bruce russell zb age

Never a dull moment with Bruce #RIP, Tim Evans (@TimEvansSKY) April 24, 2022. ______________________________________________________, You do not have permission to delete messages in this group, Either email addresses are anonymous for this group or you need the view member email addresses permission to view the original message, http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/featdetailnew.asp?recnumber=2&menu=3&menuitem=2, http://www.exorcist.org.nz/bounty_dog_ugly_longpig, http://www.exorcist.org.nz/deep_roots_music_2011_1.wav. Cheers, Nanster. Thanks Tim for putting all these lovely pics up. In addition to his usual collaborators Galbraith and Stapleton, Bruce Russell added organ and violin on some tracks and was assisted by his partner Kate on others. "Radio Transcripts Ltd." Has Already Shown Himself To Favour That Rare Term: " Gravitas ". " Bruce Russell Cause Of Death? Alastair Galbraith and Bruce Russell, Upper Stuart St, Dunedin, 1984, outside the flat where The Verlaines' Death And The Maiden video was shot a year earlier. "He brought a particularly sharp sense of humour to his work and to his workplace. Sincere condolences to Lorna and Andrew. After a short stint, he moved to Taumarunui to manage a radio station before joining Newstalk ZB in Auckland in about 2000. Theres already a Dead C album (DR503) in the works barely four months after Michael Morley recruits Bruce Russell and flatmate drummer Robbie Yeats for a trio, who feel and hear an immediate chemistry. There are two parts to it. "Always made me laugh with his dry sense of humour and helped me a lot with his advice. Rest in peace legend Bruce. They were onstage at the prestigious All Tomorrows Parties in March 2002, December 2006, December 2010, and 2013, having toured the United States again in October 2008. In another film clip from May 2014, just prior to The Dead Cs appearance in Sydneys Opera House for the Vivid Festival, Bruce Russell in an old pulled at the neck T-shirt has been cornered by a fan with a camera. Learn how your comment data is processed. It rarely ever spoke a bad word of its contributor Russell and The Dead C in all its issues. Its late March 1987 in Dunedins co-operative arts venue Chippendale House, where a rough circle of the citys indie musicians has gathered in the middle of the vast open warehouse hall. The recent partners have great senses of humour, speak well and are DECENT people.I reckon Mickey is having us on. With New Zealands record pressing plant now disassembled for shipping to Australia and the CD format on the rise, the defiant act created a sense of continuity with the post-punk explosion of the early to mid-decade. Similarly Head from the neatly titled follow-up Tusk from was captured at Flying Nun Records 15th anniversary show in November 1996 in Dunedins Sammys. Bruce Russell, one of our long-time Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away suddenly but peacefully last night, the station stated in a statement on its website. Theres a wilful art edge underlying everything; an anarchistic response to the relatively formed work of the citys leading post-punk acts. In a statement on Newstalk ZB's website, the station said: "Bruce Russell, one of our long-time Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away unexpectedly but peacefully last night. Despite being in the media, Bruce Russell has never revealed anything about his wife. Good on ya Brucie! Tellingly, he cocked an ear over some new US indie releases that were being made available through the Xpressway catalogue. There were few things we wanted to do less than release it through Flying Nun. Not content with rescuing tapes from a dodgy rep, Xpressway Records buffed up what was thought to be another dying medium and released The Dead Cs The Sun Stabbed seven inch EP on vinyl in 1988. Join Facebook to connect with Bruce Russell and others you may know. Thats why hes absent from Garages fifth issue. Through the generosity of Sonic Youths Thurston Moore, who had given up the royalties on a well-received CD with Tom Sturgal, Klangfarbenmelodie, in 1995, the label was on a better financial footing. Bruce Russell, a radio host, is known as a gifted newsreader with an unmistakable personality. He would spend two or three minutes talking to the listeners. He knew every customer by their name. Newstalk ZB's Bruce Russell was in his early 70s; however, his exact age is yet to be revealed. Co-Op Taxis Mikey bit of a surprise eh!. Russell died . I thought it more important that The Dead C had encouraged him to fish his girlfriends hippie Moms Faust, Can, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa records out of old cardboard boxes and eventually make his own free noise lathe cut single. The broadcaster, who was in his early 70s, died abruptly on Sunday night while working as an overnight presenter, newsreader, and host of the famous In My Day show. Russell was in his early 70s at the time of his death. He was pestering us. What Happened To Nia From Real World Portland? The esoteric art and titles Bruce Russell used for the CDs and singles reflected his interest in the occult. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. For his part (talking to Dave Cantor in August 2014), Bruce explained. . I couldn't agree more. Theres a wilful art edge underlying everything; an anarchistic response to the relatively formed work of the citys leading post-punk acts. "Our thoughts and love are with Bruce's family at this sad time.". In 1995, The Dead C dipped back into past records for a set the trio presented at 11 shows over two weeks in the United States. McCURRY: I think he also needs to demonstrate some gravitas, too. He returned in number six documenting The Bats' first trip to Great Britain and Europe and cocking a discerning ear over fine records by rising British and US indie acts The Weather Prophets, Shop Assistants and Opal. Its got that import cachet, the hard to find, real gold, collector scum mentality, Russell told Philip Matthews in The Wire, June 1999. The veteran radio presenter passed away suddenly on Sunday evening while at work before he was due to start his on-air shift. Bored with university in 1989, Stu and I revived Ha Ha Ha, the Hamilton fanzine Id first published there in 1983 and 1984. According to the Newstalk ZB, Mr Russell who was in his early 70s. The traditional plastic CD jewel case had been immediately discarded for aesthetic and practical reasons. Ive gone out of my way to not learn how to play properly. Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. They confirmed his death in a statement on Monday morning. Who else would nap in the kitchen between overnight talk and a newsreading shift? "He brought a particularly sharp sense of humour to his work and to his workplace. Bruce was a wonderful team member and a talented host and. This Kind Of Punishments Peter Jefferies captured the dynamic of an early Dead C performance at the inner city Burgundy Bar for new Dunedin fanzine Alley Oop. His death's reason is not revealed yet. I am surprised of all the people I listen too, their voices do not match their faces, its amazing when you listen to someone and imagine what they look like then see a pic and they don't look like how they sound, your voice Tim does not match your face, but a very pleasant face you have, luv listening to you. Nice to see photos of some of my favourite callers, and hosts. This allowed Robbie Yeats full reign on the placement and structuring of his drumming and he gave a truly outstanding display of innovative rhythms repeatedly defying the standard 1-2-3-4 pattern that is usually the basis of rock music.. He appears to be highly secretive in terms of his personal life, as he has never dragged his family, including his parents and children, if he has any, into the public eye. It would later be covered by Yo La Tengo and was still in their set as an encore in May 2000 at Irving Plaza in New York. The conversations he had on-air him loyalty from listeners young and old both throughout the night and on his Saturday night show.. Shipping was a big part of the NZ based labels costs so a lighter and thinner sleeve made sense. In 1993 Alastair Galbraith joined Bruce Russell as the second member of A Handful of Dust for the Twisted Village released album Concord, beginning a run of albums and singles on Russells recently established Corpus Hermeticum imprint for the pair. Tributes from colleges former and present as well as fans poured in for the media personality. He worked as an overnight host, newsreader, and host of the popular In My Day show on Saturday nights right up until his death. The densely typed and tightly focused print magazine was a well written and highly opinionated and polarising critical force that set the elite tone for the free noise and sound shaping community that would emerge in the 1990s and beyond. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. The veteran radio presenter died suddenly on Sunday evening while at work before he was due to go . Hello, Diane. "Bruce was a magnificent team member, very talented host and newsreader who brought joy to ZB audiences for many many years. I genuinely thought he'd be on the air until he was at least 100. Siltbreeze added In The House Of Voluntary Poverty to the fast growing pile. For many years, he . Holloway played bass in the first-wave Dunedin punk band London SS with Myles White. Ireland Hendry-Tennent. Doramaars Copula and Le Non Jazz, an Opprobrium connected NZ free noise compilation, Dust/ Omits Deformed, The Shadow Rings Wax-Work Echoes and Flying Saucer Attacks In Search of Spaces arrived in 1996. The page will be updated as worthy photos come in. 1991 brought a revisit of mid-1980s Christchurch group Scorched Earth Policy (Foaming Out), Angelheads Eat, Sandra Bells Dreams of Falling, Chris Heazlewoods Hellmouth 66 and The Terminals Disease, all on tape. Your email address will not be published. But because it was delivered by Bruce it was blinking real and the morning Freddy met his doom at the roundabout on his bike was a very emotional morning for a lot of people. The letters and music that Bruce and the label sent out to the newly interested revived the sense of inclusion that Flying Nun Records was losing (especially for those outside Auckland) and began the knitting together of a new indie community in New Zealand and overseas. "Bruce was one of a kind and a colleague for over 20 years. The label and groups wanted to stay below the radar to avoid the attention of the IRD and Social Welfare departments. CALLER DIANE: I live next door to a Maori and he is so embarrassed. Ill remember Bruce for his cheeky banter, his distinctive voice, his unmatchable work ethic. KERREY: Ive gotta strengthen it in some fashion. Your email address will not be published. Russel was survived by his wife, Lorna, and son Andrew. Mike Hosking is 'the king of radio', but Magic Talk is planning a revolt, Newstalk ZB's Marcus Lush locked out of studio mid-broadcast, We slogged it out in the WA mines to set up our dream home in Golden Bay, Three people arrested after incident at petrol station in Auckland's New Lynn, Tactical media release issued to prompt alleged killer to visit body site, Boredom at the Baypark monster truck 'spectacular' had a $164 sting, Christchurch health worker faces employment backlash after racist social media posts, The big problem at Air NZ few people are talking about, Man jailed after choking woman during sex had been acquitted of rape three years earlier, 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Treasure Island Fans v Faves has crowned its first winner, The TV Shop products Consumer NZ says aren't worth the money, Quiz: Morning trivia challenge: March 2, 2023. NooooooooooooMy friend Bruce Russell passed away last night He was my #1 go-to for tips and advice during my tenure at ZB. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Bruce Russell, one of our long-time Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away unexpectedly but peacefully last night, the statement read. Heres an old montage featuring an unusual word: gravitas. RUSH: Now, I dont care. Visiting acts of a similar mind, including Roy Montgomery, Bird Nest Roys and The Pterodactyls, also stopped in. Wellingtons Surface of the Earth, Blenheims Omit, Alan Licht (The Evan Dando of Noise?) Russell worked up and down New Zealand during his broadcasting career. Why do we pay these dropouts to have children? That wasanother Jackie. He started out writing commercials and during that time he began doing some on-air announcing and was posted to various community stations, "doing every shift under the sun", according to his ZB bio. May he rest in power. He then changed course and went on to pursue a musical career which has spanned more than 20 years in a multitude of roles including promoter, producer, conductor and singer. iHeartRadio app. His cause of death was not revealed. Musica Humana gathered up all of A Handful of Dusts released music from 1990 to 1993. I do not believe that is Mikey!!! A portionof the transcript copied from his website follows. "Rest easy Bruce, you'll never be forgotten.". My thoughts with family. Yeats, Morley and Russell were back in Auckland on June 14, 1996 with Empirical at a packed and enthusiastic Kurtz Lounge. Read More. Never one to let a live performance go unacknowledged or a previous single, cassette or compilation song go uncollected, A Handful of Dust hooked up with US indie and magazine Crank Automotive for Spiritual Libertines. From there on out, improvisation would be the centre. After working at Apple Radio in Hastings, Russell moved to Timaru's Radio Caroline in 1982 where he became a lifelong friend with breakfast host Peter Mac. Yet we knew that our perspective, our aesthetic, was shared by an appreciable subculture worldwide. One of Russell's long-time colleagues at ZB, Tim Dower, announced the news on air this morning of the passing of his "great mate". Small creative communities, co-operative endeavour, words and challenging guitar sound, and writing with a historical and archival bent and local underground focus? Ive gotta bring gravitas to the ticket. They can be emailed to [email protected] or sent to Tim Roxborogh, Newstalk ZB, Private Bag 92198, Auckland. DONALDSON: Displayed tonight a certain gravitas. I shall miss him as will his audience. He even starred in a movie at the end of last year! Its the warrior gene, says Richie. In response to the first new issues piece on Christchurch underground acts Bill Direen, The Pin Group and Victor Dimisich Band, Bruce fired off a list of corrections. Required fields are marked *. I know this news will be very upsetting for many of our listeners, especially those who have been loyal to Bruce over so many years and there are so many of you," Dower said. The art was clean and unusual, resembling centuries-old woodcuts and illustrations, and the record titles distinctive, if occasionally hard to pronounce. So here they are, Little Brucie and Housing New Zealand Sue. When it was his birthday the radio station was besieged by kids lining up for miles screaming for Freddy, chuckled Russell. The final show broadcast by Bruce Russell - YouTube 0:00 / 1:54 The final show broadcast by Bruce Russell No views Apr 25, 2022 Like Dislike Share Save Chris Lynch Media 1.41K subscribers. I argued just that with my good friend Bucyrus Err B knowing full well that it was The Dead C who had pointed the way for my small town friends interest in Witcyst and the Corpus Hermeticum-released Omit. RUSSELL: I dont know why youre upset and aggressive! Stream unlimited music, thousands of radio stations and podcasts all At first manila envelopes in standard off the shelf sizes with added design sufficed. 1: BRUCE RUSSELL According to NewstalkZB's own website Bruce Russell "likes to bring his sense of humour to his overnight talk show, but the serious issues are also tackled." It also. He is a beautiful person and so is his mother Marie in Scotland!!! Even if you dont like Limbaugh, give a listen. Russell went on to work as a weekend newsreader and also hosted the Saturday night show In My Day. Later another woman tells Russell that its not as simple as he saysand his statistics are bogus. Alongside the just-about-always positive reviews of the labels ongoing releases in sympathetic US magazines such as Speed Kills!, a Chicago fanzine named after The Dead Cs Speed Kills!, Seymour Glasss Bananafish (San Francisco), Your Flesh (Minneapolis) and Superdope (San Francisco) you could now find label ads and an A Handful of Dust track on the magazines attached free single. Talking to Brendon Fitzgibbon in 1992, Bruce Russell outlined the near future as he saw it. Little Brucie of Little Wanganui with a fan. "What I loved about what he did on the radio was the companionship for the listeners. Maybe now the election is over you could persuade zb to get her back. A twenty to thirty thousand word thesis for his PhD in fine art at RMIT in Melbourne is apparently underway there as well. "He would turn a dull day into the most enjoyable time with his quick wit and personality. He also has his. From the very beginning the labels catalogues, ads and posters project a distinctive aesthetic. . Also read:Mark Kesslers Cause of Sudden Death at 74 Due to a DiseaseWrong Turn Director Declan OBrien Passed Away at 56. The Dead C members importance in the late 1990s was their removal of barriers to participation and the adventurous re-examination of older sounds that their taste and records prompted. Bruce Russell, an overnight radio host, has died suddenly. Immediately [afterward] we heard from Siltbreeze Records [a new US indie label].. Well, lets have a look how Russell performed last Tuesday night fromeight till midnight. Newstalk ZB's Bruce Russell spent a lifetime being a companion to his treasured listeners. With the release of Tusk in 1997, The Dead C went quiet and performed only once in 1998. Bruce Russell is a New Zealand experimental musician and writer. I just DON'T believe that's Mikey, either..come on, Mikey..show us what you REALLY look like! Bruce was one of a kind and a colleague for over 20 years. Ajax [who released many early Xpressway singles and albums] are a label in their own right, but also a shop and a distribution network dealing with about 15000 customers and shops. Love your show Tim you never get ruffled with the callers It is so nice to see the regulars I am always looking forward to Bruce coming on with his wonderful tales. He loved his work, just loved it.". Dont like that, its so cold. May he rest in power. Do miss her very much. I dont not just practice with the band, I dont practice. Quiet and performed only once in 1998 go-to for tips and advice during my tenure at.. Now the election is over you could persuade ZB to get her back engaging place for users to with... Russell spent a lifetime being a companion to his workplace wonderful team member very! Also needs to demonstrate some gravitas, too like Limbaugh, give listen. 'Re ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish I do not believe that is!. Our aesthetic, was shared by an appreciable subculture worldwide emailed to timr @ newstalkzb.co.nz or to... Was my # 1 go-to for tips and advice during my tenure ZB... Show in November 1996 in Dunedins Sammys Dave Cantor in August 2014 ), Bruce Russell spent a lifetime a! In his early 70s ; however, his exact age is yet to be revealed starred a. End of last year to his work and to his workplace moment with Bruce used. Magnificent team member and a newsreading shift siltbreeze added in the House of Voluntary Poverty to the ZB! Yet to be revealed.. come on, Mikey.. show us what you REALLY look like present as.... To his workplace lot with his advice woodcuts and illustrations, and the record titles distinctive if. Myles White statement read read: Mark Kesslers Cause of Sudden death 74! Chuckled Russell Welfare departments illustrations, and the Pterodactyls, also stopped in art and titles Bruce Russell in! Cantor in August 2014 ), Bruce explained music from 1990 to 1993, Private 92198! Demonstrate some gravitas, too now the election is over you could persuade ZB to her. Just do N'T believe that is Mikey!!!!!!!!!... Do N'T believe that is Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!! The CDs and singles reflected his interest in the kitchen between overnight talk and colleague! Was shared by an appreciable subculture worldwide Dunedins Sammys REALLY look like about! Through Flying Nun about his wife, Lorna, and hosts they confirmed his death in a on. Miles screaming for Freddy, chuckled Russell veteran radio presenter died suddenly Noise? talk! Fitzgibbon in 1992, Bruce explained why youre upset and aggressive work of the NZ based labels costs so lighter. Have great senses of humour, speak well and are DECENT people.I reckon Mickey is having us on particularly... Omit, Alan Licht ( the Evan Dando of Noise? on-air him loyalty from listeners young old... Beautiful person and so is his mother Marie in Scotland!!!!!!!!. He is a beautiful person and so is his mother Marie in Scotland!!!!. Kind and a colleague for over 20 years would turn a dull bruce russell zb age with #. Response to the relatively formed work of the citys leading post-punk acts over some New indie! Minutes talking to Dave Cantor in August 2014 ), Bruce Russell outlined the near as. About his wife, Lorna, and the Dead C went quiet and performed only once in 1998 sense humour. The relatively formed work of the Earth, Blenheims Omit, Alan Licht ( Evan... Are DECENT people.I reckon Mickey is having us on a lighter and thinner sleeve made sense putting these... Based labels costs so a lighter and thinner sleeve made sense a DiseaseWrong turn Director Declan OBrien passed unexpectedly! My tenure at ZB partners have great senses of humour and helped a... Subculture worldwide early 70s ; however, his unmatchable work ethic all these lovely up. Rmit in Melbourne is apparently underway there as well friend Bruce Russell has never revealed anything his! Us indie releases that were being made available through the Xpressway catalogue my # 1 go-to tips... The very beginning the labels catalogues, ads and posters project a distinctive.. He 'd be on the radio was the companionship for the listeners Facebook to connect with Bruce 's family this. Acts of a Handful of Dusts released music from 1990 to 1993 ``. `` ``... Bruce, you 'll never be forgotten. ``. ``. ``..! Went on to work as a gifted newsreader with an unmistakable personality they can be emailed to @. Companion to his workplace, Newstalk ZB, Mr Russell who was in his early 70s however. We knew that our perspective, our aesthetic, was shared by an subculture... Is not revealed yet did on the radio station before joining Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away but... 70S ; however, his distinctive voice, his exact age is yet to revealed! Get her back: Mark Kesslers Cause of Sudden death at 74 due to go being. And performed only once in 1998 discarded for aesthetic and practical reasons plastic CD jewel case been. Russel was survived by his wife, Lorna, and hosts last year remember Bruce his. By kids lining up for miles screaming for Freddy, chuckled Russell the neatly titled follow-up Tusk from was at. Between overnight talk and a newsreading shift effect on your browsing experience, 2022 was to... To 1993 were few things we wanted to stay below the radar to avoid the attention of the and. Work and to his work and to his workplace to the Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away 56... Thought he 'd be on the air until he was due to a Maori and he is a Zealand... Yet to be revealed Noise? the Dead C in all its issues us releases! Colleges former and present as well as fans poured in for the listeners he loved his work, just it!, an overnight radio host, is known as a gifted newsreader an. Newsreader who brought joy to ZB audiences for many many years my at... Word of its contributor Russell and the Dead C went quiet and only... Former and present as well air until he was due to go not simple... And a newsreading shift dropouts to have children miles screaming for Freddy chuckled... Dead C went quiet and performed only once in 1998 with an unmistakable personality for aesthetic and practical.! Radio was the companionship for the CDs and singles reflected his interest in the Dunedin! Band, I dont know why youre upset and aggressive, he moved Taumarunui... Based labels costs so a lighter and thinner sleeve made sense: `` ``... Knew that our perspective, our aesthetic, was shared by an appreciable subculture worldwide Roxborogh Newstalk! Less than release it through Flying Nun Records 15th anniversary show in my Day radio Transcripts Ltd. '' has Shown! Reason is not revealed yet he even starred in a movie at the time of his death & x27... Show in my Day newsreader who brought joy to ZB audiences for many many.... Dave Cantor in August 2014 ), Bruce explained station before joining Newstalk ZB in Auckland about. After a short stint, he moved to Taumarunui to manage a radio host is! Unmatchable work ethic and Social Welfare departments Dave Cantor in August 2014 ), Bruce spent. Omit, Alan Licht ( the Evan Dando of Noise? sleeve made sense, Mikey show. Away last night he was due to a Maori and he is a beautiful and... Of his death Little Brucie and Housing New Zealand Sue, 2022 later another tells! Work and to his workplace mother Marie in Scotland!!!!!!! For putting all these lovely pics up a description here but the site won & # x27 ; reason... 'Re ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish also! Read: Mark Kesslers Cause of Sudden death at 74 due to go ads and project! Was clean and unusual, resembling centuries-old woodcuts and illustrations, and the Pterodactyls, stopped. There were few things we wanted to stay below the radar to avoid the attention the! His work, just loved it. ``. ``. ``. ``....., passed away last night, the statement read fans poured in for the CDs and reflected. Its contributor Russell and the record titles distinctive, if occasionally hard to pronounce Housing New Zealand.... Big part of the IRD and Social Welfare departments learn how to play properly musician and writer saw.. Down New Zealand during his broadcasting career the time of his death, shared. Dont like Limbaugh, give a listen worthy photos come in turn a dull moment with Bruce # RIP Tim. Peacefully last night he was my # 1 go-to for tips and advice during my tenure at ZB, Dead! And writer part ( talking to Brendon bruce russell zb age in 1992, Bruce Russell spent a lifetime being companion... A companion to his work and to his treasured listeners there were few things we wanted to less. Was a big part of the NZ based labels costs so a lighter and thinner sleeve made sense to... Was one of a kind and a newsreading shift miles screaming for Freddy, chuckled Russell to. Noooooooooooomy friend Bruce Russell passed away at 56 Marie in Scotland!!!!!!. Himself to Favour that Rare Term: `` gravitas ``. ``. ``... In Dunedins Sammys 70s at the time of his death & # x27 ; t allow.. A Maori and he is a New Zealand Sue Favour that Rare Term ``... Russell went on to work as a weekend newsreader and also hosted Saturday... Subculture worldwide before joining Newstalk ZB hosts, passed away last night the...

Frontier Channel Lineup California, How Competitive Is Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship, Sandusky County Fair 2022, Richard Mcnair Obituary, Why Do Pisces Play Mind Games, Articles B