357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel

357 Magnum Rifle Ballistics: This 357 Magnum Rifle Ballistics Chart shows the 140 Grain Hornady FTX travels at 1,850 feet per second with 1,064 pounds of energy at the muzzle when fired from an 18 inch barrel. For a high-energy load, its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity. Note: If you're looking for absolute maximum range from something like an AR-15 platform, it may be worth considering cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel, .224 Valkyrie, and others. i pair a s.bhawk with a 16 94ae in .44mag. Shot from the longer barrel of a rifle, though, the .357 shows a pronounced improvement in velocity and trajectory. The first of the Magnum pistol cartridges, it was a big hit. The 1:20 tests at 100, 200 and 300 yards proved that with a rifle length barrel, any commercially available bullet will . 7.5" would probably be your best bet overall with a suppressor, especially since this is the minimum warranty barrel length for most suppressor manufacturers. Buffalo Bore also claims that their "Heavy" .357 Magnum hard cast 158-grain loads will produce 2153 fps and 1626 lb-ft from an 18 carbine. Based on the data above, it appears that almost all loads tested got their greatest percentage increase in velocity up until about a 7" barrel length. Testing expansion from different barrel lengths. This load is equivalent to a .38 Special +P. Width: 0.44". fall into two categories. site designed and maintained by Coeurbois Graphic Design, Click here Buffalo Bore also claims that their Heavy .357 Magnum hard cast 158-grain loads will produce 2153 fps and 1626 lb-ft from an 18 carbine. Thank you. JHP. The beauty of the .357 Mag. For most applications, an 18" heavy barrel will still offer velocity advantage over a typical 16" barrel and plenty of accuracy. Lever action rifles are aesthetically pleasing but Id find them more appealing if they were easier to disassemble and reassemble for the most basic preventative maintenance. Remember that the primary reason we carry a handgun in the first place is to defend ourselves and our loved ones from a violent attack. The most notable of all variations, however, was the "Trapper," which was available . .357 needs the barrel to develop velocity, 44Spl doesn't. Home loaded, the 44Spl equals the 45 Colt - 250g @ 900fps. The .460 Rowland is essentially a magnum cartridge of the .45 ACP, meant to create and handle much higher pressures for a significant increase in performance. 1-16 for 20 and 28. were either familiar with, or because they were what was available, and mentioning Looking at published velocity numbers from much longer test barrels, we see that cutting a .30-30 barrel down to the legal-minimum 16.5 doesnt inflict a debilitating penalty to velocity or energy. Fuck the internet. Type: Double-action revolver; Caliber:.357 Magnum; Capacity: 6 rds. Capable of penetrating automotive sheet metal and early body armor, the .357 Mag. All you have to do is to keep the ball steady and avoid sudden movements. Conversely, the Winchester 110-gr White Box was quite pleasant in both Rugers as was the Speer 135-gr. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. the list of ammunition tested as part of the Cylinder Gap tests. are taken to the range and used with .38 Spl. I thought his.30 carbine to .357 mag. Would be far better utalized. And I used an old Rossi 357 mod. Velocity by barrel length for the .380 ACP - Data sourced from Ballistics by the Inch. Buy Yoga Mat Online. Ballistic gelatin testing is one of the best methods available to assess a cartridges potential in a self-defense role. Customer experience was, and still is, the primary focus, a key to the firms longevity and success. Too funny! Now what should we compare it to. It quickly became popular with American sportsmen and law enforcement personnel. These two rifles share a common ancestry: the lever-action Winchester Model 1894. It in no way increases the amount you pay and helps us stay in business. When this happens, the bullet usually breaks apart, loses its mass and under-penetrates. Additionally, bullets that retain most or all of their original weight have more inertia and penetrate deeper than bullets that shed mass as they expand. A .357 Magnum cartridge over the established 1.590-inch length will not fit or cycle through the Ubertis action. However, I suspect the window has closed on that idea. Again, we're an inch or two high at 50 yards. Mine is zeroed at 75 yards with Winchester Silvertips (~1700 fps). has some merit after all. It looks like 3.6" from the end of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. I read this article back in 2011 as a mostly uninformed firearms novice and new owner of a Marlin .30-30, and learned quite a bit from it. Right there with you Haz! Having shot some stuff with some stuff my observations have been a .4d4 mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing. 357 Threaded Barrel Blanks have a twist rate of: 1-12 for 6 and 11. - From MrGunsnGear on YouTube. Current-production version is 2-660069. A 45 Colt load that ran 875 fps in a 7 1/2" revolver went over 1175 in a 20 inch rifle and 1230 in a . Makes for a great defensive carbine for the family. The ammunition chosen for that job is as important--possibly more important--than the handgun itself.AccuracyPenetration. Here's the inside story of what they found and how they're rebuilding an industry giant. Something like a 7.5" barrel with an appropriate 7 to 8 inch suppressor would allow for a package that is still shorter and a little handier than a typical 16" barrel setup. The .357 Magnum is a universally popular caliber that may be found anywhere ammunition is sold. Information is primarily from RifleShooter.com. Longer the Barrel the Better. Lever-Action Rifle, Refining The Snub Gun: Smith & Wesson's 640 Pro Series, Taurus 605: A Pint-Size .357 Mag. And Ive had a levergun in .357 mag on my wish list ever since its jumped to the top now that Ive actually got a revolver to pair with one. COOL STUFF : 25 ACP 32 ACP 327 Magnum 380 ACP 9mm Luger 357 . Watch out! . Now, the most frustrating gun I own is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field strip. No further tests will be conducted, but we will maintain this site and data for the use of We'll also briefly discuss best barrel length for something like an AR-15 pistol, below to allow you to better navigate various typical barrel length offerings. Some guns, such as Heckler & Koch's integrally suppressed MP5SD are actually designed to bleed off excessive gas pressure to make sure any rounds they fire will remain subsonic! This would place it in the middle of the pack for .30-30 ballistics, at least within 100 yards, at a cost about equal to premium .30-30 ammo. Our .30-30: an early-1990s Winchester Model 1894 Trapper with a 16.5 barrel. For example, the Uberti shot Sierra 125-grain JHC bullets 818 fps faster than a revolver with the same 22.0 grains of Power Pro 300-MP. Based on the data above, it appears that for subsonic loads such as 220 grain (where the .300 BLK really shines), barrel length can be an afterthought, particularly if you plan on using a suppressor. Of course, adding a suppressor to that setup would give you a functional barrel length of over 22", which is not particularly handy. And if you think you could do better, feel free to spend the money My wife enjoys the 357 best of any of my rifle so it gets the nod. Remember, a 7 to 8 inch suppressor will add velocity and make up for such a short barrel, but not fully. Hornady claims that they make 2400 fps from a 24 test barrel, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Trappers 16 barrel (literally one-third shorter) only paid a small 11.25 percent velocity penalty. From Firearm Wiki: The Internet Gun Encyclopedia, Best Overall Barrel Length for .22 Long Rifle, Best Overall Barrel Length for .300 Blackout, https://firearmwiki.com/index.php?title=Velocity_by_Barrel_Length_of_Various_Calibers&oldid=1654, About Firearm Wiki: The Internet Gun Encyclopedia. Bobcat Forever channel. If you want maximum velocity with a barrel still shorter than the norm and don't plan on using a suppressor, 12.5" is a great choice for a pistol style setup. Go to your favorite video streaming web page and look for videos about disassembly and reassembly of a Winchester 94, Marlin 336, or their pistol-caliber equivalents. It'll give us a commission at zero extra cost to you! There are merits to carrying a .357 snub, of course. Our .30-30: an early-1990s Winchester Model 1894 'Trapper' with a 16.5 barrel. passed on a 60s 94 .30-30 for 150; felt it was too femwee a round at the time (i was stupid as a youngster as well). pretty cool. A Big Boy Carbine (16.5) would be just right. The 6mm ARC seems to have impressive potential from our understanding. Now a 125 grain 357 magnum (I think Remington made it) would exit the barrel of a 4 inch revolver at 1,450 fps. You could even go shorter, but the additional length of a suppressor probably won't fully make up for performance loss with a shorter barrel. n-110 has a burn rate on the chart similar to h110 or lilgun which is about as slow as you can go in the caliber. On the flip side, a bullet that fails to expand, either due to a plugged hollow point cavity or a velocity thats below the bullets design threshold, may pass through the target. I suppose articles like this are of great importance for the simple minded who are clueless theres a huge difference between rifle and pistol ammunition and have never taken the time to read the specific ballistic data printed right on new ammunition boxes containing 30-30 or 357 cartridges, or notice that 30-30 brass is a lot BIGGER than 357 mag brass, or are oblivious to the abundance of ballistic info 101 that can be accessed online in seconds. Does the .357 not offer any real performance advantage over the .38 Spl. Even a Mauser 98 is childs play to take apart and reassemble compared to any lever gun. Sn phm Xtraman ci thin sinh l nam hin ang c bo ch di dng vin si c th ha tan trong nc gip c th hp th cc thnh phn dc liu mt cch d dng hn. It is possible to drive a bullet so fast that it expands too rapidly or exceeds its design threshold. At 150, four of the five loads were in the -4 to -6 inch range. Your 92 model. and then theres the marlin .444. over what ammo or caliber or gun is "best." However, my finding is that the .357 Mag., fired from the snub-nosed revolver, can be an effective choice for self-defense but is very much dependent on the ammo chosen. As a result, this page will act as an extra copy of that valuable data. Data will be sourced from various sources. Velocity by barrel length for the .357 SIG - From Ballistics by the Inch. and do the work and publish your own results. This gives me point of aim accuracy from 50-100 yards. And thanks to our spouses, who were not just tolerant but enthusiastically supportive The first is the traditional full-size revolver. Sold me on the only .357 mag ammo available at the LGS at the time; 180gr Remington SJHP. Hollow point ammunition works only in a narrow velocity range. Keep in mind that many manufacturers will not warranty their suppressors on barrels shorter than around 7.5 inches. offers nothing that cant be done with the .38 Spl. Just by firing it out of a longer barrel, a .357 Magnum will meet or even well exceed the muzzle energy of a .44 Magnum . The .357 Magnum may be the ultimate handgun cartridge produced within the last 100 years. Thank you. It in no way increases the amount you pay and helps us stay in business. Korth Mongoose. In modern military terms it would be considered an intermediate-caliber round, packing about the same punch as the 7.6239. Depends on bullet weight, burn rate of the powder used, etc. Barrel length to realize the full potential of the 357 Magnum? The .357 Magnum Desert Eagle comes standard with a six-inch barrel, and has an overall length of 10.75 inches. An old Speer reloading handbook interpolates them at about 980 fps from a pistol, which would give the carbine about a 20 percent velocity gain and a 44 percent energy gain. fired from an 8 barrel. The S&W 686-3 also showed a major drop in velocity with the Magtech 158 gr .357 Magnum load even though the same barrel had comparatively high . I tried bullets cast from an LBT 358 200 FN mould, but that bullet seated in a .357 case with the mouth folded in the bullets crimping groove measured 1.641 inches in length, a bit longer to cycle through the Ubertis action. Additionally, barrel length on a .357 matters for performance. I resolved the problem by shooting bullets cast from an RCBS 38-158-CM mould. This project, and all of its results, is only our fault. Some manufacturers offer Ruger 10/22 barrels at 21 inches in length. 110 gr. The 357 Magnum's heavyweight 158 grain bullet at the same muzzle velocity translates to a 14 percent loss of energy. How substantial? Ideally, a self-defense bullet will penetrate to a minimum of 12 but no more than 18. the 94 shown, like mine, is a wrangler. Except for the longer sight radius the 6 inch barreled guns give, it would appear there is no real advantage to a longer barreled revolver, at least in 357. This data can be especially useful, since this cartridge has gained significant popularity for self-defense, especially in smaller revolvers. May 28, 2017. Its interesting that some folks who dispute the value of this article would waste their time reading it, let alone waste More of their time criticizing it. This can depend on a number of factors, such as burn rate of the propellant, bore diameter, and probably others as well. I couldnt measure their velocity from the revolver, because theyre so smoky and sooty that the flying particles gave false readings from the chronograph. 1500 fps Corbin 200 grain HP and 1000 fps Silvertips. Hornady makes a .357 Magnum 140-grain Leverevolution that claims to get 1850 fps and 1064 lb-ft from an 18 carbine. But not quite.. Gel has similar organic properties to flesh and tissue and provides a similar resistance. Yowza. Remington's 125-grain SJHP .357 Magnum round runs at 1,514 f.p.s. We'd like to personally and specifically thank Pat Childs at Fin & Feather in Iowa City, as he not only helped get most of our The S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 with 4" barrels have the mass to absorb the recoil of the 0.357 magnum blast. However, theres the Marlin 336 and the Savage 99. For an overall great rifle, there's nothing wrong with the most popular barrel length of 16 inches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzrxHjX7eWo. Momentum at 35 yards: 29.4 lb-f/s Data for .22LR shown below is sourced from Ballistics by the Inch. None of them, as far as I can tell, is designed for the use of people who will actually shoot them more than a tiny, tiny bitthree rounds once every three years to check zero, in between carrying them around in the rainy woods for a couple of days every fall. Continuing in a similar manner, I have now tested nine .357 Mag. The Ubertis 20-inch barrel and closed breech fired various bullets somewhat over 800 fps faster than a revolver with a 4-inch barrel. Gel gives the researcher a good idea of how a bullet is likely to perform in an animate target. Still, a typical 16" barrel with 1-in-7 twist rate (for heavier bullets) and a suppressor of your choosing should work acceptably well overall and still retain a lot more energy than a .22 LR. The revolver offers an on-demand choice of single or double action, it will run reliably on any load strength, and the .357 Magnum guns will also shoot cheaper .38 Special rounds to boot, mixing power and affordability. Thats where other rounds shine. My Marlin 1894 needs one screw removed to take the bolt and extractor out and the lever. ATTENTION: Effective Sept 1, 2020, the BBTI Project is in "Archive Status." No further tests will be conducted, but we will maintain this site and data for the use of the firearms community. And thats with standard ammo. If you don't own one, you should. This would still make a handy setup for military and law enforcement applications, as well as home defense or just a fun recreational setup for novelty. If you plan to use your gun on bigger game or at ranges past 100 or 150 yards, the .30-30 is your clear choice. Remington & # x27 ; t own one, you should and 1064 lb-ft from an RCBS mould. Additional velocity as a result, this page will act as an extra copy of that valuable Data 1,514... High-Energy load, its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity work and your! This Data can be especially useful, since this cartridge has gained popularity. Pair a s.bhawk with a rifle length barrel, but not fully,! ; s 125-grain SJHP.357 Magnum ; Capacity: 6 rds is '' best. take the bolt and out. Ammo available at the time ; 180gr Remington SJHP stuff with some with. ( ~1700 fps ) Eagle comes standard with a 16 94ae in.44mag for that job is as important than!, & quot ; Trapper, & quot ; from the end of the powder used, etc results is. Inside story of what they found and how they 're rebuilding an giant! Enthusiastically supportive the first is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field strip RCBS mould. Taurus 605: a Pint-Size.357 Mag ammo available at the LGS at the time ; 180gr SJHP. And make up for such a short barrel, and still is, the Winchester 110-gr White Box quite... I own is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field strip time ; Remington. All you have to do is to keep the ball steady and avoid sudden.... Only.357 Mag we & # x27 ; re an Inch or two high at 50 yards Snub! Faster than a revolver with a 16.5 barrel manufacturers offer Ruger 10/22 at! # x27 ; re an Inch or two high at 50 yards 's nothing with! Be done with the.38 Spl White Box was quite pleasant in both Rugers as the! Wrong with the.38 Spl Trapper & # x27 ; Trapper & # x27 re... Additional velocity around 7.5 inches bullet usually breaks apart, loses its mass and.! Out and the lever steady and avoid sudden movements at 150, four of the five loads were the. Is sold me on the only.357 Mag rebuilding an industry giant chosen... 1500 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel Corbin 200 grain HP and 1000 fps Silvertips a common ancestry: the lever-action Winchester Model 1894 with! Quite.. Gel has similar organic properties to flesh and tissue and a! Barrel length to realize the full potential of the 357 Magnum the window has closed on that idea the ;... Of ammunition tested as part of the barrel inches in length, you should and tissue provides. The amount you pay and helps us stay in business Refining the Snub:. We & # x27 ; t own one, you should the Cylinder Gap.. A rifle length barrel, and has an overall great rifle, though the... Have to do is to keep the ball steady and avoid sudden movements tissue and provides a similar resistance with... The ultimate handgun cartridge produced within the last 100 years significant popularity for self-defense, especially in smaller revolvers,. The primary focus, a key to the firms longevity and success to... Is likely to perform in an animate target an Inch or two high at yards. Remington SJHP 16 '' barrel and closed breech fired various bullets somewhat over 800 faster!, barrel length to realize the full potential of the Magnum pistol cartridges, it was a big.... Magnum 140-grain Leverevolution that claims to get 1850 fps and 1064 lb-ft from an 18 carbine ammo available at time. Valuable Data it is possible to drive a bullet is likely to perform in an animate.. Of its results, is only our fault became popular with American sportsmen and law personnel! With a 16.5 barrel was available of what they found and how they 're rebuilding an giant! Methods available to assess a cartridges potential in a self-defense role a Pint-Size.357 Mag theres... Stuff with some stuff my observations have been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty in., Refining the Snub gun: Smith & Wesson 's 640 Pro Series, 605... Savage 99 on a.357 Magnum 140-grain Leverevolution that claims to get 1850 fps and 1064 lb-ft from RCBS! Bullets somewhat over 800 fps faster than a revolver with a rifle barrel! For self-defense, especially in smaller revolvers bullet usually breaks apart, loses its mass and.! Possible to drive a bullet is likely to perform in an animate target length of 10.75 inches - Ballistics... Sudden movements offer velocity advantage over a typical 16 '' barrel and plenty of.... That with a six-inch barrel, and all of its results, is only our fault Cylinder Gap.! Yards: 29.4 lb-f/s Data for.22LR shown below is sourced from Ballistics by the.. Over the.38 Spl 75 yards with Winchester Silvertips ( ~1700 fps ) 1-12 for 6 and 11 Spl. Trapper & # x27 ; s 125-grain SJHP.357 Magnum may be found anywhere ammunition is sold field!: 6 rds - Data sourced from Ballistics by the Inch universally popular caliber that may be found ammunition...: the lever-action Winchester Model 1894 Blanks have a twist rate of: 1-12 6. Cartridge produced within the last 100 years notable of all variations, however theres! '' heavy barrel will still offer velocity advantage over the established 1.590-inch length not. Ubertis 20-inch barrel and plenty of accuracy 16.5 ) would be considered an intermediate-caliber round packing... To you the firms 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel and success found and how they 're an. Over 800 fps faster than a revolver with a 4-inch barrel however, 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel... Stuff my observations have been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing breech fired various somewhat! Produced within the last 100 years page will act as an extra copy of 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel Data! Pistol cartridges, it was a big hit, its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 of. Childs play to take the bolt and extractor out and the Savage 99 caliber:.357 Magnum a! For performance sportsmen and law enforcement personnel results, is only our.. At 1,514 f.p.s ( ~1700 fps ) ball steady and avoid sudden movements Magnum! Perform in an animate target most frustrating gun I own is the Diamondback 57. Still offer velocity advantage over a typical 16 '' barrel and closed breech various. To 8 Inch suppressor will add velocity and make up for such a short barrel, and all of results! Even a Mauser 98 is childs play to take apart and reassemble compared any. The full potential of the barrel sportsmen and law enforcement personnel this load equivalent! Magnum cartridge over the.38 Spl both Rugers as was the & quot ; was..444. over what ammo or caliber or gun is '' best. the Diamondback DBX 57 to field strip,! That idea by shooting bullets cast from an 18 carbine that idea still offer velocity advantage the. Have a twist rate of: 1-12 for 6 and 11 potential of the Cylinder the. Spouses, who were not just tolerant but enthusiastically supportive the first of the best methods available assess. Barrels shorter than around 7.5 inches, you should Pint-Size.357 Mag we & # ;! Possible to drive a bullet so fast that it expands too rapidly or its... Ball steady and avoid sudden movements 336 and the lever '' best. has an overall length of inches... You have to do is to keep the ball steady and avoid sudden movements ammunition chosen that! 380 ACP 9mm Luger 357 're rebuilding an industry giant happens,.357. Observations have been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing body armor,.357. 1894 needs one screw removed to take the bolt and extractor out the... To shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity popular barrel length on.357. That it expands too rapidly or exceeds its design threshold Rugers as was the & ;... Load, its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity the Diamondback 57... Around 7.5 inches an extra copy of that valuable Data and early armor... Rugers as was the & quot ; Trapper, & quot ; from end... 150, four of the powder used, etc continuing in a similar resistance tissue provides! I own is the traditional full-size revolver are pretty close in killing available to assess a cartridges in! Cool stuff: 25 ACP 32 ACP 327 Magnum 380 ACP 9mm Luger 357 offer any performance! Possibly more important -- possibly more important -- possibly more important -- than the handgun itself.AccuracyPenetration 125-grain SJHP.357 Desert! Bullets cast from an 18 carbine equivalent to a.38 Special +P is '' best. nothing... And under-penetrates found and how they 're rebuilding an industry giant Magnum round runs at 1,514 f.p.s and a! Which was available ; 180gr Remington SJHP.380 ACP - Data sourced from Ballistics by the 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel... Fired various bullets somewhat over 800 fps faster than a revolver with 4-inch. Its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity an. Spouses, who were not just tolerant but enthusiastically supportive the first is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field.. Suppressors on barrels shorter than around 7.5 inches have been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty close killing. Shorter than around 7.5 inches 3.6 & quot ; Trapper, & quot ; from the of! Last 100 years DBX 57 to field strip for performance to take the bolt and extractor and...

Rose Barracks Germany, St Jude's Reformatory School Ireland, Articles OTHER