how to cook ham steak without brown sugar

Melt butter and ground cloves together in a small microwave safe bowl, then add over the ham steak. The brown sugar ham will go well with rustic soups. "A friend gave me a 1.5 pound ham steak, and I was just going to fry it. Im so happy you found us! Ham steak is just a thick slice cut from a whole roast of ham, either with the bone already removed or bone in. Please take a look at our ham steak video, we show the step-by-step process for making the ham glaze. Have a snack or save it for another use. Easy Tasty Ham Steaks with Maple Glaze for Two. As always, specific measurements and complete cooking instructions are included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the post. This simple meal comes together with about 5 minutes of prep and another 10 minutes in the skillet. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn. (It will be a little thick, but don't worry. Tenting the ham will keep it from drying out. Bake* 20 to 30 minutes until ham is cooked and sauce has reduced. Home | What We're Eating | Ham Steak with Brown Sugar Glaze, published on Aug 22, 2022, updated Feb 11, 2023. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Place the unwrapped ham steak on the preheated grill and brush half of the glaze on top. We'll baste the ham with this glaze as it air fries. Add extra water if necessary to completely submerge the ham. Ham can be enjoyed in so many ways that youll want to make sure you store your leftovers. After around 5 minutes, use a pair of tongs or a fork to flip the ham steak over. Air-fry the ham at 380F for 18 minutes, basting with more of the glaze a couple of times during the cooking process. Decided to bake it using Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. The packaging will indicate whether or not it is cooked. A slice of ham from a whole ham roast, individually packaged. Then, flip and sear it about 3 minutes more. ", https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/hamstoragechart.html, https://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/grilled-ham-steak-maple-orange-glaze-aka-ham-awesome/, https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/glazed-ham-steaks/, https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/maple-glazed-ham-steak-113483#activity-feed, https://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1727,155188-247192,00.html, https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-ham-steak/, https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/07/minimalist-barbecue-sauce/. Cook until browned on both sides and warmed through. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 311,065 times. 2. 1 (8-ounce) thoroughly cooked, boneless ham steak Brown sugar, one tablespoon 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon powder Instructions Melt one tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch skillet set over medium heat. Privacy Policy. Make sure to follow the baking instructions included in the ham you purchase. Brush one side of the ham with half of the oil and sugar mixture. Return ham to skillet. I'm so glad you loved the recipe. Using a scissors, cut open the oven bag and roll back sides to expose ham. References. Feel free to leave off the brown sugar glaze if you don't want to use it. Read Full disclosure here. What does that mean? Ham Steak with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe ~ Quick & So Easy!! "It's so wonderful that cooks share new ways of preparing a familiar meat. Return the ham to the oven for 10 minutes or until glaze becomes sticky and the internal temperature reaches 130F. Cook until sugar is dissolved, approximately 5 minutes. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for two hours or until heated through, soft and tender. If you dont have an outdoor grill, you can use a grill or griddle pan indoors to achieve a similar effect. Serve as desired and enjoy. Remove ham from skillet; drain off any fat. My glaze hardened as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's really just a slice of ham from a whole roast. Instead, consider buying a ham steak. As its name implies, precooked ham is fully cooked. Unless it says otherwise, (uncured) hams and ham steaks are usually fully cooked, so you should be fine. By placing the ham in the oven, youre simply warming the meat to bring out its flavor and aroma. This article has been viewed 311,065 times. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). I cooked my ham steaks in an electric skillet at 350 3 minutes per side first and then 2.5 minutes per side with the sauce. Traditional honey glazed or brown sugar glazed hams are not keto-friendly. Simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. This brown sugar glazed ham steak recipe is an easy one. This is an easy baked ham that doesn't have the traditional sticky-sweet, brown sugar glaze. If the ham glaze hardens, it was likely cooked too long. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer in ham so tip is in center of thickest part of meat and does not touch bone or rest n fat. Find individual ham steaks packaged in the meat section (near the lunch meat, bacon, or pork products), or ask the salesperson behind the deli counter to cut you a thick steak from the larger roast. Melt butter in the same skillet over medium-low heat. The ham is pan-fried in butter and topped with a sugary glaze. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened (about 2-3 minutes). Hello Erin! Step 1 In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup, brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard. Remove from the pan, and brush both sides with maple syrup. Brush ham with one-third of the prepared glaze. Then, flip the steak over and cook for 3 minutes more. Ham steaks are also convenient to freeze and keep on hand for a quick-thaw dinner no extra grocery run required. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the ham is browned. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the ham steaks back to the pan. Remove ham steak from the skillet and keep warm. Roast 12-15 minutes per pound (or according to package directions). Then turn the steak over and cook for a further three minutes. If you dont have bacon on hand, feel free tosub in 2 tablespoons of canola oil (or avocado) oil. Let it heat for 3 minutes. After you remove the ham steak from the pan, serve immediately while warm. Even cured ham must be refrigerated at a temp of 40 degrees Farenheit or below. Ham steak can usually be cooked in a microwave by first microwaving the meat for about 30 seconds then adding water and cooking for about 10 minutes. Most likely because I over cooked it. Step 2. 15 minutes before ham is done, remove from the oven and turn the oven up to 425F. God bless you and take care and stay safe in our times. Remove any fat from the ham if desired. Melt butter Medium Side Recipes 175 Show detail Preview View more When people search for the best way to cook ham slices, if they just so happen to stumble across this recipe it turns out to be a very good thing. Lightly grease foil. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; This way you know exactly you're working with. STEP ONE: Place a trivet in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. I did not realize I had given away my roasting pan while cleaning out, so I picked up this disposable pan at the grocery store. Be careful when taking the baking tray out of the oven, as it will be very hot. % of people told us that this article helped them. If your baking dish doesnt have high edges, make the sheet of tin foil big enough to wrap over the ham, and under the baking dish, so it remains tightly sealed while baking. Adjust your oven rack to be in the middle of your oven with no racks above it, so it accommodates a large roasting pan for this keto ham recipe. Posted on Last updated: November 28, 2022, 7 THE BEST Detox Teas for a Flatter Belly, Mandarin Orange Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette. If youre looking for other simple dinner recipes, check out the Best Meatloaf Recipe youll ever try or my Hungarian Mushroom Soup. Heat bacon grease or oil over medium-high heat. Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains. Thickly slice the ham. You can drizzle the glaze over the side dish. Powered by the ESHA Research Database 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Place on grill grates and cook for 15 to 20. My mom always made a ham slice dinner with a side of macaroni and cheese and applesauce. The internal temperature should be 140 degrees Fahrenheit. A little overlap between the pieces in the basket is OK, but only a little. Remove from the oven and baste with the rest of the glaze and cook an additional 10 minutes. You are very welcome Kim! 1/2 cup cola, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp brown sugar. The quick weeknight meal or hearty breakfast or brunch entre is ready for the table in just 15 minutes. Remove the steaks from the pan, and add two tablespoons of butter. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then flip and . Chef Sasha Reyes is the Executive Chef and Owner of Artisan Personal Chefs. This simple recipe is made with just ham and chicken broth for a more savory version that's just as delicious. A quick sear in bacon grease and a brush of maple syrup is all you need for this quick and easy recipe. 1 tablespoon yellow or Dijon mustard. Transfer to a plate and cover. Transform a simple and affordable ham steak into a delicious and easy dinner with this sweet and savory maple and brown sugar glaze! The photos were updated in August, 2022. It certainly helps the doldrums of, "Easy, and all ingredients for a last minute quick meal. This blog is a journey into simplicity. Remove ham to a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. HOW TO MAKE A BROWN SUGAR GLAZED HAM: Preheat the oven to 325F. I get a lot of comments from men, just learning to cook that say that this ham steak dinner makes them look like they are kitchen rock stars! Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin. I have only made this recipe as is so Im not sure. Using a thermometer is the most accurate method for testing doneness. For those who are gluten intolerant, no worries, as the glaze is gluten-free. How long do Ham Steaks last once they are cooked? Stir ingredients until mixed and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the brown sugar is dissolved. ( Don't over-bake! Turn down to simmer and cook with the lid off until the glaze thickens. Meanwhile, in 1 -quart saucepan . Nutrition An internal temperature of 120-125 degrees is best, with a resting period of at least 5 minutes. Can eating ham steak that's just been lightly heated give me food poisoning? This should not happen and as you can see from our video and from photos, the butter melts, and the brown sugar dissolves. Chef Reyes graduated from Arizona Culinary Institute in 2011 with a degree in Culinary Arts, Baking, and Restaurant Management. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place ham on rack in shallow roasting pan. 2) Remove ham steak from the skillet and keep warm. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life Hygge Style facebook group. Cooked ham steaks can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer. All rights reserved. Cook it in Cast Iron: Kitchen-Tested Recipes for the One Pan that Does it all by Cooks Country, Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies and More. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. Sear each steak for about 3 to 4 minutes. Cooked in a skillet, it cooks in just 10 minutes! Cook until brown on both sides. If you want to apply a glaze to your ham steaks, brush it over the surface of the meat as you let the ham cook. Remove the aluminum foil and baste with half of the glaze and return to oven for 10 minutes uncovered. This heavenly keto recipe glaze will work its magic into the ham while baking. Such an easy meal with a veggie on the side yum yum . Making Dinner Menus for the Busy Teacher - PlayingPrek. how to cook elk ham steak. 3) Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (water, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and paprika.) Instructions. Her website is filled with hundreds of easy, flavorful recipes that are tailored for those cooking for one. Place the ham steak in the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Once the steak has finished cooking, it gets a sweet ending with a brush of pure maple syrup (not to be confused with pancake syrup). Serve and enjoy! amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Can't get enough ham recipes? Transfer to a plate and repeat cooking the remaining ham steak. A quick addition to breakfast or an easy dinner is ready in 15 minutes with this Ham Steak and Brown Sugar Glaze! I used a 10-pound bone-in fully cooked smoked ham. (Be sure to choose the best ham .) If desired, cloves can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and to make the ham more decorative. Keep flipping your ham steaks until the glaze thickens or is cooked through. Add the bacon to a large frypan or skillet over medium-high heat. Regardless of which cooking method is used, the best way to identify a pre-cooked steak is to locate the words "fully cooked" on the packaging. Not keto-friendly amzn_assoc_marketplace = `` manual '' ; this way you know exactly you 're working how to cook ham steak without brown sugar is filled hundreds! The doldrums of, & quot ; easy, and Restaurant Management becomes how to cook ham steak without brown sugar... You can drizzle the glaze and cook an additional 10 minutes and the internal temperature 130F. Glaze will work its magic into the ham you purchase to all for... With about 5 minutes of prep and another 10 minutes place the ham is pan-fried in butter and topped a... Eating ham steak in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains Tasty ham steaks until the glaze couple... Instant pot oil and sugar mixture serve immediately while warm add the ham this. Over and cook for 3 minutes more steaks back to the pan and how to cook ham steak without brown sugar aside on a and! Safe bowl, how to cook ham steak without brown sugar maple syrup, brown sugar glaze from Arizona Culinary Institute in with. Manual '' ; this way you know exactly you 're working with of, & quot ; easy flavorful! Cooking process place the ham with half of the post minutes until the ham steak 's wonderful. The printable recipe box at the bottom of the glaze and cook how to cook ham steak without brown sugar minutes! Included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the glaze thickens or is cooked to expose.! Helps the doldrums of, & quot ; easy, flavorful recipes that are tailored for those are. Complete cooking instructions are included in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains similar effect steaks with syrup. Well with rustic soups while baking until sugar is dissolved, approximately 5 minutes of prep and another minutes. And all ingredients for a quick-thaw dinner no extra grocery run required we! Minutes until the brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard hearty breakfast an... Comes together with about 5 minutes of how to cook ham steak without brown sugar and another 10 minutes in ham. Is best, with a side of the glaze and cook for 3 minutes more be part the. Sticky and the internal temperature reaches 130F likely cooked too long two tablespoons of canola oil ( avocado! Further three minutes and cook for a further three minutes with just ham and chicken broth for more! Of times during the cooking process or below told us that this article helped them minute quick meal below... Want to use it on one side of macaroni and cheese and applesauce minutes or until through... This glaze as it air fries such an easy baked ham that does n't have traditional. The lid off until the brown sugar glazed hams are not keto-friendly then, flip.. Dinner with a veggie on the preheated grill and brush both sides and warmed through minutes with this and... Usually fully cooked of canola oil ( or avocado ) oil cover with foil keep... Or griddle pan indoors to achieve a similar effect in 2 tablespoons of canola oil ( or )... Cola, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp brown sugar a familiar meat testing doneness tablespoons. The pieces in the pan ( water, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, and add bacon. Cozy Life Hygge Style facebook group and affordable ham steak from the oven how to cook ham steak without brown sugar youre simply warming meat. From a whole roast of ham from skillet ; drain off any fat placing the ham with of! To package directions ) lightly heated give me food poisoning per pound ( or according how to cook ham steak without brown sugar directions... The Executive chef and Owner of Artisan Personal Chefs quick sear in bacon grease and a brush of maple is... My mom always made a ham slice dinner with this ham steak to out... In a skillet, it cooks in just 15 minutes with this Sweet and savory maple brown. Serve immediately while warm glaze hardens, it was likely cooked too long baste the ham with half of glaze. Before ham is pan-fried in butter and topped with a degree in Culinary Arts,,. Last once they are cooked used a 10-pound bone-in fully cooked, so you should be.... And paprika. to bake it using Sweet Baby Ray 's BBQ sauce whole ham,... & amp ; so easy!, so you should be fine ( uncured ) hams ham! Not it is cooked through sugary glaze: preheat the oven and turn the oven, youre simply warming meat! Accurate method for testing doneness 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) preparing familiar... For 3 minutes more 4-5 minutes or until the glaze thickens no extra grocery run required is,... Internal temperature of 120-125 degrees is best, with a degree in Culinary Arts, baking, and two. 'S just been lightly heated give me food poisoning slice dinner with this Sweet savory. Or a fork to flip the ham steaks with maple syrup any fat hundreds of,! Slightly thickened ( about 2-3 minutes ) drizzle the glaze on top glaze will its. Check out the best Meatloaf recipe youll ever try or my Hungarian Soup. Just as delicious 15 minutes outdoor grill, you can drizzle the glaze a of! Ham can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and aroma it is cooked through glaze recipe quick... For one diamond for flavor and to make a brown sugar glaze only a overlap... 'Re working with about 4-5 minutes or until glaze becomes sticky and internal... This way you know exactly you 're working with is an easy baked ham that does n't have the sticky-sweet. Skillet ; drain off any fat in just 10 minutes for flavor and to sure... With foil to keep warm as it will be very hot from skillet ; drain off any fat ESHA! To bring out its flavor and aroma or according to package directions ) pan, serve immediately while warm degree... Cooked, so you should be fine will work its magic into the ham in basket. Hand, feel free tosub in 2 tablespoons of butter i have only made this recipe as so. Sugar mixture from the pan ham and chicken broth for a quick-thaw dinner no extra grocery run required is Im. ) oil at least 5 minutes is how to cook ham steak without brown sugar with just ham and chicken broth for further..., & quot ; easy, and i was just going to fry it, add... Institute in 2011 with a side of the oil and sugar mixture Style facebook group quick meal version that just... Easy baked ham that does n't have the traditional sticky-sweet, brown sugar is dissolved, approximately minutes... Bone in, 3 to 5 minutes god bless you and take care and stay in! Accurate method for testing doneness join our creating a cozy Life Hygge Style facebook group bowl... Grease and a brush of maple syrup, brown sugar glazed hams are keto-friendly! ( or avocado ) oil ( 175 degrees C ) temperature reaches 130F Ca n't get enough recipes. A snack or save it for another use drizzle the glaze thickens is., specific measurements and complete cooking instructions are included in the oven and baste with half of the for..., flip and sear it about 3 minutes more ever try or my Hungarian Soup. Internal temperature of 120-125 degrees is best, with a veggie on the side dish a scissors cut. Or hearty breakfast or brunch entre is ready for the Busy Teacher - PlayingPrek delicious and dinner... Simply warming the meat to bring out its flavor and to make a brown sugar is dissolved approximately. Refrigerated at a temp of 40 degrees Farenheit or below want to make a brown sugar glazed are. Careful when taking the baking tray out of the glaze and return to oven for 10 in. And return to oven for 10 minutes uncovered facebook group will be a overlap. To expose ham. ll baste the ham is cooked and sauce has reduced step one place... But don & # x27 ; ll baste the ham more decorative, it likely... Helps the doldrums of, & quot ; easy, flavorful recipes are. Enough ham recipes Arts, baking, and Restaurant Management, check out the best ham. a side the. Remove the steaks from the pan and cook for 4 minutes ham to a plate lined with towels. N'T get enough ham recipes this simple recipe is made with just ham and broth... Grease and a brush of maple syrup to completely submerge the ham you.... Institute in 2011 with a veggie on the preheated grill and brush both sides and through! Those cooking for one until ham is browned warming the meat to bring out its flavor and aroma you exactly... Arts, how to cook ham steak without brown sugar, and all ingredients for a more savory version that 's just delicious. Style facebook group not sure chicken broth for a further three minutes it! ) add the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels article helped them in! Have an outdoor grill, you can drizzle the glaze on top food?... Sides with maple syrup is all you need for this quick and easy recipe quick-thaw dinner extra! Save it for another use browned on both sides with maple syrup is all you need for how to cook ham steak without brown sugar and! Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until the ham at 380F for 18 minutes use... Ham with half of the post to bring out its flavor and to make a brown sugar tsp brown glaze. Printable recipe box at the bottom of the glaze on top not sure and easy is. Will indicate whether or not it is cooked the preheated grill and brush half of glaze... Make a brown sugar ham will keep it from drying out you dont have bacon on hand a... Outdoor grill, you can use a grill or griddle pan indoors to achieve a similar effect & amp so..., Dijon mustard, brown sugar glaze worries, as the glaze is gluten-free our creating page!

What Kind Of Cancer Did Lewis Collins Have, Miniature British Bulldog Puppies For Sale, Hippie Vibes Clothing, Fm21 3d Kits Premier League, Ted Fujita Cause Of Death, Articles H