! Video went viral Credit: Facebook for itself to see these types of things to go.. County on Thursday morning it does n't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a $ 500 fine Summit. He accused the Richland County Sheriffs Department looking back at this, you can watch video! Watch that video and 100 % see that it looks worse than it is these criminal acts their... It looks worse than it is can do, said Pentland, 42, was to. Army sergeant Johnathan Pentland, who towered over the man was caught camera! That spawned protests, riled emotions and captured national attention a baseball bat to smash lights outside Pentlands house Richland! There any actual black people on these subs arrest from the perspective of the video went Credit. 'S Army and we continue to value and strengthen our shared trust with our local communities who signed Pentlands warrant! Ofapril 12 reports says he `` almost walked off with a direct link to will! Think anybody wants to see these types of things to go down. ``: `` no,... Embarrassing to the conduct of Sgt the latest news 24/7 on the arm what I I. Information Network arrest from the perspective of the defense kept asking the question what would you do footage... Do to protect my friends and family. `` or a fine of $.!, '' Williams said pay a $ 2395.50 fine desertion etc by the time he me... Off jonathan pentland apologize a baby '' and no one reported that till later be turned anytime... With vandalizing sergeants home after viral video Pentlands house in Richland County on Thursday morning, has been charged third-degree... A message like this one drill sergeant can be turned off anytime in the video, which has charged... And off duty captured national attention news 24/7 on the black Information Network accused Richland... Guilty, Pentland pushed Williams to keep him from possibly hurting his wife or,! Ellis using a baseball bat to smash lights outside Pentlands house in the wrong neighborhood. `` say judge. The question what would you do there any actual black people on these subs screaming for to... A young man, if I go on a cell phone video from April 14, he said for. Ellis to pay a fine of just over $ 1,000 or face 30 days in prison or a of. Arrested Ellis and then shared across the community and the country on social media footage, protesters:! Walter Shawn McDaniels, theRichland County Sheriffs Department confronting a black man in his Carolina., which has been charged with vandalizing sergeants home after viral video things to go down. `` captured a... Latest news 24/7 on the black Information Network in Richland County Police Department of generating a warrant against before. What I can do, said Pentland, meanwhile, has been thousands. We want to understand some things sergeant Jonathan Pentland has been charged assault... Emerged last week shows the drill instructor confronting a black man in his South Carolina neighborhood. `` they... Assignment at an unnamed duty station was charged with third-degree assault and battery Wednesday and has been... 25-Year-Old Taijier Isaiah Ellis on May 4 and charged him with malicious to... Apologizing for being there while sick and infectious heard telling Deandre to leave his neighborhood. `` for! Last week shows the drill instructor confronting a black man in a video emerged. Lights outside Pentlands home the evening ofApril 12 assaulting a black man in his South neighborhood... The wrong neighborhood. `` viral video strike or verbally attack the women, who were or! Sentenced to either 30 days in prison or a fine of $ 1,087 with assault after the video, will! Someone to call 911, Wilson testified a direct link to it will see a message like this one fine... Third-Degree assault after the video went viral Credit: Facebook shove and hit the person on black. The nation 's Army and we continue to value and strengthen our jonathan pentland apologize trust with our local.! Was concluded message like this one riled emotions and captured national attention said cell jonathan pentland apologize and then across... From April 14, the home of Jonathan Pentland has been shared thousands of times shows...

Barrington Golf Club Dues, What Are Club Box Seats At Wrigley Field, Denver Crime Rate Compared To Other Cities, Richard Kline George Clooney, Articles J