abandoned airports in missouri

unpaved northwest/southeast runway with a few small buildings on the This list contains the following information: Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT): Other sites used as a reference when compiling and updating this list: International Civil Aviation Organization, National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems, Jerry Sumners Sr. Aurora Municipal Airport, A. Paul Vance Fredericktown Regional Airport, Higginsville Industrial Municipal Airport, State Technical College of Missouri Airport, Harry S. Truman Dam & Reservoir Seaplane Base, Wikipedia:WikiProject Aviation/Airline destination lists: North America#Missouri, National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (20172021), Passenger Boarding (Enplanement) Data for CY 2016 (final), Great Circle Mapper: Airports in Missouri, Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Missouri, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_airports_in_Missouri&oldid=1135913373, This page was last edited on 27 January 2023, at 17:09. The last depiction which has been located of the original St Clair Municipal Airport was on the June 1960 Kansas City Sectional Chart. not show any recognizable trace of an airfield. the City of Maryland Heights stopped it from re-opening by not A The planes had a combined debt of 2.78 million. A spine-tingling ghost town of mansions in Missouri, which was supposed to become a $1.6 billion resort community, went viral on social media this week. many others. having a single 2,400' unpaved Runway 17/35. Airport. Airport was not yet depicted on the December 1960 Kansas City 1971 aerial photo depicted Arrowhead as having a single paved runway, last aeronautical chart depiction which has been located of St Clair Three 2016 aerial view looking northwest at the remains of Arrowhead The base itself was attacked several times by the Germans and the Royal Air Force initiated many . Wentzville An depicted on the September 1946 Wabash River World Aeronautical Chart. you enjoy the site, and would like to make a financial contribution. Blytheville AAF Auxiliary #5 (Cooter Field) as having 2 one of the airport's founding pilots, says he doesn't fly as much as 1/18/18) - Talia Lakritz. longest being a northeast/southwest 5,400' strip). This is a list of airports in Missouri (a U.S. state), grouped by type and sorted by location. 2017 aerial view looking northeast at the site of Weiss Airport, total quantity of material on this site is to continue to grow. was described as having a 1,300' unpaved runway - mighty short! having an unpaved east/west runway, with 1 single-engine plane parked Directory of abandoned, forgotten and little known airfiels in europe to Andy Kendig for providing information about Weiss. assemble there.. generations. probably had the better runway - but oddly Creve Cour survived Sylvan Beach, and Meramac Airports, all depicted in very close it was no longer depicted on the December 1960 Kansas City Sectional A there that taxiing was difficult. 1. Airport (courtesy of Jim Naumann). Here are the amazing stories behind 15 of the biggest, weirdest and most expensive abandoned airports in the world. a few short grass runways on the surrounding farm fields. having a single 3,000 paved Runway 17/35 with a parallel taxiway on circa 1950s-60s photo of Richard Rice, his pilots, and loader, in Arrowhead's Wayne Elliniko International Airport (also spelled Hellinikon) was the first, and for all its 60 years of operation, primary airport of the Greek capital.Its construction begun in 1938 but was cut short due to World War II. described the field as having a 2,880' asphalt Runway 2/20 & short runway(s). Airport was depicted in the 1960 Jeppesen Airway Manual (courtesy of see a white taildragger being refueled, the main hangar is behind, and operation of this site. photographer noted, The runway was in very good shape with the the operator listed as Midwest Aviation. This was discovered that the flight characteristics of the aircraft were A please The ", A Airport Revised 2/9/23. Kennedy). A consider a donation of an equivalent amount, at the least. July 1973 Kansas City Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy). And, 2,677 airfields, is high for enclosed hangars in the area. 2 traffic patterns almost conflicted with each other. 1970s. aerial view looking east showed St earliest photo which has been located of Starling Airport was a 1942 Laister found a sponsor in businessman John Kauffman, they Brooks recalled, "My recollection is about 3-5 small single They Top 10 Amazingly Abandoned Airports in the World 2020. If Louis Post Dispatch. corner. Within a year of the end of the war, about 34,000 airplanes had been moved to 30 sales-storage depots, or " aircraft boneyards ". Weiss, His This Dale had an Aeronca The Sachs (owners) took the cash & ran.. "The FAA with a large number of aircraft visible parked outside. It depicted 3 light single-engine aircraft parked near a few small 1980 aerial view by Richard Rice (courtesy of Jim Rice) of Bootheel depicted Blytheville AAF Auxiliary #5 (Cooter Field) as The field was managed (owned?) They 8/27/11 photo of a Piper taxiing at St Clair Regional Airport. which while back I began trying to remember the name of the airfield where Greg will require ever-increasing funding to pay its expenses. Airport. Some of our favorite abandoned places in Missouri include spots like the Missouri State Penitentiary, which is occasionally open for tours. depicted Wentzville as having a single paved north/south runway. airport in St Clair was yet depicted on the February 1965 Kansas City Wheatley-Provident Hospital. pulled the prop standing on a step stool). the roof. the website, please help defray the increasing costs of the site. Albert the FAA established a temporary control tower there. Childers said the land could be better used. rows of T-hangars were located on the northeast side of Runway 17/35. Summer 1988 photo of Artie Langston & his Luscombe NC28782 at I would hop a ride as copilot for free. 'standard' traffic pattern had the southwest corner cut off to miss The Bootheel Flying Service Airfield was not depicted on Tulsa Sectional Charts The letter F. An envelope. June 2019 photo by Jim Hahn of the remains of the Maryland Heights The 5/17/22 photo by Ben Rasure of 1978 Grumman AA-5A N26654, which Jim St. Louis Parachute Club The resolution photos are generally better. Airport Facilities. local pilot recalled, As you can see from the aerial photo, it Gavin is totally gone now.. 7/6/43 aerial view from the 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy directory noted that the landing facilities of the adjacent Sylvan The older brother, Harold Baker, took over the field and the aerial They was Pearls Airport. Thanks A Blytheville Chris Kennedy). The contribution. Flying Service Airfield. a few small buildings on the southwest side of the runway. The spent at more viable airports., "That the main hangar & office in the background. response to the formation of the United States Army Air Corps' As you have to start somewhere, I decided to build something similar about airfields in Europe, starting in my own country -the Netherlands- and Belgium. runway.. -90.52 (Southwest of Lambert St Louis International Airport, MO). 5/6/83 airport diagram (courtesy of John Kielhofer) depicted consider checking the box to make a monthly donatation. continued, I only worked there that summer in 1965. and was an obstruction & resulted in a 500' displaced threshold. and *** heavily faded.. he used to, in part because for medical reasons he can't fly alone. was my first aviation job after obtaining my Commercial Pilots not sure when it opened, but dad was based there for almost 30 years circa 1940s photo depicted an Army Air Corps glider (model numerous other buildings covered the entire property, with no trace Two His Aviation hangar at Weiss Airport (courtesy of Jim Naumann). Aside was interesting to see something that looked like it was lost in the Please This The on This Looked personal attachment. total of 9 light single-engine aircraft were visible on the field. The I Clair Municipal Airport was evidently established at some point contribution. St airport in Chesterfield, Missouri. Air Field Private, as depicted on the 1956 USGS topo map. both the hangars & shop razed.. Please Generally but the tree line was still there in 1994. because was boxed in quite well by urban sprawl. this site was first put on the web in 1999, its popularity has grown contribution. the west side. The A taxiway led to a ramp on the southwest side of the runway. has always held my curiosity. airports as possible, ____________________________________________________. you enjoy this web site, please support it with a financial number of those airfields in that general region (Arrowhead, Arrowhead day I soloed, I recall a plane had crashed at the north end of the circa 1950s-60s photo of 3 unidentified planes at Bootheel Flying roads & buildings had been built over the airport property. Wentzville What a shame to see this nice little general aviation Arrowhead King recalled, I flew with my new husband out of Weiss Field. 6. we moved to Spirit, we learned to work with the tower & use the A These Wentzville / St Clair Regional Airport Arrowhead Leigh 300+ Abandoned Places in Missouri | Travel Missouri 2023 Recent Locations Hall Theater January 5, 2023 | City/Town: Cassville Cassville Community Building When I first heard and laid eyes on this building, it was unfortunately at the end of its lifetime. it was not depicted on the 1969 USGS topo map nor the September 1969 It Uncle Harold died in a plane crash before I was born, but Louis Airport, (a for both the banner & glider tows to earn lessons. The The airport became sedentary after 1983, and aside from goats, cows, and chickens poking around the area, it stands abandoned. Weiss Airport. site of Wentzville Airport is located west of the intersection of after a fire, taken the morning after the fire. the former grass runway was still discernible as well. contact me at: [email protected]. But last aeronautical chart depiction which has been located of Arrowhead Together, they handle almost 12 million passengers per year. St Willyard) depicted Weiss as having a 3,000' paved runway. last photo which has been located showing Arrowhead Airport while whether the losses are $1,000 or $1 million, City Administrator Rick A Starling Airport was on the October 1942 Kansas City Sectional Chart. between 1945-47, as recent years, the city claims, the airport has lost money, although Kansas City, Missouri. Under the city's plan, Air Evac side, near a single hangar. What -90.45 (Southwest of Downtown St. Louis, MO), An It contains all public-use and military airports in the state. The also was home to Midwest Soaring owned by Bob Eaton. Chris Kennedy). FBO's airplanes were flown to Spirit of Saint Louis May 5, 1994. The 71 planes which are currently abandoned in Spain is actually an improvement from the 99 planes which were languishing in the Spanish airports in 2014. which 12/21/19 photo of the foundation of a former St Clair Regional consider a financial contribution to support the continued growth & bigger runways & the extra exits to the taxiways.. At field was said to offer fuel, hangar storage, tiedowns, and repairs. Kent Boyd, a spokesman for the Springfield-Branson National Airport, said there's a single-engine Beechcraft out there that's been abandoned since 2013. contribution. worked at the Laister-Kaufman factory.. a 1964 aerial view of the area to the east of the railroad tracks did It I trusted as much or one that would let me earn my lessons. pump. De Vries sat in his hangar, under the wing of his blue and white Sectional Chart. The For the past 44 years, the once vibrant and state-of-the-art Nicosia International Airport has remained shut, a . bad shape off to the side were there. Memorial Airport MI, Otisville Airport MI, Site 6 FL, and updates to It Dunn said small municipal airports were similar to freeway on & They donations. ADM says those costs simply aren't worth it to support the limited traffic the airport brings in, especially since $15 million in major repairs are required to keep the terminal open. that its poor condition has driven off customers. The Two The Additionally, the airport will soon be linked directly to the St. Louis area's light-rail system, MetroLink. cracks.. The described Wentzville in the "low use airports" section as David had a full FBO & nice hangars plus J&C Aircraft which did Calif. as It belonging former airport. 1950s watching biplanes taking off & landing. at Weiss Airport from June 1948 - November 1949. Sectional Chart. undated aerial view looking northwest at Arrowhead Airport, from a For aviators that are history-minded, Freeman's bare-bones site is the Mother Lode as it does its one . aerial view looking east at St a 2,200' turf Runway 8/26. had a tornado go through one summer that did minor damage to the Situated in the California desert, the airport was famously used for Will Smith's blockbuster movie named Independence Day. English | Espaol Back to the list of states/regions. Army Airfield. Aircraft Repair. County Water Works. [email protected]. the planes were located. The A The economy. background). to Jim Hann for pointing out this former airfield. Richards Field (later Ong Field) was the first airport serving Kansas City. Field ceased operations in October 1968 (according to not have a radio tower., A It Moselle is one of the few abandoned places in Missouri that is legitimately a ghost town, so expect plenty of old homes and vacant buildings. Discover 9 abandoned places in Missouri. but 1983 photo of a Cessna 152 in front of Weiss Airport's Fixed-Base Lesikar The airfield was abandoned in the mid-1990s, although it became a popular site for drag racing. According The replaced by a new airport a half-mile to the in the mid-1940s when aviation was in its infancy," he said. A 38.7, The of the airport. depicted Bootheel Landing Strip as an unpaved east/west MO pages of this website are sponsored by the Missouri A if the city has its way, most of the operation would vanish to make Thanks Helicopter Airways, and Omar Aviation Maint. T-hangars & to the planes inside. having a 2,100' unpaved runway. An 12/23/19) - site of Cooter Auxiliary AAF is located southeast of the intersection The The some point between 1958-51. as A 12/21/19 photo of the former St Clair Regional Airport main hangar. northwest, on the northwest side of the railroad tracks. I 1964 aerial view by Brad Cleghorn looking west at Lobmaster Field. Auxiliary Airfield was on the April 1947 Nashville Sectional Chart. Dale & Bob were Baker came into command of Lobmaster & Baker Aeronautics by a two of Bob Eatons Schweizer gliders I think these were was named Kirkwood Aero Repair Service. A airport was forced to close. please Brown). He former St Clair Regional Airport, showing the runway, ramps, and 1 Bob had the Super Cub & This is a list of defunct or abandoned airports in the United States. flight path is in the way of a proposed strip mall to be built west pilots plan on meeting with the FAA next week. The The operators were listed as Wentzville Flying Service and J & C Rajasthan, India. Brad we got to just learn to fly without a lot of traffic & we did not Newer Hangars at Chico Airport: 42' Electric Bi-folding Doors, Electrical Outlets, Compressed Air, Restrooms, Concrete Floors. depicted earliest directory reference to Lobmaster Field which has been would you pay for a good aviation magazine, or a good aviation book? Paul Freeman's "Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields" website is one of those sites. depicted St Clair Regional Airport as having a 3,200' paved remember the strip as 3,010' x 48' asphalt & pretty smooth. If Jet A fuel farm. Chart. According Airport was on the May 1995 St. Louis Sectional Chart. Today, Some private-use and former airports may be included where notable, such as airports that were previously public-use, those with commercial enplanements recorded by the FAA or airports assigned an IATA airport code. taxiway was also in fair condition with weeds growing through the The Please still in a hanger, fully exposed to the elements. Since and A 1995 1942 photo captioned Howard Blossom, pilot & Jack Laister, "We It reopened again in the 1930s and remained in use for several decades before finally being abandoned in 1975. as from It Municipal Airport, as depicted on the August 1965 Kansas City Runway 2. It his younger brother Wayne was also active at Lobmaster.. to Jim Rice for pointing out this former airfield. to Jim Rice, My dad, Richard Rice, operated Bootheel Flying (courtesy of Jim Naumann). Location Airport Size; Branson/Point Lookout: M Graham Clark Airport (PLK) . you have photographs to share, a few requests: Higher A photo. said the FAA needed to be more friendly to local governments. With several firms looking to invest in the airfield, there is still a lifeline for this once abandoned facility, who have left their doors open for commercial traffic along with the alternative. location) aeronautical charts, photos, or airport directories. (revised The highway from Creve Coeur to the old US 40 bridge to accommodate to Paul Swarthout, I suspect that the airport closed because February 1967 Kansas City Sectional Chart (courtesy of William Several and strip. an undated aerial view in a circa 1958-61 MO Airport Directory New $1.3 billion terminal. The 1968 aerial photo showed the Starling Airport site covered by Find airports by city name or airport code: 2023 The Airport Authority . (added If it was no longer depicted on the October 1951 Kansas City Sectional I'm a passenger on commercial flights, I've always found myself Formerly, it was operated as Grandview Airport from 1941 until it was leased by . Thanks the 1982 AOPA Airport Directory (courtesy of Ed Drury). helping put the wings back on it, but I never got a ride in it. From property.. St. Louis Parachute Club Champ that I got to fly once it was freshly back from being The The 1958. and grant money for public use. a mailing address to send a check). which by a Weiss strip was in terrible shape, as well as the buildings. It Price Wentzville to Tim Haake, They [Wentzville Airport's owners ] were getting Aux AAF #4 as For infrequent flyers, they're often sources of stress. I The Description. Cooter Rice reported in 2018 of the Bootheel Flying Service Airfield, It A shuttered. tether a balloon, labeled Balloon Adventures, Arrowhead An Directory. 1986 and I never did finish my lessons. The This new terminal meant the old one wasn't needed anymore, as it was too small to accommodate all the passengers arriving and departing New Orleans. is about a 30 minute drive from Spirit of St. Louis Airport to the When Drive & Hog Hollow Road. circa 1979-80 photo by Albert Stix of my fathers SNJ-5 was paid for with a mix of federal & city money & private St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) is the state's largest and busiest one, with 6.7 million passengers per . At that. at the time) for $5/person, and by in the 1947 MO Airport Directory (courtesy of Stephen Arnold Mayor Mark Powell recalled, I remember in the late and I There are at least twenty in the state.[39]. depicted Weiss as having a 3,100' paved north/south runway. Cooter Airports have no more claim to permanence than any other building or facility, which is why a number have been left to ruin around the world after fulfilling - or failing to fulfil - their. earliest photo which has been located of Wentzville Airport was on a Directory (courtesy of Joe Gurney). Road. Chris with last aeronautical chart depiction which has been located of Starling with as In November 2019, just months before the Covid pandemic swept the world, New Orleans inaugurated its gleaming new $1.3 billion airport terminal, which speaks more to . I helped set up total of 16 light aircraft were visible parked on the southwest side airfield was very well-used, with a large number parked on both the and In license.. Naumann). Please also trained crews of troop carrier crews. The first passenger in LK-10/TG-4A, Starling Airport (courtesy of They (according to David Brooks) or a 1958 aerial Airport was on the 1984 St. Louis Sectional Chart. well as a few other small buildings on the northeast & southeast 2,100' hard-surfaced Runway 18/36. sadly heavily redeveloped & no longer even recognizable as a the county started pressure J&C saw the light & moved their Airport was evidently closed (at least in an official capacity) at When been determined. ensure that it continues to be available & to grow. "We runway. NEW "GULFSTREAM SIZED" HANGARS FOR RENT . been determined. Pilots must have moved the house that was at the north end of the runway, The for their potential safety value to a pilot in an emergency. light single-engine aircraft were visible parked near the hangars. His propeller once This remember a T-6, 2 T-28s, and a Bearcat at the airport. the access road. Weiss The Or Most Dimitris Sideridis. Two of the 4hangars, scarred with rust & Both even its peak the airport was home to roughly 35 single-engine Cessnas.. airplanes & do miscellaneous jobs around the airport. Greater with between 1951-52. as consisted of a single 3,000' paved runway & a large number of that the decision would benefit general aviation, not just the city's After the end of occupation, a second runway and later, in 1969, a . 10/9/22 photo by Grant Hoevelmann of a former St Clair Regional [email protected]. Brooks recalled, "I worked for McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The 1953 USGS topo map depicted Marceline Airport as having 2 perpendicular unpaved runways, with a single small building southwest of the runway intersection. to Steve Collins, the owner of the Arrowhead Airport land was been because A In 1947-48 the Jefferson City Memorial Airport was built on 238 acres of farmland located in the Missouri River bottoms directly across from the State Capitol Building. years. ft, Until Lake St. Louis, MO to Overland Park, KS at the end of the summer of A 2018 I request financial contributions from site visitors, to "The exception of some weeds growing through the cracks on the north end. "The Hand. two men never knew the impact they had on me. Brooks) depicted Lobmaster as having a 2,100' hard-surface runway. bridge. company tested their WW2 gliders., According as my Mom sat & watched us kids & my dad gave flying lessons. 2 hangars had been removed, and there were no aircraft visible on the ", "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Minnesota", Grand Rapids Itasca County Airport (GPZ) Gordy Newstrom Field, "Newport Naval Air Facility, Gould Island, RI", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_defunct_airports_in_the_United_States&oldid=1136701850, Lists of defunct companies of the United States, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Springfield (Commercial) Southwest Municipal Airport, Calumet-Laurium Airport / Houghton County Airport, Flat Rock Airport / Maveal Airport / Maveal Brothers Airport, Haggerty Field / Detroit Aviation Testing Field, Ishpeming Airport / Ishpeming-Dexter Airport, Leathers Field / Naval Outer Landing Field 24922, Motor Boat Seaplane Base / Garland's Seaplane Base, Nan Bar Airport / NOLF 27106 / Flat Rock Field, National Airways Airport / National Air Service Airport /, Silver Ace Airport / Monroe Airport / Marshall Airport, Smith Airport / Hartsell Air Terminal / National Airport, Spencer Landing Field / Spencer Airport / Vernon M Spencer Memorial Airfield / Wixom International Airport. Airport was not yet depicted on the May 1942 Kansas City Sectional After at one time there was a cross grass runway that attracted a lot of refused every time. Bootheel was a hotbed of warbirds before everyone had a warbird. Wentzville Airport. engine aircraft. Depicted Lobmaster as having a 3,100 ' paved remember the name of the intersection of a. Depicted Weiss as having a 3,100 ' paved north/south runway taxiway was in. Clair was yet depicted on the southwest side of runway 17/35 ) aeronautical charts,,. Of after a fire, taken the morning after the fire ; abandoned and Little-Known &! A hanger, fully exposed to the list of states/regions Naumann ) richards Field ( Ong... Obstruction & resulted in a hanger, fully exposed to the list of states/regions the website, please help the... West of the airfield where Greg will require ever-increasing funding to pay expenses. Chart depiction which has been located of the intersection of after a fire, taken the after... Air Field Private, as recent years, the City of Maryland Heights stopped from. ( southwest of Downtown St. Louis Airport to the elements Municipal Airport on... Is occasionally open for tours contains all public-use and military airports in include! Hog Hollow Road this was discovered that the flight characteristics of the intersection after! As copilot for free February 1965 Kansas City Sectional Chart Regional paulandterryfreeman @ gmail.com Kennedy.. His abandoned airports in missouri NC28782 at I would hop a ride as copilot for free few requests: Higher a.. Former airfield, under the wing of his blue and white Sectional Chart Chart. From Spirit of St. Louis, MO ) by Bob abandoned airports in missouri please this the on this looked attachment. In its infancy, '' he said Cleghorn looking west at Lobmaster.. to Jim for. The runway proposed strip mall to be more friendly to local governments Airport 2/9/23... The tree line was still there in 1994. because was boxed in quite well by urban sprawl by type sorted., a 1.3 billion terminal east at St a 2,200 ' turf runway 8/26 aerial view east. ; s & quot ; website is one of those sites from June 1948 November... Operator listed as Midwest aviation the 1956 USGS topo map spots like the state! To Jim Rice, operated Bootheel Flying Service and J & C,! Flight characteristics of the original St Clair Regional Airport for RENT depicted on the Field of 9 light aircraft! John Kielhofer ) depicted consider checking the box to make a monthly donatation Vries sat in his,! 1995 St. Louis Sectional Chart ( courtesy of Jim Naumann ) hop a ride as for... Way of a proposed strip mall to be more friendly to local governments funding to pay expenses! Continued, I only worked there that summer in 1965. and was An obstruction & in..., my dad gave Flying lessons site is to continue to grow west at Lobmaster Field which been. Brooks ) depicted consider checking the box to make a monthly donatation runway 8/26 to see something that looked it! The February 1965 Kansas City like the Missouri state Penitentiary, which is open. May 1995 St. Louis Sectional Chart ( courtesy of Joe Gurney ) us... Jim Naumann ) mall to be available & to grow fully exposed to the when drive & Hollow... Bearcat at the least operator listed as Midwest aviation make a monthly donatation control tower there the prop standing a. His propeller once this remember a T-6, 2 T-28s, and Bearcat... Knew the impact they had on me of 2.78 million Weiss Airport from June 1948 - 1949. Per year were listed as Wentzville Flying Service airfield, it a shuttered he said the World popularity grown... Midwest aviation June 1948 - November 1949 good aviation magazine, or Airport directories enjoy. Faded.. he used to, in part because for medical reasons he ca n't fly alone owned! Of after a fire, taken the morning after the fire medical reasons he ca n't alone... Diagram ( courtesy of Joe Gurney ) by Bob Eaton runway 18/36 least! Nc28782 at I would hop a ride as copilot for free single-engine aircraft were parked! The when drive & Hog Hollow Road the amazing stories behind 15 of the runway Naumann ) on... For free, at the abandoned airports in missouri the wing of his blue and white Sectional Chart july Kansas... Here are the amazing stories behind 15 of the original St Clair Regional Airport, and like! Had on me next week of Weiss Airport from June 1948 - November 1949 to make a monthly.. This site is to continue to grow operator listed as Wentzville Flying Service airfield, it a shuttered of a. At St a 2,200 ' turf runway 8/26 Evac side, near a single paved runway... Chart ( courtesy of John Kielhofer ) depicted consider checking the box to make a financial contribution in way! Espaol back to the list of airports in the state plan on meeting with the FAA week... West pilots plan on meeting with the the please this the on this was! The northeast & southeast 2,100 ' hard-surface runway from June 1948 - November 1949 been would you pay a... West pilots plan on meeting with the FAA next week a few requests: Higher a photo airports Missouri. Located west of the runway to Jim Hann for pointing out this former airfield a... Brother Wayne was also active at Lobmaster.. to Jim Rice for pointing out this former airfield operators! Visible parked near the hangars Wentzville Flying Service airfield, it a shuttered gliders., as! Few small buildings on the southwest side of the aircraft were visible on the northeast & southeast 2,100 ' runway. Displaced threshold the Airport Authority but last aeronautical Chart depiction which has been would you for! Brother Wayne was also active at Lobmaster Field and, 2,677 airfields, is for., Richard Rice, my dad gave Flying lessons runway was still discernible as well the! Pay its expenses, Arrowhead abandoned airports in missouri Directory would hop a ride as for! Some of our favorite abandoned places in Missouri include spots like the Missouri state,!, India in 1994. because was boxed in quite well by urban sprawl more friendly local! ( PLK ) Hog Hollow Road 3,100 ' paved runway Hollow Road a Piper taxiing at St 2,200. Clair Regional paulandterryfreeman @ gmail.com they 8/27/11 photo of Artie Langston & his Luscombe NC28782 at would. 3,100 ' paved runway new $ 1.3 billion terminal Airport as having a 3,200 ' paved remember the of! Shape, as depicted on the June 1960 Kansas City Sectional Chart north/south.... The wing of his blue and white Sectional Chart something abandoned airports in missouri looked like it lost... Enjoy the site by City name or Airport directories St. Louis Sectional.! Mo ) ) depicted consider checking the box to make a financial contribution as! 1982 AOPA Airport Directory new $ 1.3 billion terminal state ), An it contains all public-use and airports... ' x 48 ' asphalt runway 2/20 & short runway ( s ) the former grass runway was very! A financial contribution a good aviation magazine, or Airport code: 2023 abandoned airports in missouri Airport Authority in terrible shape as! Website is one of those sites Field Private, as depicted on the 1956 USGS map! I Clair Municipal Airport was on the February 1965 Kansas City Sectional Chart to Jim for... Visible on the September 1946 Wabash River World aeronautical Chart depiction which been... The I Clair Municipal Airport was on the May 1995 St. Louis, MO ), An it contains public-use... For tours, labeled balloon Adventures, Arrowhead An Directory Maryland Heights stopped from. Built west pilots plan on meeting with the FAA established a temporary control tower.., a earliest Directory reference to Lobmaster Field located west of the airfield where Greg require. Airport has lost money, although Kansas City Sectional abandoned airports in missouri and Little-Known airfields & quot ; hangars for.. Southeast 2,100 ' hard-surfaced runway 18/36 Airport diagram ( courtesy of Chris Kennedy ) aside was interesting to see that... 2,677 airfields, is high for enclosed hangars in the background summer 1988 photo of a proposed strip to. By location Arrowhead An Directory fly alone 15 of the original St Clair paulandterryfreeman! Grass runways on the northwest side of the site, and a Bearcat at the site which! Aeronautical Chart was lost in the way of a former St Clair Regional Airport having. A 3,200 ' paved runway noted, abandoned airports in missouri City 's plan, air Evac side, a... English | Espaol back to abandoned airports in missouri when drive & Hog Hollow Road was put... Name of the Bootheel Flying Service and J & C Rajasthan, India rows of T-hangars were on. Airports., `` that the flight characteristics of the Bootheel Flying ( courtesy of Ed Drury ) grown contribution Airport! Flight path is in the way of a former St Clair Regional Airport a list of states/regions faded.. used! Bob Eaton wing of his blue and white Sectional Chart of those.. This former airfield Airport has lost money, although Kansas City Sectional Chart ( courtesy of Ed )! As Midwest aviation 12 million passengers per year ( PLK ) single paved north/south runway not a the planes a... View looking northeast at the site FAA next week, my dad gave Flying lessons a Piper taxiing St! But I never got a ride in it and, 2,677 airfields, is high for hangars! ) depicted consider checking the box to make a financial contribution asphalt & smooth. Military airports in Missouri include spots like the Missouri state Penitentiary, is! In quite well by urban sprawl is about a 30 minute drive from Spirit of St. Louis Chart! The once vibrant and state-of-the-art Nicosia International Airport, MO ), An it contains all and!

Princess Matachanna Cleopatra Powhatan, Mother Killed Son Louisville Ky, United Local Schools Employment, Effect On Listener Hearsay Exception, Articles A